• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FS8: Revolucion! January 9th 2010, San Antonio TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I would also enjoy housing, and maybe some booze for the older gentlemen!!!!!! SOS WHERE YOU AT?

LuWIIgi

Smash Apprentice
When i saw this, i said "IM THERE FOR MvC2!!!"
Then i saw that they were hosting it on dreamcast.

seriously, wtf is that?
like anyone who hopes to play mvc2 on a high level practices on dreamcast >_>

anyway, its a maybe.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531

seriously, wtf is that?

anyway, its a maybe.
Here's hoping that sarcasm :psycho:

I'm gonna invite Toan to claim his reigning champ status of SA Marvel tournaments.

Suspect

Smash Hero

seriously, wtf is that?

anyway, its a maybe.
poor lost child has no clue about competitive MvC2

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If he thinks Brawl's tough to get good at...

Nah, I'm sure he'll enjoy getting infinited by Storms and Magnetos, walled by Sentinels, and camped by Cables.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
If he thinks Brawl's tough to get good at...

Nah, I'm sure he'll enjoy getting infinited by Storms and Magnetos, walled by Sentinels, and camped by Cables.
With the occasional Psylocke and Captian Commando for Super Infinite setups. :)

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
So... is anyone besides SOS, Kyle, Austin, and myself going to this for melee? And I need a teamsez partner since SOS and Austin decided to ditch me for each other. (back stabbing cheating man whores...) <3

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
So... is anyone besides SOS, Kyle, Austin, and myself going to this for melee? And I need a teamsez partner since SOS and Austin decided to ditch me for each other. (back stabbing cheating man whores...) <3
Houston and possibly Dallas are interested in coming.

Good chance of random appearences from Caveman, Taylor, Dyse, as well as Gore and/or Fletcher.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Kyle your melee rules are ****ed up

You can't have California striking with 6 stages, you need an odd number

How about this modified European ruleset.

How Stagestriking works:

You play 1 game of rock/paper/scissors with your opponent.The winner gets to strike a stage first. After this the loser will strike 2 stages and the winner may strike the last stage. This way 1 of the random stages is being played in the first game. (in teams Fountain of dreams will be replaced by Stadium.)

Starter stages:
Final destination
Dreamland 64
Battlefield
Fountain of dreams
Yoshi's story

Counterpick stages:

Kongo jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium
Mute City
Rainbow ride
Brinstar
Corneria

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Kyle your melee rules are ****ed up

You can't have California striking with 6 stages, you need an odd number

How about this modified European ruleset.

How Stagestriking works:

You play 1 game of rock/paper/scissors with your opponent.The winner gets to strike a stage first. After this the loser will strike 2 stages and the winner may strike the last stage. This way 1 of the random stages is being played in the first game. (in teams Fountain of dreams will be replaced by Stadium.)

Starter stages:
Final destination
Dreamland 64
Battlefield
Fountain of dreams
Yoshi's story

Counterpick stages:

Kongo jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium
Mute City
Rainbow ride
Brinstar
Corneria
Yeah..... my Melee set does need an update. What does that melee say about stage bans? Like are neutrals able to be banned?

Also, I don't think Greens Greens should be banned. At least not while Mute City is still allowed.

All whiners who cry out lame! or gay! should remember that counterpick stages are supposed to be that way, because it's supposed to give your character an advantage.

Also, I still think it should be random select. Why should Brawl influence a melee ruleset? Random select is how it gets done in every single other fighting game, including games where stage makes a difference.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
The problem with Green Greens is that the randomness is unpredictable and often game changing. On Brinstar you can see the acid coming, Mute you can see the cars, RC has a set pattern, Corneria's arwings require some skill to see but it's nothing like Green Greens. It randomly saves people, randomly blows you up, and the layout itself promotes camping. With the stage list I found, there's a balance; for every Peach/Jiggs/Floaty counterpick there's a Fox/Falco/Spacie one

These two are often considered neutral enough to be starter stages, and can benefit a variety of characters in different matchups

Kongo jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium

These two are more advantageous than the previous, but they're still fairly static/predictable, and more importantly, winnable counterpicks

Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

These two are the most extreme of the counterpicks in terms of the initial advantages they provide, but by learning the stages and how they function, you can still use the stage to your advantage
Mute City
Corneria

These stages strike a balance between strategic counterpicks while not making the first game determine the set because of how the counterpicks work out. Under my interpretation, you can ban any stage, and I'd probably suggest that bans are articulated after you win a match. The "neutrals can't be struck" rule is an outdated MLG one that is dumb and damaging at worst and arbitrary at best.

The difference between Melee and other fighters is the level of impact the stage has on the matchup. Even if other fighters have stages that make a difference, they're never to the depths that Melee has. Instead of leaving it up to chance, stage striking allows the two players to negotiate a fair playing field for the first match, which combined with a limited counterpick list, makes every match of the set important, and not just the first one. People shouldn't lose sets because they randomed to Yoshi's against a Marth or a Puff on Dreamland. Falcons shouldn't get a loss because the game decided it wanted the first game on FoD. Our entire ruleset is based around decreasing chance (No Items, etc) so this rule fits into that paradigm. Decreasing randomness produces more consistent results, which fits into our goals of finding the best players.

Why should other fighters influence Melee? Brawl is closer to Melee than Street Fighter.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
The problem with Green Greens is that the randomness is unpredictable and often game changing. On Brinstar you can see the acid coming, Mute you can see the cars, RC has a set pattern, Corneria's arwings require some skill to see but it's nothing like Green Greens. It randomly saves people, randomly blows you up, and the layout itself promotes camping. With the stage list I found, there's a balance; for every Peach/Jiggs/Floaty counterpick there's a Fox/Falco/Spacie one

These two are often considered neutral enough to be starter stages, and can benefit a variety of characters in different matchups

Kongo jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium

These two are more advantageous than the previous, but they're still fairly static/predictable, and more importantly, winnable counterpicks

Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

These two are the most extreme of the counterpicks in terms of the initial advantages they provide, but by learning the stages and how they function, you can still use the stage to your advantage
Mute City
Corneria

These stages strike a balance between strategic counterpicks while not making the first game determine the set because of how the counterpicks work out. Under my interpretation, you can ban any stage, and I'd probably suggest that bans are articulated after you win a match. The "neutrals can't be struck" rule is an outdated MLG one that is dumb and damaging at worst and arbitrary at best.

The difference between Melee and other fighters is the level of impact the stage has on the matchup. Even if other fighters have stages that make a difference, they're never to the depths that Melee has. Instead of leaving it up to chance, stage striking allows the two players to negotiate a fair playing field for the first match, which combined with a limited counterpick list, makes every match of the set important, and not just the first one. People shouldn't lose sets because they randomed to Yoshi's against a Marth or a Puff on Dreamland. Falcons shouldn't get a loss because the game decided it wanted the first game on FoD. Our entire ruleset is based around decreasing chance (No Items, etc) so this rule fits into that paradigm. Decreasing randomness produces more consistent results, which fits into our goals of finding the best players.

Why should other fighters influence Melee? Brawl is closer to Melee than Street Fighter.
Broken down like that, I guess it balances out. Doesn't make a difference to me whether Green Greens is on, and it's not like space animals don't have enough advantages anyways (Green Greens being a Fox stage through and through.

I'll take the stage striking, stage set, and all stages up for ban.

Oh and trust me, myself and most melee players will probably random for the first stage anyways. It just feels right honestly.

EDIT: Wait a **** minute, Landon you must have been reading the Brawl Ruleset or something I'm not using California Stage Striking for Melee. It's random select, with resets, and stage striking applicable to all stages.

I noticed I still have Japes and Greens on, but I'm gonna leave that open to discussion. This ain't Pound 4, this is Texas. I'm not obligated to follow their ruleset.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I like your ruleset, Kyle. And yea, Idk wtf DoH was talking about about California striking. I don't even know what that is... Whatever happened to the good ol standard melee ruleset?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I like your ruleset, Kyle. And yea, Idk wtf DoH was talking about about California striking. I don't even know what that is... Whatever happened to the good ol standard melee ruleset?
Exactly! Melee's rule set hit it's stride ages ago. While the meta game has continued to evolve even now (look at Captain Falcon or Jigglypuff vids pre-brawl release and post-brawl release and you'll see the difference) there are core elements to the way we have been playing the game for years.

Besides, honestly, if I changed it, it'll leave all us OG's confused. The problem with California Striking is that it doesn't really help either player when we all know by now who plays what character.

For example, with me and bluezaft (peach and marth, respectively) Obviously the first stages to go would be dreamland and yoshi's. Combine that with being able to to ban neutrals, and you're left without the possibility of ever getting a stage that you are comfortable with.

Random select with Random Resets give both players an equal opportunity to get a stage that will give them a slight benefit. Counterpicks are used for extreme character benefits.

While I don't like fighting Marth on Yoshi's any day of the week, on the bright side I still have the chance to use my reset, and if it still comes up, oh well. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Bluezaft still has the option to reset Dreamland if it comes up. The random select is fair and impartial to either player.

If Yoshi's nor Dreamland comes up, both me and Blue have the option to ban it after Round 1. But at least the chance to get that stage is open in Round 1, and that's what matters. Round 2 and 3 are subject to stage bans, so then options are limited.

Finally neither, Japes nor Green Greens has ever completely dominated the metagame like say Onett did. You have to consider whether it was a problem at large or not warrant a ban, rather than just complaining about the stage from a personal or theoretical point of view.

Bluk

Smash Apprentice
Omg i finally remembered my password!
It only took me about a year
Anyway hmmm very much want to come but as for now i am sooo uncertain
Mehhh...
Anyone from houston going?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Omg i finally remembered my password!
It only took me about a year
Anyway hmmm very much want to come but as for now i am sooo uncertain
Mehhh...
Anyone from houston going?
Talk with Jake13 (Thespis) or Mouf.

Or RocketTrainer? I don't even know if you're a Melee player. Just look at who is posting and post in the Houston threads.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I think Austin is teaming with SOS. I need a partner though, but I wanna know who all is coming to this first. Also, what's with the name change?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Ill get back to you. Been wanting to team with dphat for a long time.
SO is everyone coming to this? Houston and dallas?!? where are you at ladies!
Every city will be repping. Austin, Houston, El paso, Valley, and especially Dallas. Dallas is by far the most traveled group of players in Texas.

Santi

Smash Lord
Uh San Angelo travels the most.
Just for that comment I won't be attending.
Sorry.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Well I mention Dallas because they made up a nearly a 3rd of the attendance at FS5.

Santi why aren't you coming? It's local for you >_<

Santi

Smash Lord
NO JOHNS!!!!!!!!!!!
Idc why you mentioned Dallas.
San Angelo travels the most.
I'm not attending because I don't like your lack of mention of San Angelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom