• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I love that all the characters talk. I hate shadow shamans model, and im super sad storm isnt a panada anymore, too.

And <3 tauren. My main in wow was a tauren warrior.

Stream isnt laggy at all for me. You jelly?

:phone:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Why is earth shaker a koala D: he looks so underwhelming art wise :(

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
FINALSSS!!!!
I'll download em tomorrow :)

That Biofeedback's pretty cool. Be fun to see their state in big battles, close games, getting raxxed, losing winning etc

Who will win?

Navi or Ehome/Scythe

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
So, out of the 46 heroes in the pool this tournament, 45 have been chosen over the course of it. The only hero that hasn't been picked is Axe, poor guy.

Miharu

Smash Hero
axe basically isn't viable because his disable's range is TOO ****ING SHORT

that and he needs considerable farm to be useful

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
He gets picked occasionally in competitive, he just needs blink more than most characters.

Mota

Needs to farm VG and blink. Although I'm not a big fan of Axe, would've liked to see his model and spin animation :p

Really like the look and whip attack of Razor.

Miharu

Smash Hero
He gets picked occasionally in competitive, he just needs blink more than most characters.
he hasn't been picked since .52e or some time around there, and only under 2 situations:

1) counter spider
2) creep skip as a trilane with at least 1 healer

since then sk has proven to be a much better counter due to caustic, and the 2nd strat simply loses to strong nuking trilanes

the razor model is nice; its a shame that he's fallen out of competitive play

Miharu

Smash Hero
GROUND POUND

Based on what I've played of the beta so far, the engine is definitely up to the task for taking DotA to the next level; the engine itself is running up to speed, and graphics make the game look more polished/sophisticated without going overboard much like HoN did.

As for the skill level in the beta right now, a good chunk of the players are high level Euro/NA players, and the rest of the players are basically a significant step down from that; there aren't too many players in my particular skill bracket. As a result, you get some really ****ing lopsided games because you have the likes of mania/lacoste/demon and whatnot on one team against pubs...which results in a pubsmashing D:

But that's to be expected with the really small player pool right now.

Matchmaking looks really nice, and the interface overall just gives me high hopes for the game.

I can answer whatever questions you guys have as long as its nothing too specific etc.

DJRome

Smash Hero
how easy will it be to find fair games for newer players and are there plans for a system that lets a group practice (i.e. modes not only live games)?

Miharu

Smash Hero
how easy will it be to find fair games for newer players and are there plans for a system that lets a group practice (i.e. modes not only live games)?
Matchmaking is in place at the moment, but its fairly basic, since there's no rating system of any sort set up as of yet. But I imagine eventually it'll be a rating based system, and there might even be a separate que you can choose if you're a newer player (or the game might just place you in said que based on your # of games and whatnot).

What do you mean "plans for a system that lets a group practice"? Not quite understanding the question here.

Mota

Wow Miharu you already got the Beta?
I signed up during The International, but haven't checked since then.

What changes have they made since The International tournament?

Have there been changes to the hero protrait position, minimap position etc. I found the box taht had the heros damage, armour and stats was too small.

Have you seen a trend in heros being picked?

LOL at Templar Assassins Trap skill, ITS A TRAAWWPP

Can't be real, but oh well.

From what I read there will a rating or ranking system that matches you with players of similiar perceived skill.

By group practice, do you mean just creating a game specifically for your team and practicing team co-ordination and timing.
In WC3 this was failry easy, a lot of different DotA modes.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
That's definitely real, it's the placeholder icon because they don't have the actual art for it done yet. As the beta currently stands, that's what the icon is.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Wow Miharu you already got the Beta?
I signed up during The International, but haven't checked since then.

What changes have they made since The International tournament?

Have there been changes to the hero protrait position, minimap position etc. I found the box taht had the heros damage, armour and stats was too small.

Have you seen a trend in heros being picked?

LOL at Templar Assassins Trap skill, ITS A TRAAWWPP

Can't be real, but oh well.
Yeah, I got into the beta, but it wasn't through the public signup. Basically you have to know people inside to get in right now.

No major changes have been made to the in-game UI as far as I can tell, but they've been reworking the UI for the chat channels and whatnot. The spectating system is really neat, and auto camera is actually quite amazing.

Can't really determine much of a trend based on AP games, since I think that's all that's available via matchmaking at the moment (I haven't played anything else).

I <3 TA's new portrait soooooooo much

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
So, has anyone gotten an invite, and per chance does anyone have a spare invite from their 2 extra?

Mota

Checked my emails, no dice :(

Jakiro's and Batrider's fire spells be epic!

Miharu

Smash Hero
Only the newly invited players will get 2 extra keys for now.

They said something about giving the older beta players extra keys sometime in the near future.

All of the spell animations are surprisingly well done; to be honest I didn't quite know what to expect from the visual aspect of the game, and Valve hasn't disappointed in the least (except the sf model that sucks ***).

Mota

My computer specs probs wont do the game justice anyways lol.

I agree on SF, at times it looks okay, then I see SF in DotA 1 and he's just epic swagger boss man.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Apparently the first wave of keys went to people with low-end computers who had played more than 500 games.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
My comp specs are moderate, but I've played the game since it came out. I tried LOL, but it just wasn't the same for me. : /

Browny

Smash Hater
I will buy this, I played DotA religiously... HoN/LoL ruined it with their attempts to cater towards the 'hardcore' and 'casual' crowd respectively and lost the simple fun in the game :(

I hope to hell they dont make anything 'unlockable' or force players to deal with matchmaking >_<

S l o X

Smash Champion
Where can I go to learn the basics of DoTa? Kind of want to know about DoTa 2 before it comes out officially.

Browny

Smash Hater
Well to learn it, play it?

A bit hard if you dont have Warcraft 3 TFT though... HoN is very similar and still free to play I think? Id def recommend that over LoL since HoN is basically a dota clone, LoL introduced some new elements which likely wont return for dota 2.

Mota

If you can get Warcraft 3 TFT, through legal means of course *cough* and download something like Garena.

HoN is free and similar to DotA, but still quite different. Definitely this over LoL though.

Apart from that, just look at guides and more importantly, watch videos and matches with commentary.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Second wave just went out, anyone fortunate enough to get in?

Top Bottom