• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

Scala

Smash Ace
is it possible to do your egg slide if you have tap jump on? If it isn't I'd say that you guys are pretty much forced to learning how to do it without.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Forget tap jump. You can do this standing still so I recommend you practice it staying still first then practice it while walking and work your way up to running.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
I would use L as my jump button, but it would be a little uncomfortable since L is my primary Shield button.

With tap jump on though, I get it almost every time. However, I think my controller's starting to act up. It's getting stuck on left/right tilts often. I have to calibrate it like, every 5 minutes. :(

bigman40

Smash Master
Heh, been working on this forever, and I think I finally found the easiest way to get the DR w/o using tap jump. Be prepared, cause your fingers will still have to fly all over the place.

I did this with L as jump. If you wish to experiment further to see what's better, then go ahead.

1. Jump with X or Y
2. Press L
3. Smash the C stick downward
4. C stick or A to attack

The reason why I said tilt downwards is because of the speed it still requires. You'll actually be able to correct problems better cause I'm going to mainly suspect that the springs will mess up everyone when they need to get the DJ out just barely before they smash the c-stick. This is the best option that I could come up with. Plus, I was getting this at least twice in a row when I first started this type (which was an hour ago).

If you need more info about this feel free to ask more. I'll elaborate when I wake up >_<

Sharky

Smash Master
*crycrycry* my lack of a consistent wii access upsets me so. Especially in a time like this >.< Just know that I'm with you in spirit XD

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I thought I felt some... spirits.

So far I've practiced this for like.... 10 minutes, so today I'm going to really buck up and practice this until I can perform it at least 50% of the time.

bigman40

Smash Master
1. jump
2. BEFORE you jump, use your DJ and use an aerial immediately after that.
3. Slow the game down, cause the movement is too fast to get it down in normal if you're not used to the speed.

The incorrect reasons that can happen while doing it.

1. If you SH and aerial, then you pushed the atk button before your DJ was pushed
2. If you do a DJ only, you failed to get the aerial buffered
3. If you do a rising aerial, you failed to push the aerial before the jump

To get a sense about how fast it is, you have to input the buttons before Yoshi's right foot moves outward (there's a quick movment in his foot before he jumps). The DJ and aerial pretty much have to be instantaneous to get the move. =/ You can use the A button or the C-stick. The B button doesn't work give the cancel.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I use tap jump, and I've been trying Pride's way, and I seem to get the most results with that (but nowhere near consistent). It's up + L (set to jump) while reversing and then pressing the C Stick twice in whatever smash direction you want to attack in.

Just a slight progress report, I guess.

bigman40

Smash Master
Okay, I wanna know something from other yoshi mainers paacticing this. How many times can you do this? What are you using? Tap jump or no tap jump? And if you're messing up, what does yoshi do?

Bwett

Smash Ace
Okay, I wanna know something from other yoshi mainers paacticing this. How many times can you do this? What are you using? Tap jump or no tap jump? And if you're messing up, what does yoshi do?
I use XXA no tap jump. Sometimes i get it 3 times in a row, but sometimes it'll just stop working for large amounts of attempts. If I mess up it does the dj with an aerial.

flash510

Smash Rookie
i used prides method of L and tap jump at the same time and then c stick. I can do it pretty consistently in training mode, i can do them one after the other and mess up rarely but wen i test it out in an actual fight im not as consistent. When i mess up i do a sh and aerial or a rising aerial

first post :)

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
i used prides method of L and tap jump at the same time and then c stick. I can do it pretty consistently in training mode, i can do them one after the other and mess up rarely but wen i test it out in an actual fight im not as consistent. When i mess up i do a sh and aerial or a rising aerial

first post :)
Welcome to Smashboards. :chuckle:

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I think my record so far is 6 in a row. It seems like I can do it maybe about 60% of the time. I'm using X,X,A right now (sorry, but using L to jump is just to weird XD). No tap to jump. I end up doing a rising aerial if I mess up, 90% of the time, else it's a SH aerial. Still trying to get this down, because rising aerials leave you wide open if it were to happen in a real match.

bigman40

Smash Master
Alright. For those who get a rising aerial, you're doing the move too slow. Get the DJ and aerial done much quicker.

If you get a SH aerial, you're either missing the first jump, or you're not getting the DJ in quick enough. Note that if you don't get your hand off the first jump button, then you're DJ will add to the initial jump, making it a full jump (this is why it's not easier).

Another thing I noticed is that if you only get a DJ and no aerial, somehow, the aerial didn't get inputted into the game. idk why but that's what happens.

Sharky

Smash Master
x L a is how I do it, though admittedly I'm still not very consistent at all lol. I refuse to turn tap jump on =P

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Is there a frame gap between the 1st jump and the 2nd? I need some kinda room 4 error.
Yesterday I tryed it n a match, did a double jump past Ike, then got Baired.. sux so hard.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I can do XXA on 1/4 speed consistently, but I can't do it well at all on 1/2. I tried XLA but the ****ing L trigger is hard to time. I haven't done it once with L jumping. I might try my alt. setup with L as attack (for boost smashing) and try XXL. Might actually work but I have to test it. Admittedly, I haven't practiced this much and I have slow hands so...yeah...

I would REALLY hate to turn tap jump on. Using egg tosses off the stage to save my flutter jump is too **** useful. :/

EDIT: On another note, this tech doesn't work with Ness, Lucas or Lucario. I thought it might but I tested it out. I didn't test Peach but she doesn't have the weird double jump she had in Melee so I'm guessing it won't work.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I've been doing a fair amount of practicing with this and I've not gotten terribly good at it, but...

...these are the ways I've found so far to do it.

The easiest method by far is with tap jump on. I don't like it and I'm not going to use it, but nobody can deny how easy it is once you get the timing.

My favorite method is double-tapping a jump button. It's pretty easy and requires concentration and timing from one finger in one place rather than concentration and timing from two fingers being spread all over the controller.

The other method we've got so far is default jump button + assigned jump button. It's okay to use, but I don't care for it simply because my fingers are far too fat and lazy.

But yeah, this just seems like it'll take about maybe a month for a Yoshi to become extremely proficient at, and then maybe a month or two more of tournaments to be able to flawlessly incorporate it. This seems like the technique to learn for all tournament Yoshis from now on, since this helps cover one of his most glaring weaknesses.

bigman40

Smash Master
Might wanna reduce that amount Shiri. I'd say about 1 month if people practice it enough. I'm starting to get it down on command (about 60-80%), but it'll take longer for people to actually get it while using other moves in the middle of a match. That's the hardest thing I'm trying to get down.

-PM-

Smash Ace
Bigman i have it down perfectly on my offline play just practice it 10 minutes play a few matches and keep doing that. Then just experiment with it =]

bigman40

Smash Master
I could make a vid or two using this in a match. I got it off you of course XP so, Whenever I can get some matches set for the weekend, then I'll record them.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Does L + (X/Y) work for double jumping? It doesn't seem to work for me... Is there a certain timing for it?

I'm getting used to Tap Jump now, I just have to remember about DRing when I'm in an actual match.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good Bigman. Im gettin a Capture Card soon mehself, so Ill try as well.

Idk Eddo, I couldnt do it. I could DRL but not DR..

Chaco

Never Logs In
So how exactly do you do this? I'm newer to Yoshi but I pick up tech easily. (IC main)

bigman40

Smash Master
1. jump
3. Slow the game down, cause the movement is too fast to get it down in normal if you're not used to the speed.

1. If you SH and aerial, then you pushed the atk button before your DJ was pushed

To get a sense about how fast it is, you have to input the buttons before Yoshi's right foot moves outward (there's a quick movment in his foot before he jumps). The DJ and aerial pretty much have to be instantaneous to get the move. =/ You can use the A button or the C-stick. The B button doesn't work give the cancel.

The OP of the thread should put this on the OP

Chaco

Never Logs In
1. jump

The OP of the thread should put this on the OP
Sorry, I was going to post before you posted this. DarkLeviathan told me how and I picked it up fairly easily. The most I got was nine times in a row. I'm sure thats pretty bad for starting out.

bigman40

Smash Master
@ Magus: Your looking at the only Wavedash that can be done in brawl.

@Chaco: I'm guessing you use tap jump correct? Getting it nine times is actually really good, considering that most people can't get it more than 5 for a while.

Top Bottom