• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Knut

Smash Apprentice
nice right up Bubba. the only thing i would add to the part about its exectution is that its much faster to do it out of FJ. and the part of her body that needs to be level with the platform to perform the tech doesn't reach DL platforms if you SH.

i use it Uair Interrupt when i'm on the ledge to get invincible Ftilts and semi-invincible Dsmash, or to Up-B. the spot that the you end up with the teleport when you do this from the edge, you can DI in towards the stage and edge cancel the Up-B onto the inner side of all the lower platforms of neutral stages. its such a great way to take advantage of someones ****ty edge guarding and gain stage control, and has a ton of combo potential.

i use it when i dthrow floatier characters and i know they are going to land on a platform. usually if i need a kill, so i fsmash in these situations. dsmash is pretty good too on FF'ers. a cool thing is that you can hold start holding down during the interrupt, so when you teleport onto the platform, you're already CC'ing, so you can still get punishes on GU Attacks.

since it is so much faster than WL'ing, it's a lot more versatile. which is the reason i'm trying to incorporate it into my neutral game as well. such as, Uair interrupt > isai drop > missile.

it's also pretty nice to out run re-spawn invincibility.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Is that how you guys are dropping through platforms quickly after a waveland? After the landing animation you guys are just rolling the control stick to the completely down notch?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I don't think that tech applies to wavelands because WLs force you to go through 10 frames of unavoidable landing lag. After those frames, you can do whatever you want. I usually never have any problems dropping thru a plat normally after a waveland. The regular landing animation is different. The uninterruptable part lasts 4 frames (I think) but you can't actually drop thru a plat normally during the entire 30 or so frames that the actual animation lasts.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Haha, awesome event page. I'll probably watch some of this. Let's see some sick samus play!

Also, I may go to a small tourny/smashfest this saturday. If i do i'll give samus some good rep.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Sweeeet. Yea, i would be the only samus attending at the tourny i'm going to.

I see that Robin is going to have a livestream running at his smashfest. I'll try and record some of my matches. Do you have recording stuff Bubbaking? I don't think i've seen much of your play... and i always enjoy some fresh samus gameplay to watch

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I always get the short end of the stick when it comes to getting stuff recorded for some reason. :( I have some Samus play recorded from the last Melee tourney I hosted. It's of me vs GrapeApe's Sheik and Phish-it's DK. I was supposed to have some friendlies recorded from a smash session I had with a friend of mine (months ago :facepalm:), but that friend has yet to upload them. :(

Edit - Here's what I have:
Bubbaking (Samus) vs GrapeApe (Sheik)
Bubbaking (Samus) vs Phish-it (DK) (only the first match, 'cause I chicken out to Sheik and get bopped even though I brought Phish-it to last stock decent %'s with Samus; sorry for the pretty bad quality of this one, btw :()

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
i wanna watch some good samus dittos. they're pretty hard to find though in general. any recommendations?
I think Plup and Hugs had some friendlies at Apex 2012.

I got dittoed sorta in doubles tonight and the opponent just kept spacing fsmash and cc dsmashing. At first I felt the urge to just get super aggro and dash attack everything/going for hard reads with nair but I'm at a turning point in Melee. I restrained that urge, looked for ways to counter what was being thrown at me, and did alright against it.

I can say it's weird thinking while playing melee but I'm gettin better at it. Literally as I was playing that MU I was thinking in my head of Samus' hitbox data and thinking what attacks I could use safely against my opponents fsmash/dsmash spam.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Just came back from a smashfest at Nintendude's. I only got to play his ICs once, but it was the first time I've faced anyone's ICs in about a year. Didn't go well at all. >.< I've only faced like, 3 ICs players in my life. Sorto, whom I do pretty alright against, Admiral, whom I beat pretty consistently in friendlies at Apex 2012, and Wobbles, who showed me what top level ICs play really looks like. I look forward to expanding my experience! This is supposed to be one of Samus' advantageous high tier MUs. :)

Knut

Smash Apprentice
i played nintendude at rom in first round of bracket. pretty grueling set. 2 games and it was like 13 minutes or something. crazy spam war, because wobbling wasn't banned, and i wasn't finna get grabbed. i honestly don't think i have ever been so afraid to approach, EVER. they're like, super intimidating if you don't have much prior experience vs them. i talked with DJ afterwards though, and watched his set with nintendude later. and thinking back on my matches with him, i now have a game plan developed for the next time i see him in tourney or friendlies...

although, i'm still upset i didn't take him to game three. i feel like i started to figure him and the match-up out. even if i didn't beat him 3rd game, seeing what his counter pick would have been, and having to adapt to it would have really given me a better idea for next time. i was so damn close. **** wobbling. u_u

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
I've never played a good ICs, and I really don't want to after those posts. I'm sure it'd be a good learning experience though.

I really like samus dittos too. I never get to play them though :( . Like Robin said, there are some good Plup dittos. ok, sweet! just found the friendlies i was looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zaAykyj9A
this is just a random one. there are a bunch of samus dittos between kniht and plup. you should be able to find them all from that link (they all have the same title, just numbered).

Thanks for the link to your vids bubbaking. That sucks that you don't get recorded that much though. A recording setup isn't too expensive. There's a really good post on getting started in the melee video thread. (if you're interested).

Random question for Robin, where are you in NY? are you way east, or west up by Erie? the guy who got me into competitive smash lives near buffalo. that's why i'm wondering.

EDIT: Ok, only 16 views on that samus friendly i linked to. They are awesome. They should be added to everyone's must watch list :)

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
GunPunch thank you for making my morning interesting by providing me Samus ditto vids. And I live on the South East portion of NY about 15 min north of Manhattan. I'll be frequenting the Long Island scene come spring time though because of school.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
RIP

Take it as motivation. That's what I did after Apex 2012.

Also, post you're bracket pool when it's completed. I'd like to sign up but I'm low on funds currently. Definitely going though for the full three days. Just haven't registered as spectator or player yet.

:phone:

Knut

Smash Apprentice
i played abate last night at a fest. luigi v samus is a pretty awesome match up. just a ton of fun. and we recorded too, so i gotta hit him up and try and get some matches from him.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Ledge hop double fair. Second fair, gets me everytime :denzel: Althought Luigi can be fun to play. He doesn't punish TOO hard which is cool because my friend who plays Luigi helped me with my jab game ALOT. WD in -> jab -> initiate infinite jab pressure on shield. I got really good at this, I think I've got the touch now to get it quite consistently.

Played some good Falcos lastnight. Thoughts on Falcos? I keep trying to nair out of being combo'd which is a bad habit I guess for that matchup because it wasn't working. I kept getting lasered between tilts and jabs creating openings for my opponent. CC dsmash worked on some things but only when I was low percent.

ycz12

Smash Ace
I beat Nintendude in a (free-to-enter) tourney this summer (he's Mike in that bracket). I dunno what to say about the matchup... shoot as many missiles as possible, and be very careful around their shield; WD d-smash OoS beats almost anything you have.

Oh and Screw Attack is pretty good, in case you hadn't heard. ICs are floaty and have terrible aerials, they can't punish you.

abcool

Smash Ace
Hey guys!! I just wanted to stop by and say i won a tournament today!!! I beat a Fox, Sheik and Peach. Won Melee doubles aswell. The peach matchup didn't get recorded, but missile to grab all day son, if she had broken my missiles i just CC dsmash the nair/fair approach at early percents, apparently CC beats her aerials since most peaches think their dsmash comes out before your Dsmash. That Fox/Sheik i beat is one i use to lose to before back in the day and this board helped me out SOOO much.

I just wanna thank you guys for pushing me as a player to reach where i am as a Samus main. I wish you guys a Happy New Year!!! I will post the vids with they are up!!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
You know what's a big problem?

In every thread or forum, there is a buttload of information that is useful, but is forgotten over time because of more posts/threads. This whole time I have wondered why someone has not taken the initiative to create a compendium of specific things that people have found out. Basically a thread or something to end all threads in its amount of random information. By now, it seems silly though, since so many years have gone by with uncollected information...
I was looking through the first few posts of this thread and found this gem. I have no life(until school starts) and may be up to the challenge as I've discussed before.

EDIT: This thread is finally in the works. Could be up to a week before it is posted though. The amount if information I'm sifting through right now, unbelievable.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Wow, that's really weird. I thought i'd look at the first few posts of this thread too. I think that was friday? that's crazy that we both did that :)

@abcool, always good to hear that a samus did well at a tournament. especially first! The samus boards are pretty awesome, they help a lot.

So, I did go to that "tournament" yesterday. The weather was kinda crappy so only a handful of people showed up, but there were still some good matches. there were more players around me skill level which was nice. also, since there weren't a lot of people we just did singles (round robin format). i'll post a link to the videos when they get put up.

the most annoying problem i had was a link player... maybe it was just that i didnt know the matchup, but he gave me a lot of trouble. how is that MU supposed to go?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Interesting that we all attended tourneys very recently. :)

Just attended a MD/VA regional yesterday. Three people got out of each pool and I got 4th seed (missed 3rd by one game), but I got 1st seed in Losers Pools (this was for ELO rankings), so I'm extremely frustrated. It's like winning an AM bracket after barely missing out on Pools. :(

However, I did get a LOT of experience from my matches. I've suspected it for years from playing some really good Marths frequently, but I think I can safely say that I'm pretty good at the Marth MU. I don't think I dropped a single game to a Marth that day (and I faced at least 10). Even players that I feel were a good bit better than me lost to me with their Marths. Also did extremely well against Jiggs. On the other hand, I really need help with fighting against Sheik and Falcon! (>.<) I can't do ANYTHING against Falcon's nair and it combos into so much crap. It even beat out my DA! :crazy: Sheik's needles are the cheapest things on the face of earth and I wish they didn't exist... :cry:

@ycz12: I met a Jiggs main, named Anandoza, who says he plays with you frequently at MIT. Says you're the best guy there and are on a whole other level from everyone else. Your reputation precedes you. :p

i played abate last night at a fest. luigi v samus is a pretty awesome match up. just a ton of fun. and we recorded too, so i gotta hit him up and try and get some matches from him.
Funny that you mention this because yesterday was my absolute first time EVER playing against a Luigi main. I played some friendlies with Vist and Papa Paint and I must say Luigi is indeed a very fun MU.

abcool

Smash Ace
I only got one singles match recorded and that is vs the Fox/Sheik player. I feel my first match was played horribly, but i think it was nerves from losing this guy so much before in the past, but i got my shot(pun) together. I got all of my doubles recorded. The turnout ended up being small, but all the best bahamians players were there so still good regardless, save a few other good players. http://youtu.be/qpj--JS692E

abcool

Smash Ace
I was just wondering if Shounenkel was still active in the Melee scene over there and I guess I got my answer. :p Do you want critique on that video, btw?
Yes, please critique it. An Shounenkel is the most physically active player here. I am the T.O here so you only hear from him when i push a tournament or something. All of his vids are on my channel and we use a group on facebook to communicate that is why you only see me active in the Samus boards/PM boards lol

McNinja

Smash Ace
Oh somebody mentioned they needed Falco help awhile back?

The main people I fight in melee all play Falco. Falco is gay. His shield pressure is ridiculous, so Nairs n stuff OoS don't usually work. Although up-b OoS is your best friend in this matchup. You can't really CC anything Falco does (besides his Nair) so I don't usually end up Down smashing a whole lot.

Basically, predict where his shffl will land, get out of that spot (usually by WD back or something) and punish.

"But McNinja, I can't move because Falco is laser pressuring me!"

The best way to combat a laser happy Falco is to hide up on Platforms. Is he still lasering on the ground not hitting anything? Drop from your platform and throw out a missle (must be timed just right to weave through the lasers). Then follow up and you know what your options are from there.

That's a basic run down of Falcos. Oh and gimp his recovery. A lot. Try and focus on gimp setups if you can.

:phone:

Top Bottom