• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

bigman40

Smash Master
Idk why it should make him mad. We still regard fumi as one of the nastiest yoshis to ever play smash. It's only natural that people want to figure stuff out if it's towards helping their character.

EDIT: I found out more about the DR. To get a sense about how fast it is, you have to input the buttons before Yoshi's right foot moves outward (there's a quick movment in his foot before he jumps). The DJ and aerial pretty much have to be instantaneous to get the move. =/ The A button is the only method to canceling the move. C-stick or B button doesn't work.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Um, is it when Yoshi does a double jump the moment after he leaves the ground, and the slight dip in his double jump puts him on the ground again?

I don't have a Wii so I can't test it... but he could do that in Melee, couldn't he?

I could be completely wrong. *shrug*

Sweet move though. If my theory is right, Yoshi has the best pseudo WD ever.
Yes. He could do it in Melee. I could do it in Melee when he is moving with just the X button.
For some reason it's easier to do it in Melee than in Brawl.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I vote we rename it to something coherent.

If Fumi doesn't want people "copying" his techniques, then he probably shouldn't be posting them on the Internet... on the world's largest video-hosting Web Site, publically.

Depster

Smash Champion
eh DR seems to be sticking, and we'd be huge jerks for not keeping the name, since it doesn't suck

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
wow I love that new tech. How many are there for Yoshi? That's I want to know. We keep finding more and more for all I know lol. Well the more the merrier.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
So the aerial comes AFTER the second jump or the first one? Either way, L-jumping helps a lot here.

before the 2nd jump...

L, A, L

after the 2nd jump...

X, L, A

Yet another reason to L-jump, eh? I'm probably going to try this tonight. Might be tough with the GCN controller due to the springy triggers. I might resort to going back to the CC if need be (even though I hate wireless controller lag >_>)

This may move Yoshi up the tier list a bit if it has enough applications and people use it to great effect in tournaments, but I doubt it'd make him high or top. The question is, can other characters do the same? It works for Yoshi because his DJ goes down on startup. Ness and Lucas have similar DJs, I think, but I don't remember if they go down or not.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I finally cancel the jump on full speed, maybe 4/10 tries (not moving). I use a GC controller, i find it easier to hit the X button with my thumb for the first jump, and then hit X and A at the same time with my thumb to cancel the jump. I did the DR a couple times, just got to work on the timing now I guess.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Alright guys.. I have OFFICIALLY discovered how to do this every time.. This tech happens during Yoshi's turn around animation.. It has to be done before he turns around. I can do it almost every time now.. u have to about face before u can do the tech.. woot!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: So you can't do this facing the same direction? Or is it just easier turning to the opposite direction?

PRiDE

Smash Lord
its easier opposite direction. but i also take back what I said.. i thought it was turn around cause I was doing it more frequently. its done in the initial dash animation. when he lowers his head, u can double jump aerial cancel. try it now. lol i just did it across all of fd.

-PM-

Smash Ace
Wow this is nasty

Havn't been here in a long time all this new stuff is weird like that infinite jump that i learned how to do O_O you Yoshi's are pretty nifty xD.

It feels weird posting here O_O

Sharky

Smash Master
Sweet jeebus this is awesome, good stuff, everyone =D

On another note, you can see it in action in Karamity's vids against Shunsuke's Mario. He doesn't get it every time but definitely good enough. That's one awesome Yoshi he's got there.

kangaroo

Smash Cadet
Sweet jeebus this is awesome, good stuff, everyone =D

On another note, you can see it in action in Karamity's vids against Shunsuke's Mario. He doesn't get it every time but definitely good enough. That's one awesome Yoshi he's got there.
it seems that he had tap jump on in those games, interesting...

bigman40

Smash Master
Yeah, it's a little easier to get the move w/o the tap jump off. When I get back home this weekend, I'll try to get a few vids of me using this and other techs.

TheFast

Smash Lord
If you do you 1st jump all the way then do it while your landing you can do it in the direction you are facing instead of the opposite direction.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Ok.. Ive done it X,X,A but wow.. so gay 2 use in battles.. havin 2 switch hand positions between moves and wut not.. so..

U guys mind postin yur favorite, eaisest way 2 pull dis off?
Not like theirs many tho..

Btw Bigman, u tryed testin L and R? They seem just as slow as Cstick, but that may jus b me.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-f38xDsWg

Here is my pathetic versions of this.. I am getting close to getting them down quite often.. Will take weeks of playing i think to get them every time.. By the way I find it easiest with tap jump on, l as jump, and smashing the c stick twice...

so I hit l and up at the same time (one is gonna hit second no matter how close i do them together) and i smash c stick twice in the direction i want to smash in..

bigman40

Smash Master
I'm currently attempting to find a way to make it eaiser to everyone doesn't have to get screwed.

@Laserbust: I've been using L as jump, but my fingers aren't fast enough to clinch the move good. If the game didn't let two buttons act like one (meaning that if you push X and L at nearly the same time, it'll combine them into one jump), then this would be cake.

To Yoshi players that still use tap jump, this will be eaiser for you.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: I found out more about the DR. To get a sense about how fast it is, you have to input the buttons before Yoshi's right foot moves outward (there's a quick movment in his foot before he jumps). The DJ and aerial pretty much have to be instantaneous to get the move.
Booyah!

I found the eaisest way 2 do it for me, all I cuz I re read this, lolz.

T3h Bes Way Eva
- Have tap jump on
- X 2 jump
- Cstick

1) Jump 1st wit analog stick.
2) Watch closely for yoshi's foot 2 twitch.
3) Slide thumb from X>A>Cstick (All in 1 swift, as fast as possible motion)

Its so dern beastly. Bes I did in a row was 3.
2 in row moving. xD

The only thing iz, u have 2 pause a split second after the 1st jump cuz movin the stick up takes a tad longer than pressN a button.

Works 4 me, try it.

Btw Pride, I tryed urs, It was so-so. Not 4 meh tho.

EDIT - Fudge it, still hard as hell. I still suggest using this as a start. Its a good way 2 learn the timing. After u get it down visualy, It would probably b a betta choice 2 switch 2 100% feel.

Carouselambra

Smash Rookie
quick question

what are the implications of such a tactic? i got down the jump + jump + a to cancel but how can it be used against the opponent?

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Glad to hear that this is easier with tap jump on. Can't wait to get a chance to try it out myself.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
quick question

what are the implications of such a tactic? i got down the jump + jump + a to cancel but how can it be used against the opponent?
Dude, this thing iz so beastly 4 mindgames its ridiculous. I got it down 2 about 60% accuracy so I went ahead and tested it on my friend 2night.

Things I found usefull..
1) Dash at em > DR away > Punish oppenents move.
This iz beast. I punish with Bairs usualy. Sometimes, Fair, and the occasional pivoted Egg.
2) Dash away > DR towards > Utilt.
I started quite a few combos like this. Sometimes, Ill trade the utilt for a up angled Ftilt.
3) Dash away > DR towards > Dash away > Pivot Grab.
My god, its so sexy. I only landed it once but still.. It was like, the sexiest thing ever.
Its jus great 4 moving in and out of yur oppenents range.

Anyway, this thing obviously have alot of potential. Theirs the sliding smashes, as showed in the video, and alot of other usefull things u can do out of it.

Question - Can U ledgehop this? Omg that would b sexy..

bigman40

Smash Master
The potential is about the same amount as the wavedash did in melee (not combo wise).

You can actually do a waveland with it as long as you're close enough to the ground to cancel it.

I've been working with it for a while now, and the tap jump makes this a TON easier due to being able to nearly simutaneously push the jump buttons. If we were to use L as jump, then we have to press them at nearly the exact same time (since you have to click to get the jump, it'll make it so that you're not pushing them at the same time), and get a aerial in directly after it. It's hard, but I doubt it'll be impossible to not be able to get this down. It'll take a while before we get this down though.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
You can actually do a waveland with it as long as you're close enough to the ground to cancel it.
Yeh, I can waveland it 100% of the time from a Short Hopped Nair. But I wasnt sure If I was DRLing (yeh, lez call it that xD) or jus buffering a dash. I guess I coulda jus tested..

Anyway, the distance between the 2 r about the same, its jus that u can do ANYTHING from a DRL and if u buffer a dash u can only Dash atk, shield, etc.

D

Deleted member

I seriously think that this will open up a lot of doors for yoshi players. WHy was wavedashing neccesary? Because in melee, if u couldnt wavedash, u would be outspaced. THis gives us a big tool to outspace opponents and to quickly move in for smash attacks to kill.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
I just tried it (with tap jump). Wow. I could pull it off almost every time after I got the timing down. Thank God Yoshi has a wavedash. ^____^

The only problem for me would be getting used to Tap Jump now.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
same here... without tap jump I don't feel safe spamming eggs off stage. I cant Ledge cancel eggs as fast or safe either.. I have to practice to just tilt up b instead of smashing it to save my jumps..

question. how is everyones sliding coming? I can slide very little forward and back... can someone do it as fast as the video back and forth? like wave dashing in melee?

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, somewhat pride.
I can probably slide 2-3 times in a row bax and forth b4 I screw over. Not Too fast, but not too slow.
Im probably around 50-70% accuracy right now.

Im seriously praticing 4 like 30mins-1hour every couple hours.
I think this isint gonna too long 2 master after all. Its jus like wavedashin in the sense that its becoming second nature.

How bout u guyZ?

Top Bottom