• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ganon is super duper boring to fight Kage.

I know jump back Fair / stationary Fair might be like, the most exciting thing ever for you, but it's really not that interesting for the other player lol.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I disagree. Ganon is really fun to fight >_> as Fox anyway. If it's a good Ganon, you always have to be on your toes, but you can pull off fat combos and really abuse what makes the spacies so good/fun. I've always had a blast playing Kage in tournaments and stuff.

RTpmwe

Smash Cadet
I'm looking for some specific matchup information with Fox vs. Peach, I think I don't know anything about the matchup at all and I am constantly getting shieldgrabbed since I don't actually know how to approach that's the reason I don't get waveshines to grabs to uairs. Sorry I don't have any videos since I haven't been recording any lately. So some basic tips about how to approach Peach and spacing against Peach

Vincent46

Smash Cadet
does foxes uair or usmash kill earlier (both from ground level) in PAL?
They don't. Usmash requires addictional percent because its knockback is weaker.
Marth may die earlier from fox's uair, though, since he's a bit lighter.

joeplicate

Smash Master
oh man

practicing tech skill can be so rewarding sometimes

it's weird, because once i start up, i'll see improvement from last time, then that improvement will gradually fade as i practice things to the point of frustration (LOL)

and then i'll practice another character or take a break for awhile, then when i come back i'm even crispier than before :D

i also figure that application plays as big a part in learning tech skill as muscle memory does. my evidence: playing on my own (empty controller character), playing vs a handicapped DK, then playing against a normal DK, my tech skill got better each time because i was thinking about spacing more and more.

perhaps i was activating areas of my brain which only fire up when you're actually playing vs someone? unlocking an old stock of tech skill, so to speak?

FOOD 4 THOUGHT!! :)

Palpi

Smash Hero
Whenever I practice tech skill, I play like a robot. It sads me.

My spacings got a lot better with marth after I played jiggs for some reason.

EWC

Smash Ace
Brookman already posted that video. That's what he meant when he said "back to the topic of shield dropping".

Anyways I thought for a long time that shield dropping out of attacks and stuff was too hard to be worth while. But I was just trying to do it the dumb way. As soon as I started doing it the same way as dash shield drops (which I do pretty much constantly in my platform movement) it got hella easy.

The downside to this is that you have to sort of "set it up". So I can't just panic and put up my shield on a platform and then drop immediately. So it ends up being similar in applicability to the old "lightshield at the edge of the plat, get hit, fall off bair" trick. I haven't really gotten used to doing it yet, but I think it will be pretty useful once I do.

One place where it definitely pays of is if you get hit//thrown onto a platform by like a marth or something. You know how sometimes they miss their uptilt or whatever and you get the chance to put your shield up? In this situation I'll normally just wait for them to hit my shield once and then jump out and waveland off the top platform. Sometimes you can call their uptilt and down dodge drop through aerial but that's risky cuz if they wait you're gonna get *****. But if you do the shield drop, which you can automatically set up by just tilting the direction during your tech animation, then you can REACT to the uptilt and drop aerial. I'm not comfortable enough with this to apply it in match yet, but it seems really good.

On the topic of "oos techs that I always thought were too hard for me to do reliably in game", I've also been trying waveshine oos a lot recently. I'm actually kinda surprised that it took me so long to get on it since I learned to do like 20 multishines back in 07 but whatever.

Anyways I was practicing waveshine oos->upsmash against marth and got it to combo in training mode 4 times in a row on a few different occasions, which really made me happy. I've managed to do thunders' oos a couple of times too but that still seems too hard for me. The only time I've ever actually applied this effectively in match so far was waveshine oos->nair juggle against my roommate's mario but still, I'm getting there.

I know some of you guys are already good at this but I guess this post is more directed at people who had previously dismissed waveshine oos as too hard to be viable like I did. Reconsider your decision; You might be pleasently surprised.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
In fox dittos, i usually see fox fsmash the other fox after the other drills for their ledgehop.

Is fsmash the only counter against fox ledgehop.

Heres my friends vid. 3:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn6sobaVvOg
F-smash is the only thing you can ever do vs a poorly executed ledgehop Dair.

Bair, U-smash, Shine, D-smash, and U-tilt will never work against it. Neither will dash dance --> move. F-smash is the only thing that can ever truly work.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I disagree. Ganon is really fun to fight >_> as Fox anyway. If it's a good Ganon, you always have to be on your toes, but you can pull off fat combos and really abuse what makes the spacies so good/fun. I've always had a blast playing Kage in tournaments and stuff.
yea, kage's fun to play with. so im going with ganon is fun to fight.

@joe-I feel the exact same way about practicing tech skill. when u "come back" its usually easier and gradually becomes more second nature. im excited to use infinite shield in conjunction with training mode plus c stick. percent placement and slow mo I think can be really useful.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
F-smash is the only thing you can ever do vs a poorly executed ledgehop Dair.

Bair, U-smash, Shine, D-smash, and U-tilt will never work against it. Neither will dash dance --> move. F-smash is the only thing that can ever truly work.
Oh now look what you did. I think you made him cry.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Oh now look what you did. I think you made him cry.
Not necessarily. I wasn't playing, and I would never execute a poor ledgehop dair considering that im the best fox player and best player in Jamaica. Even if I was playing I would just learn from my mistakes and continue my campaign in becoming the greatest fox player who ever lived.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
practicing tech skill can be so rewarding sometimes

it's weird, because once i start up, i'll see improvement from last time, then that improvement will gradually fade as i practice things to the point of frustration (LOL)

and then i'll practice another character or take a break for awhile, then when i come back i'm even crispier than before :D
it's very, very snowy and cold up in Ishikawa right now, but I've recently become interested in getting in better condition, so I bought a jump rope about a month and a half ago and started jumping rope for fitness.

I noticed the same thing - at first, it was the most frustrating ****ing thing ever, I remember my first "workout" I couldn't jump 20 times in a row. I gave up after 15 minutes and went back inside.

next workout, I could jump up to 30 times in a row. even though, at the end of my first workout, I was doing WORSE than I had been at the start, there was a significant improvement that apparently developed over the course of the day or two between the workouts.

so I'm pretty sure that most motor memory works the same way. I recall, as a kid, too, my piano teacher told me to take breaks when I wasn't able to learn a certain part of a piece. sure enough, coming back the next day would give your muscle memory time to "think" about what it was trying to do, in a way.

lastly, i remember otto saying something similar >.> when he would do Brinstar escape routines, he would always spend like 2 hours trying to record a clip, then he'd be like "thank god that's over," then he'd come back the next day and hit the same routine in like 5-10 minutes.

the human body is interesting hahah

bottom line? practice pays off, even when it seems like it doesn't. you just gotta believe in yourself, and have heart haha

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
@brookman: word. i have hella more energy these days after i started jumping rope 3-4 times a week haha

not saying that it's necessarily superior to running, but it's very convenient - you can take a jump rope anywhere, and i can't exactly go running in a blizzard - but i can always jump rope in the garage :P

@kage: I have no idea if that was in response to me saying Ganon is fun to fight, or to me saying jump rope is a great conditioning tool, or to me saying that you have to believe in yourself and have heart... but YEAHH <3

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Who cares about sheik combo videos? They're really boring usually, because even when you see something creative its further value is immediately lost forever... kinda like a reverse fair to dair with marth. Got old, really fast.

:)?

Top Bottom