• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GamePad VA Presents: Rainbow Crews - June 19, 2010 (an MD/VA Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
Tbh, I have no idea when this b1tching about venue fees started, pretty much every tourney in 09 in MD/VA had $10 venue fees. People still went. Now that you are given a few $5-7 venue fee tourneys, you expect all tourneys to be like that. I don't really know what to say =/ Its really greedy IMO, it's like you're given something good (let's remember GamePad did have a $7 venue fee for their last tourney) and that's all you want.
what a legit poyo post

My main point (from running C3) has always been that people like lil B selectively go into threads and ruin attendance by complaining their brains out, but will then hypocritically go to venues with a $10 venue fee anyway (UGZ is a good example, and Deez got half the venue fee!). They have no problem paying there, but will poo poo in other peoples threads and ruin them. Players bowl was in fricking PITTSBURGH, and a bunch of md/va drove up there, and I didn't hear any complaining about that. C3, now gamepad, and im sure many others have felt the wrath.

lil B notice how i never went in your thread, and openly exclaimed how im not coming because the place smells like burgers and french fries.

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
Tbh, the Smash community (from what I'm seeing in MD/VA anyway) have the mindset of a bunch of spoiled kids. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular and I'm not trying to say anything bad about anyone, I'm just saying my honest opinions. If you can host a tourney with a $5 venue, then g****, not everyone can. Tbh, I have no idea when this b1tching about venue fees started, pretty much every tourney in 09 in MD/VA had $10 venue fees. People still went. Now that you are given a few $5-7 venue fee tourneys, you expect all tourneys to be like that. I don't really know what to say =/ Its really greedy IMO, it's like you're given something good (let's remember GamePad did have a $7 venue fee for their last tourney) and that's all you want. And you know what, if you're not going (which I'm probably not unfortunately, but I do WANT to) just say you're not going, don't go ape**** and attack the TOs/venue for the venue fee that was pretty much standard until a few months ago.

I'm going to straight up say this now, there are people in the community I like, but because of there ALWAYS being stupid ****/drama going on, whether it be THIS or THAT I don't like the community as a community, it looks really bad. Which is one of the reasons I seldom post on the boards unless its for MMs.
I just really want to hug you right now Poyo.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
This thread is horrible. And I never paid venue fee at c3 cause the manager was an idiot and didn't realize people who already paid it would give me there singles spot while I gave them 10 dollars, sova.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Horrible thread? Maybe. I'll be going anyways... and if I don't it's not because of the venue fee :p

Robfox

Smash Lord
idk Tantalus depends on what I am doing after school ends id like to come down to MD/VA cause I cant get in touch wit Xzax, Chibo, Vex, Smurf or any of the other PA pros >.> so maybe again it depends.

And really is this arguement over the venue fee necessary? Im not trying to strengthin the arguement just curious because I have seen way worse venue fees.

o_Pulse_o

Smash Apprentice
If I can pay the venue fee, then everyone else should. I think it's stupid that people who have JOBS are whining about 3 dollars. If your not coming then GTFO this thread.

ESOJOSE

Smash Ace
Look at it this way, Mr. Profit

20 people @ $10 = 200 bucks for the store

30 people @ $7 = 210 bucks for the store + greater word of mouth

You tell me which is more profitable
hhmmmm... how does $3 = 10 more people???? How many people are gonna not show up b/c of $3?????

last time i went i was impressed with the layout of the event and im def going to this one, gamepad can have the additional $3 more dollars from me.

oh also...

21 people @ $10 = 210 bucks for the store

30 people @ $7 = 210 bucks for the store

21 people is an easier goal than 30 people..........

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
NOT MORE MONKEYS

I'll probably be here anyways

I'm just starting trouble because I can, get @ me, hype this event, I still love gamepad

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Anyone know if the Wiis will have 3+ min replay hacks this time? Not having any videos from the last one was pretty lame...

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I had mine last time Bengals but it didn't get setup.

I would like to set mine up this time. Bolts was setup though, which had it. No one saved the replays.

Also, i'll only be able to afford singles at this, heh. Unless I get a good offer.

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Look at it this way, Mr. Profit

20 people @ $10 = 200 bucks for the store

30 people @ $7 = 210 bucks for the store + greater word of mouth

You tell me which is more profitable
Hmm how about 21 people show and the venue makes 210 anyway? 21... 30... hmm.. @.@

O_________O
Tant, you've changed..
When SBR goes to your head, this is what you get.

Tbh, the Smash community (from what I'm seeing in MD/VA anyway) have the mindset of a bunch of spoiled kids. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular and I'm not trying to say anything bad about anyone, I'm just saying my honest opinions. If you can host a tourney with a $5 venue, then g****, not everyone can. Tbh, I have no idea when this b1tching about venue fees started, pretty much every tourney in 09 in MD/VA had $10 venue fees. People still went. Now that you are given a few $5-7 venue fee tourneys, you expect all tourneys to be like that. I don't really know what to say =/ Its really greedy IMO, it's like you're given something good (let's remember GamePad did have a $7 venue fee for their last tourney) and that's all you want. And you know what, if you're not going (which I'm probably not unfortunately, but I do WANT to) just say you're not going, don't go ape**** and attack the TOs/venue for the venue fee that was pretty much standard until a few months ago.

I'm going to straight up say this now, there are people in the community I like, but because of there ALWAYS being stupid ****/drama going on, whether it be THIS or THAT I don't like the community as a community, it looks really bad. Which is one of the reasons I seldom post on the boards unless its for MMs.
Good **** Poyo. Great Post.

If I can pay the venue fee, then everyone else should. I think it's stupid that people who have JOBS are whining about 3 dollars. If your not coming then GTFO this thread.
10 This.

NOT MORE MONKEYS

I'm just starting trouble because I can, get @ me, hype this event, I still love gamepad
Tant your a fuking idiot. :/

-------

Didn't quote Jose's post because he's on the same page as me. Thanks you Jose for having common sense.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
what a legit poyo post

My main point (from running C3) has always been that people like lil B selectively go into threads and ruin attendance by complaining their brains out, but will then hypocritically go to venues with a $10 venue fee anyway (UGZ is a good example, and Deez got half the venue fee!). They have no problem paying there, but will poo poo in other peoples threads and ruin them. Players bowl was in fricking PITTSBURGH, and a bunch of md/va drove up there, and I didn't hear any complaining about that. C3, now gamepad, and im sure many others have felt the wrath.

lil B notice how i never went in your thread, and openly exclaimed how im not coming because the place smells like burgers and french fries.
Well I never payed $10 at a UGZ tourney for venue fee

secondly you told me to stop complaining (I didn't), but I still went out and started hosting my own tourneys instead. And I actually make a lot of changes and have a cheaper venue fee, and more attendance. I just complain because I am siting here and have nothing better to do. My complaining actually brings attention to this thread. If me or tant didn't ***** about venue fee this would still be on like page 3 of the tourney listing.

Also a lot of people thought the Five Guys venue was too small so I changed venues. If you want to say it smells go ahead and I will take that into consideration and look for something better.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Because you all don't quite get it

Hey everybody,

It's me, Scott, TheTantalus. I wanted you all to know something. I'm tired of being fake and playing these internet games with people. I want you all to know exactly how I think, and you're gonna get it good.

Did you guys notice something at MLG? Many of the Atl North were missing or got destroyed. The top 25 was littered with Florida, Texas, Midwest, and West Coast players, and the fewest of Atl North. We're not really that far from Ohio, so that's not a good excuse.

Have you guys been paying attention to the God Kais and the midwest lately? Do you guys have any idea whats going on there? How people like Arty are beating Dojo and the God Kais is placing well? I'm gonna attribute it right at the center of everything- the tournament organizers. Bolt has quoted AlphaZealot before, so I know even you have respect for someone of his stature, if you won't take it from me, take it from that man. He'll be back soon, and he's going to be highly critical if you all don't step up your Tournament Organizing.

