• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamelot December Monthly: Holiday Brawl (12/6/08) San Antonio, TX(MK IS BANNED)

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Espy: i'm trying to dedicate ALL the TV's for brawl as long as possible, Which is right now atm at 1 1/2 hours. But That issue is going to be depending on how may Wii's i have there as well.

Cliff Has 8 or 9 TV's. I won't be @ the gamefest 2nite unless i have a ride there. If i do make it however, there will be STHD and SC4 2nite :)

but yea, i'm trying to make it to where we can run Smash, be it being brawl or melee, quickly and efficently as possible....
Because we haven't had Melee up there for a long time I doubt it will have people but I don't mind being surprised.

I definitely want some SC4 action tonight, I finally got to play with Ben recently and leveled up my astaroth a bit.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Castle Siege I don't understand, but the PS1 is always a neutral here in Texas and Lylat is considered neutral in many places too.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Castle Siege I don't understand, but the PS1 is always a neutral here in Texas and Lylat is considered neutral in many places too.
Siege shouldn't be one, PS1 is a maybe for me cause the ledge is a little f*cked this time around, and Lylat just messes with people by tilting the ship so you cant get the ledge. :(

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Quincy, we're doing the California strike system again, so if you are so concerned you can just say no to them.

Problem solved. This is the EXACT same ruleset from the last tournament and you didn't have an issue with it then so no johns.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I love how Castle Siege is both a Neutral and a Counterpick Stage on the list. I got a good chuckle out of it.
Castle Siege is yucky for me, but I'd still play on it.

But PictoChat and Distant Planet need to die in fire.

I'm tempted to counterpick Green Hill Zone, but then Dedede/Falco kills my reasoning.
**** the birds.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Quincy, we're doing the California strike system again, so if you are so concerned you can just say no to them.

Problem solved. This is the EXACT same ruleset from the last tournament and you didn't have an issue with it then so no johns.
Well the last time I was confused about that. But now I'm "OK" with it for now. I know that I can chose not to use it so that's a plus.

But either way it's all cool this time around. :)

Nike.

Smash Hero
At the past few Gamelot tournies Ive been to I remember not enough consoles being brought and empty tv's not being used.

Oh, Im bringing a tv/cube/melee. The guys whos wii I borrowed were the ones who snuck into my house. Ive brawled 3-4 times in the past 5 weeks D:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'll try to get Hylian to bring his Wii. Assuming you guys let him, he can stick Homebrew on it for the extended replays. And I'm in the same boat with respect to Brawl, Nike XD

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
OK, almost done with the times....as an update, but my concern is the issues of the Wii's that needs to be brought. TV's added are a plus. YAY!!!!

Anywho, i have been looking into the stages and everything else for the matter. so don't worry, i'm just glad that people are talking about it. This...in turn gives me a reason to fiddle with the stages some, i personally had some issues w/ a few stages, but if no one complained about them or at least brought them to my attention, i wasn't going to do anything with them. I'm going to analize ALL that stages once again, and IF i make any changes to them...they'll be minor, so they won't affect the tournament too much. Anywho,

Please understand that i want you All to be there early, and if you're bringing a system...please be prompt on setting up the equipment, i'm going to be in an "i don't give a **** about you and could care less about your problems" mode that day. My concern will be about the public, not just you as an individual. If you're going to be late, you BETTER call me. I plan on starting promptly @ 1pm. If you're late, then i'll move your match to the end of the round. BUT, if you're still not there, then you're going to take a loss. Btw, you have no choice in the matter. Again, this will go back to that mode i was explaining earlier. I've already guaranteed u a spot in the bracket, moved ur match to be the last match, and delayed everyone else because you can't be efficient in your timing. That's not fair to everyone else.

Also, i'm going to ask cliff some general info for this saturday's tournament in which i will post here sometime today.

Thanks

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Dun worry chickenwing, it's all gon b k.

I always get there early, and I'll take my Wii.

I'll also do what Hylian would do, and bring a Wii with extended replays.

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
Suspect: lol, i will try to be there today, i don't have a car, so i would need to find some wheels that take me there AND take me home....good sir So we'll have to see...

Espy: you know i have no doubt in you good sir. *smiles* But cramming 4 tournaments on 3 TV's sux....lol Anyway...i'll have the updated rules in about an hr our so....

Rules are updated...

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Hmm, been a while since I posted. As for attending this month's tourney, it's 50/50. Unsure if I'm free this Saturday.

As for past experiences to get over if I attend, my Diddy'll have to find a way around Snake motars and Squirtle's aerials being faster than my Diddy's.
~Geoberos

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I am no long attending this tournament unless the rules are changed. I refuse to go to any tournament that has Rainbow Cruise banned. Also, the 3 chaingrabs thing is absurd. Sorry.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I read the 2nd post of this thread. And then I just read what Hylian said. Twas a lol moment...

Everything but Pictochat and maybe Luigis Mansions (although I like that stage) should still be counterpickable. Srsly, man?

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
*reads post* my bad...i'm at wrk..and have to be real quick on the comps..and such...

i meant 5 CHAINGRABS....Also Rainbow cruise has always been the iffy stage for me...

Here's the thing Hylian: The other stages, fine, i warrant those for those stages alone, the few i was iffy about was

Green Greens
Green Hill
Luigi's Mansion
Rainbow Cruise

Those were the 4 i was iffy about...Don't take it personally, and it's nothing against you, Rainbow cruise is ALWAYS an option for me to change. Along with the other 3, but it isn't like it CAN'T be in the ruleset.

Again, i'm at work and i had to be real quick on the computer, otherwise i would've checked everything...my bad...

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Swap out Distant Planet and the Green Hill Zone for Rainbow and Japes and you got the standard stage set pretty much... why is GHZ even playable btw? All it is is just a ******** fight for the checkpoint, which then kills everything :\

Rainbow is pretty much legal everywhere, Green Greens is your discretion, as is Luigi's. Distant Planet has some pretty horrible stage hazards (the waterfall and the monster thingy + items).

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
Fixed.....

Distant planet is....well....a little off in my eyes. anywho, eveything is updated, i just had a clearing with Kyle so everythings ok....

Anywho, i'm going back to work and then...going to bed....i got too much to do in too little time....

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
*reads post* my bad...i'm at wrk..and have to be real quick on the comps..and such...

i meant 5 CHAINGRABS....Also Rainbow cruise has always been the iffy stage for me...

Here's the thing Hylian: The other stages, fine, i warrant those for those stages alone, the few i was iffy about was

Green Greens
Green Hill
Luigi's Mansion
Rainbow Cruise

Those were the 4 i was iffy about...Don't take it personally, and it's nothing against you, Rainbow cruise is ALWAYS an option for me to change. Along with the other 3, but it isn't like it CAN'T be in the ruleset.

Again, i'm at work and i had to be real quick on the computer, otherwise i would've checked everything...my bad...
How anyone could think RC isn't a viable tournament stage is beyond me. Even Umbreons super conservative ruleset had RC legal and CG's legal(though DDD infinite banned)

When you say 5 CG's do you mean all CGs? So DDD can't CG more then 5 times to anyone? Or Falco? Or Ice Climbers?

That's upsetting. I can understand not wanting infinites(though I don't agree with it at all) but I don't think there has ever been a single tournament in the History of smash to ban chaingrabbing and not be called a scrub tournament. Chaingrabbing is a part of this game like it or not. If I can't convince TO's of this by word(again, no TO in the history of smash has banned CGing) then I will boycott as I am extremly against this line of thinking.

If you want to ban infinites I suggest just banning DDD's infinite on the 5 characters completly and limiting the IC's alt grabs to 5 like hobo. But chaingrabbing in general? That's absurd and I don't really want to be around for the first tourament that incorperates this, even though I won't be playing characters who can CG.

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
That's the difference between you and me Hylian.

I come from communities that warrants a ban when it creates a negative impact on the community. (not to say that chain grabbing does to this community), be it being that it's gamebreaking, glitching, or whatever the case may be, that's my background. Now you don't like the fact that i got some balls to try somethings out. But realize this....I quit smash long ago. I know what it's like to CG and to be CG'ed. Yes, i may not know ALL of the Rules of Brawl, but i'm always asking questions about this game. If YOU have a real problem with my ruleset..then go to my source of info, her name is DugFinn.

My point is this, i try to run things to be fair on BOTH sides, because in the end. True skill comes out of a competition. I come from Halo, calibur, tekken, AND madden. All communities @ some point banned something. weather the community agreed to it or not, it wasn't our problem. We had to step up, be a man, and move on.

btw, i like to be the 1st in history for everything...:)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure 5 grabs is plenty for D3 to get across FD, or for Falco to do his chainspike, no? It's not really going to change all that much, it'll just limit the infinites severely.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
No disrespect but if you change ANYTHING just because hylian complains about it, that will be down right ignorant.

The both of you shouldn't even be arguing.

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
I'm not arguing suspect...

He's just acting like a child because of the ruleset got changed. However, i did ask for a 2nd opinion from KM and he understood why some of those stages were banned. He, in turn gave me reasons why other stages shouldn't of been banned. So, we compromised. Thats why only a few stages were banned and the neutral stages were returned to normal.

He gave me a better understanding of the California Striking System, in which why some of those stages were put back. However, my main focus was the times of the tournaments. My whole point on what i was doing was dedicatiting as much TV's to Smash as i could before the other tournaments started. since Smash usually get's the larger turnout.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Okay WOAH WOAH

Take out the chaingrabbing rules I will have NONE of that at any tournament of mine. The ONLY thing that is banned related to grabs that I would consider is DDD's standing grab. No one can really complain about that one since you can still cg those 5 characters normally anyways.

I just want everyone to know that all in all this is still my Brawl tournament.

I don't need all this little nitpicking RIGHT BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
The rule changes are stupid.

No Pictochat or Pirateship? Well, that could be a rational decision if you don't want stages with hazards on them...but wait, Brinstar, Green Hill, Green Greens, Distant Planet, NORFAIR, and the debatably Frigate ALL have hazards...

No Jungle Japes? Hmmm, maybe you don't want the camping/water effects....oh, but wait, Delfino is 50% water, and Green Greens, Corneria and Luigi's Mansion are GREAT for camping.

Chain grabs limited to 5? Oookay...most charracters who can chain grab can't get more than 5 in anyways. Those that can get chained more than 5 are all the heavy characters, so congrats on giving all the heavyweights a nice buff (and characters like Snake and D3 do not need your help, they're good enough as is).

You admit to having quit this game long ago, but when Hylian (who happens to be one of the most knowledgeable person in the entire US on brawl) tells you that no one has ever limited chain grabs and no one should, you brush him off as immature?

Assuming you really want to remove the things that have negative impact on the community...you missed alot. Dtilt infinites, perhaps? And extra D3 down throw or two have nothing on g&w/MK/rob dtilting you against a wall over and over again until they feel like finishing you off. What about jab locks? I don't see how its fair that I can't do two more downthrows with falco when Espy can counterpick green greens and dthrow -> jab lock infinite me. What about grab release infinites? Lucas players are definately negatively affected by Marths.
I hope you're getting my point.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That's the difference between you and me Hylian.

I come from communities that warrants a ban when it creates a negative impact on the community. (not to say that chain grabbing does to this community), be it being that it's gamebreaking, glitching, or whatever the case may be, that's my background.
I don't see what any of that has to do with the smash scene. Using philosophy from other communites is a horrible idea. I'm not going to join the GG community and suddenly start imposing my ideas from smash on them. I'm going to learn from them, because they know their game and I do not.

Now you don't like the fact that i got some balls to try somethings out.
I could care less about your balls honestly. If banning something makes you feel important then I feel sorry for you.
But realize this....I quit smash long ago. I know what it's like to CG and to be CG'ed. Yes, i may not know ALL of the Rules of Brawl, but i'm always asking questions about this game. If YOU have a real problem with my ruleset..then go to my source of info, her name is DugFinn.
Ok, you quit smash. That just makes your opinion less credible on subjects like these so I could see why you would defer to someone else. Dugfinn is an amazing tournament host and knows how to get things done. Her ideals on how smash works however do not come from experience and are heavily influenced by Xyro77. Even they don't have CGing banned(and they have like..everything else limited lol). You have to keep in mind that Xyro77(while being an amazing tournament host and person) is an extreme minority in the smash scene. The entire smash scene out of Houtson texas(by this I mean To's, respected players and contributers to the community) disagree with many of Xyro's views. His tournament rules are only found in houston texas and are not the norm for the USA in any fasion. They are looked down upon by players outside of houston texas for the most part. I am also more involved with the smash scene more then either of these people. I have more experience in reguards to gameplay and I talk with the brightest minds of smash on a daily basis. Usually I know what I'm talking about and I have the credientials to back that up. I think Xyro and Dugfinn are both great people and amazing tournament hosts and a lot of people could learn from them. I disagree with there rules but I have already talked with them on the matter and we have generally come to a comprimise. However if you ask credible people outside texas's opinions you might be shocked.

My point is this, i try to run things to be fair on BOTH sides, because in the end. True skill comes out of a competition. I come from Halo, calibur, tekken, AND madden. All communities @ some point banned something. weather the community agreed to it or not, it wasn't our problem. We had to step up, be a man, and move on.
Again, other communites are not involved in smash and this game works differently. What two sides are you trying to be fair to exactly? Are you not hosting this for the smash community? If I'm not mistaken over 90% of the players there are generally the smash community. I don't have a problem with people testing things, I rather have a problem with the mindset people go about it with. I will always try to keep texas competitve and up to the standards of the rest of the USA when it comes to smash. I don't want this state to fall behind. I don't want players here to go OOS and be slaughtered by things they don't have experience against. I don't want the general mindset of texans to be looked down upon by the rest of the country. Call me selfish, but this is why I am talking with you. I care about my community and even small things like this that really are not that big of a deal can lead to worse.

btw, i like to be the 1st in history for everything...:)
Then might I suggest other things? Like...if you lose you have to buy the person who beat you a soda or something.

If you want to PM reguarding my ideals or any input I have given then feel free. I am open to discussion and I'm not at all against you I'm just trying to shape up the texas smash scene.

If you are going to keep the rules the same reguardless of what I say then that is fine. I won't think less of you for it. I'm not even going to be playing a character that is effected by this probably. I do hope you will be insightful with your reasonings however.

-Hylian

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
He can't steal the Soda Match thing, Espy and I are starting that tradition! 3LM ftw!

Also, Sethlon arguing on this, hm? Guess the secret's not so secret anymore, Jordan ;)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Also, Sethlon arguing on this, hm? Guess the secret's not so secret anymore, Jordan ;)
Lol, I posted on the first page saying I would probly come to this >.>

read seth....
So you're always asking questions about brawl, but you're refusing to even have a discussion about rules with two high level players? If you honestly agree with DugFinn, tell us why. Why have Green Greens and not Pictochat? Why limit chaingrabs (most of which are already limited) and not jab/laser infinites?

somebody sobe match me. random char. 2/3 :)
You're on :)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, but Hylian's been mindgaming me all this time, telling me you were going to the Melee tourney in Dallas. Also wthell, HOBO is so much closer to you XD Go away, you're just going to beat me again :(

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Of all people sethlon accepts it >_> lol

ok that's fine oh and we will have a rematch of kirby vs falco, not scared of you anymore...no more pressure *cry's like girl*

Top Bottom