• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't use Ness (or Lucas) in tournaments

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth might not be the best, but he is **** sure capable of winning a tournament. He is still a great character.

I can't really see the same potential in Lucas, and certainly not in Ness.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Also, just for clarification. There is NOTHING wrong with playing who you like. But tournaments aren't really about repping who you like. It's about testing your abilties and aiming for the top and the money. I'm just saying you shouldn't sabotage yourself by playing a character that can only go so far.

Outside of a tourney feel free to quest until you are the best Lucas or the best Ness.

Mr.Snifflez

Smash Cadet
Also, just for clarification. There is NOTHIBNG wrong with playing who you like. But tournaments aren't really about repping who you like. It's about testing your abilties and aiming for the top and the money. I'm just saying you shouldn't sabotage yourself by playing a character that can only go so far.

Outside of a tourney feel free to quest until you are the best Lucas or the best Ness.
PFFT you wouldnt say Ness is bad if you played me dont say he is mid tier just because u suck azz with him.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Emblem Lord is made of phail. Im not even going to try to reason with him because he doesnt have the capacity to understand what I'll tell him.

Tyr wins
Let the thread die. For the last friggin time, Ness and Lucas CANNOT be CGed by half the cast.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
to Cort and some of the rest of you: as important as it is for us to know a major weakness of our characters, not every person who comes on the Ness boards bothers to actually read through the entire thread. They see "Cort" and "Don't use Ness in tournaments" and stop there. They give up on a character because two characters can chaingrab him. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention but we can take it from here. That's what guides are for. This thread merely lowers the number of Ness players we have which lowers the chance of new developement in his gameplay. I assure you the information will be well documented in Ness guides for any competitive players to view. Thank you again for your input and now it's time to let it go. This thread is currently only a detriment to the game.

I motion for a lock or the end of posts on this thread.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Earthbound: Are you serious dude? Grow up. I'm made of fail for being real and saying that tournaments are about winning and not being a fanboy?

Shut the **** up.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I think that has to do with pressing R not A. It happened to me last saturday and I was 100 percent sure I was pressing R not A. I was trying to shield.

Lucas can do it to both Lucas AND Ness. I was in a Lucas ditto and it basically devolved into this lol.

@Emblem Lord: Why aren't you playing Snake then lol.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
For the record..I have gone all Marth in any tourney I have been too.

Even though my Snake is honestly a little bit better.

But don't follow what I do.. Follow what I say.

If you wanna win play Snake, MK, G&W, or R.O.B. MAYBE Marth.

Maybe.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
For the record..I have gone all Marth in any tourney I have been too.

Even though my Snake is honestly a little bit better.

But don't follow what I do.. Follow what I say.

If you wanna win play Snake, MK, G&W, or R.O.B. MAYBE Marth.

Maybe.
Same w/ me and MK lol.

SO TRUE. Sadly. 'cept I'd add DDDDDDDDDDD (EDIT: AS A MAYBE)

Contrary to what my sig says, I don't play Lucas that much. Mabye as like a 6th or something lol.

Cort

Apple Head
You forgot about DK

DK is the heaviest vertically/hortizontally averaged, has a ridiculous recover, can gimp Snake/kill Meta at very low %s, and has a ton of ridiculously good kill moves.

IMO DK is the third best character >_>

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
You forgot about DK

DK is the heaviest vertically/hortizontally averaged, has a ridiculous recover, can gimp Snake/kill Meta at very low %s, and has a ton of ridiculously good kill moves.

IMO DK is the third best character >_>
QFT

DK is a beast(no pun intended) i don't see why more people use him.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
This won't be banned from tournaments. This will just make Lucas and Ness useless in them.
It will be banned in all of Montage's events, and we host the largest tournaments in NJ on a monthly basis with small stuff in between often. It's also going to be banned at Cataclysm 4.

PFFT you wouldnt say Ness is bad if you played me dont say he is mid tier just because u suck azz with him.
I doubt your Ness can be as good as teh_spamerer's, and he couldn't win a low tier tournament with his Ness thanks to my Link and Ness being awful. I doubt Ness can do anything in a real tournament.

If Emblem Lord or myself played your Ness with our Marths, you'd be destroyed.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
DK has some bad match-ups vs characters that can CG him.

Also I disagree that his recovery is great. Seems average, not bad not good.

He is probably high tier material since he gives Snake and MK trouble and has good range though.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Money match? Seriously, Ness is at best mid tier. And seeing as I don't know who you are, and haven't lost to many Nesses, you're probably not good enough to be this arrogant. Do everyone a favor and money match everyone who is well known around here. I'm nowhere near pro, and could probably beat you, without resorting to chain grabs... ;)

Emblem Lord is made of phail. Im not even going to try to reason with him because he doesnt have the capacity to understand what I'll tell him.

Tyr wins
Let the thread die. For the last friggin time, Ness and Lucas CANNOT be CGed by half the cast.
It doesn't matter if they can't be chaingrabbed by 1/2 the cast or not. Someone will play Marth or Pokemon Trainer against you, and chaingrab you to death. Even if this wasn't known about, Ness and Lucas have enough bad matches to warrant having secondaries (which is what i'd suggest to everyone anyway).

It will be banned in all of Montage's events, and we host the largest tournaments in NJ on a monthly basis with small stuff in between often. It's also going to be banned at Cataclysm 4.
The chain grab? Or any use of grab release (such as using it to combo into ftilt)?

Ace55

Smash Lord
So playing with Ness or Lucas is basically playing against Ice Climbers all the time, with no Nana to kill (except if you're actually facing the Ice Climbers).

marcus0103

Smash Apprentice
For all the Ness players (like me), you can always sub someone who's kinda high in the rankings. Snake, MK, ROB, Falco, etc.? Just so you don't get completely destroyed at tournaments for knowing only one character. Sorry if this has already been brought up.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
It doesn't matter if they can't be chaingrabbed by 1/2 the cast or not. Someone will play Marth or Pokemon Trainer against you, and chaingrab you to death. Even if this wasn't known about, Ness and Lucas have enough bad matches to warrant having secondaries (which is what i'd suggest to everyone anyway).
Whoah, bad matchups? Who said they have bad matchups?

Seriously, this thread needs to die. All it's doing now is pulling people away from Ness and Lucas. For the last frikkin time, only Marth and PT can infinite Ness and only Marth for Lucas. Also, Ulevo said that you can dodge or jab out of dash grabs and other attacks.

Like Tyr said, we can take it from here. We will just warn people about not playing against a Marth or PT, instead of having a thread flaming these boys and making people quit.

Besides, Ness and Lucas are made of win. It's your opinion if you think they deserve middle tier, not a fact.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Actually Lucas can also infinite Lucas (and I'm assuming since it works with Lucas it works with Ness).

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
It had it's traffic and it got the gasps of shock and horror. Thread over.

And yes I know that my post isn't helping matters but I'm hoping people will just stop posting after this and leave the subject alone.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
Threads like these are why no one respects smash as a viable competitive fighter. WEll that and other ridiculous rules people have made up especially with stage bannings in melee and bans on wobbling.

It's so scrubby it makes me want to cry.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
yes a game where a large portion of otherwise legitimate stages have to be banned because of a single character is defniitely pro competitive gameplay and organizational skills.

also the game that has a community that thinks banning a legitimate tactic like wobbling mostly because of it's simplicity to perform and utter effectiveness is also pro, considering all those ice climbers that dominated tourney all tourney results for months and all.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace

Tyr wins
True. That guys a ****** (From Ganondorf, in the vid)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yup.

That's why I'm on smashboards. To piss people off. That is my goal ultimately.

Which is why I have worked tirelessly in the Marth forums for both Melee and Brawl.

It's a cover up you see. I want you to THINK I give a **** about advancing Marth's metagame and the Brawl metagame in general, when in reality... I just wanna piss you off.

And why you ask?

Pshhh, for the lulz you ****in noob why else?

Get ***** by Emblem Lord son.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Wow, I've linked this thread twice TODAY.
Thats pretty lame that so many people think he's CGable by everyone.

I'm not surprised to see Emblem Lord here at all. He goes to just about every other section and tells how Marth ***** their character and how they should quit. Or something like that.

What can you do?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I lurk alot.

And I only say stuff like Marth wins a match-up if it's true.

Also I have only mentioned Marth like twice in this thread, so w/e.

Mr. Escalator: No. Incorrect. I have never said anyone should quit and Marth only ***** the characters that outright suck. But I haven't said anything like that in this thread. Don't talk like you know how post and then post bull**** plz.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yes, its been established that Marth wins on Ness. Now you can stop annoying us with "Ness sucks and play someone else"

If that's not your purpose here, then why just stay and try to annoy us?

Top Bottom