• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Shroomed

Smash Master
i've yet to see the man that can upB cancel OOS consistently

that would be so useful

normal upBing outta shield is kinda risky cuz sometimes they can hit you before you hit the ground or before the upB lag is gone

i'd respond to the rest of ur post but it's late and im sleepy

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
uuuum I was gunna say some **** i cant remember.
Up+b cancel OoS. There was a doc in ga that could do it consistently. He put it to some pretty good use. People say it was like, hard as balls to put any real pressure on him.

I keep saying ima sit down and practice, but I'm lazy.

As for just up+bing oos in general, it's a should-but-doesnt happen kinda thing. Like, some docs do it, and others dont. (I fall into the dont category myself)

We all probably should, but everytime I start thinkin about it, I keep telling myself it's not as good as samus'.

Im a bum.

Pi

Smash Hero
TBH Ub cancel doesn't seem all that hard, I'll practice it and try to put it to some use I guess
And I think my samus background gonna help w/ knowing when to UB OoS
Lol, Doc is a fun *** character
and yea, even samus's UB OoS doesn't always go unpunished

Also whats up with his Dair, seems super hard to L cancel, does it combo into anything?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
TBH Ub cancel doesn't seem all that hard, I'll practice it and try to put it to some use I guess
And I think my samus background gonna help w/ knowing when to UB OoS
Lol, Doc is a fun *** character
and yea, even samus's UB OoS doesn't always go unpunished

Also whats up with his Dair, seems super hard to L cancel, does it combo into anything?
Not 100% effective cuz its slower or they DI up or something weird, but I like to do everything Fox can do out of it, like grab mostly. Sometimes i forget and shine, but the tornado gets them anyways His dair hits a few times so you want to learn the timing of it specifically like fox's drill.

Pi

Smash Hero
Not 100% effective cuz its slower or they DI up or something weird, but I like to do everything Fox can do out of it, like grab mostly. Sometimes i forget and shine, but the tornado gets them anyways His dair hits a few times so you want to learn the timing of it specifically like fox's drill.
hm okay, ty

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yea, rest's hitbox is like inside of jiggs, so you can hit her w/o getting rested. just space it well.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
does anyone know how to beat peach and sheik efficiently with doc??

i have tendencies to not know what to when at times while peach is floating

and i have trouble getting around sheiks ftilt

if anyone can help with those things and the matchup in general hahaa, much appreciated

anthony000

Smash Journeyman
CC dsmash sheik's ftilt, or bait that ish and punish. But remember, you can cc A LOT of sheik's moveset. Somebody recently said that in this thread. Throw a bunch of pills against Peach, and wd>ftilt is good, but approaching her really isn't necessary. Read her, and make her come to you. Once you get your hands on her(grab), killing her really isn't that difficult. If she's floating high above you, I wouldn't challenge that with anything but the tip of uair or utilt. That's if you're going to challenge her up there. Hope this helps somewhat.

Shroomed

Smash Master
if i meet cansel irl, im punching him in the chest

WHY CANT I DO THAT? **** AINT FAIR

im tellin u brandon, sheik doc is 50/50!
CG that ho, dsmash that ho, combo that ho!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Good luck grabbing and cging a DECENT (not even good/great/amazing) Sheik to death all 4 stocks. That's all I'm saying.
*snaps fingers*

wish ida got some stuff recorded from herb.

___

Speaking of herb, i'll do a writeup of it later. It was PRETTY GOOD.

>.>

<.<

DIE!

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Usually when I'm playing Peach, and she's either floating in the air or standing on a platform, I run away.
Do not challenge the Peach.

Desh

Smash Ace
sh pill. or standing pill.
wheres yo approach at.
cape knocks peach out of her float also iirc.
You could also space a sh uair on her.

dont bother nairing. She are win you.

