• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

Chaco

Never Logs In
@ Magus: Your looking at the only Wavedash that can be done in brawl.

@Chaco: I'm guessing you use tap jump correct? Getting it nine times is actually really good, considering that most people can't get it more than 5 for a while.
Yeah, I do. I learned its easier to do it w/o attacking first, so then once you get your timing diwn its a more fluid sequence...with a higher success rate on my part. Once i get it going I can keep it going, I did 11 a few minutes ago. Thats the most so far though. But using it on WiFi will be a huge pain in the ***.

bigman40

Smash Master
Yeah, using tap jump makes the move easy, but most yoshi mainers don't like tap jump cause it makes other things harder.

It shouldn't take long to get used to using it online. I can use it efficiently, but not in a match consistently yet. It's the same speed, just you gotta read them earlier.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeah, using tap jump makes the move easy, but most yoshi mainers don't like tap jump cause it makes other things harder.

It shouldn't take long to get used to using it online. I can use it efficiently, but not in a match consistently yet. It's the same speed, just you gotta read them earlier.
Yeah, I've adapted to tap jump fairly easily with Yoshi. I can almost beat DarkLeviathan but not there yet. He;s teaching me Yoshi. :lick: But anyways, I tried it on Wifi like twice and did it with Ftilt though.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've adapted to tap jump fairly easily with Yoshi. I can almost beat DarkLeviathan but not there yet. He;s teaching me Yoshi. :lick: But anyways, I tried it on Wifi like twice and did it with Ftilt though.
Haha, Chaco. :laugh:

I can do the DR more often before, but nowhere near even 5 in a row. I've been getting variable distance each time and sometimes I end up doing tilts instead of smashes. Only a matter of time before I can try this out in matches, but I'm waiting until I'm a lot more consistent with this.

bigman40

Smash Master
Well, at least someone else is teaching ppl Yoshi =P Everybody keeps coming to me one other forums for either matches, tips, or explainations >_> but I guess I earned that since I've been helping out alot.

Chaco

Never Logs In
We will have another go later Dark. Yeah he's typed me two gigantic things on Yoshi ATs.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I can see being able to do this in training and all that. But will there be a day when people can use this during a real match? I mean it's not nearly as easy as a wavedash in melee (that took me 3 minutes to learn after hearing about it, not fluently of course)

D

Deleted member

*Is too lazy to learn it now*

Actually it might keep me occupied with brawl, since at this point i have just as much fun fighting level 9 cpus in melee and losing then winning in brawl =P Tech skill ftw!

Also ICs are easy as hell, my friend picked them up (he knew how to desynch from melee), and on his 2nd time playin them in brawl he was able to figure out and do the infinate chaingrab in lag =/

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Okay...I am still so confused >.> What...in verbatim...is happening with this technique, and what is the tactical importance of it?

I don't mean to be such a scrub, but I am so confused o.o

Fawriel

Smash Master
Okay...I am still so confused >.> What...in verbatim...is happening with this technique, and what is the tactical importance of it?

I don't mean to be such a scrub, but I am so confused o.o
Yoshi's double-jump has a weird trajectory that goes down a bit before it goes up.
This technique is using that double-jump before he even leaves the ground, giving him a bit of momentum to slide forward.
While sliding forward, he can use attacks.

That means that he can suddenly slide forward to surprise an opponent with his otherwise slow fsmash, or counter an attack by quickly sliding backwards when he would not be able to do so otherwise. Among other uses.

timhagen

Smash Rookie
wel actually i do that alot when i use yoshi. basically what you do is wave dance and do an attack right as you turn. you can do it when you grab to, its called pivote grabbing. works with egg throws as well. it also works with yoshis down B but im not sure how to do it. very useful tech.

D

Deleted member

Timhagen, ur thinking of something else. Sounds like ur talking about Dash pivot cancels, egg toss slides, and pivot grabs(which arent even related). This is much much much different.
Also i think u meant dashdance.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's double-jump has a weird trajectory that goes down a bit before it goes up.
This technique is using that double-jump before he even leaves the ground, giving him a bit of momentum to slide forward.
While sliding forward, he can use attacks.

That means that he can suddenly slide forward to surprise an opponent with his otherwise slow fsmash, or counter an attack by quickly sliding backwards when he would not be able to do so otherwise. Among other uses.
Got it....okay. That makes slot more sense. Thanks :p

PRiDE

Smash Lord
progress? has anyone able to replicate the video in terms of length of slide? slide backwards online forwards.. grr

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Wow, I actually did this by mistake 2 weeks ago when I first picked up Yoshi. I didn't realize at the time that it had any practical uses (I did it in place).

Now I'm doing it consistently by setting Y to jump. I have my thumb over A and Y at the same time, then press YYA. Rather than "pressing" I actually just perform a single Y press and then a wave from Y to A, pressing Y with the tip of my thumb and A with the base. Does this make sense?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I'm gonna practice this stuff when I get my hands on a wii--jsut a nubby question--how do you get the actual slide? I understand that you xxa, but what gets the motion?

bigman40

Smash Master
the control stick. Just hold it to one side to get the slide.

Pride, I did a few matches using this. I'm still pretty inaccurate since I haven't WD like I have in melee, but I could get a few hits in while using it.

Carouselambra

Smash Rookie
taking into consideration both the great potential of this technique as well as the difficulty of mastering it, is this something that should draw many of the competitive players over to yoshi, or should he remain relatively unpopular?

(although i know nobody can know for sure, i don't feel like waiting and seeing, so opinions are much appreciated)

i kind of enjoy the fact that nobody really likes playing as yoshi and it would be a shame if people came to him like they did game and watch when they discovered his dominance in brawl (check match-up chart and the main poll)

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
taking into consideration both the great potential of this technique as well as the difficulty of mastering it, is this something that should draw many of the competitive players over to yoshi, or should he remain relatively unpopular?

(although i know nobody can know for sure, i don't feel like waiting and seeing, so opinions are much appreciated)

i kind of enjoy the fact that nobody really likes playing as yoshi and it would be a shame if people came to him like they did game and watch when they discovered his dominance in brawl (check match-up chart and the main poll)
I doubt a new pivot tech will all of a sudden make people want to play Yoshi. It's a nice little trick, but in the long run that's all it is. It's not like other characters don't have tricks of their own. :)

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
In addition to DR, DRL also adds some depth to Yoshi's play-style. I like DRLing (forward) D-tilts and jabs the most. Has anybody tried this in a real match?

Bwett

Smash Ace
In addition to DR, DRL also adds some depth to Yoshi's play-style. I like DRLing (forward) D-tilts and jabs the most. Has anybody tried this in a real match?
What is DRLing? It seems like this term just came out of nowhere lol. I know DR...but DRL?

And about the popularity of Yoshi, atleast in Texas, I'm probably the only one that mains yoshi competitively. Everyone is always surprised by his abilities, but they never say "O I'm gonna play yoshi now". People are prejudiced against yoshi :(.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
same thing goes down in NJ except at the last tourn I finally found another Yoshi mainer.

lego

Smash Rookie
Sweet. My little bro loves to use Yoshi. I'll see If he can attempt this.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
yess . MR Clutch. we both got 13th out of 61 at the last big tourn in NJ

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Gah, so many tournies in my own state that I can't go to. (no johns) >_<

Now, to keep from going way off topic, any Smashers able to pull this off mid-battle. I have to ask my friend (Chaco) whether or not he's been doing this online yet.

bigman40

Smash Master
I'm lucky to pull it off, especially since I can only use it online >_< but I'm getting it down as I use it more. The only problem is that I have to make sure I warm my hands up before I attempt the move.

Pride.....sadly, I can't make it to that tournament in FL. A Yoshi is really sad right now T_T

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
This isn't so much a wavedash. What it does is stop your motion instantly and allows you to do anything the opposite way as if you were standing still, but with no lag. A professional DRer would be able to imitate a dash dance the same way it would look in melee. What if you were to do this while passing through a platform?

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
Exactly what I was thinking, it doesn't seem to be a wavedash, but it just gives you more options out of dash. You can do everything you could out of a stand still as opposed to just a dash attack, grab, or usmash.

Still can't do it in full speed, but I can do it with good regularity in 2/3s speed. I use X/X/A in case anyone cares.

bigman40

Smash Master
However, it's the closest thing to the melee wavedash then what other techs shown. True, you don't come off the ground while doing this (somehow it does cancel the DJ at higher placement), but it's a good mimic of it.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It actually mimics a wavedash pretty well, like Bigman said.

Mentally, it yields the same advantages and opportunities that a wavedash does. No reason not to think of it like one.

In related news, this **** is baller as ****, yo! I pulled some off the other day...TOO NICE!

TECH SKILL IS BACK NUGGAHZ

Chaco

Never Logs In
Gah, so many tournies in my own state that I can't go to. (no johns) >_<

Now, to keep from going way off topic, any Smashers able to pull this off mid-battle. I have to ask my friend (Chaco) whether or not he's been doing this online yet.
I did it in my match with Gigas yesterday, but I missed....

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Alright, any one else find it easier to do it in one direction than the other? I seem to have a much easier time doing it when I'm running left rather than running to the right.

And I tried doing it online earlier, but the lag messed me up pretty badly, I couldn't even get the regular cancel down. I need to try it against someone with less lag, I guess.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I'm terrible at this, been cheating on Brawl with a few other games lately. D:

(I know, I know... for shame)

I can get it like once every two million tries.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
I'm more consistent with my DR's when I consciously think of pressing UP on the control stick before X + C-stick.

By the way, IIRC, DRL stands for Dragonic Reverse Landing. I guess that's the pseudo-slide effect you get when you DR, regardless whether you actually DR in the opposite direction (how it's supposed to be, hence the name "Reverse"), or you DR while dashing forward.

Top Bottom