• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fthrow/Dthrow Chaingrab Thread

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
This can grab defiantly helps Pikachu in matches where he was having trouble. I have tested it and the CGs are weird (due to percents you have to start and stuff), but it works really well.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Word. I had some serious doubts about these CGs at first, but now that they've been tested more and whatnot.... this is some really good stuff.

Tag/Prime, I'm going to PM you guys to get the numbers we've confirmed so far so I can put them in the guide. I just got back after a few days of being away, and all the numbers in this thread are making my head spin..... :dizzy:

I'll try to test what I can the next time I play someone offline. Yay to Michael Hey, Tag, Prime, Japanese dude who found these, etc. and so forth. Pika ftw. This isn't going to make him broken, but it'll definitely give us a bit more of an advantage (or less of a disadvantage) in some matchups.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Yay Kaylos back.

Also guys dont get all cocky. Gallax stop trash talking on all the boards

gallax

Smash Hero
we arent cocky. we are just very excited. cocky would be saying something simliar to "we are never going to lose again!!!!"

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Ok just be calm. We dont know anything about a CG on Wario aside from whats on that list no need to bring it up.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
that was before the buffered regrabs. people saying how they may have found ways to get out of the regular cg, such as wolf and fox's reflector, have got to realise that before this only 2 characters in the game could be dthrow cg'd, fox and wolf. if all of a sudden all these new people can be cg'd, it means that the grab is faster and that the old ways to get out of the cg may not apply anymore. further testing is needed.
I agree with Stealth here. Dont jump the gun just yet on match up ratio's. Spend alot of quality time tinkering around with the throws. Make sure you reach some good solid conclusions before you touch match up info.

i thought i would point this out. if you guys decide to hide it i will repost all the info in my own thread. hiding info does nothing but slow us down. i would rather learn how to deal with anti grab strats now then in the middle of a big tourney with a lot on the line.
Your right. Pikachu's meta game just got a little better. By sharing information, we can all work together and try to define and redefine the chain grab options now available to Pikachu's. While Pikachu's try to find ways of making the grab work, the Meta's and anyone else listed will work on ways of getting around it.

We all win.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
*n00b speak* So uh... I heard this Pikachu character is pretty good.

Is there a link to all these vids of CGs on some of these characters? I play Pikachu a little bit for fun, but I might actually try to make him a strong secondary with all these CGs.

Also, Stealth. Pika dittos. The Devil Rat's time has come.... XD

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Well...i can make a vid of me practicing this with a MK.

I think it might be inescapable if timed correctly...but im not even sure im doing buffered grabs correctly. I'm going off of how MK is stunned, then before the stun goes away [looking at his enlarged eyes] i re-grab him.

But the deal of the whole 10% or it doesnt work seems correct to me.

I also tried the Wolf fthrows into the Dthrow. Pika needs space in order to set Wolf up for the dthrow CG. I need at least half of Smashvilles platform in order to do it.

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
Fox is EVEN with MK?! I'd just like to SEE that to find out any mindgame/spacing those mad fox's could've done.
They abuse the hell out of the pivot grabs to cancel out the tornado and blaster to refresh Usmash so when they do the grab release they get a sure kill.

Guys, nothing. is Michael Hey, rofl. I would listen to him.
Fact.

EDIT: Truth what part of SoCal are you from???
Off topic and irrelevant I know. lol

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Okay, so i was testing it and i found this. WOlf will be able to shine after the 3rd one, but you can F-throw him once and then continue the CG and he won't be able to do anything until the % it shows in OP. Also...DDD is ****ing weird, i have the best way to do it in my vid, which will be up at around 9PM, i'm giong over my GFs. SOrry guys, you will have to wait a little longer.

philbobjoe

Smash Journeyman
One way to guess other people who could be chaingrabbed this way, would be to use the Falling Speed chart and test the characters between say, Metaknight and Fox.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
dont be too happy yourself. wario is next on our list to test.
AFAIK it's to 30... the 120 one is on the edge, so I'm not too worried, lol.

EDIT: The point isn't to use Pika exclusively... but how amazing would it be to face an exclusive d3/falco main, who counterpicks with MK for bad matchups, and watch him pick FD... then I pick Pika... and watch the look on his face, lol.

FD is probably MK's worst stage, so it would be hilarious to me :p

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
AFAIK it's to 30... the 120 one is on the edge, so I'm not too worried, lol.

EDIT: The point isn't to use Pika exclusively... but how amazing would it be to face an exclusive d3/falco main, who counterpicks with MK for bad matchups, and watch him pick FD... then I pick Pika... and watch the look on his face, lol.

FD is probably MK's worst stage, so it would be hilarious to me :p
That is one sexy scenario xD

Everyone will have to use Marth/G&W/ROB to handle Pikachu if their main can't. I sense a sudden rise of Marth users.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
W.T.F.

Vids or it will never happen x)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dwg0Vfv_ys

wish granted

I'm doing this test by myself.

Meta Knight; 0:00 - 0:21
Falco; 0:22 - 0:47
Snake; 0:48 - 2:29

Let me know if im doing anything wrong!

I followed the directions given by the OP for the vid
. In the Snake segment i decayed the Dthrow 7 times. Suicide Snake then i build damage to 50% on Snake, then start the CG to 90%.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
No, this is just me alone. I dont have anyone else to test escape with unfortunately.

But when i look at..the release frames i do get a pretty good idea of when it starts to be escapable. But yea, this is just me by myself unfortunately. I'll make a note of that

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
That is one sexy scenario xD

Everyone will have to use Marth/G&W/ROB to handle Pikachu if their main can't. I sense a sudden rise of Marth users.
Because there are SO many Pikachus out there to force people to play a different character, lolol.

This doesn't make Pika broken by any stretch of the imagination. We still need to get the grab, and on top of that, a lot of these don't work until a certain percentage or when the throw is staled by a certain amount.

Don't get me wrong, this CG stuff is awesome, but it's not.... as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be. It just makes some matchups easier and more of a pain for the other player.

The MK one is pretty sweet, though.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
this is pretty cool...this on top of normal CG's will help with mindgames, and adding to the options that pika has as an already versatile character

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Okay, that makes it much clearer. How exactly do you get MK right to 10% again? FThrow first right?
I didnt fthrow, i just jab'ed him to 10%

I tried doing the CG on Meta over Wifi with another buddy of mine...didnt work. He kept air doding the grab after the throw release/stun finished...I think theres like a 1-3 frame of time when meta isnt stunned after the throw where he can escape. I'm not sure. Really there needs to be a vid of two people doing this. Mine alone just wont hold a candle. It'll scare people into thinking about it yea, but you really need two people doing this.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Look at the video it seems like they can jump out and it's unrealistic that this is just SUDDENLY found after a year of brawl and many straining to improve the metaknight matchup.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
The video isnt good, which is why I didnt post it (sorry video creater). This was tested in debug mode, so unless you have some better info dont come in here just saying "this doesnt work". At least back up your claims (not directed at just you, but everyone who's been complaining about this)/

Zylar

Smash Ace
This has all been explained, especially in the OP.

The video was done with one person, by himself.
People don't usually/naturally think to look for 20% to 100% 7 times staled buffered CGs. <-Just an example
This was found by someone in Japan. We don't know when he found it, but it could of been 6 months ago.

Edit: One minute late >.<

ADHD

Smash Hero
This has all been explained, especially in the OP.

The video was done with one person, by himself.
People don't usually/naturally think to look for 20% to 100% 7 times staled buffered CGs. <-Just an example
This was found by someone in Japan. We don't know when he found it, but it could of been 6 months ago.

Edit: One minute late >.<
Sure, because we know some japanese dude that found this exists. Seems like a niko_k prank to me.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Calm Down ADHD, anther already did this in a tourney match on Bowyer. Now that I think about it I should probably post that video, haha.

Honestly, Michael Hey is well respected in Cali and a ranked IC/DDD player in nor cal. And this was already tested frame by frame in debug mode. Really, what are you trying to debate here?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Well if they had said that, then why did they say it was some japanese guy and not a CA guy? It seemed fishy.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Okay, what about the word of the pikas testing this?
There's The Truth, Stealth Raptor, K Prime, ESAM, FINO (Even though he's an Olimar, ^^), Ussi, and maybe more who have been testing this.

Also, some have already been 100% confirmed, others are confirmed but there is away to get out, such as Snake.

Edit: Because Micheal Hey is just the person who knows japanese and told The Truth about this information.

And CURSES! Yet again, too late -.-

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Well if they had said that, then why did they say it was some japanese guy and not a CA guy? It seemed fishy.
Sorry my fault I wasnt clear, Im spending some time updating the OP so it looks nice. I guess I just thought since I knew Michael Hey everyone else must, lol.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
So far, this works. Prime did say that the MK can escape the grab if they SDI almost every single frame, but it works in all other instances. Every time I have tried it, it has worked.

Top Bottom