I actually like following a pill with a fair against peach, fair approach is good against here if you do it right.

otg

Smash Master
To my knowledge cape does not knock her out of float, or atleast when I've tried it, it didnt work. Also, JPOBS, her Dsmash eats throgh pretty much anthing when she is on platforms, so trying to uairs could lead into CC **** against you, so I dont know how good that piece of advice is.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
sh pill. or standing pill.
wheres yo approach at.

dont bother nairing. She are win you.

I actually like following a pill with a fair against peach, fair approach is good against here if you do it right.
Very much agreed. Thing is, you need to tempt her into screwing up her spacing or find some ways to mindgame so the approach doesnt get too predictable. Fair has definitely served me best against Peach in the past, but you always need to watch out that she doesnt have the chance to Nair you out of the kobe.

Edit: Also, any samus advice? Or is there even such a thing?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So herb2.
-skips random nonsense on friday leading to herb2-

Actually, I will note that while playing some team friendlies, i got this hilarious *** tech chase combo. Upsmash -> upsmash -> upsmash -> upsmash -> f.air. It was just comical.

__

Just some quick highlights from the tourney itself.

Teams: I teamed with Gofg, IC main from NC. ****, was, hilarious. My whole strat was like "can he chaingrab? (looks over) yeah he looks fine -goes to do random nonsense-" Aaaaaaand first game we played in brackets we 8stocked the other team. Technically we jv 8 stocked them because my last hit killed the guy and gofg, but I like saying we 8stocked them to boost my worthless ego. ^_^

Um, we got like, 9th or so? I dunno. I really was on autopilot the whole time in teams. We really didnt work together as much as we just kinda did our own thing and only met up when both of our targets wound up near each other. -shrug-

Singles: Landed 2nd seed in my pool. 2-0'd everybody cept for 'That maa****er from the combo vids' Chudat, who 2-0'd me.

People got the business in pools. It was fun. Some people got hit with the Kagekaze (which Im going to officially rename the Kumite just because that's kooler).

I didnt know anybody in the pool aside from chu. I actually didnt get to see the pool sheet. The guy runnin the pull basically just had me play all my matches in a row. First time I got to be "that guy". It was interesting.

*random note* for anybody who doesnt know, you just dont have a reason to jump at sheik if she's neutral (read: not in an animation). You just wont win. Same goes with marth, really. Somebody was asking me about doc matchups during pools and I almost crammed my controller down their throat while explaining that idea. And then I proceeded to jump clean into a sheikslap. Like a champ.

*vs IC Note* I actually didnt do bad against chu, like I thought I would. I actually held my own, didnt get annhilated by grabs, or anything of the like (He pulled some Chu Dat nonsense on me, but.... he's chu, that's his purpose in life. :D) I did learn (read: pretty much confirm i guess?) that ICs really dont have any chaingrab on doc. I always had it in the back of my mind that there has to be something crazy that people overlook, but there really isnt. Chu checked me with d.throw -> d.air to see if I was ******** and thankfully I passed that test (read: I di'd away.) so then he just proceeded to try/succeed in comboing the crap out of me from grabs. It was fun.

*General note* What really got me jacked up by chu was his jab mixups. Lately i've been kinda thinkin about it reaaaal hard (especially after the disaster of a set with chops), but kinda just drew blanks about all of the actual options from mixups. Then chu came along was like "Well here, how bout I just f**k with your head with a while and see if you pick up on it." And I did. It's kinda ironic, because I actually did watch alot of chu vids from a while ago to learn stuff about ground game, but I guess the jab mixups never clicked in my head until I was there holding the sticks.

__
So after pools comes brackets, yaaaaaaaaaay.

1) First game I had cyrain. Before we started playing, he starts running off at the mouth about how he has problems with marios. Well good for him he decided to pull out falco, and I have an inherit problem with lasers (Black people, guns, i dunno?) Aaaand I lost. It wasnt bad on my end (not enough to where Im crying), it's cyrain, he's pretty good. He played good. That's waht gets Ws.

*random tidbit* I think I got yet-another crazy idea of how to practice against lasers by yourself. Im going to try it out and get back to you guys on it. ..... Solo practice, woo. -rolls eyes-

2) So first game in losers bracket, I get Audi. He plays marth. It goes aight. He did some nice spacing and was doin good at keeping me out. Thing was, I sat around in shield alot and he kept throwing f.smashes. That's a pretty nice thing to have for doc in the matchup.

*Blocked f.smash* -> WD In -> d.smash. It's pretty kool. Grab is kooler if you're on top of things.

3) And then I had my second and last game in losers bracket. Vs Scar. -rolls eyes- uuuuugh.

Actually, I didnt do bad. Not bad at all. First game we randomed yoshis. I dunno how much he likes YS (if at all), but I dont like it. And I actually had that game sealed up at the end. Had him in my hands at dunk percent and everything. But just like a champ, ****ed up the dash from the grab, missed the dunk, aaaaaaand i got a knee back to the character select screen. Cause that's kinda what happens when you **** up.

So game 2, i took him to FD. It starts out with like, me trying to run from scar cause well, he wouldnt go away.

*thinks for a sec* Well, few random things to point out about the matchup so far.

a) Although I did catch myself doing it a few times in game 1 (which usually got me kneed), i really started to catchon to me trying to approach from too far. It's like, scar would be out of my range doing something (dash dancing, break dancing, egypt dancing, standing, whatever), and i'd be like "Well, he's gunna try to nair me, so im going to come in and nair/u.air him, because I win", and then he's like -runs away- *Runs back* *moveset*. Average person looks at the situation and says "Oh you got baited by DDing" when what really happened is that i was trying to attack something out of range. Bowser could have done the exact same thing from where I was standing at. I have a reaaaaaaal bad habit of doing it.

b) somewhere in one of the earlier stocks of game 2, I realized that scar "actually knew how to edgeguard doc". That being dont waste the time doing stuff off the stage and potentially dying, just make him up+b onto the stage and punish him from there. I kinda laughed when i went back and forth across FD a few times because I had gotten into an arguement with Chops the day before about "me having a bad recovery and I need to learn how to mindgame my recovery", and how I need to be more like greenmario (yes his doc apparently), with my recovery. Im going to go watch some vids eventually to see what he's talking about cause im not agreeing with chops here.

*sidenote* After that arguement with chops and thinking about it for a while, I honestly think we're talking about 2 different things. Im guessing he was talking about just running to the stage frmo anywhere (from edgeguard or above the stage), and I interpretted it as him talking about JUST edgeguarding. ..... if he is talking about just recovery from edgeguarding, then yeah, Im going to have to fight him one day. In the streets. 1 stock. Items. >.>

Anyway, back to match, and speaking of chops, I actually got to see some of his random advice work (well, moreso here than the rest of the day because well, now im playing somebody that I except to space well).

*vs capfal note* Quick random flashback, chops and I were talkin about matchups, and we're on the topic of doc vs capfal. I tell him it's 6-4 for capfal and he's like "Why? Because you know that for a fact or because you just dont know the matchup." and im like "Well, capfal outranges and outspeeds doc. Range is pretty important because it's doc's flaw." He's like "What? Range should never play a part in matchups."

Yeah, you just read that. I did the same thing when he told me.

Im like "Well if range isnt an issue, how the f**k am I supposed to do with a well spaced nair?" He's like "shieldgrab it." I reply "... Im doc, im not going to reach him." Then he's like "Dash up and shieldgrab him." *edited because I noticed vulcan's quote. XD
I look at him and I'm like "there's no way in hell that's going to work, and if it does he's just going to short it even more." And chops told me "just try it." of course im thinkin whatever.

(Note: For the record, we're not talking about dashing like, across the stage or literally running up, we're talking like, 1 inital dash, or even ½, into a shield.)

Back to the match, I try it and it works. It works quite a few times. I actually laughed that something that subtle and simple works. I got it to work on every marth I played that day in pools and brackets, but I figured it was just luck of the draw. *shrugs* Just a random simple and effective idea that worked for the best. Maybe I just did it before and never really noticed it, i dunno.

