• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Miharu

Smash Hero
Where can I go to learn the basics of DoTa? Kind of want to know about DoTa 2 before it comes out officially.
Play WC3 DotA if possible.

If you don't have access to that, HoN's the next best alternative. Even though there are substantial differences between the two, it's as close are you're going to get, and matchmaking makes for convenient games.

don't touch lol if you're new to the genre, or until you've grounded yourself in the basics

Rikana

Smash Champion
I plan on playing. I played DoTA back then but stopped because I didn't like the community. Dota2 is probably much more forgiving because there will be a ton of new players and there are matches that could be set up based on your rank.

Edit: anyone interested in trying out Blizzard's DoTA as well? Its gonna be a map edit made by Blizzard themselves under StarCraft 2's engine but it'll have its own support team and such. So in other words, purchasing SC2 is like purchasing 2 games.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I'll probably play it, but I'm not expecting much if anything at all from it. It'll be extremely difficult for them to live up to the standard that IceFrog has set with regards to the development and balance of DotA.

Odds are the community will be marginally better, but we'll see about that.

Oh and also those who were in closed beta have all gotten their 2 extra keys as well, so go bug your friends for invites if they were in closed beta :D

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know when the next wave will be?

Also Blizzard's Dota does look pretty good, but I'm going to stick with Dota2. Icefrog and Blizzard must have ended on bad terms. There is already so many Dota clones to compete with...

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I got in!
No idea how to play this game at all though, not even close to being as easy to look at as LoL is. So much extra clicking...
-DD

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
You should hear how much Kevin has wanted to slap you from some, Im guessing facebook post you made about wanting to akali.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
You should hear how much Kevin has wanted to slap you from some, Im guessing facebook post you made about wanting to akali.
;_; I don't know anything about this game. I just want the DotA2 version of a champ that entertains me and makes me stick to the game. Like Akali did for LoL.
Or Sheik/Mewtwo did for Melee.

>_> If it was just straight up Akali, that'd be cool too.
-DD

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
In terms of playstyle I dont even know who I would say is closest. I guess Gyrocopter but he's not even really similar or in the game yet.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
In terms of playstyle I dont even know who I would say is closest. I guess Gyrocopter but he's not even really similar or in the game yet.
Nah, it isn't as much about playstyle as much as just someone I enjoy playing as. A "fun" kit, so to speak.

I guess it helps more to understand the small differences first, because click&drag doesn't work for movement really threw me off. And that terrible shop interface was...confusing.

-DD

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Yeah, I can't really speak for shop UI, but the rest of the movement is pretty typical of any RTS. Try thinking of it like SC2/SC/WC3 rather than LoL.

My personal favorites for fun heroes include: Shadowfiend, Chen, Enchantress, Priestess of the Moon, Pudge, Beastmaster, Tinker, Furion, Storm Spirit, Kunkka and witch doctor.

Heroes that aren't in the game that I really enjoy include: Invoker, Meepo, Dazzle, Rubick.

You know I realized while typing this that the list isn't really helpful because it's way too many heroes, and just personal preference. But for the most part they all play in super enjoyable ways except for Crystal Maiden, which you have to love support.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yeah, I can't really speak for shop UI, but the rest of the movement is pretty typical of any RTS. Try thinking of it like SC2/SC/WC3 rather than LoL.

My personal favorites for fun heroes include: Shadowfiend, Chen, Enchantress, Priestess of the Moon, Pudge, Beastmaster, Tinker, Furion, Storm Spirit, Kunkka and witch doctor.

Heroes that aren't in the game that I really enjoy include: Invoker, Meepo, Dazzle, Rubick.

You know I realized while typing this that the list isn't really helpful because it's way too many heroes, and just personal preference. But for the most part they all play in super enjoyable ways except for Crystal Maiden, which you have to love support.
Nah, that list isn't bad, it gives me a place to start! I'm sure the champs are varied enough too. I'll take a look at them next time I get on to play.
-DD

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
None of them are hard carries, is really the only thing the list is missing. But I really don't enjoy hard carries much.

