• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles and You, a Comprehensive Guide to 2v2s

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Hey guys, Meta Knight has the ground and air pretty covered too.
Snake is pretty good with Luigi as well.

Ground game: Check.
Air game: Check.
Kill potential: Double Check.

Also, Olimar isn't too bad with Luigi, I guess. But it doesn't seem like the best decision to me. Even though he has an amazing grab and his ground game is REALLY good in general... I dunno. It seems like they would end up clashing somewhat. They're definantly not bad though. I'd prefer a Snake over Olimar in teams, though.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
What do you guys think about Fox/Sheik? Me and my partner gave it a whirl and we think it can work but there's alot to work on. What do you think?
There's no stock tank, and both characters rely on lengthy strings and hit and run strategies that just plain takes too much time to rack up serious damage. I honestly don't think it's very viable, but there's no reason it shouldn't work at a local tournament or anything. Just don't expect to win nationals with that team.

Also, Sonic is a SUPERB defensive support. Discuss. He's just so amazing at assisting his partner.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Is TL and Ness a good team combo?

I'm looking for good Teams w/ Ness&Marth [My Mains]

I'm mainly looking for Ness
any good Ideas?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Ness and Toon Link would most likely clash a lot. Neither character covers more bad areas than the other, nor do they have too many gimmicks from my knowledge (aside from PK fire -> whatever).

I'd give that team's usefulness about a 6/10.

Ness works extremely well with ZSS. That would probably be one of your best choices as a Ness main. Tons of gimmicks, locking potential, aerial and ground control. Not really a bad choice at all.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Ness and Toon Link would most likely clash a lot. Neither character covers more bad areas than the other, nor do they have too many gimmicks from my knowledge (aside from PK fire -> whatever).

I'd give that team's usefulness about a 6/10.

Ness works extremely well with ZSS. That would probably be one of your best choices as a Ness main. Tons of gimmicks, locking potential, aerial and ground control. Not really a bad choice at all.

I'll think about it.

Jigglypeach

Smash Apprentice
Really nice guide.

I have a question.. I use jigglypuff and peach (duh) and my brother uses link and pit. We were wondering which ones teamed up best between them. I honestly think pit and jigglypuff and then link and peach but im really not sure.

Oh and Happy April Fools Day!! :)

RavenMist

Smash Apprentice
♪Nice guide =)
Question: I main Zelda/Sheik & My partner mains DK & Snake.Who's a better partner for Zelda?
Thanks in advance♪

-Raven♪

Jigglypeach

Smash Apprentice
Hands down Zelda+Snake and Shiek+DK. Zelda+Snake can both keep there distance and do a lot of damage up close or from a distance. Plus they both have good KO moves.

Jigglypeach

Smash Apprentice
Oh and shiek and DK work good together because a good DPS+Punisher always works good together. You can have your own battle strats but DPS+Punisher owns all.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
After some exp. on both wifi and offline Snake and Ness seem to be a good team for some reason. If both are equally skilled

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Also Lucas&Ness are a good team actually.
My Bro mains Lucas and I main Ness.
But he's such a noob and we always played wifi teams which fails for both chars it was hard to measure the skill. But i was @ a smashfest the other day and another Lucas main and I pretty much ***** the floors lol

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Nearly everything GnW has is one of the best team moves, but yeah, Uair is definitely special. That wind effect stops heavy knockback, meaning you have a 6-frame, lingering option that goes sky high to save a partner no matter how much damage he or she has taken. Works great to save partners who're about to be gimped, or getting people to leave you alone on the edge, too. It's just such a superb support move. Heck, you can even use it to mess with nado happy MKs if they don't know how badly Uair mucks it up....

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Pika and Lucas make a good team :0

But, I carry, as Lucas, and Pika comes in and punish/supports or whatever.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by Carry

D:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Carrying, basically the character's ability to fend for themselves under different situations. 2v1s, 1v1, keeping their partner alive through babysitting. Basically their overall supportive ability for the team.

Lucas and Pika seem like they'd be a good team.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hello ^_^

Me and my brother are getting back into doubles again and we have 2 questions..

First off how many teams is a decent amout for us do yal think? 1, 2 or 3 teams?

Oh and here is a list of all the combo teams we have thought of that we want you all to pick your top 3...

MK+Kirby
Diddy Kong+DK
Falco+Fox
Marth+Ike
Pikachu+PT
Ganondorf+Link
Mario+Luigi
Ness+Lucas

Them are the only ones that are on the same games that i know of. So what would be your top 3 and how many team do you think me and him should use?

Thank you for your time and i hope to get some answers pretty soon.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
It should really matter rather or not they're from the same games. But out of those, I'd have to say...

MK+Kirby :: The most effective.
Ganondorf+Link :: Coolest pairing.
Mario+Luigi :: Not too bad either.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Most same-game team pairings don't work too well.

MK+DDD/Kirby is definitely the best if you absolutely must try it though...

Ness+Lucas do have some neat team trixies including healing to mess with, though.

Shinja

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this was an extremely good read. I think I finally understand why I fail with certain people in team battles. I know I have a couple friends that I have a good connection with but sometimes we get really messy, especially since one of them likes to play a variety of characters that Im not used to teaming with(DDD and DK especially).