So here is what Ohio has been doing for at least the past year:

Pools for Singles of EVERY tournament, regardless of attendance and doubles pools when possible
$5 venue fee AT MOST, usually $3 venue fee except for championship/large scale events, with venue fee waived for people bringing setups
Payouts to the top 6 players at EVERY EVENT that has $10 entry, based on a 48/22/14/8/4/4 system and 60/30/10 for doubles.

Here is a perfect example of one coming up.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274987

I'm positive this event will have > 50 people. Why? Because they've taken time to look out for the players and not their pockets. I guarantee you ithrowthings is making money from that event, because he's a smart guy.

I'm no longer OK with status quo. Status quo is why our region is in a pitfall of despair. People are always talking about Atlantic North, how the results are so varied. Let me list you the winners we've had in MD/VA in the past 18 months:

ChuDat
NEO
Junebug
Korn
Candy
Logic
Boss
Omni
Meep
Coney ($5 small event)
G-regulate
Azen
Chillindude829

And others have made top 3, such as ESOJ, Takeover, etc. You realize this isn't common in other regions right? There isn't consistency because we ARE BAD AT THE GAME. Are we really ok with this?

You see, this all goes back to how you run events. If you guys are going to say "well this is how we've always done it" or "we deserve to make money" or "we need to profit", I'd challenge you to look over your plan for your event and try again. Ohio came to Pound and did better than us. This is why. They've done tournaments better than us. You see doing tournaments is just like playing in them, there are people who do them better than others.

If I have to do it with SOVAman, EE, B0NK, VanillaWaffle, and myself, so be it.

What you guys also don't realize is that SOVAman and I aren't the only ones complaining about these things. I could name 20 people right off the bat who I've talked to in private who agree with this and it has hindered them from attending.

I really love Gamepad. I love the owner. I love your work there. I like MattyP and his efforts. You guys are really great. But I hold you to higher expectations than other venues because I feel like you guys are a class act and can live up to that. However, I love the community more than gamepad, and will stand up for it. You guys saw what happened when my crew started complaining about C3 right? They eventually couldn't hold brawl tournaments anymore because of lack of attendance. This is where the $10 venue fee will lead you. Look beyond the single day profits and work on growing your attendance through lower fees. If you get 70 people to show up for a $5 venue fee, its the same equivalent as 35 people with $10. I'll bet if you had a $5 venue fee I could generate enough support to get 60 people there (I'm not good enough yet to promise 70, sorry)

As for Bolt, you're just simply wrong and mad. This has 0 to do with BBR, assuming such is just as childish as what you're saying I'm doing is. I'm in this for the community, not you, not Game Haven, not anyone. You're just mad I said Game Haven is worse than Gamepad (it is, btw, regardless, that's not the point here) so get over it. For me to travel 2 hours and 15 minutes to your venue isn't worth the $10 I give to sage. I have more space room, and regular TVs in my house that I could charge everyone $3 for. Plus livestream. In fact, I will be doing an event there in July. It should be pretty rockin. Of course, you wont' attend, because you're not in it for the community, your only travel included 2 or 3 C3s and a chudat biweekly. You NEVER support the truly great locals in the DC metro area which is not a surprise to me. If you did, you could meet a ton of new places and talk to them about your events and hype up your own stuff. But you don't see it that way and you don't want to put that effort up. Don't you see the advantages in this?

Hey everybody, I just wanted you to know, I love you guys. I want to see us be better and doing well. I want to see the community grow and not shrink. But what you all are doing, is pounding it into dirt. The status quo is no longer acceptable. Tantalus out.

past tense

Smash Rookie
you know who really and truly cares about the regions progress as a whole?
the people just listed
me and 80% of tourney goers who are never going to win a tournament in their careers probably don't care about reppin atl north on a national level
if the group you just mentioned really want to win on those levels, you are more than welcome to play with one another
i fail to see how 3$ on a venue fee (at a food court and not in a basement) is enough to threaten abandonment and drama
to everyone in this thread:
you're better than this

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Hey everybody,

It's me, Scott, TheTantalus. I wanted you all to know something. I'm tired of being fake and playing these internet games with people. I want you all to know exactly how I think, and you're gonna get it good.

Did you guys notice something at MLG? Many of the Atl North were missing or got destroyed. The top 25 was littered with Florida, Texas, Midwest, and West Coast players, and the fewest of Atl North. We're not really that far from Ohio, so that's not a good excuse.

Have you guys been paying attention to the God Kais and the midwest lately? Do you guys have any idea whats going on there? How people like Arty are beating Dojo and the God Kais is placing well? I'm gonna attribute it right at the center of everything- the tournament organizers. Bolt has quoted AlphaZealot before, so I know even you have respect for someone of his stature, if you won't take it from me, take it from that man. He'll be back soon, and he's going to be highly critical if you all don't step up your Tournament Organizing.

Pools for Singles of EVERY tournament, regardless of attendance and doubles pools when possible
$5 venue fee AT MOST, usually $3 venue fee except for championship/large scale events, with venue fee waived for people bringing setups
Payouts to the top 6 players at EVERY EVENT that has $10 entry, based on a 48/22/14/8/4/4 system and 60/30/10 for doubles.

I'm positive this event will have > 50 people. Why? Because they've taken time to look out for the players and not their pockets. I guarantee you ithrowthings is making money from that event, because he's a smart guy.

I'm no longer OK with status quo. Status quo is why our region is in a pitfall of despair. People are always talking about Atlantic North, how the results are so varied. Let me list you the winners we've had in MD/VA in the past 18 months:

ChuDat
NEO
Junebug
Korn
Candy
Logic
Boss
Omni
Meep
Coney ($5 small event)
G-regulate
Azen
Chillindude829

And others have made top 3, such as ESOJ, Takeover, etc. You realize this isn't common in other regions right? There isn't consistency because we ARE BAD AT THE GAME.

As for Bolt, you're just simply wrong and mad. This has 0 to do with BBR, assuming such is just as childish as what you're saying I'm doing is. I'm in this for the community, not you, not Game Haven, not anyone. You're just mad I said Game Haven is worse than Gamepad (it is, btw, regardless, that's not the point here) so get over it. For me to travel 2 hours and 15 minutes to your venue isn't worth the $10 I give to sage. I have more space room, and regular TVs in my house that I could charge everyone $3 for. Plus livestream. In fact, I will be doing an event there in July. It should be pretty rockin. Of course, you wont' attend, because you're not in it for the community, your only travel included 2 or 3 C3s and a chudat biweekly. You NEVER support the truly great locals in the DC metro area which is not a surprise to me. If you did, you could meet a ton of new places and talk to them about your events and hype up your own stuff. But you don't see it that way and you don't want to put that effort up. Don't you see the advantages in this?

Hey everybody, I just wanted you to know, I love you guys. I want to see us be better and doing well. I want to see the community grow and not shrink. But what you all are doing, is pounding it into dirt. The status quo is no longer acceptable. Tantalus out.
You liking Gamepad over Gamehaven is your opinion, one in which I can respect. I ran tournaments for both venues, so I hear where you are coming from. You prove many valid points Tant but lowering the venue fee because this community isn't deidcated enough to pay an extra $3 is still in my opinion, just plain stupid. The venue's need to profit from the space and capasity taken up from the buisness, I myself know how it works running events from LAN Centers because that is they are the only places I have run events. They do not profit very much from these events and rather is just a hastle for them in the long run, but they (we) choose to do it because we want more events for this community and fun venue's to do these events in. Not everyone can be satisfied with the way things work, this I understand.. but that does not mean complaining in threads until the venue and attendance gets ruined is the solution either. Your just breaking the community by doing so. ..and Yes Scott, I have been to 3 C3's, all Gamepad, all Gamehaven, a Chudat Bi-Weekly, and a Sassy Tournament. I don't travel much because I in fact do not have a job because of my record. I've done things that I regret in my past that keep me from being a Strong community member for smash, but I do infact try. Just because I don't hermit myself over a video game, doesn't mean I am not commited in improving this community. You either attend the Event or you don't. Don't try and hurt attendance because you feel the venue fee is just "too high".

I'd say more but I'm doing all this from my wii and quite frankly, this **** sucks.

Bolt Out.

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
Tant I recognize and respect your views and think that doing pools would be great and I will run it by the owner. But running frequent, low priced tournaments are a luxury Gamepad simply cannot afford. We have reserved the only available spot in the food court for the entire summer, which means unless we find a better place it'll be the only smash tourney for the rest of summer. Would we like to have a lower venue fee out of principle? Absolutely. Would we like to help the community and grow in attendance and passion. Of course. But as it stands now this is our one Summer event. We would like to be large, fun, and as we are a business, somewhat profitable. If you feel that MD/VA isn't winning big tournaments because of our extra $3, then I apologize on behalf of all that is and will ever be Gamepad.

Realize that as a business, by forfeiting $3 we lose 33% of our gross income before expenses are even accounted for. If you have other suggestions for strengthening the players of the community that do not include lowering the venue fee by a few dollars (which helps you slightly and injures us greatly) then I will be more than happy to take them into consideration for the betterment of the region which seems to be the defining purpose for your fight against venue fee tyranny.

If not, I thank you for the drama which has much hyped this thread sort of, and am looking forward to your suggestions for events.

Also: We're all bad at this game. But that's on us. The only reason saving $3 would help is so I could save up to buy personal lessons from Chu, which is the only way anyone can ever get better apparently. Wallstreet.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Also: We're all bad at this game. But that's on us. The only reason saving $3 would help is so I could save up to buy personal lessons from Chu, which is the only way anyone can ever get better apparently. Wallstreet.
I can't tell if this is a joke or not...Chu gives smash lessons? GODDAMMIT, if I only knew before >_<

MattyP

Smash Apprentice
what a legit poyo post

You still playing Brawl? Come to this!

We heart you, Tant. I'm going to figure out how to get an internet connection if you'd like to stream this time.

you know who really and truly cares about the regions progress as a whole?
the people just listed
me and 80% of tourney goers who are never going to win a tournament in their careers probably don't care about reppin atl north on a national level
if the group you just mentioned really want to win on those levels, you are more than welcome to play with one another
i fail to see how 3$ on a venue fee (at a food court and not in a basement) is enough to threaten abandonment and drama
to everyone in this thread:
you're better than this
Who you is? :p

If not, I thank you for the drama which has much hyped this thread sort of, and am looking forward to your suggestions for events.

Zing! That ain't right, man...

I can't tell if this is a joke or not...Chu gives smash lessons? GODDAMMIT, if I only knew before >_<
Best Expected.

People just don't understand
I hope you can still make it, Lil B. Even though you troll the crap out of me.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
Hey everybody,

ChuDat
NEO
Junebug
Korn
Candy
Logic
Boss
Omni
Meep
Coney ($5 small event)
G-regulate
Azen
Chillindude829

And others have made top 3, such as ESOJ, Takeover, etc. You realize this isn't common in other regions right? There isn't consistency because we ARE BAD AT THE GAME. Are we really ok with this?

You see, this all goes back to how you run events. If you guys are going to say "well this is how we've always done it" or "we deserve to make money" or "we need to profit", I'd challenge you to look over your plan for your event and try again. Ohio came to Pound and did better than us. This is why. They've done tournaments better than us. You see doing tournaments is just like playing in them, there are people who do them better than others.

If I have to do it with SOVAman, EE, B0NK, VanillaWaffle, and myself, so be it.

What you guys also don't realize is that SOVAman and I aren't the only ones complaining about these things. I could name 20 people right off the bat who I've talked to in private who agree with this and it has hindered them from attending.

I really love Gamepad. I love the owner. I love your work there. I like MattyP and his efforts. You guys are really great. But I hold you to higher expectations than other venues because I feel like you guys are a class act and can live up to that. However, I love the community more than gamepad, and will stand up for it. You guys saw what happened when my crew started complaining about C3 right? They eventually couldn't hold brawl tournaments anymore because of lack of attendance. This is where the $10 venue fee will lead you. Look beyond the single day profits and work on growing your attendance through lower fees. If you get 70 people to show up for a $5 venue fee, its the same equivalent as 35 people with $10. I'll bet if you had a $5 venue fee I could generate enough support to get 60 people there (I'm not good enough yet to promise 70, sorry)

i dissagree with this post 100%...too lazy to write why...just see what you wrote, think the oppisite, and thats probably what im thinking

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Tant I recognize and respect your views and think that doing pools would be great and I will run it by the owner. But running frequent, low priced tournaments are a luxury Gamepad simply cannot afford. We have reserved the only available spot in the food court for the entire summer, which means unless we find a better place it'll be the only smash tourney for the rest of summer. Would we like to have a lower venue fee out of principle? Absolutely. Would we like to help the community and grow in attendance and passion. Of course. But as it stands now this is our one Summer event. We would like to be large, fun, and as we are a business, somewhat profitable. If you feel that MD/VA isn't winning big tournaments because of our extra $3, then I apologize on behalf of all that is and will ever be Gamepad.

Realize that as a business, by forfeiting $3 we lose 33% of our gross income before expenses are even accounted for. If you have other suggestions for strengthening the players of the community that do not include lowering the venue fee by a few dollars (which helps you slightly and injures us greatly) then I will be more than happy to take them into consideration for the betterment of the region which seems to be the defining purpose for your fight against venue fee tyranny.

Only Lykeios can explain Buisness in its top Tier form. My hat is off to you old chap.

Chu Lessons ftw. lmfao :laugh: Wallstreet!

Actually lykeios its $5 that will make the biggest impact
*Facepalm*

Even more reason.

I do my best to come up with ridiculously good names for these things in order to draw the masses.
Best Names? This has already been established.

People just don't understand
I understand that you don't have a job and a $10 venue fee is just too much for chores to handle.

i dissagree with this post 100%...too lazy to write why...just see what you wrote, think the oppisite, and thats probably what im thinking
Candy, I love you. lol

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
the only reason we're bad is because i'm not around to show u guys how to beat a top tier oh so pro wtf metaknight

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Lack of metaknights is really a problem, believe it or not

More people need to play metaknight at top levels. When we had plank, omni, forte, korn, and lukky in top form we were still one of the best regions. When sanoscy came in for a while that helped too, but now we have one great mk in korn and no one else. Step it up folks

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
Lack of metaknights is really a problem, believe it or not

More people need to play metaknight at top levels. When we had plank, omni, forte, korn, and lukky in top form we were still one of the best regions. When sanoscy came in for a while that helped too, but now we have one great mk in korn and no one else. Step it up folks
don't call me metaknight.....

I am PerfumeKnight ;)

please don't hate lol

SOVAman

Smash Hero
It is not that I can't pay the $10 dollars lol

It's just I am not going to travel out there and put $10 in sages/gamepads pockets so I can breath your (not so great) air

ESOJOSE

Smash Ace
don't call me metaknight.....

I am PerfumeKnight ;)

please don't hate lol
well then tell ur perfume knight to step it up!!!

It is not that I can't pay the $10 dollars lol

It's just I am not going to travel out there and put $10 in sages/gamepads pockets so I can breath your (not so great) air
whats wrong with there air???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom