• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Zoler

Smash Ace
This thread > all, as usual

I thought everyone knew fox's shine is slightly bigger than falcos?

I really have to agree with leffen, why not just double shine? :p Double shines are so underrated. Falcos seem to use it a lot, foxes haven't caught up. It's probably because the nair shine pressure is a little bit tighter and looks really cool when you do it.

Also leffen stop being a douche hehe, cu soon hopefully ^_^

i dont get why you guys all think shine size is the only factor of the matter. keep in mind that fox's shield reaches much farther out forward than his shine does. also falcos shine pushes him back a bit each time.

i just tested it and it is EASILY possible to do a double shine and be out of reach of foxs shine as falco.

edit: to clarify, i did the test on a pretty full shield, which would be the likeliest scenario imo. especially since you wouldnt be doing a double shine in wait for a shine oos if they had a relatively small shield.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
If fox's shine is bigger, how is it possible to be in range to hit fox with falco's double shine, without being at risk of being hit by fox's shine?

I'm not trying to be a prick, I just don't see how its logistically possible

edit: If we're only talking about the falco hitting the shield and nothing else then I understand. But I thought th argument was over whether wes' technique cud be used to hit fox and not be in danger of being his by shine oos

edit 2: ah, so you're only talking about hitting his shield. gotcha

If fox's shine is bigger, how is it possible to be in range to hit fox with falco's double shine, without being at risk of being hit by fox's shine?

I'm not trying to be a prick, I just don't see how its logistically possible
you dont need to be in range of fox's hitbox to be able to pressure his shield.

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
Hmm but is it possible to shieldstab if falco is pressuring fox's shield at that range?

:phone:

edit: stupid question haha.... :p. but if falco is pressuring fox's shield in that range... could you just drop your shield and avoid the shine because it won't reach fox's hitbox?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
omfg i love all you guys

we should settle this with a CREW BATTLE AT THE NEXT NATIONAL

westballz lovage sw vs. leffen unknown and uhh... idk raynex i guess

HYPE

edit: foreal though that would be pretty tight huh

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Man, i dont care how good you are at this game. if all you have to say is to tell everyone how dumb they are for not understanding your vague a** statements and pretend to be superior, you need to grow the f*** up

unknown522

Some guy
Lmfao thanks otto at least someone knows something
lol as I you know ****.

Anyways, SW, you can still shine oos assuming that you don't shield DI away. And anyways, you can just use another move if they hit the tip of their shine and/or just move out of the way drop the shield or we you want on it. I guess doing a different move will negate some of that but we weren't talking about that anyway...

:phone:

WestBallz

Smash Ace
Man, i dont care how good you are at this game. if all you have to say is to tell everyone how dumb they are for not understanding your vague a** statements and pretend to be superior, you need to grow the f*** up
Actually i described how it doesn't work a couple pages back. Also unknown was acting like a know it all so i guess my post came off a bit douchelike. But ur right i should grow up and not make such silly posts.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
This thread > all, as usual

I thought everyone knew fox's shine is slightly bigger than falcos?

I really have to agree with leffen, why not just double shine? :p Double shines are so underrated. Falcos seem to use it a lot, foxes haven't caught up. It's probably because the nair shine pressure is a little bit tighter and looks really cool when you do it.

Also leffen stop being a douche hehe, cu soon hopefully ^_^
Against characters that don't fall down from the shine, people don't double shine with Fox as much as with Falco because Fox can't convert stray shines during pressure strings into combos without committing to the shine hitting (barring shenanigans... like, hitting the shine and the nair combos outright, but that sort of thing is rare). The purpose of Fox's shine during pressure is primarily as a means to transition into another action - not initiate damage (which limits its utility). With Falco, it does both, so they can be more liberal about using it without hurting their efficiency.

This changes a bit based on whether people fall down from the shine. If they fail the tech and you commit to another action (aerial, usually) then it's not terrible - you won't be able to follow directly, but you're at reasonable advantage (in terms of options and such). If they get the tech, though, and you don't commit to the shine hitting, your string ends. So, there's still some limitations, but they're not terrible.

So, yeah. tl;dr Fox's shine hitting doesn't guarantee a combo or follow to the same degree that Falco's does. That's why people don't spam it as much during onstage pressure.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
On the subject of Shine hitboxes, Fox's is indeed larger than Falco's. Fox's hitbox is size 2048, and Falco's is 1536. This is 25% smaller than Fox's.

unknown522

Some guy
Actually i described how it doesn't work a couple pages back. Also unknown was acting like a know it all so i guess my post came off a bit douchelike. But ur right i should grow up and not make such silly posts.
I'm not trying to be an *******, but if I can help people then I will try to.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
The biggest don't vs sheik, imo, is don't let yourself get baited into trying to punish something she does that looks unsafe (i.e. punishable) but actually isn't.

The biggest don't vs sheik, imo, is don't let yourself get baited into trying to punish something she does that looks unsafe (i.e. punishable) but actually isn't.
i dont think thats very helpful for someone who needs help with the match up like that lol. id give advice but i can only combo sheik lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
No. that is Fox's shine's graphic effect within the orb that resides under Final Destination.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
i dont think thats very helpful for someone who needs help with the match up like that lol. id give advice but i can only combo sheik lol
no I literally think it's the most important thing lol (at least the most important "don't"), even at low levels

like even when I watch noob foxes lose to noob sheiks it's because they run into the garbage tilts that the sheik spams trying to punish something

Lovage

Smash Hero
no I literally think it's the most important thing lol (at least the most important "don't"), even at low levels

like even when I watch noob foxes lose to noob sheiks it's because they run into the garbage tilts that the sheik spams trying to punish something
yeah it's not bad advice, i would phrase it by saying all of sheik's moves cept her smashes are fast as **** and it's not like you can DD grab them like it's a falcon or something. half the matchup is baiting out her dash attacks and bad fairs and then bairing her (or drill if its a really HARD READDDDDDD))))

edit:
actually i wouldn't say any of that

i'd just say get good at edge guarding and every matchup becomes 70% easier. edge guarding is the biggest, easiest, most obvious flaw every lower level smasher has but no one wants to be really critical on themselves for it for some reason.

i HATE missing easy edge guards (edge guards where their position is so good it might be a toss-up aren't so bad) and really focus on that as the #1 way to force myself to play better if i'm playing bad, just don't let them get back on da stage lol.

just imagine it: if 95% of the falcon community was as good as hax is when it comes to edge guarding sheik, they would say the matchup is even on the boards lol.

Top Bottom