• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extra Inch DI! NO MORE MARTH SUPER Regrab

Status
Not open for further replies.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
I'm not so worried about Charizard as I was with Marth. You don't see many PT's anymore in the tournament scene then when the game first came out. PT will also still have to trade out Pokemon at some point in the match as well, however with Marth you had to worry about the deathgrab the whole match.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I think I found out you can just hold the two sticks diagonally and it will work, just make sure to spot dodge right away.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Ugh, now this will make me look like a liar. :urg:

Well, at least there's no more CGs.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
I think I found out you can just hold the two sticks diagonally and it will work, just make sure to spot dodge right away.

You mean you dont have to flick anything?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Squirtle can't seem to re grab Ness... Well I can't do it.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Ok so with Charizard, what should the Ness do? You can't DI out of it?

So after Charizard lets go of you, you're supposed to spot dodge immediately after?

Also with Marth's dsmash can you shield it or spot dodge it or will the after lag guarantee you'll get hit by the dsmash every time he lets go of you?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Marth's down smash works, you can't shield it, Charizard's grab you have to deal with, can't do anything.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well EIDI sounds like a good name for this. As for Charizard and his deathgrab, I'm not so worried about him, because at least Ness has a chance against Charizard.

Browny

Smash Hater
So like, i hope you guys can deconfirm this for me. But can a lot of characters release chain grab ness across the stage? the characters with fast enough pummel animations such that he always has a ground break can simply run up to him and regrab well before his shield, jab or grab even starts to come out. This EIDI doesnt seem to affect characters who hold him on the ground in the first place.

I hope its not the case :/

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Only Charizard can grab release Ness across the stage now, Marth used to be able to.

Other characters can't because you can still DI normally and spot dodge.

Browny

Smash Hater
I think this is worth looking a bit into by the ness boards as well. But i suspect Sonic can release CG him. ive been doing some rather extensive testing on this having having my brother EIDI, attempt to jump break and spamming spot dodge indeed helped him escape this when done by most characters (thanks for the info) but sonic was still able to chain him across the stage. At times i even managed to record increases in the combo counter on training from simple regrabs with sonic (which btw, do not register as combos when done my marth or charizard)

I will be getting frame data of this later tonight to see whether this is escapable or not (sure to be difinitive) but am hoping someone here can see if its escapable first, and let me know how to do it before i go and do the frame counting. To do it, just mash grab with sonic while holding him and then as he releases, youll have to buffer a dash grab out of sonics release animation. The timing is actually rather easy, just be sure to press Z as fast as humanly possible after you input the dash.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I think this is worth looking a bit into by the ness boards as well. But i suspect Sonic can release CG him. ive been doing some rather extensive testing on this having having my brother EIDI, attempt to jump break and spamming spot dodge indeed helped him escape this when done by most characters (thanks for the info) but sonic was still able to chain him across the stage. At times i even managed to record increases in the combo counter on training from simple regrabs with sonic (which btw, do not register as combos when done my marth or charizard)

I will be getting frame data of this later tonight to see whether this is escapable or not (sure to be difinitive) but am hoping someone here can see if its escapable first, and let me know how to do it before i go and do the frame counting. To do it, just mash grab with sonic while holding him and then as he releases, youll have to buffer a dash grab out of sonics release animation. The timing is actually rather easy, just be sure to press Z as fast as humanly possible after you input the dash.
Training is useless TBH, it doesn't have stale move negation, and it can screw up some chain grab's e.c.t.

Browny

Smash Hater
The only thing i did in training was to see if the combo counter went up. I actually got my replay of this from a proper stock match, I know all about move decay and stuff. looks like my frame data will have to wait till tommorow night though.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
The only thing i did in training was to see if the combo counter went up. I actually got my replay of this from a proper stock match, I know all about move decay and stuff. looks like my frame data will have to wait till tommorow night though.
Oh great. :(

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I just noticed that EIDI backwards is "I DIE".

Anyway... Looks like Ness is movin' on up... (to the east side) I'm glad Ref found this, because whenever I fight a Marth in teams, they don't hesitate to use that. Now I can finally fight back!

I'm glad Ness is still making progress. For a while, it seemed like we were at a permanent standstill. Also, the other day I coulda sworn that I got Olimar with an inescapable dash-grab release unintentionally, but I'm not completely sure yet... Whenever I can tear myself away from Wii Music, I'll test that some more... I hope I can find something useful.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Holding the C-stick does nothing.

Therefore, if this works when just holding the C-stick diagonally, then either (a) the C-stick is not actually involved, or (b) EIDI needs just one input from the C-stick, which it will accept in any part of a huge interval.

Due to the improbability of the latter, I suspect the former.

Some questions:

1. Does it matter if tap jump is on?
  2. If you do this input from a neutral position, what happens? Do you reverse Fsmash, do you utilt, or do you do an aerial? Do you perform an empty jump (or do nothing with tap jump off)?

I'm particularly interested if the answer to 2 is "it varies by how exactly you flick both sticks."

See, because, I am incredulous that this input somehow works, but everything that people have been doing up until this point hasn't. I know people tried tapping away from Marth. You say this input is really simple. How could you be the first person to try the diagonal?

I'm not doubting you of course - I'm trying to explain the mechanic.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
The mechanic is not much known but I think it has to do with keeping Ness in the air for longer and he can therefore move further.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Ness players need every inch they can get.

...that's what she said...

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
just a thought, maybe holding the c-stick doesn't do anything while being held, but upon release it inputs a single SDI input.

That seems kind of like a stretch, but still. Holding the C-stick will only input a single command (think of SDI, you have to return the C-Stick to neutral in order to re-input SDI).

Then again, maybe there is some form of ASDI in this game, and it's just so ridiculously minor you can only really tell the difference on things of this magnitude. Or maybe you can only ASDI grab releases. Who knows.

Browny

Smash Hater
Im quite sure i was. I had my brother mashing the EIDI inputs but it seems to have no effect on ground releases, only ones where he is held above the ground.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Dash grab grab release chaingrabs do really negligible damage if you break optimally, except at high damage. They really aren't a big deal.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Okay your brother should have held away, this tech does not seem to work when you are on the ground.

Brother should also hold shield mashing Downwards after he gets out when DIing away only. I actually tested this once before, the video does seem to be done somewhat properly.. Though I could not get this, but the video looks done so right.

The video looks right but the DI is wrong.

Final Analysis

1. No more standing re grab.
2. Marth can't seem to dash grab you because of the Distance you go and the speed you land at.
3. Does not set you up for Tippers
4. Marth can still smash you out of a grab.
5. Marth can't seem to step grab you.
6. If you think this is old, it's not. If it was then why were we getting re grabbed for about 5 or 6 months... Plus, if there was something similar it 80% surely doesn't include the fact you diagonally DI.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Wont work with d3's infinite.

Marth cannot dash grab you from what I tested with this. It will not work with D3's down throw Infinite because that has nothing to do with Grab releasing as it is by throwing and grabbing again.

Attacks still work.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet.

Are there any clarifying suggestions from those who have gotten it to work?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Are you sure that Marth can't dash grab ness still? I'd really like to see that.. It's not an infinite, but its still a chain grab across the stage that puts you into an edgeguarded situation

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I tried EIDI and it didn't work for me
Try the simpler version. Hold both sticks diagonal away from Marth, and be ready to spot dodge. You should slide away, and be able to spot dodge.

Still I remain good testerless with the dash grab theory, I keep getting No, but everyone thinks Yes.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
So, does this mean Ness can finally break out of Ghetto Tier in the next version of the tier list?

I lol`d. But Ness cant break out of Ghetto Tier, the ghettos got him trapped, it seems. Plus hes too gangster.

So yeah does it work with B-stick? cause I B-Stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom