• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm also a little worried about the geography. This might sound odd, but I don't really feel like going up north in the snow. I'd much prefer a desert landscape or something more tropical like Elsweyr or the Summerset Isle. I hope they find some way to mix up the terrain.
I was hoping that ESV would include both Valenwood and Elsweyr since they're very interwoven. Half super dense woods, half savannah/desert lands? Awesome. Plus the Khajiit are my favorite race to play as for stealth purposes, and the Bosmer are mischievious little *******s. Would have been our chance to finally bring an end to Fargoth's people :mad:

I also would have liked Hammerfell seeing as how it is the coolest freaking region in all of Tamriel. Though with the shift towards Dragons, I have a feeling that ESVI will be based in Akavir. Anyways, I'm with you on this.

Though Skyrim isn't blanketed in snow. Its southern region is mountainous, forming the border with Cyrodiil which is where most of the region's snow is. The northern reaches along the coast aren't frozen over. And hell, maybe we'll get to revisit Solstheim!

And also, if you guys haven't seen, here's a rumored image of Skyrim that's been floating around the internet for a few years now: [collapse=omg]
[/collapse]

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So are mods considered legal or what? You guys are talking about it as if everyone does it. I know there are mods for FO, but does Bethseda not care?

Spire

III
BRoomer
So are mods considered legal or what? You guys are talking about it as if everyone does it. I know there are mods for FO, but does Bethseda not care?
Bethesda gives us their tools to mod. It's 1000000% legal.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I doubt it...I don't think even Crysis 2 matches that.

Plus, it would be kinda weird for them to be working something this intense given the fact FO New Vegas isn't exactly mind blowing graphics wise.

Oh and if the graphics are like that...no way a standard DVD would fit that in the installation package. Has to be multiple DVDs, HD DVD, or Blue ray.

Speaking of which, I wish PC games would start using Blue Rays...so much more storage space...so many more possibilities.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I doubt it...I don't think even Crysis 2 matches that.

Plus, it would be kinda weird for them to be working something this intense given the fact FO New Vegas isn't exactly mind blowing graphics wise.

Oh and if the graphics are like that...no way a standard DVD would fit that in the installation package. Has to be multiple DVDs, HD DVD, or Blue ray.

Speaking of which, I wish PC games would start using Blue Rays...so much more storage space...so many more possibilities.
New Vegas went into production not long after 3.

Hence why it's on the same engine and came out not terribly long after 3.

Oblivion came out a number of years ago, so the team has been hard at work on a new engine.

I just hope that I'll get a new Fallout on that engine one day.

A man can dream...

Spire

III
BRoomer
So long as Bethesda owns the Fallout franchise, I can guarantee you that you'll see an entry using the new engine.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Has anyone here read the newest GI? Dual-wielding spells and weapons (yes, you can have a sword in one hand and a fireball in the other) was confirmed, among many other things.

They also detailed the new class/leveling system: you level up the skills that you use the most, and you aren't locked into some class that you pick at the beginning of the game. :3

I would find something online with all the info, but unfortunately, I am at school.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah I have the GI issue. Basically I am more pumped for Skyrim than I am for Skyward Sword in some regards.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah I have the GI issue. Basically I am more pumped for Skyrim than I am for Skyward Sword in some regards.
I second this. I'm happy for a new Zelda but more so for ES5. Oblivion is starting to show it's age and I've played the game to death. I'll probably play through SWS then shelf it for a few years until I decide I want to play through it again. But if ES5 doesn't suck then I'll probably pour several hours of my life into it.

I love Elder Scrolls.

finalark

SNORLAX
Several hours? Don't you mean several thousand hours?
And it's gonna be awesome. Can't wait to talk about all of the awesome stuff I find and swap stories with my friends.

It was that way back when Morrowind came out, that way when Oblivion came out and it's probably gonna be that way when Skyrim comes out.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Bethesda manages to make games that carry on the spirit of gaming pre-online era. Remember when we'd go to school and talk about these things we found in our games, or secret, hidden Pokémon like "Doomsday" etc.? That's kind of how Bethesda's games are. There is so much content that you'll probably never discover or experience it all. My friends and I still talk about Morrowind and I haven't played the game in years. I was at a buddy's house recently watching him play the game and for the first time, he discovered the shrine of Sheogorath with the Orc who braindead on skooma believes himself to be a Khajiit. He didn't believe me when I told him of the place, but lo and behold it was real.

That's the magic in Elder Scrolls. I hope they fill Skyrim to the brim with extraneous content.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
If I haven't played the other Elder Scrolls games, would it matter?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I had none of the good technology to play Oblivion (GCN only, lol :(), so like.. I never really touched any of them. Sky looks so amazing though.

finalark

SNORLAX
^ I had none of the good technology to play Oblivion (GCN only, lol :(), so like.. I never really touched any of them. Sky looks so amazing though.
If you want to go play them I would say that it's worth it. You can easily get a hold of Oblivion for the PS360 at nearly any game store in the country or if you want to get the PC version (which is a million times better than the PS360 version) it can easily be downloaded off of Steam.

As for Morrowind, well, I think it was a great game for it's time and has wonderful atmosphere and a ton of things you can do but just get ready for some really dated game play.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
So long as Bethesda owns the Fallout franchise, I can guarantee you that you'll see an entry using the new engine.
Actually, even if Bethesda loses the lawsuit, they will still be able to make a new Fallout. When they bought the original license, they where given the rights to 3 games (Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4) and DLC for all 3. So no matter what happens, we are guaranteed at least one more Bethesda Fallout , so WOOHOO!

Here is the article from the Fallout Wiki
http://http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Interplay:_Fallout_6_could_be_ours._Bethesda:_We_own_the_Fallout_MMO

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I could have sworn that it was Bethesda sueing Interplay and that the charges were dropped. I haven't heard anything about some lawsuit that would cause them to lose the rights.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
This whole mess is going on because when Bethesda bought the Fallout rights, they where given, initially 3 games, dlc, and rights to ALL LIKENESSES in Fallout, as long as Interplay could make a Fallout MMO. That being said, all Bethesda is allowing Interplay to use is the name, that means no Ghouls, Super Mutants, Mirelurks, Vault Boy, or even Fallout Logo.

So if you go on the teaser sight(http://www.fallout-on-line.com/), you can clearly see many classic Fallout likenesses, like the Vault Boy, Harold and The Master's names, and the logo. So on the Bethesda side of the battle, they are suing Interplay for using the Fallout likenesses without their permission, but Interplay is suing because they where promised they could make a Fallout MMO, which they believe is with the classic likenesses, enemies, and characters, which I agree.

Here are the possible outcomes
A. Bethesda wins, there is no Fallout Online, end of story
B. Bethesda wins, there is a Fallout Online, but with no Vault Boy, Logo, ect.
C. Interplay wins, they make a Fallout MMO with Fallout likenesses and Bethesda keeps the rights
or
D. Interplay wins, revoke the rights, and Bethesda can only make one more Fallout
Cross your fingers and pray that it is outcome B

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Actually, even if Bethesda loses the lawsuit, they will still be able to make a new Fallout. When they bought the original license, they where given the rights to 3 games (Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4) and DLC for all 3. So no matter what happens, we are guaranteed at least one more Bethesda Fallout , so WOOHOO!

Here is the article from the Fallout Wiki
http://http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Interplay:_Fallout_6_could_be_ours._Bethesda:_We_own_the_Fallout_MMO
They are getting sued? What rotten ******* would do that?
This whole mess is going on because when Bethesda bought the Fallout rights, they where given, initially 3 games, dlc, and rights to ALL LIKENESSES in Fallout, as long as Interplay could make a Fallout MMO. That being said, all Bethesda is allowing Interplay to use is the name, that means no Ghouls, Super Mutants, Mirelurks, Vault Boy, or even Fallout Logo.

So if you go on the teaser sight(http://www.fallout-on-line.com/), you can clearly see many classic Fallout likenesses, like the Vault Boy, Harold and The Master's names, and the logo. So on the Bethesda side of the battle, they are suing Interplay for using the Fallout likenesses without their permission, but Interplay is suing because they where promised they could make a Fallout MMO, which they believe is with the classic likenesses, enemies, and characters, which I agree.

Here are the possible outcomes
A. Bethesda wins, there is no Fallout Online, end of story
B. Bethesda wins, there is a Fallout Online, but with no Vault Boy, Logo, ect.
C. Interplay wins, they make a Fallout MMO with Fallout likenesses and Bethesda keeps the rights
or
D. Interplay wins, revoke the rights, and Bethesda can only make one more Fallout
Cross your fingers and pray that it is outcome B

I'm almost certain Interplay was being sued due to a breach in contract, that Interplay had to release either:

A) A Fallout MMO within a certain timeperiod (let's say a year after FO3)

or

B) Have a build of a Fallout MMO ready to show at a certain time (again with post FO3)

They obviously havent;

Spire

III
BRoomer
Seeing as how Skyrim will wrap up the prophecies fortold by the Elder Scrolls themselves, might this be the last in the main series? Could Bethesda move to an ES MMO next?

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I personally hope that Bethesda will take a break from ES after Skyrim and focus on everyone's favorite post apocalyptic RPGs. I kinda hope that Zenimax/Bethesda will continue thier conquest and buy out Interplay, then there would be a Fallout MMO AND Bethesda Fallouts.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I personally hope that Bethesda will take a break from ES after Skyrim and focus on everyone's favorite post apocalyptic RPGs. I kinda hope that Zenimax/Bethesda will continue thier conquest and buy out Interplay, then there would be a Fallout MMO AND Bethesda Fallouts.
But they already HAVE been taking a break from ES... I'd rather see more ES than Fallout, to be honest.

To answer your question Spire, I don't think that this will be the last game. Some huge event will probably happen at the end and change the environment, and the next game will deal with the aftermath. Just look at WoW and the newest expansion for it.

Besides, even if that didn't happen, they still have plenty of stuff to work with.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
But they already HAVE been taking a break from ES... I'd rather see more ES than Fallout, to be honest.

To answer your question Spire, I don't think that this will be the last game. Some huge event will probably happen at the end and change the environment, and the next game will deal with the aftermath. Just look at WoW and the newest expansion for it.

Besides, even if that didn't happen, they still have plenty of stuff to work with.
Well, I wans't that big a fan of Oblivion, but I absolutely love Fallout. I might not even play the next ES after Skyrim, it just depends on the impression Skyrim leaves. I'm psyced for it, but if they don't improve on the many things that(in my opinion) held Oblivion back from being an amazing game, then I'm probably just gonna give up on ES.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I love both ES and Fallout, but I've had a lot more fun with Fallout. I enjoy the universe a little more, especially since it doesn't take itself TOO seriously too often... That didn't even makes sense...

Uh....

Lol, I get what your saying O D I N, The fallout universe is one of the most original, thought provoking, and is my personal favorite. I love the futuristic tech with 50s music and themes, it's a fimiliar yet whimsical universe. The humor is some of the best also. I just hope the lawsuit comes to a diplomatic end, because I was really anticipating FOOnline, but I don't want Bethesda losing the rights. Lol, I think we need a new Fallout thread

Spire

III
BRoomer
I bet there's a damn good chance that the next Elder Scrolls will be based in or around Akavir in some way or another. Oh wait, seeing as how Elder Scrolls IV was titled "OblIVion", Elder Scrolls VI shares the roman numeral with AkaVIr. Skyrim has a Y which is similar to a V for five.

I dunno.

finalark

SNORLAX
I bet there's a damn good chance that the next Elder Scrolls will be based in or around Akavir in some way or another. Oh wait, seeing as how Elder Scrolls IV was titled "OblIVion", Elder Scrolls VI shares the roman numeral with AkaVIr. Skyrim has a Y which is similar to a V for five.

I dunno.
I doubt that was intentional, after all, where's the III in Morrowind?

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

I dunno.
i had the same thought actually.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's not like they freaking planned it all from the beginning. I thought of it more as, "whoa look, Oblivion has a IV in it, perhaps that should be the name of the game instead of Cyrodiil".

The fact that they continue to allude to Akavir without showing us even a smidgen of the land suggests we may be in for a treat. After all, the Dragons come from Akavir and we're about to fight them.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's not like they freaking planned it all from the beginning. I thought of it more as, "whoa look, Oblivion has a IV in it, perhaps that should be the name of the game instead of Cyrodiil".
Plus Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion holds more weight to it than Elder Scrolls IV: Cyrodil.

The fact that they continue to allude to Akavir without showing us even a smidgen of the land suggests we may be in for a treat. After all, the Dragons come from Akavir and we're about to fight them.
True. Although I think we can speculate on that more once Skyrim is out.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Wasn't Oblivion in regard to the Oblivion Gates/realm?
Yeah, it was. The game was based in Cyrodil, but Oblivion was pretty much what the plot revolved around. If they do Akavir in the next game, I can definitely viddy something similar to that happening.

By the way, I just started A Clockwork Orange yesterday. I'll finish it this weekend, probably.

Top Bottom