• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Equipment Directory

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Welcome to the Equipment Directory! This thread serves as FAQ and catalogue for the huge variety of equipment available in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (and later Wii U). To check the list of currently known pieces of equipment, check the spreadsheet in post #2 put together by @ fractalWizard fractalWizard .

So how does it work?

Types and subtypes

Equipment is divided into three main types:
  • Attack; which raises Attack and lower Defense
  • Defense; which raises Defense and lowers Speed
  • Speed; which raises Speed and lowers Attack
Within these, there are several subtypes which determine who can equip it. For instance, the Attack subtype Sword can only be equipped by characters who wield a sword (Marth, Meta-Knight etc.).

The subtype Badge is unique in that in can be equipped by any character.

Stats

The stats of each piece of equipment is randomly generated. It looks like there are three main factors that influence this (these aren't officially named, so I've made up names for them):
  • Strength; the amount the stat is raised
  • Quality; the amount the opposed stat is lowered
  • Effect; the additional effect applied to the equipment
Strength of a piece of equipment is determined by its name. The basic Badges are known as "Attack Badge", "Defense Badge" and "Speed Badge". Each of these can reach a maximum of 30. There are also "Super" badges which have been seen with strengths between 26 and 42, and "Rare" badges between 45 and 54.

Quality is the amount by which the opposing stat is lowered, and can be influenced heavily by the existence of an Effect. For equipment without an effect, Quality can range between 1.4 and 2.0; this means that the lowered stat is equal to the Strength divided by the Quality, and then rounded down.

Effect is the additional effect applied to the equipment. A piece of equipment may have no effect, a positive effect, or a negative effect. Equipment with a positive effect can greatly reduce Quality, sometimes lowering stats more than they increase them. Items with negative effects can greatly increase Quality, sometimes to over 4.0 (meaning that the raised stat would be more than 4x the lowered stat.

A Small Request

Of course, this is all based on very little data. I don't have the game yet, so I'm having trouble getting any more information. If anybody else is interested in cracking the equipment formulae, just take screenshots and post them in this thread!

---------------------------------

This thread is not to be used to discuss the competitive viability of equipment. If you wish to do that, please go here: http://smashboards.com/threads/should-the-gloves-come-off-competitive-equipment-discussion.368449/

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Equipment list
This is where I'll list all the equipment types people have found. Tell me what you've found, so I can add it to the list. The more examples we have, the more quickly we'll be able to work out how equipment is generated.

fractalWizard fractalWizard has kindly put together this awesome spreadsheet to input data. If you want permission to edit it, send him a PM.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rUomIZpNjbf1seNGITN0XoXMKjsYtwlEyeY3mpSMVyI/edit#gid=0

I've got a lot of information now! Number crunching begins soon!

Effect List
Here's the list of currently known effects, and how they effect equipment stats.

It looks like effects alter both the strength and quality of a piece of equipment; better effects lead to poorer basic stats on equipment, but I've not looked into exactly how this works yet. Figures below currently only represent what has been observed, and aren't final. The effect names are translated by our little team (go team!!), when the game comes out in English, I'll change them to correspond with the official translations.

Positive effects
These effects give you cool stuff at the cost of diminished stats.

Effect | Description | Strength | Quality
None | No effect | No change | 1.40-2.00
Aerial Defense Up | 0.75x damage taken while airborne | ??? | 0.62
Auto Healing | Heal 2% every 3 seconds | ??? | 0.39
Beam Sword Possession | Start with a Beam Sword | ??? | 0.78-1.35
Critical Hit | 20% chance to do 3x damage | ??? | 0.18
Crouch Healing | Heal 3% every 2 seconds while crouching | ??? | 0.59
Early-Swing Batter | Home-run bat Smash attack faster | ??? | 0.71
Easy Avoidance | Speeds up dodge roll | ??? | 0.87
Easy Ledge Grab | Increases ledge-snap range | ??? | 0.41
Explosive Power Shield | Powershielding causes explosion dealing 15% damage | ??? | 0.40
Fairy Jump | 0.6x fall speed | ??? | 0.86
Fire Flower Possession | Start with a Fire Flower | ??? | 1.47-1.58
Healing Knockout | Heal 15% after KO opponent | ??? | 0.78
Home-Run Bat Possession | Start with a Home-Run Bat | ??? | 0.69
Hyper Smash | Smash attacks can be overcharged to 1.3x damage | ??? | 0.48
Improved Food Recovery | Food heals 50% more damage | ??? | 1.00-1.06
Increased Running Speed | 1.3x running speed | ??? | 0.74
Invincibility after Eating | 5-second invincibility after collecting a food item | ??? | 0.33-0.93
Item Shooter | Thrown items deal more damage | ??? | 0.38-0.46
Jump Enhancement | 1.2x jump height | ??? | 0.69
Meteor Strengthening | 1.5x attack power on Meteor Smash moves | ??? | 0.35
Pinch Defense | Once per stock, 0.33x damage for 20 seconds after 100% damage | ??? | 0.97
Prolonged Invincibility | Respawn invincibility time is tripled | ??? | 0.39
Quick Smash | Smash attacks charge to full power faster | ??? | 0.69
Reflective Shield | A portion of blocked damage is dealt to the attacker | ??? | 0.74
Skating | 1.5x movement speed, but increased sliding | ??? | 0.57
Smash Ball Holding | Less likely to drop Smash Ball | ??? | 1.20-1.38
Smash Ball Pulling | Smash Ball gravitates toward you more often | ??? | 0.75-1.13
Smash Power | Increases Attack, Defense and Speed while holding Smash Ball | ??? | 1.21
Star Finish | 1.3x power on vertical launch moves | ??? | 0.43
Star Rod Possession | Start with a Star Rod | ??? | 1.25
Super-Speed Dash | Dashing deals damage proportional to distance covered | ??? | 0.6
Trade-Off Defense | 0.8x damage taken, start stock with 30% damage | ??? | 0.39-0.65
Trade-Off Speed | 1.3x speed, start stock with 30% damage | ??? | 1.14
Walking Speed | Increases walking speed by 1.3x | ??? | 1.11-1.29

Negative effects
These effects give penalties for greatly improved stats.

Effect | Description | Strength | Quality
Down-Throw Items? | ??? Decrease damage from thrown items? by 0.7x | ??? | 3.24-4.54

Last edited:

Kirbilord

Smash Rookie
I am very interested in how this topic developes. I suspect equipment with similar names are bound to share similar Stat traits, with the major differences in quality arising from variable magnitudes and ratios.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I've played through Smash Run over 50 times.

Equipment can effect how many items you can add to your fighter. Generally, the better the equipment the less items you can include in your load out.

Some equipment have special properties. These are usually the better equipment in my opinion, and are awarded after finishing certain challenges. Special properties include: start off holding an item, auto regeneration, shield recovery, longer smash/ but more power smash attacks, higher speed/jump.

Equipment can be used in Single Player classic, thus allowing you to fight Master Hand with altered stats.

Let me know if you have any particular questions.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Finally someone makes a thread about this! Thank you!

I am particularly interested in the bonus properties given by equipment. The Nintendo Treehouse mentioned that there is a property which lowers landing lag. My friend found a property which gives sword-wielding characters a hitbox during their run, and also one which starts you off with a Super Scope.

Furthermore, I believe that the game is designed to accommodate the potential of customization. For example:
- The reason the blast zones are so large could be to serve as a balancing factor for power customization, so power-balanced characters don't KO at absurdly low percents.
- The reason that you can't interrupt the dash animation with anything other than a dash attack or a jump could be to serve as a balancing factor for speed customization, which (among a few other things) increases the speed and length of your dash; if dashing was commitment free, speed-balanced characters might have overwhelming advantages in the neutral game.

As another note, speed-customization seems to increase not only the speed and length of your dash, but also the speed and height of your jump. In other words, it seems your character will travel for the same amount of time during these animations as it usually does, but adding speed makes it travel more quickly, resulting in more distance covered. You will notice that there is, however, an inherent drawback to this, as the control of your character becomes less fine at greater speeds.

From the limited experience I have toying around with customization, I feel that the game is actually more interesting and potentially more fun when full customization is used. At the least, KOs do occur at more agreeable percents when power-customization is in play, and every kind of customization seems to have enough drawback that none of it becomes too overpowering.

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I've played through Smash Run over 50 times.

Equipment can effect how many items you can add to your fighter. Generally, the better the equipment the less items you can include in your load out.

Some equipment have special properties. These are usually the better equipment in my opinion, and are awarded after finishing certain challenges. Special properties include: start off holding an item, auto regeneration, shield recovery, longer smash/ but more power smash attacks, higher speed/jump.

Equipment can be used in Single Player classic, thus allowing you to fight Master Hand with altered stats.

Let me know if you have any particular questions.
Would you be able to provide a list of the pieces you've found? I'm interested in how the buff ratio changes as the equipment gains power (if my theory is correct).

Are equipment load-outs saved to character customisation in the same way as custom moves? Is there any difference in Smash Run load-out options to Classic or multiplayer Smash load-out options?

From the limited experience I have toying around with customization, I feel that the game is actually more interesting and potentially more fun when full customization is used. At the least, KOs do occur at more agreeable percents when power-customization is in play, and every kind of customization seems to have enough drawback that none of it becomes too overpowering.
Would you mind letting me know what equipment you have, so I can collate all the data?

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Would you like just the stats +special properties, or do you want the names too? I can do sometime later this week.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Would you mind letting me what equipment you have, so I can collate all the data?
Well, this is a friend of mine who has the game, and the text is in Japanese, but I'll see if I can produce some screenshots/translations for you.

As another note, my friend just told me that he found a piece of equipment with an auto-heal property, where you heal like 2% over 5 seconds. Ugh, seems pretty damning for equipment in standard tournament play, lol.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Well, this is a friend of mine who has the game, and the text is in Japanese, but I'll see if I can produce some screenshots/translations for you.

As another note, my friend just told me that he found a piece of equipment with an auto-heal property, where you heal like 2% over 5 seconds. Ugh, seems pretty damning for equipment in standard tournament play, lol.
I have the game, can read Japanese, and I have a ton of equipment. I'm trying to collect them all for the Challenge Guide.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Would you like just the stats +special properties, or do you want the names too? I can do sometime later this week.
As much information as possible would be great. If I have the names and bonuses, I can better understand how the equipment types are grouped.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I have the game, can read Japanese, and I have a ton of equipment. I'm trying to collect them all for the Challenge Guide.
That's awesome! I've really been wanting info on these but nobody has really been talking about them until now. I'll see if I can get you some screens.

fractalWizard

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
All updated! The spreadsheet is great, there's already so much information there!

The first thing I've noticed is that my theory seems to hold true, but some items are just better than others.
For instance, the Super Attack Badge always gives a better buff ratio compared to the Attack Badge, same with the High-Power Gloves versus the Power Gloves, so there's definitely some equipment that wouldn't ever be used at a high level at all.

The Power Gloves you have give +28/-18, while the High-Power Gloves give +33/-18; they're just better.

There's some High-Power Gloves that give +47/-29, and some that give +51/-25, so even within the same equipment type, some are flat-out better than others; I was kinda hoping that wasn't the case.

Incidentally, what do we all think of "Buff Ratio" as a shorthand for the difference in increased and decreased stats?

Last edited:

Kirbilord

Smash Rookie
Lots of interesting information! I think that since some items are clearly better than others, we need to carefully assess . I think that there are three major factors that contribute to a piece of equipment's value. I think that eventually we will need to be able to classify items based on these values to determine their relative worth.

There three elements are:
1. Buff Ratio - the ratio between the stat gain and stat loss for any item. Higher ratio is favorable; more gains, less losses.
2. Buff Magnitude - the size of the stat loss or gain. Higher gains usually means higher losses from a magnitude standpoint.
3. Skills - THIS, more than anything, can really sway an equip's value.

And so, my hypothesis is:
1. Higher Magnitude generally means lower ratios. Any items with a large magnitude in the positive stat is more likely to have a higher magnitude in the negative stat. Even when looking at items with skills, we can see that the Walking Speed items listed in the spreadsheet have +15 Attack/-12 Defense and +30 Attack/-27 Defense respectively. Their skill is the exact same, but we can see that the smaller magnitude item ends up with a slightly better ratio.

2. Skills are given a relative "weight" based on their effective value. Higher value skills tend to correlate with smaller or negative ratios. Take the Critical Hit skill, which is coupled with an item that gives +7 Attack and an alarming -40 Defense. The game obviously sees this skill as very powerful, and the piece of equipment has a very steep negative ratio as a result. However, a more trivial skill such as the one seen in the Food Recovery Booster, we see a more stable +20 Speed and -20 Attack. Thus, we can assume, based on how the game treats these skills and their values, that it considers the Critical Hit as a more powerful skill and as a result there are more negative aspects in terms of stats to retain balance.

3. Ratio is a key factor in comparing two similar items. What makes an item "better" than others is largely based on the quality of its ratio. As shown above, "The Power Gloves you have give +28/-18, while the High-Power Gloves give +33/-18; they're just better." Magnitude, meanwhile, can be a matter of preference. Gains and loses of smaller magnitude items may be more normalized, so you may not need an overwhelming boost in one stat, since it is likely to come with a significant reduction in another. I can see more conservative builds using the better ratios of low magnitude items to offset negative ratios of powerful skills.

Anyways, that's just a few of my thoughts. I'm excited to get a hold the game myself and explore this system more fully!!

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I've added a Ratio column to the spreadsheet; it's automatic, so don't edit it. Just put your figures in and it'll work it out.

fractalWizard

Smash Rookie
We could try giving each power (that is, secondary effects like Star Rod Possession) a "Rating" to show how much it affects the Ratio.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
So here's another resource we might look into: decrypted game files. Information such as the character list and evidently the classic mode map have been extracted from game files, so it might be possible that we could find a list of equipment bonuses from the game ROM.

fractalWizard

Smash Rookie
Maybe. Looking at it, it almost seems like each type of equipment has a bell-curve or something of stat amounts/ratios, and the modifiers (Super, Possession, etc...) move that bell curve from side to side. It also *appears* to cap at 2.00 ratio. So, if we could figure that out using the code delving, it might help.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
So here's another resource we might look into: decrypted game files. Information such as the character list and evidently the classic mode map have been extracted from game files, so it might be possible that we could find a list of equipment bonuses from the game ROM.
Well, if you know how to do that, be my guest! The 3DS is notoriously difficult to hack, and I don't think anybody's managed to access the Smash Bros files yet.

We could try giving each power (that is, secondary effects like Star Rod Possession) a "Rating" to show how much it affects the Ratio.
Well, that's one of the main things I want to work out. The game obviously gives more weight to certain bonuses, but working those out will require quite a lot of data.

Maybe. Looking at it, it almost seems like each type of equipment has a bell-curve or something of stat amounts/ratios, and the modifiers (Super, Possession, etc...) move that bell curve from side to side. It also *appears* to cap at 2.00 ratio. So, if we could figure that out using the code delving, it might help.
The "X-Defend of down-throw items" has a ratio of 3.24; that's the highest on the list, because it has a detrimental effect attached to it.

Also, is "Badges" a type in the game? How do they differ from other equipment items?

I've changed the spreadsheet a bit; check it out and see what you think. The whole sheet can be ordered by any heading at any time, and I've added another column to differentiate between Attack, Defense and Speed items.

Last edited:

Kirbilord

Smash Rookie
I think that in order to try to identify more closely each skill's relative worth, we need a large selection of items that feature a single skill, then compare their ratios to determine an average ratio for items with that skill. The idea behind this is that skills with a higher value will ultimately have a smaller ratio. Hopefully with a big enough pool of data we can generate some sort of standard.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Some of this stuff seems pretty OP. That badge that decreases the damage you take by 2/3 for 20 seconds after hitting 100% damage? What happens when you combine that with the other equip that recovers damage over time and you get back under 100%? Does the first equip reactivate? Is it possible to stay like this permanently? A part of me hopes it's a "once during a life" kind of thing, but another part of me wants it for his pure defense tank character :x

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
@ S shogungari I've tested the combination you suggested and the defense buff activates only once per stock.
Darn, I kinda wanted to be invincible forever :p

I'm a little confused on the equipment types. I understand certain equips can only be used by certain characters, but according to the spreadsheet characters can only equip certain gear types. Mii Fighters, for example, can only equip jackets and boots instead of also "shoes" or "coat" or "X Speed". Does that mean some characters will never receive certain buffs? Or is it possible to get any kind of buff on any type of gear?

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Based on previous experience in datamining games I'd be willing to bet that while you might find files (or one big file) for equipment, you will not find values for randomized stats within those files. I haven't looked at Sm4sh's data though, so that's just an educated guess.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Based on previous experience in datamining games I'd be willing to bet that while you might find files (or one big file) for equipment, you will not find values for randomized stats within those files. I haven't looked at Sm4sh's data though, so that's just an educated guess.
Really, the only thing I'm interested in as far as this goes is a list of all of the possible extra effects of equipment (e.g., "high-speed dash", "easy perfect shield", etc.). These extra effects are what I find to be the most interesting thing about equipment, as they have the potential to modify the mechanics of the game as they apply to your character (rather than just your character's own attributes).

fractalWizard

Smash Rookie
Darn, I kinda wanted to be invincible forever :p

I'm a little confused on the equipment types. I understand certain equips can only be used by certain characters, but according to the spreadsheet characters can only equip certain gear types. Mii Fighters, for example, can only equip jackets and boots instead of also "shoes" or "coat" or "X Speed". Does that mean some characters will never receive certain buffs? Or is it possible to get any kind of buff on any type of gear?
To be honest that's something we are testing this for!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I noticed on a Wii U screenshot that you can sell your equipment. I'm assuming that you can actually get multiple copies of a certain equipment, but I don't know if selling equipment is an option for the 3DS version.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not really seeing much, if any updates to the list, but I guess it doesn't help when you don't have additional helpers to help you out.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Oh then I just haven't found it.
You can sell by pressing "Y" on the equipment equip screen. Pressing "X" reveals additional information about the powerup.

I'm a little confused...I have a ton of equipment that only appears in the selling screen, and it has different stats than the equipment that shows up always, but sometimes they share the same name.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm a little confused...I have a ton of equipment that only appears in the selling screen, and it has different stats than the equipment that shows up always, but sometimes they share the same name.
Certain equipment can only be used by certain characters. For example, Mario can use the Max-Power Gloves, but not Link.

fractalWizard

Smash Rookie
You can sell by pressing "Y" on the equipment equip screen. Pressing "X" reveals additional information about the powerup.

Equipment that shares the same name does not always share the same stats.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I'm not really seeing much, if any updates to the list, but I guess it doesn't help when you don't have additional helpers to help you out.
I can't contribute myself, unfortunately! It might be that this topic doesn't make a huge amount of headway until the game releases in the west, since there doesn't seem to be huge interest in equipment in general.

EDIT: OP UPDATED

Last edited:

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Another question, though this might be moot because we can sell stuff- is there a limit to how much equipment you can have in your inventory?

Top Bottom