After reading that, I realize Im not a very suited Lucario team mate. Im more of a support/assist than anything else..maybe a bit of a punisher but other than that Im rubbish. I've been getting better at the punisher by teaming with Zelda quite a bit(I like to pretend Lucario is her body guard or something hah) but still have a long way to go before being a proper, useful teammate.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Most same-game team pairings don't work too well.

MK+DDD/Kirby is definitely the best if you absolutely must try it though...

Ness+Lucas do have some neat team trixies including healing to mess with, though.
how about diddy+donkey? come on, trip to 9-punch kill at 60 or so? dont you just love it?

also, my brother mains lucario (and is only anywhere decent with lucario) but i play diddy and am somewhat decent with DK, so i'd like to hear some opinions on what the better combination is, Lucario+diddy or Lucario + DK?
also, I'm mostly the carry of the team since I'm better than my brother (aah, it feels good to say that :p)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
marth is actually generally known for stock tanking in doubles, feel free to look at marth boards. as much as he isn't the best at it he can certainly do it.

otherwise good read.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Ive got a question.. me and my brother are going to do get into doubles and we was wondering which characters go best with pikachu and jigglypuff? He mains pretty much everybody so he is open to any character that yal pick for him to use. We just want to know what characters would be best to win more matches if teamed up with pikachu and jigglypuff (my mains)

I hope to get some help soon ;)

HotWings

Smash Ace
Well we tried out Ike+Pikachu and it works out OK i guess. Then we tried out lucas and pikachu which i enjoy because you have the option to heal lucas with thunder jolt but its very hard to find time to heal him.

Plus jiggz is actually pretty decent in doubles.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
vids or it didn't happen,

also every character has POTENTIAL to be good in doubles with the right partner

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Jigglypuff and Meta Knight.

Stock tank with Jigglypuff, Meta Knight as the basic offense.
Jigglypuff should be used to stock tank, assist and punish.

Jigglypuff should NOT be used completely offensive in doubles.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Sorry for my hiatus from this thread everyone-

I will be completing it within the next few weeks (or at least, as close to "completing" it as I can) :p

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
No offense, Dekar but you obviously know more more about Diddy so maybe there's some bias, I can't even wrap my head around Diddy being superior to GW in teams. GW can do everything in teams...well. His moves are never stale and do a lot of knockback and damage. They have HUGE hitboxes. He's got tons of Gimmicks and quirks that actually don't suck and aren't just for show in teams. Diddy's only real gimmick and quirk in teams causes annoying interference issues. GW can plank and bucket brake, gets frame 2 OHKO move with big range and lingers. He can momentum cancel and save his teammates with Uair. I'm not saying diddy is bad at doubles, but he's just... good. GW isn't as good but what he has translates into doubles play much better.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Yeah, Puff can't really get too much going in a match. Any match.

I mean, Puff's pace, looking at 1v1s, is just going to be so slow while the doubs game plays out around her.
If she rushes her things, she'll make mistakes, she'll get hurt, she'll die at 60, and she won't make the teammate's job any easier.

With more action she has to be more careful to even do what she's good at... and when you look at it that way, she just isn't as good as other chars at filling these roles.

Oh, you've definitely overstated Ganon's DPS ability. Put it at like, 2. His issues that bar him from singles are basically that he can't hit people. A punisher, sure. But it conflicts with what you said a DPS is.
There might be gimmicks with his Choke, since a teammate can do a bounce combo. But really, Ganon is pathetic because he can just get gimped in like any situation, by any character, from any percent.

Also, ICs don't have an energy projectile. Ice shots nor blizzard can be absorbed, and I'm pretty sure Blizzard can't be bucketed.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Personally, I love using Ganondorf and Pikachu.

Ganondorf Murder Choke -> Pikachu Jab -> {Opponent} Force Getup -> Warlock Punch.

It can be done in about three seconds. Easy to perform even while both opponents are alive. If time is of the essence, just make Ganondorf use a charged forward smash or something to punish the force getup.

Although he takes a LOT of babysitting, a good Ganondorf can be extraordinary in teams.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Yeah, Puff can't really get too much going in a match. Any match.

I mean, Puff's pace, looking at 1v1s, is just going to be so slow while the doubs game plays out around her.
If she rushes her things, she'll make mistakes, she'll get hurt, she'll die at 60, and she won't make the teammate's job any easier.

With more action she has to be more careful to even do what she's good at... and when you look at it that way, she just isn't as good as other chars at filling these roles.

Oh, you've definitely overstated Ganon's DPS ability. Put it at like, 2. His issues that bar him from singles are basically that he can't hit people. A punisher, sure. But it conflicts with what you said a DPS is.
There might be gimmicks with his Choke, since a teammate can do a bounce combo. But really, Ganon is pathetic because he can just get gimped in like any situation, by any character, from any percent.

Also, ICs don't have an energy projectile. Ice shots nor blizzard can be absorbed, and I'm pretty sure Blizzard can't be bucketed.
The reason Ganon has barely any times to hit in singles is his terrible approach, in doubles he can hit, and when he hits, the damage he deals is INSANE. Look at his aerials and moves. Most of his moves deal at least 12-13% damage and just look at Dair and Smashes damage. IMO it's better than 4.

Top Bottom