In the end, it still didnt matter too much because all the shieldgrabbing in the world doesnt matter when you dont finish, and the only thing that got finished were scar combos.

___

-rolls eyes- Ah well. I didnt do bad. Didnt do bad at all. I say I played sloppy at times, but not the normal "Oh I was playing like s**t" sloppy. Just some minor mistakes here and there that just added up.

__

As for other docs there:

I played Dr Neo (guy from NC). He's actually pretty good. Played him in some friendlies. I honestly cant remember if he mains doc and plays falco or mains falco and plays doc. But we played some dittos and talked. T'was fun. I watched him wreck a few people, and I mean he handed out some business cards. It was pretty hilarious.

He reminded me that I need to (once again) look for places to slot in f.smashes.

-

Some guy in my pools also played Doc. I cant remember his name because he was in the middle of the gauntlet. It was really "dogy sit. dogy play. Good dogy." at that point.

He was good too. He did alot of FH and SH pills though, and I ran under all of them. I hone in on that in doc dittos because people dont get that concept.

-

last, but definitately not least, I played boss. Yeah, he's still alive, and still plays melee. I actually didnt play his doc, though. Played his mario. And he's still good and tricky as ****. We played a set before I hopped up to take a break and watch some games on the main tv.

As much as I love doing fake jumps with wavedash in place, boss literally does fake jumps (read: triangle dashes). It just looked odd as hell and was weird to follow. I think im actually going to steal that from him. Fake jump -> d.smash. It's pretty kool.

It was maaaaaaad fun playin boss for the lil bit I did. Havent seen him since pound2. Im glad he recognized me.

___

*vs Luigi* I randomly sat down and played vist (I think that was his name. Im terrible with names). Pretty good luigi. Says he's old skool and getting back into melee. Also said he played velocity back when he played.

We played about 5 or 6 games, and I tried a buncha things because, well, I see good luigi's once a year.

Some things to note (LIKE I KEEP SCREAMING AT YOU 18S), if you're really afraid of him wavedashing in, you have to keep ground pills going. He cant come straight through them, so he's going to have to do SOMETHING when he meets the pill. Jumping isnt his best option because that makes him a target in the air.

Speaking of aerials, if the second aerial isnt luigi f.air/d.air, you can probably CC it.

And contrary to popular belief, you can actually jump up and hit luigi with stuff like nair and u.air and whatnot, you just have to *gasp* space yourself out. It's the same thing as some people trying to combo Doc, but instead of getting naired into a combo, we just kinda nair them away. So yeah, if you're going to jump at luigi, space yourself.

The one thing I really DIDNT get to try is my idea of caping vs misfire. Like, I caped a few green missles (and that's mad good against luigi), but I unluckily didnt see if I could time a cape vs misfire. Im going to sit down 2morrow and figure some stuff out, but I think I have a flowchart for edgeguarding misfire.

Just a random tidbit to note how good this guy is, he came from under the stage and up+b. Simple as hell cape for me. And he knew it. So he reverse up+b'd. I caped him onto the ledge. I laughed to myself.

___

uuuuuuuuuuuuum, that's pretty much all I got. Have fun sorting through it.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
The few times I've played against competent Samuses, It goes a little like playing Marth, except remember to cape her missiles. Stay way the **** outside (caping missiles), feint approach or what have you to bait D-tilt, F-tilt, D-smash, run in and grab, D-throw, U-airs, etc, run away again. Kill with F-air. Don't get on platforms on top of her too often or for too long.

Im like "Well if range isnt an issue, how the f**k am I supposed to do with a well spaced nair?" He's like "shieldgrab it." I reply "... Im doc, im not going to reach him." Then he's like "Dash up and grab him."

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Samus advice:

1) You cant dunk her. Ever. However, "check" it atleast once because some samus' just dont know this.

Real advice.

This matchup is really just patience. What happens is neither one of you can REALLY combo the other one that well (samus cant really combo you because well samus cant really combo. Doc cant really combo her well because she floats too high, Doc's too fat to follow, etc etc) So what happens is a ****ton of pokes (like you know).

When samus starts tilting, you really dont have that many options. You can either 1) wavedash in and jab or 2) move the **** out of the way. If she spaced the tilt well (f.tilt or u.tilt mind you), she can either jab to protect from you getting in, or WD back and do it again. If she jabs and you try to come in, you probably just got jabbed. if she WDs back, you have to WD WITH her to have a chance at doing anything.

If you try to play the same tilt game with her, she's probably just going to CC it. It's samus. If not, congrats, you did damage.

But saying with tilts and jabs, at this point somebody is going to get pissed. When somebody gets pissed in this matchup, they smash. If the smash gets blocked, the other character gets to come in and smash. That's the general concept.

Here's the truth. If either one of you d.smashes, the other one is allowed to come in and smash as punishment (Samus is actually allowed to come in and d.smash or f.smash since her f.smash is fast enough) However, if either one of you spaces a f.smash, it's actually very hard to punish. With that being known, you dont want to work too hard to come in and punish a samus f.smash. What should happen is they WD back before you get in and do something else. If your samus opponent DOESNT do this, then go in and punish it.

Ok, so now you two are tired of tilting and smashing. So what else do you have left on the ground? Jabs? Work jab mixups, yay.

Grabs? Get this, you're at liberty to stay in shield more vs samus because of her grab, but you cannot go to sleep at the wheel. Samus can still grab you, and if you do too much attack -> shield, you're liable to get shieldgrabbed. Random info about samus's grab, if she does a running grab, there are actuallY two hitboxes you have to avoid, so you do NOT want to spotdodge it. Roll or jump.

.... Ok im going to cliffnote the rest of this because I just typed that herb2 post and I dont feel like going on another super rant atm.

You have to start out doing alot of pills, spaced bairs, fairs; stuff that she CANT cc punish. She's going to CC, and everytime you hit her CCing, you're getting hit (probably a d.smash, maybe a d.tilt) You have to take that away from her first, and it's HARD.

Next, if she's ever in the air, you cant be on the same level as her or you're going to get foot. Above it isnt the best option because of her u.air, so you want to be below. Samus hates being above people because she's got to rely on bomb tricks and d.air to get back down. DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP HER IN THE AIR.

When you recover vs samus, pray. It's just, oof. Save your cape for missles and chargeshots.

When you edgeguard samus, the first thing you want to try to do is disrupt her bomb pattern. If you can somehow hop out there, safely land a bair or nair and recover, do it. If not, just throw pills (She's going to take her sweet time getting back, dont get upset).

When she gets in range, you have to look for the grapple. If you think she's going to try to SS grapple, get on the ledge, keep invinc and bair as she grapples (literally AS she's grapping, not once she latches).

If you think she's going to go below it, you have 2 options. You can either try to time her jumping up and nair her as she comes off the grapple, or you can move. Keep in mind that if you try to time her and you're off, she can then nair you. Foot. :|

__

As for stages against samus, unless you play puff, peach, or samus, ban mute city. You can handle yourself well enough on any other stage.

As for where to go, it really comes down to preference. I personally would rather play samus on dreamland than I would on yoshis because I like having room.

For a criteria pick: If you lost because you couldnt stop samus' recovery, then CP between KJ64, Japes, and Battlefield. KJ64 and Japes makes it to where she CANNOT grapple, Battlefield just makes it harder (read: different) for her. And yeah, KJ64 is actually ok, because although samus can still bomb recover, you now have a high platform to rain pills from.

Desh

Smash Ace
Boss gave me easily the most fun doc dittos / mario sets I have ever had.
>_> Hes soooo good.

Lol, dogy, was he wearing headphones on his headphones?

Top Bottom