• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fthrow/Dthrow Chaingrab Thread

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah...same here. I mean...hell, we can also F-throw at the %s that the first 3 regrabs would be...but my brother was mashing jump in the vid and he couldn't get out.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Sheik can only escape the first 3 regrabs. You don't need any di to escape it, just buffer two jumps.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Because it's good to say how people get there...and no he isn't top tier yet, not officially :p

Zylar

Smash Ace
So is Pikachu top tier yet?
THE SBR Tier List v.2 said:
SS Tier
Meta Knight 15.00

S Tier
Snake 13.91

A Tier
Falco 13.03
King Dedede 12.94
Mr. Game & Watch 12.50
Marth 12.09
Diddy Kong 11.94

B Tier
Wario 11.47
R.O.B. 11.38
Lucario 10.94
Olimar 10.94

C Tier
Pikachu 10.34
Kirby 10.16
Donkey Kong 10.06
Ice Climbers 9.59
Hmmm, I know CGs do not make a char top tier, but we now do have that option for for the top three chars and maybe Wario.
That's still a lot of chars to go through first. :/

Pika very well may escape C tier and rise to B tier. I dunno about A tier though. >.< To many tiers

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Can somebody else besides Bear, Prime, Kaylo, and I (Sorry if i missed anybody) actually say "Hey this is confirmed" it would really help if we didn't have to do all of it...

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
k but wait, i'm wondering if a double-buffered jump allows chars like MK, falco, and snake to get out.

that's the impression i got from the thread so far.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
k but wait, i'm wondering if a double-buffered jump allows chars like MK, falco, and snake to get out.

that's the impression i got from the thread so far.
all spacies have 0 frames to do anything. Snake can use a nade, and MK so far only before 10% after 13%

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Wow this is cool
A chaingrab that does massive damage to who are considered the top 4 characters in the game (at least according to the tier list they are)
I hope this brings Pikachu up (even though I dont main him) He was the first character I used in brawl so secretly, Im still rooting for him deep down :)

nothing.

Smash Rookie
i dont know if this would help, but here is what i got from talking to shawa, who plays pika in japan.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
against sheik, you can't start the chaingrab from 0% like falco.
same with captain falcon.

ike starts at 8~27% and the number of times you get to grab changes by %.
bowser is 9~17%.
link and dk can't start form 0% also.

pikachu's downthrow is really weird.
it works on a random % at random times against most character.

against pika, you can regrab when they're at 5%, 7%, 10% 14%. (non-stale)
every other percent, you can get out by footstool jump.

wario and diddy is the same and only at certain % you can regrab them.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

he also said that he gave up on chaingrabbing those characters that are too specific.
you usually don't get the chance to grab them at a certain % with a certain staleness.
and also because memorizing all the % is just too much.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I see what you mean lol
But still, the characters presented in the video were good
BTW ESAM you said you wanted some other people to say its confirmed so I did some testing with my brother and he couldnt get out until the percentages showed in the video so I think it works.
But the thing is I only used the double jump buffer method (and some DI as in I think he was just QCDI Up and then holding it while mashing x and y at the same time lol)

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The D3 cg on the op is escapable with footstool. This one, I'm pretty sure, is unavoidable.

King Dedede from 0%
fthrow x2 > pummel x1 > dthrow x3 > pummel x1 > dthrow x3 > upsmash = 86%

You can add some pummels before the last dthrow for a little extra damage.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The D3 cg on the op is escapable with footstool. This one, I'm pretty sure, is unavoidable.

King Dedede
fthrow x2 > pummel x1 > dthrow x3 > pummel x1 > dthrow x3 > upsmash = 86%

You can add some pummels before the last dthrow for a little extra damage.
I got a DDD to 90% in the video with my method of

fthrw x2 > Dthrow x3 > Fthrow x1 > dthrow x3 > upsmash = 90%

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
what does pummeling do that a regular throw doesn't? does it reset something or just mess them up (supposedly) for DI and button mashing?Or can you not break free in any way when being pummeled? I'm just trying to see how its important (other than, because it works)

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Pummeling refreshes your down throw. It should be the same with the forward throw too, but I've been hearing otherwise.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
but wait, in terms of staling/refreshing moves i thought it was a 10-move list, so does the pummeling assume you have a fresh d-throw to begin with (for k-prime's D3 chain anyway) and that it will only be dthrow on the stale moves list?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
No the pummel just makes it so that the Dthrow is one spot higher than if you were just using Dthrows by itself. Then your Dthrow has a certain staleness at a certain percent allowing the CG to work. Also, I believe the stale move list has 9 slots.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The pummel is there to add 2% so the cg works.

These cgs work from 0%

Falco, Sheik, Captain Falcon
Fthrow x2 > Dthrow x alot = 100%+

Wolf
Dthrow x3 > pummel/Fthrow > Dthrow x alot = 115%+

ESAM: Just with your method. Mine cannot be escaped unless they can break out during the first pummel.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
so after 2 fthrows (fresh) + 1 pummel, that's 21% I think, so I realize why that works, but the other one later on in the chain, is that just because D3 is weird for this CG? But normally when you're cg'ing, is it a good idea to pummel for the small extra damage, or would that be bad/worse since it's giving them a chance to get out?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
IDK. DDD is really weird when cg. I guess the extra pummel in between the 3 down throws refreshes the down throw enough to not let DDD foot stool out.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Oh so its just to get them at a certain percent ok
And Pikas pummel is pretty fast but if theyre fast, I think they can probably breakout because of how low their percent is. But dont take me up on this. Im not really sure.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Diddy can escape after the first dthrow using the double jump buffer footstool. But it can still work seeing as some people have a hard time doing it.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Okay, you say after the first down throw, but the OP doesn't state anything regarding diddy.
Obviously you found something (maybe a very small thing) but how many grabs can you get on him after the first dthrow, and at what percent?

/babbling

Top Bottom