• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
thanks for the advice, sorry my post was so long, I wanted to try and give enough information so that It would be easy to give more specific advice, but I guess that didn't work :\
anyways, thanks a bunch.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uhm yea I guess I kind of did...
I should probably answer my own questions more so that I don't ask unnecessary questions, since lovage always seems to get annoyed at me :S

Lovage

Smash Hero
lol **** you ******

i was actually giving u the most important advice you will ever hear: how to properly ask for advice

but alas, the truth is out, you are a chode and i wasted da **** out of my time LOL

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I love how Oscar is 100% tough love on the internet

Because in person he's just a sweetie

I'm gonna pinch his cheeks as soon as I see him ^_^

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I wasn't trying to insult you lovage .-.
maybe its the way you post, it always makes me feel like i've done something wrong.

Van.

Smash Ace
vanir never said anything ab out him being as good as lovage, but you still took the liberty of making the tired winning more matches then there actually are in a set joke.

weak sauce

Lovage

Smash Hero
LMFAO drunk kk always causes a mah **** ruckus on the boards

I wasn't trying to insult you lovage .-.
maybe its the way you post, it always makes me feel like i've done something wrong.
i have no problem with you br0

it's just i'm nearly positive you did not comprehend my post for beans, and you've been just nodding along.

Alch0ol

Smash Cadet
if anyone actually wants to get better at this game they should regularly record videos of themselves and appraise them on a second by second basis noting through the entire match....
-How well and fast their tech skill is at any point
-whether or not they are playing aggressive or defensive
-What they are trying to accomplish (offensively or defensively)
-How well they are spacing their attacks
-the fluidity at which they switch from being offensive to defensive
-What the opponent is trying to do or accomplish
-What their and the opponents options are
-And other things like how well the edgeguarded

This should be done for the entire extent of the video to understand what actually goes on during smash matches and to easily point out personal weakness. After that take notes on your mistakes and refresh them to yourself before your next recording session. Do it for like 2 months straight and I would be very surprised to see you perform even close to the same level as before. (Unless you record like 2 matches a week or have no one good to play against)

Last but not least the list I pointed out at the top will obviously change as you learn from observing yourself.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Okay, Lovage. Specific question time.

How do I shot laser beam?

Edit:

I've actually watched a match of myself before.

Needless to say, there was a lot I could have done differently in that ten minutes of footage. Like, I dunno, not ****ing SUCK at everything when it comes to this game. Still, it's a helpful tool. An extremely helpful one.

Also, what Lovage said about specific questions having the greatest yield when it comes to getting the right answers. That's definitely another one.

Smooth Criminal

Alch0ol

Smash Cadet
metakill the most important thing is that you review it yourself first. you must understand things from investigating them by yourself

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I liked alcohol's post on how to improve..if new players followed it I would probably be pissed off on the boards a lot less...but then I understand that not everyone can record..but honestly...there is a simpler solution...don't care if you lose..pause after a nice sequence of interchanges and think hard about what happened...make sure you contemplate whether you won the situation and if not, think about ways to handle what they did..then you'll get better..

also on a side note, I really really hate the overemphasis on aggro vs defensive play....I don't deny that they exist in that each character tends to have 1-2 top matchups where they are pidgeonholed into a certain style...but in reality in most matchups it's not that you are playing aggro or defensive..you either take certain actions to break approaches..or if they do not approach in some matchups you have safe options to approach and others you don't....what's important is understanding why certain situations are favorable or unfavorable..not thinking to yourself...i want to be more aggro...

also people often keep saying that they play too defensively..but then i watch videos of them..and they aren't "playing defensively," they are being forced on the defensive by other people who are better than them and know what they are doing....first of all you have to consider whether when both players choose the most common approach options in the matchup, who will win....and if one player is favored in that situation it is obvious that you will have to mix in proper defense....fox is a char though that can just kind of open offense pretty well as long as his dashdance is good...but if your opponent is good you may find your attacks either missing or being countered in some way..and then what inevitably happens with worse players is that they lose confidence in their offense (with good reason because they are either misspacing or do not how to deal with what their opponent is doing) and then forced onto defense..in particular they keep dashdancing but their opponent starts to get this feeling that they really don't have the balls to attack..and then the dash dance has a lot less meaning their opponent keeps taking their space or reading their dash away and then forcing defense...

anyway long story short, stop talking so much about learning aggro style or defense style..you should think about specific things in the matchup and how to counter them

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya I agree with most of it, being an aggro or defensive style just means it's everything put together which will determine which side of the offensive or defensive style you would be on.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
KP with the posts full of truth. Which is what I sort of tried to tell you when we play, Vanir, but couldn't cause I'd sound like a condescending douche, but thinking "I want to be more aggro" isn't the right mindset to have towards this game.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
Trying to improve, can someone give me advices?
Here's two videos of my Fox (that sucks)
vs. Falcon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAv2izIAGqA
vs. Peach (I get ***** so bad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAhT_kA48fA
Try doing everything faster and get your L-cancels down consistently. Make sure that you're able to dash, wavedash, jump or smash immediately after you land. Always stay mobile.

The only way to achieve this, of course, is tons of practice.

EDIT: as a side note, your waveshines are really good. I dunno how you can do those consistently yet are often caught not following up after an L-cancel, but oh well

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
Alch0ol's point about being fluid when switching from defense to offense is a great one (among others) to keep in mind.

Blind aggression or aggression for aggressions sake won't get you very far. Instead of hoping to become more aggressive overall, one should focus more on the specific instances in which they must shift to a higher gear. This means accepting those defensive moments (which are presumably taking place out of necessity, and cannot just be foregone) as they come, figuratively "turning on a dime" out of defensive mode and immediately laying some hurt down on your opponent. One must punish their opponent for pressuring their defense; wether it be well timed shield grabs or OoS attacks, or being ready to instantly start a combo when and if they miss-space and fall short on an attack.

When your opponent tries to break your defenses is often when they leave themselves most vulnerable, as they are not as focused on their own defense. Such are golden opportunities for unrelenting aggression. Defend when you must, then punish until you cannot punish any more. The morale of the story is that those defensive situations you might find yourself in are the doorway to aggression, not something to directly replace with more aggression overall, as that will only lead to being put in even more defensive situations.

"If you wait by the river long enough, you will see the bodies of your enemies float by." - Old miss-atributed proverb

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
I just think viewing the game in such limited fashion only gets you limited results. It's fine if you utilize such things to accomplish specific tasks, but you get ***** as soon as you think it's a means to an end.

To me it's all about pattern recognition and timing (reaction). Everything else stems from that.

Tero.

Smash Champion
So most of us are watching videos of Fox tournament matches, friendies, combo videos, misc stuff like hitboxes or w/e
And from time to time we find a video to be interesting and add it to our favorites for whatever reason (good combos, intense, Fox plays MU good, ...)

So why don't we have a Fox Video Topic where we could share stuff and support each other?
Like "sup guys just watched this video of mangos fox vs Armadas Peach and He's like playing the MU extremely well you gotta watch this"
"nice find bro but have a look at this crazy mexican winning against PPs Falco man that is insane"

What do you think?

:phone:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
It's fine if you utilize such things to accomplish specific tasks, but you get ***** as soon as you think it's a means to an end.
I'm just nitpicking your English here, but "utilizing something to accomplish a specific task" IS treating it as a "means to an end." You meant to say "you get ***** as soon as you think it's an end in and of itself."

Top Bottom