Also gonna toss in Queen of Pain for you, I think you might like QoP.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I believe I saw Dazzle in some DotA 2 tourneys.

Dazzle is one of my fave heroes, but he can be a bit difficult to play at first. 4 active skills and possibly a Mekanism can be a chore to mana manage :p. Trolling with Grave is just too good :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Really liking the effort Valve's putting into the system for punishing griefers.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I wasn't sure if Dazzle was in or not and was too lazy to look it up Mota. I watch a decent bit of streams and literally never see him pop up. But now that I think about it I remember thinking razors ult and dazzles ult animations looked way too similar.

I do too Mic, on one hand it sucks to not be able to communicate, but at the same time seeing ******s like KingRaven be unable to rage at his teammates is too good.

Miharu

Smash Hero
u know what's funny though

i've known raven since DXD days 4+ years ago, and he's always been a douche and mediocre player. It's just that HoN inflated his ego enormously due to how the PSR and matchmaking works, and the biggest point was that the best DotA players didn't even switch over (the Chinese, majority of europeans/americans). Not too surprised that he's still a **** when I see him around again years later

but yeah Dazzle's in beta; he's just not too popular of a hero since he's hard to utilize properly, and isn't that great in a trilane setup until he hits level 4/5. Mek's usually too taxing on his manapool to maintain; jango/forcestaff/aghs are much better options

as for razor/dazzle ult animation being similar, dazzle's is just a huge aoe thing, whereas razor's ult is still a cloud hovering over his head

SF #1 fun pub hero, too bad he sucks in competitive play now T_T

also the thing about DotA is, you can't really be a one hero wonder; it just doesn't work that way. Basically few heroes are good in every single situation, and people learn to adapt their playstyles to combat said heroes' strengths, so you'll need to learn how to play at least a few heroes. Also, since DotA is so heavily knowledge based (you have to know what all the heroes do in order to play against/with them), you might as well pick up a few more if you're going to have to learn their skillsets anyways. Funny how it works though, most people start DotA off with a couple heroes, branch out into being able to play a majority of the hero pool; then if they aspire to play at a higher level, they hone a refine a select handful that they play in higher level games/matches.

Yeah I don't know what that wall of text is really supposed to convey, but for me I keep DotA fresh by rotating through a pool of heroes that I enjoy; otherwise playing the same hero 24/7 makes the game get really boring really fast.

And that's one reason LoL bugs me; it teaches people to stick with one hero for some goddamn reason. Can anyone explain that phenomenon? My friend told me the reasons behind it a while back, but I've forgotten.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Mihary, I meant more the debuff animation for dazzles ult which is a cloud looks like Razors ult which is also a cloud.

Mota

Been playing DotA for a while but mainly just casually with friends. Just curious what the differences are now and back then that made ShadowFiend viable in competition and not now.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Been playing DotA for a while but mainly just casually with friends. Just curious what the differences are now and back then that made ShadowFiend viable in competition and not now.
People learned to play against it.

It's basically a very squishy hero with no natural escape mechanism, and needs BKB to really do anything at all in team fights, or else he just gets nuked down with the quickness.

That and he can't win mid lane unless the SF player is significantly better, since SF loses heavily against all of the common solo mid heroes that are run at the moment.

Is there a good way to get into the beta? I am really wanting to play dota 2
Not really; just join contests/drawings and hope for the best.

Mota

Yeah thought as much, reminds me of Drow, no escape and nuked.

I've been seeing the newcomers in Shadow Demon and Grand Magus have been owning solo mid haha.
Funny how Pudge got a buff, seems like a faster hook and able to cancel it lol.

In terms of Anti-Mage, do you guys think in the current DotA2 hero pool, he's slightly Imba?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
And that's one reason LoL bugs me; it teaches people to stick with one hero for some goddamn reason. Can anyone explain that phenomenon? My friend told me the reasons behind it a while back, but I've forgotten.
I don't think this is true at all. I think it's just like any other game. You have people who for some reason focus on playing one champ/hero (or a majority of the time picking one champ/hero) and then you have the typical population that plays a good amount of champs/heroes. Same thing happens at higher levels, people tend to branch out less and tend to focus on one lane in general to be really good at in tourneys/ranked games.

That being said, I'm really curious about how Dota2 is going to improve upon what it has once it has been out a couple of months.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Shadowfiend is my favorite or 2nd favorite hero. Kunkka is the only character in his area code, with NS being 3rd.

I want a beta key too. TT

:phone:

Miharu

Smash Hero
I don't think this is true at all. I think it's just like any other game. You have people who for some reason focus on playing one champ/hero (or a majority of the time picking one champ/hero) and then you have the typical population that plays a good amount of champs/heroes. Same thing happens at higher levels, people tend to branch out less and tend to focus on one lane in general to be really good at in tourneys/ranked games.

That being said, I'm really curious about how Dota2 is going to improve upon what it has once it has been out a couple of months.
Okay, that's what I thought. Seemed really counter-intuitive how people could do well by simply playing one hero.

Yeah thought as much, reminds me of Drow, no escape and nuked.

I've been seeing the newcomers in Shadow Demon and Grand Magus have been owning solo mid haha.
Funny how Pudge got a buff, seems like a faster hook and able to cancel it lol.

In terms of Anti-Mage, do you guys think in the current DotA2 hero pool, he's slightly Imba?
The thing is Drow is semiviable due to her huge amount of damage output, and silence/frost are both somewhat useful.

Hook was always intended to be cancelleable, it's just that the mechanics of WCIII didn't allow for it.

SD and Rubick are both slightly overpowered at the moment, and could use nerfs.

And yeah AM is only imbalanced in DotA2 due to the full 104 heroes not being in yet; in DotA people have figured out how to deal with him properly. Basically if other team picks AM, pick Syllabear/Lycan + Chen/Enchant and push their towers down np.

Silfa

Smash Ace
I feel as though Rubick is only overpowered at this point due to Fade Bolt (?), or whatever it is the nuke is called. It just does way too much stuff and for the amount of mana it costs. It's like they took 3 different skills and combined them into one. SD also just OP in general.

I'll be interested to see when the next map comes out. Seems like an update has been put on the backburner with all the focus on the dota 2 beta. Although I think apart from a few outliers, this has been a pretty diverse patch in terms of strategy and 'viable' hero picks. Panda and CK getting some love? hell yeah.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I just watched Dendi finish a game with 3 rapiers and 1385 health on Pugna, and no boots.

Mota

Jebus! That's mad ballin. Other must have been stomped for that too happen.

I've seen a team play with the initial intention of having ES as their carry once, it was beautiful.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I feel as though Rubick is only overpowered at this point due to Fade Bolt (?), or whatever it is the nuke is called. It just does way too much stuff and for the amount of mana it costs. It's like they took 3 different skills and combined them into one. SD also just OP in general.

I'll be interested to see when the next map comes out. Seems like an update has been put on the backburner with all the focus on the dota 2 beta. Although I think apart from a few outliers, this has been a pretty diverse patch in terms of strategy and 'viable' hero picks. Panda and CK getting some love? hell yeah.
Phoenix is really, really, really stupid.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
god, i cant wait for ranked matchmaking. ive bought courier every game and ive yet to see anyone actually use it

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
its also a moba but less forgiving towards new players

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
However, it's not really worth playing with me until textures are allowed to be set to low... can't do anything currently with high texture and other graphics that I turn off/low. 5-8 FPS in most situations, plus getting kicked during team fights. *sigh*

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'm eagerly awaiting the day when techies is added to the game.

Top Bottom