• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extra Inch DI! NO MORE MARTH SUPER Regrab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Okay Now normally you guys would just DI by holding away. Now I present to you Extra Inch DI.

What it does: It makes you move a bit further when breaking out of grabs.

Hold diagonally up and away on the joy stick, then whail on the C stick in the same direction, keep flicking the C stick, or hold both sticks diagonally up and away but they must not be in the exact same position meaning have one lower from the corner preferably the C stick.

Once that is done Ness will slide drastically further. Video will be up soon...

Ness will fall out of Marth's grab range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy_1ttIB7A0

Better video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEpS_jrNpOU

Luigi player

Smash Master
Awesome! I guess he can still hit you with fsmash when Ness is released, right? =/

Does it work against Charizard too?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
It should work on all grab releases. He can still down smash...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
*facepalm*

Thats called Smash Direction Influence or for short, SDI.

DI is using the control stick
SDI involves using the control stick and the C stick to smash yourself away.

Its nothing new.
*Facepalm*

That's wrong. Very, very wrong.

Smash DI is taping the control stick or c-stick during hitlag in order to nudge your character over a predefined distance before actually DIing. You cannot smash DI out of grabs, because they have no hitlag to speak of (well, in melee anyway. Jigglypuff's f-throw was the only exception.)

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Actually you can't smash DI grabs there is no hit lag... Plus I'm just mentioning it can be used to escape this. If I didn't mention people would still be stuck getting grabbed for a long time by Marth.

Dark Sonic got it, thanks.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Amazing work Ref! I've seen this a few times by fluke but I thought it was just the Marth player messing up.

Marth barely has any advantage over Ness with this. It's nearly even.

Masky

Smash Master
I'll test if this works with b-sticking next time I get a chance if no one has before then. But since I didn't say it before, extremely nice find Ref! :)

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
So there is no need for the super-grab-break then? Just Hold the Control stick up and away (Which is a diagnal direction right?) and flick the c-stick in that same diagnal instead of rotating the control in the opposite direction and flicking the c-stick also opposite?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
SGB was a pointless tactic that didn't really solve much but teach you to break out faster. This well, this is... So amazing it's not even funny how good this is. Marth can't dash grab you either I tested.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Well, good. Now we need to spread this info as not everyone visits char. forums and this needs to be known. Maybe putting this on tactical forum? They'll probably move it anyway*sigh*.

Will this work with D3's standing infinites on Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Samus, and DK? That would be a good topic title for the tactical board:

"Standing infinites no longer work due to extra-inch DI".

EDIT: Do you have enough time to spot dodge after breaking out with EI-DI so F-smash or Down-smash doesnt work?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Well, good. Now we need to spread this info as not everyone visits char. forums and this needs to be known. Maybe putting this on tactical forum? They'll probably move it anyway*sigh*.

Will this work with D3's standing infinites on Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Samus, and DK? That would be a good topic title for the tactical board:

"Standing infinites no longer work due to extra-inch DI".

EDIT: Do you have enough time to spot dodge after breaking out with EI-DI so F-smash or Down-smash doesnt work?
This was discovered almost forever ago. If you went to the Marth boards you would know this so it really changes nothing.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Marth cannot dash grab you from what I tested with this. It will not work with D3's down throw Infinite because that has nothing to do with Grab releasing as it is by throwing and grabbing again.

Attacks still work.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
This was discovered almost forever ago. If you went to the Marth boards you would know this so it really changes nothing.
Yes, because we ALL go to the Marth board on a regular basis!

Can you all shut the hell up with "this is old omg" already? Just leave this thread if you aren't even a Ness player and have nothing better to say. /actually irritated

Ref, thanks for discovering this... perhaps now we should go back through the whole cast to see if anyone else loses effectiveness.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah, I went to the Marth Boards once. It's scary over there...

So, does this mean Ness can finally break out of Ghetto Tier in the next version of the tier list? Because it seemed that Marth was one of the really bad match-ups that was keeping him down... Even though I think Marth's aerial game is still stronger, the grab-release was a big problem...

And now it seems to have vanished.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Marth boards are a very scary place... I don't like it there... And anyone saying this is old doesn't understand the whole concept.

Okay guys now let's decide on a name for this.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
I think EIDI is a funny way to abbreviate it. Extra-inch DI is a good name. Now that I think about it, Bowser can also grab-release some characters right? Will it work on him?

Matt07

Smash Master
Wow this is pretty sweet find Ref, a lot of Ness mains must be glad about this.

Umm...just curious do you think this would work against King Dedede's chain throw on Mario? If your technique would be able to do that.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
It doesn't work on King Dedede's down throw stuff...

EIDI looks cool...

Gaussis

Smash Ace
This is suprising, but I always had a feeling we were missing something here. The thing was that it was Ness's leaning head animation that caused the regrab (you can notice this in 1/4 speed). That looked suspicious and made me go crazy with the different DI inputs. I noticed minor differences in the DI, but I have no clue as to how I missed this. :confused:

Good job, Ref.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I can't seem to do it with Lucas but try it. Probably was just tired of smashing that c stick. However lucas and Ness do seem to move differently. Lucas gets the large slide as he lands Ness gets the speed air to land far away...

I think...

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Does this work with c-stick set to specials?
By my theorization, C-stick and B-stick are each an instant, instantly ceased, input of a smash + the correct button in the direction you put the stick, which doesn't trigger again until the stick goes to neutral (preventing turbo controller functionality).

However, I can't explain how you get neutral Bs. Since I don't B-stick, remind me: You get a neutral B if you hit a diagonal direction softly, right? Well, just make sure to avoid that, and the diagonal smash input should go in instead of whatever strange thing the B-sticked neutral B is.

I wonder if this applies to lucas's grab break as well, that would get lucas out of range of the dsmash.
I see what you did there.

Oh wait. . . you main Ness now? Or do you just use the icon to look cool? It's okay if you do. Blonde hair flips ftl. :chuckle:

Levitas

the moon
I like ness as a character better. I don't main Ness or lucas, but I like to play as them as often as possible, so I'll sometimes go pure ness or lucas in a tournament for the lulz. BTW, I like Mother 3 better than earthbound.

Now, for bsticking, there's no softly involved. A diagonal bstick input will always give you a neutral b.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Can you keep testing it if it will work in all cases? I just hope that one day maybe the people who discuss the tier list will know about this, but they'll want proof that Ness can escape Marth's deathgrab consistently.

Anyways, this is good news if it is true that Ness can escape Marth's deathgrab. Hopefully Ness will be bumped up at least to mid-tier at best if it all does well :)

But does this also work with Charizard's deathgrab on Ness as well?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
It works 100% of the time done right. However the max distance of slide will vary slightly each time using this technique.

Might work on Charizard's.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Okay I've come to the conclusion that Charizards grab break is un-DI-able. It should work the same as any grab break would on slanted surfaces.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Okay I've come to the conclusion that Charizards grab break is un-DI-able. It should work the same as any grab break would on slanted surfaces.
Wait what? So you mean Ness CANNOT do this same technique as he does with Marth's deathgrab, with Charizard's? Ness is screwed :(

I wonder why Sakurai put things like this in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom