• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GamePad VA Presents: Rainbow Crews - June 19, 2010 (an MD/VA Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
They just came out with this thing called a packed lunch, it's pretty crazy I dunno if you guys have heard about it yet. It's like 100% customizable they put pretty much whatever you want in it. It's so crazy I got one the other day mad cheap.

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
I am not a fan

but $3 for 2 triple cheeseburgers is an amazing deal
It's the exact same price and amount of product as getting three mcdoubles, minus one slice of cheese and plus one bun. lol

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Oldschool brown-bagged sandwiches are definitely the best.

**** fast food :laugh:

B0NK

Smash Lord
SOVAman,

Your $5 venue fee...what does that money go to?
The venue fee goes towards reimbursing our expenses for renting the venue. After that the rest is to pay those that assisted in TOing.

People who bring a set-up or are just spectating/not entering the tourney/just there for friendlies don't pay venue fee.

GamePadVA

Smash Apprentice
The venue fee goes towards reimbursing our expenses for renting the venue. After that the rest is to pay those that assisted in TOing.

People who bring a set-up or are just spectating/not entering the tourney/just there for friendlies don't pay venue fee.
So you guys do understand how venue fees work.

The higher the venue fee, the better the quality of the venue. We pride ourselves in the venue that we are able to provide for these tournaments. We have a stage, a projector, a PA system and unparalleled space. The venue fee is what makes all of it possible.

Trust us when we say that if we could lower the venue fee we would. But it's just not mathematically possible. We have to pay our employees a set amount, not just a percentage of the venue fee revenue. Besides, if all venues were created equal then all venue fees would be the same. We feel as though the experience that we provide is superior to that of a crammed restaurant or an undersized LAN center. That extra $5 is what makes all of it possible.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Not to brag, but SOVAman/B0NK/EE definitely made money on the last event. With the $5 venue fee

I guess the ultimatum here is you can't sell someone who wants a Monte Carlo a Corvette, just because it's better. Whoever wants the corvette will come to Gamepad. Whoever wants the Monte Carlo will go to other places.

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
Not to brag, but SOVAman/B0NK/EE definitely made money on the last event. With the $5 venue fee

I guess the ultimatum here is you can't sell someone who wants a Monte Carlo a Corvette, just because it's better. Whoever wants the corvette will come to Gamepad. Whoever wants the Monte Carlo will go to other places.
I don't think that is a fitting example.

They made money because renting the venue was cheaper correct? And because more people showed up due to it only being $5. What Gamepad is saying is that they cannot make the rent any cheaper without having to pay out of pocket in order to run the tournament. Therefore we hope to make the experience as good as possible due to the extra money being paid by the entrants, of which we are appreciative.

Pound is a Monte Carlo.
Gamepad is a Corvette.
Smaller tournaments are Honda Civics which are fun, functional, and very practical.

B0NK

Smash Lord
I don't think that is a fitting example.

They made money because renting the venue was cheaper correct? And because more people showed up due to it only being $5. What Gamepad is saying is that they cannot make the rent any cheaper without having to pay out of pocket in order to run the tournament. Therefore we hope to make the experience as good as possible due to the extra money being paid by the entrants, of which we are appreciative.

Pound is a Monte Carlo.
Gamepad is a Corvette.
Smaller tournaments are Honda Civics which are fun, functional, and very practical.
That's funny, you called our tourney a "smaller" tourney. The venue we are using is a quality venue and we bring in more people because we run efficient and quality tournaments. Our last tourney was the largest tournament in the area this year besides Pound 4.

We aren't going to make money because the venue is cheaper, it's because we listen to tourney goers over the years and provided a quality event for a $5 venue fee and looked for a location more convienent to all the players in the area. Our players don't only save on gas money but also venue fee, which means that more people come.

We take the gamble of lowering the venue fee (and not even charging people who bring set ups) to bring in more people and it works. We would like other tournament host to see that.

Edit: @Gamepad: I pride myself in the quality of our venue too, and personally I don't think players need to pay another $5 for a quality venue and event. Our tourney coming up is not a restaurant or a cramed LAN center, it's in a venue with lots of space and extra seats. (we listen to complaints about space and found a venue with much more space for our next event) Actually we will have more space to work with than Gamepad and we are bringing it to the players for a $5 venue fee.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I brought in 70 people at my last event, because of the venue fee and location. Also you have too give back to the players a little. By at least fully waiving the venue fee of those that bring a full setup. People really like not having to pay at all towards venue fee.

Just the little things is what brings more people. Also you guys can try and host outside of the mall completely and just rent a place out for a day. And you can have a Gamepad event there for really cheap. Charge a $5 venue fee and you guys will still make money. Actually you will probably make more money to pay your employees.

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
Despite my reasoning and all of your reasonings, it's the owner's call and he's not budging. If you guys would like to talk to him in person, please feel free.

If it were me as a player, yes i'd make it $5. I'd waive the venue for setups, be open till 5AM and seed Tant as a 9.

But it's not me. It's Gamepad. Which is a business. Makin some business decisions.

B0NK

Smash Lord
be open till 5AM
Chill, lol, I'd still like to get home at a decent time. xD

And in general, the number doesn't really decide the seeding since there is going to be problems with the bracket anyways. Usually brackets get manually adjusted appropriately.

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
I really hope we can get draft crews in for this. That would be a lot of fun.

GamePadVA

Smash Apprentice
Reply to all.

Hello.

1. This is Matthew, Gamepad owner (for better or for worse), and I regret not getting to see each and every one of you at our last event. (Thanks for missing me, Tant.)

2. I will be there on the 19th, and I look forward to seeing all of you again.

3. Our last event was a bit of a test of a new location and setup, therefore we dropped our normal venue fee from $10 to $7.

4. Bagged lunches are definitely encouraged for those who are down to their last $3, but for the rest of you, I have some good news:

5. Famous Wok will be issuing a 10% discount to all registered players all day long.

6. Chick-fil-a has just released its new spicy chicken sandwich, and it will be available on the 19th... to all players... for FREE. (except you, lil B)

7. (non-spicy will be available upon request for those who cannot handle the proverbial "heat")

8. The Chick-fil-a cow may make an appearance to challenge you to a "no-talking" contest or Brawl, but probably just "no-talking."

9. Other surprises will be forthcoming, but I don't think I can top #8.

Oh, and BMX... Watch your language.

Regards,
Matthew

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
5. Famous Wok will be issuing a 10% discount to all registered players all day long.

6. Chick-fil-a has just released its new spicy chicken sandwich, and it will be available on the 19th... to all players... for FREE. (except you, lil B)
Win

10wins

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
THAT is the effort I expect out of a $10 venue fee, good work Gamepad. You've done well, ah Gamepad didn't let me down after all. Why did I doubt them

MattyP

Smash Apprentice
Monkley, CFA is a top tier among fast food restaurants.... Getting the CFA sauce to go with your sandwich is traditional, however I prefer the Buttermilk Ranch.

Discuss... now!

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Still can't go lol

but, I like the efforts and if you keep all these changes I will probably go to the next one

ESOJOSE

Smash Ace
THAT is the effort I expect out of a $10 venue fee, good work Gamepad. You've done well, ah Gamepad didn't let me down after all. Why did I doubt them
For $10, gamepad is going well beyond what they should do. If that is what you expect out of a $10 venue fee ull be disappointed a lot more times in other events. Gamepad's tourney set up last time was easily worth the $10 even though they only charged $7.

Thanks for all the added benefits Gamepad!!!! :bee:

Not sure if im going to be here b/c its my brothers B-day but im still gonna try to show up.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
For $10, gamepad is going well beyond what they should do. If that is what you expect out of a $10 venue fee ull be disappointed a lot more times in other events. Gamepad's tourney set up last time was easily worth the $10 even though they only charged $7.

Not sure if im going to be here b/c its my brothers B-day but im still gonna try to show up.
This is because Gamepad is a class act, and I shouldn't have doubted them to begin with

MattyP

Smash Apprentice

U right.

Thanks for the support. Hope you can make it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom