• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I played ten minutes of FO:NV and came across 4 or 5 isolated glitches, one of them inducing a state of animation lag that screwed the gameplay up. I do not plan on ever buying that game.
Pretty much this.

I completed some quest for a guy, to progress the story.

He just wouldn't let me talk to him to move on.

So gave up.

Anyways I can't afford Skyrim for another week or so.

Everyone around me is playing it! D:

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Since I'm out of cash, atm, I'm going to have to wait a couple of months until I can get it for PC.

On the other hand, a sibling has it on console, and a cousin who visited has it on PC. It looks amazing, which is odd, because I could never get into Oblivion very much.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard they added perks like Fallout 3, is that true?

If it is, it might change how I see this game. I wasn't going to get it.

I like the perk system

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yep, they have perks.

Also, if you look in the sky, since the perks are related to constellations, you'll see them highlighted.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
So, if you switch your hands around does that mean you have to use left click to shield and right click to attack?

I played this game right on release on steam, but was exhausted for some reason and went to sleep before I made any notable progress. (I'm in the first town, I can't recall the name.) I rolled imperial, haven't chosen class or anything yet. I'll probably pick it back up in a day or two, any suggestions on class?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was watching the preview on steam just now.

I'm thinking about buying the hard copy because I can get a discount on the price, but it would probably all just be easier on my steam account. It was sold out...

If I get it for computer, It would be better in every way except for graphics. My computer seems to have problems with graphics it SHOULD be able to handle from it's specs.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This game is merciless.

I was walking/riding from Winterrun to I-something. It is literally on the opposite side of a mountain.

I start to ride and a saber cat attacks my horse, but I manage to escape and find a large broken castle. I go close, and it is LITTERED with mages and a fire elemental. Foolishly, I try to snipe one of the mages with my bow, and they are all elemental mages and hunt me down quickly. I die three or four times. I stop this strategy, and I walk around this large rock that divides the path. I see two mages fighting, and one kills the other.

The first time, the victor runs off, and I loot the dead one. I find the survivor and kill her with dual destruction. I see an icon that I don't recognize because I didn't look at the manual. It's a dragon's face. I walk towards it, and an ice dragon awakens and hunts me down. I forgot to save, so when it kills me, I have to do all of that again.

Eventually, I manage to lure the Ice Dragon to the mages' base. This is where the game annoys me. While the dragon is ice bombing them, the mages are hunting for me. Eventually, all of them are dead, and the dragon has about 25% health left. I manage to dwindle it to 0 with a bow and magicka. I loot the corpse, then I decide to go look at where the dragon awoke and I am ambushed by a Krosis and something I didn't see. I escape, but I am sure I missed out on some good loot. I give up and go inside the keep which is crawling with mages. After I die, I ignore the keep, and I see the skeleton of the Dragon moving. It's a glitch of some type.

I walk to Ivansar (I think that's the name... it is now). I see a bandit base around some towers. I snipe the archers, then I get ganked by a Bandit Chief. I go around, snipe the archers, and the chief charges after me. I manage to evade her long enough to run into a Wood Elf (what?) who summons a Fire Elemental (WHAT?). I evade him and run into a roaming bard who I pay to sing a song about me when we are attacked by a saber cat. We kill it, and I make it to Ivansar.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Are you talking about Ivarstead? The place with the Greybeards?

I'm on my way there now but it's taking FOREVER. D: I mean, I know my lack of horse is part of the reason (I don't like riding a horse so I'm not getting one), but I seriously just looked at where it was and was like "oh I can just follow the river!" About ten waterfalls and a bandit cave later, I find myself over at Darkwater Crossing with no idea of how to get over the mountain outside of going around.

This is painful. It's a good thing this game is just so freaking amazing, because most other games would have me angered whereas this one just has me saying "that's okay, it's all part of the adventure!"

EDIT: Also some of these killing blows...my god. Female bandit was all down on her knees pleading to me to let her live after a pretty nice fight, but y'know, she's a bandit and stuff and she would have killed me, so I don't let her live. Go to swing, and it does this killing blow where he just stands over her and shoves the sword straight down through her back. I was like o_o

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim built on new engine

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/13/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-to-be-built-on-new-engine/

Glad to see that they won't be using the old engine they used for Oblivion.
HUEHUEHUE

anyway, I'm having so much fun in this game despite having to run 800x600 resolution and almost every setting on low.

edit: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11802554&postcount=41 omg lol
reading through the old stuff on this thread is amazing

edit: probably some spoilers but hilarious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F84oQejFvss

I purchased the game on Steam, downloaded it, and the first thing it says is this:

"Skyrim will check your card for the appropriate settings." or something like that. After a second or so, it said "Your settings have been set to Ultra High." That was an awesome feeling.

So far the game looks gorgeous and is really well done. Looking forward to this experience.
haha, it set mine to Medium, but then
lag
One thing I always have problems with in Elder Scrolls is picking a class. I am a Breton, and I am usually shooting flames with one hand and a sword in the other.

On PC, does anyone else hate the fact that left click uses your right hand and right click uses your left?
I switched my mouse buttons a long time ago. It felt awkward at first using right click to shoot a bow, but it's easy to get used to.

I still don't know what my guy "officially" is. I've put perks in a bunch of trees. I'm like level 13, and for the most part I use flames in my left hand (really should get some better spells besides my ice shard one) and a 1-hander in my right hand. Lately I've been conjuring stuff because summons look so freaking cool in this game. The ghost wolf and flame atronach are sweet.
The only thing about this game so far that I'm not so sure I like is the removal of Acrobatics. I no longer feel the need to jump everywhere, but my inability to perform amazing leaps onto random things that I shouldn't be able to reach is saddening.

But that's a very minor gripe.
I definitely don't jump all the time like I used to, and that's fine with me. That change was probably for the better, although everyone that's played TES 3/4 knows about having super high acrobatics to do silly stuff.
(it's too bad race also specifies class since a kahjit mage isn;t the best thing to go for :p)
psh nah

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I still don't know what my guy "officially" is. I've put perks in a bunch of trees. I'm like level 13, and for the most part I use flames in my left hand (really should get some better spells besides my ice shard one) and a 1-hander in my right hand. Lately I've been conjuring stuff because summons look so freaking cool in this game. The ghost wolf and flame atronach are sweet.
I may finish the mod I started in Oblivion that limited how many things you can train in and let you change those on the fly like UO. I also want to do my magery revamp.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
This game is merciless.

I was walking/riding from Winterrun to I-something. It is literally on the opposite side of a mountain.

I start to ride and a saber cat attacks my horse, but I manage to escape and find a large broken castle. I go close, and it is LITTERED with mages and a fire elemental. Foolishly, I try to snipe one of the mages with my bow, and they are all elemental mages and hunt me down quickly. I die three or four times. I stop this strategy, and I walk around this large rock that divides the path. I see two mages fighting, and one kills the other.

The first time, the victor runs off, and I loot the dead one. I find the survivor and kill her with dual destruction. I see an icon that I don't recognize because I didn't look at the manual. It's a dragon's face. I walk towards it, and an ice dragon awakens and hunts me down. I forgot to save, so when it kills me, I have to do all of that again.

Eventually, I manage to lure the Ice Dragon to the mages' base. This is where the game annoys me. While the dragon is ice bombing them, the mages are hunting for me. Eventually, all of them are dead, and the dragon has about 25% health left. I manage to dwindle it to 0 with a bow and magicka. I loot the corpse, then I decide to go look at where the dragon awoke and I am ambushed by a Krosis and something I didn't see. I escape, but I am sure I missed out on some good loot. I give up and go inside the keep which is crawling with mages. After I die, I ignore the keep, and I see the skeleton of the Dragon moving. It's a glitch of some type.

I walk to Ivansar (I think that's the name... it is now). I see a bandit base around some towers. I snipe the archers, then I get ganked by a Bandit Chief. I go around, snipe the archers, and the chief charges after me. I manage to evade her long enough to run into a Wood Elf (what?) who summons a Fire Elemental (WHAT?). I evade him and run into a roaming bard who I pay to sing a song about me when we are attacked by a saber cat. We kill it, and I make it to Ivansar.
O__O

I'm so glad that my copy arrives today. I can't wait to play it.

That's some epic stuff right there.

And then you had a bard sing about it.

Did any wenches get involved to do any wenching? Because they should have after a tale of that magnitude.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
One cool thing was when I cleared out this place of bandits. I came back, and Imperials took shop there. Then, a dragon spawned... I swear that 20 dragons captured achievement will be nothing.

Also, Hagravens are really downplayed.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Krosis is the physical embodiment of a piece of gear. That ****er ambushed me in similar circumstances and I barely managed to take him down due to the Nightingale Blade's lifesteal component. He drops a Light helm (Mask/hood thingy) that gives a massive armor boost (Unaugmented its more than my Superior Nightingale Hood) and 20% to archery / alchemy / something else.

But goddamn, it took me like three minutes to kill him, dodging behind rocks and the like.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Gahhh this weekend has been NOTHING but skyrim. christ.

got to level 21 last night, currently focusing on conjuring (summoning), resto and destruction. also one handed weapons, i always stick with melee one way or another just cause the weapons are always so sweet visually.

i now own the mage college..
have killed probably 7-8 dragons now.

current god damn dilemma is that i am a vampire (no idea how this even begun) at his highest stage of vamp, once you're at the highest point of vampire which i didn't even mean to happen, everyone hates and fears you, so you can't cure yourself. I have to go find a town and be super sneaky so i can suck some towns people's blood while they sleep. Been a pain.

Anyone got any tips for awesome quest lines or cool areas to check out? I have done some incredibly cool quest lines, i'll have to remember them later.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
College of Whitehold questline is surprisingly good and takes you across like 4 different dungeons

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
yeah i did the college, im decently far into it i guess as i am the 'arch-mage' for whitehold.

i love how some quests can start extremely simple like 'this person hasn't been paying rent, can you help me check inside?' and it turns out to be "holy ****, this house is a worship house for demons and daedras. a daedra within the house is now telling you now have to fight the person who came in the house with you, or you both die."

<3 random side quests

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Gahhh this weekend has been NOTHING but skyrim. christ.

got to level 21 last night, currently focusing on conjuring (summoning), resto and destruction. also one handed weapons, i always stick with melee one way or another just cause the weapons are always so sweet visually.

i now own the mage college..
have killed probably 7-8 dragons now.

current god damn dilemma is that i am a vampire (no idea how this even begun) at his highest stage of vamp, once you're at the highest point of vampire which i didn't even mean to happen, everyone hates and fears you, so you can't cure yourself. I have to go find a town and be super sneaky so i can suck some towns people's blood while they sleep. Been a pain.

Anyone got any tips for awesome quest lines or cool areas to check out? I have done some incredibly cool quest lines, i'll have to remember them later.
Thieves guild, Companions, Dark Brotherhood, and Mage College are the big four I know of right now, but I'm fairly sure each Hold that requires a new loading screen has some big quest of some kind.

EDIT: I was bored to tears by Oblivion and Fallout as well. THis world is crafted so much more professionally.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
why would you not like oblivion!? fallout i can understand, though i loved that game.
I absolutely loved Morrowind, which is actually the reason why I didn't like Oblivion.

I'm thinking about starting a new file and playing the game using only unarmed combat. Oh god, the ****s and giggles that will be had.

I might even go so far as to never wear anything more than light armor (if even that). That would make for quite a challenge.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i've been playing the entire game of skyrim in a robe, with a few pieces of light leather.

200% mana regen is worth it :3

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I found one that was only 50%, and it helped me solo a dragon.

I wonder if they will do some good expansions like Morrowind where each one added A LOT of Gameplay (Bloodmoon for example was phenomenal). I hated how we got a ton of useless DLC and then an expansion that just added a new level basically with Oblivion.

One thing I loved about Oblivion was Oblivion gates. Towards the end, I would find them with the sole purpose of doing Oblivion runs, which is I couldn't touch anything and I could only heal. I remember MANY of them ending with me grabbing the sigil as the room it was in was filling with enemies. Good times.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Is it sad that people are able to improve this game graphically in a matter of days? Why is this?

One thing I loved about Oblivion was Oblivion gates.
But I hated those :p they're all pretty much the exact same thing.

I actually liked Oblivion a lot though, I don't know what all the hate's about.
I liked Morrowind more, but
I can't really remember why anymore.

I wonder if it's possible to play through Skyrim as a pacifist character? Like, sneak, illusion to make yourself invisible or pacify your enemies... hmmm. Only killing the dragons you need to, or maybe having the guards kill them...

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
One thing I loved about Oblivion was Oblivion gates. Towards the end, I would find them with the sole purpose of doing Oblivion runs, which is I couldn't touch anything and I could only heal. I remember MANY of them ending with me grabbing the sigil as the room it was in was filling with enemies. Good times.
roflll i didn't think others wen't through this healing through only basically. that place was hard as **** lol.

im curious about the graphical thing too.

D

Deleted member

how do you get to the greybeard area im constantly getting **** blocked by mountains n ****

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Is it sad that people are able to improve this game graphically in a matter of days? Why is this?
I think the engine is derivative of Oblivion's so it was a quick fix.

But I hated those :p they're all pretty much the exact same thing.

I actually liked Oblivion a lot though, I don't know what all the hate's about.
I liked Morrowind more, but
I can't really remember why anymore.

I wonder if it's possible to play through Skyrim as a pacifist character? Like, sneak, illusion to make yourself invisible or pacify your enemies... hmmm. Only killing the dragons you need to, or maybe having the guards kill them...
People preferred Morrowind's combat.

@s2j: You have to go to Ivarstead through WinterRun. Be ready for some combat.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I walked all the way around the mountains.

I don't recommend it though, so long as there's another option. Sabres and **** everywhere.

Being chased down by three sabres and then running into a dragon wasn't fun at all. :( Especially when you're only lvl 6.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
People preferred Morrowind's combat.
Oh god what. Morrowind's combat was just miss miss miss hit miss miss if you're melee (and before your weapon skill is high enough)
As for spells... you level them by standing still and spamming them. Otherwise, they have a high failure rate.
Am I missing something? I love the crap out of Morrowind, but it's mostly because of exploring and lore stuff. The combat was just.. eh.
Oblivion's combat is alright. Skyrim's combat is actually pretty darn fun.

I'm like level 15 and barely feel stronger than I did 10 levels ago. My perks are so spread out, and my gear and spells haven't improved much. Still, I can win most fights without much difficulty.
I found a saber cat only once and I swear it's stronger than a dragon. It killed me twice and then I decided to avoid that spot as I continued my travel.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yeah I had three of them right in my way. I had to scale the side of a mountain as hard as I could to get by.

I've actually come to do that quite a lot in this game. You get around a lot of fights that way.

Also I loved Morrowind like none other, but I could never really play Oblivion. I tried, by god. But I just couldn't do it. I didn't like the world of Oblivion as much. I never really felt like exploring it like I did with Morrowind (and now, Skyrim).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Oh god what. Morrowind's combat was just miss miss miss hit miss miss if you're melee (and before your weapon skill is high enough)
As for spells... you level them by standing still and spamming them. Otherwise, they have a high failure rate.
Am I missing something? I love the crap out of Morrowind, but it's mostly because of exploring and lore stuff. The combat was just.. eh.
Oblivion's combat is alright. Skyrim's combat is actually pretty darn fun.

I'm like level 15 and barely feel stronger than I did 10 levels ago. My perks are so spread out, and my gear and spells haven't improved much. Still, I can win most fights without much difficulty.
I found a saber cat only once and I swear it's stronger than a dragon. It killed me twice and then I decided to avoid that spot as I continued my travel.
Well, remember, it scales levels up to a set point. So if you are level 15, the saber cat may now be level 16 or 17. I have no idea what the caps are, but the scaling thing was always irksome because gear scales too.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I watched Seamus play this over on Youtube, and I'm interested, although I'm not sure if that's because of the game itself or Seamus' commentary...

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I watched Seamus play this over on Youtube, and I'm interested, although I'm not sure if that's because of the game itself or Seamus' commentary...
I really can't help you with that, lol.

It's the first time I've ever just immediately liked a game. I snored at Bethesda's previous 'Oblivion', and the recent 'Fallout's.

For some awkward random reason though, 'Skyrim' is different. It feels so good to play.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hm. Unfortunately, any money I acquire will be used to get Sonic Generations most likely, so I think I'll just settle for watching Seamus play, haha.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sonic Generation was okay at best. Maybe I don't like Sonic games that much, but if your choice is really between Skyrim and Sonic, I don't know what to tell you. If it helps, Sonic will be cheaper faster.

Top Bottom