• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garde's Link Guide

Garde

Smash Ace
The GERM, it was really nice meeting you as well, hopefully we'll get the chance to play a ditto next time we meet! :)

I wasn't at the teams tourney because I didn't have a ride up there, it was out of sheer luck that one of CryoFang's friends was unable to make it up there, giving me a spot in his car.

SS4Ricky, The GERM was one of the better Link players there, probably top 3 or 4 from what I saw. DeriLink was really good, and so was Master Sword (who took Eddie down to one stock in their first match), although I missed the ditto between DeriLink and The GERM, I heard that DeriLink won. I personally thought that The GERM's style was more impressive than DeriLink's, I wish I could've seen the match to see how DeriLink won. Isai played a ditto against DeriLink and the match was extremely close. They weren't playing with names, so I wasn't sure exactly which one was which, but even so, the match came down to one stock, both being over 120%, so Isai's Link is really good also.

I think The GERM's playing style is adapted towards fighting against characters such as Marth and Fox, and other fast characters, as opposed to Link dittos, but I'll definitely say that he was the fastest Link that I've ever seen. His dash dancing and L-Cancelling was pretty impressive (especially since I've never seen a dash dancing Link before). There were a lot of skilled players there using the upper tier characters, and he was able to beat most of them with his Link, which impressed the **** out of me.

The GERM, you've given me a good reason to play Link more often now, I need to make mine as fast as yours! :) I picked up YLink because I didn't think I could make my Link any faster, but watching you play has changed my mind, so I'm gonna practice my dash dancing and other tactics I picked up from you (hopefully against some humans instead of in training).

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I sure wish I was at the OC. Anyways, does anyone believe that Link is the only character that doesnt have a counter character?
I think so because he is really well balanced.

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
Fox is a counter character to Link and obviously marth is too. Fox can shine combo Link better than he can any other character besides Peach. "I will DI..." Sorry buddy, it's more like you'll 'D.I.E.' HAHAHHAHA :p I don't see how dash dancing helps... "WOW, look, I'm running back and forth in front of you' *Gets hit with a tip* :******:s

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Fox is a counter character to Link and obviously marth is too. Fox can shine combo Link better than he can any other character besides Peach. "I will DI..." Sorry buddy, it's more like you'll 'D.I.E.' HAHAHHAHA I don't see how dash dancing helps... "WOW, look, I'm running back and forth in front of you' *Gets hit with a tip* s
I doubt that Link gets the hurt from Fox, he can use his heaviness to his disadvantage. And the only shine Link cant get out of from fox is the wallshine. Since Link has the best traction in the game you CC to get out of those shines, except wallshine is harder to get out of. Therefore I believe Link has advantage over Fox. And since you said Marth being counter to him I believe you.
And I only use Dash Dancing when opponent is coming back from heaven to have them guessing, I dont do it in the middle of a match.

Link_the_Masta

Smash Rookie
Link vs fox or Marth

Isn't link more powerfl than Fox or Marth, I mean even at very hard I still able to kill them, the middle-jump down+A combo is effective with them, also the spin attack(not in the air) can be useful because if they roll they still can get hit by the last slash which is the mosty powerful of them no?

PolyCabeza

Smash Apprentice
I showed Ricky the trick and he's decided that it should stay within the Alcapwnz.... it's funny how I don't play Link much but I have to find out everything for the ones that do. Quite sad.
dang.. you make me wanna find this trick out for myself.... yeah.... i wanna learn =/.

is it possible to crouch cancel a shine?

cablepuff

Smash Ace
someone needs to put derrick? (washington dude) v.s. the germ online for everyone to see. That match was an eye opener.

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
Foot: You're thinking about something else, that one is kinda weak....

WTF, He has better traction so when you reflect him he's within wavedashing range. Go in to training mode and do the combo across the stage, it counts as a combo, you can't CC it, it just makes it easier for fox

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
It's bad to CC Fox's reflector. It just makes it easier for Fox to pull off his combo. Take for instance another Fox. A normal reflect would knock him off his feet, which in this case is good. But if Fox ducked another Fox's reflector, he'd be pushed and stunned, not knocked over, which is bad because Fox can follow up with another reflect.

And Greta's the Marth counter to Link. He plays the mad mind games. O_O Don't expect to get back on the edge if he knocks you off. :crazy:

But don't listen to him about the dash dancing, it works.:beezo:

D

Deleted member

yeah Matt beat the crap out of my Link with his Fox. Too much upsmash >_<

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
CC, then WD back. CC leaves you less stunned, so you can get out of the stunning animation quicker if you CC the shine. Then WD back to get out of harms way. :beezo:

The GERM

Smash Ace
Shiek trouble......

Does anyone use Young Link also. I've always played as him but never really seriously. I'm good with Link but any good Shiek player can chain grab me to **** and just kick my ***. I'm thinking of using Y. Link for fast characters like Shiek and Link for slow and powerful characters like Ganon. Does anyone know if Young Link is better off against Shiek than adult Link. I don't know, Im just sick of getting beat by a Shiek player in tournaments. Don't get me wrong, I've ***** good Shieks, but if they know how to chain grab well, I'm screwed. I'm in hardcore Young Link training right now, so if some Shiek player comes along, it's fu%$ing on! hopefully. Shiek......must.......die.

D

Deleted member

err, what about DI? That makes the chain grab really difficult, and you might not have to switch. Young Link would seem like a worse choice with his lack of KO moves. Of course, it might look different in a match than on paper.

The GERM

Smash Ace
HAHAHA. Sorry Umbreonmow, I guess you don't play Link much, Or atleast against a good Sheik. DI-ing doesn't help until you're at about 90% or so, if you're not already dead. DI-ing up doesn't help much either, it only helps in a sense that if you DI straight up after the down throw, it makes the Sheik player slightly confused as to which direction to grab in, depending on the player, but no real technical reason.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Yo, on a side note about the whole chain throwing thing, what I've been doing is wiggling the analog left&right and hitting the Z button, there have been a few times where I've actually gotten out of chain grabs like that. And then shooting out the hookshot in offense/defense. DI tactics really don't do too much at the lower %'s.

snex

Smash Master
sheik chain grabs ylink just as well. heres a thought.. instead of asking for help why dont you load up training mode and see who sheik cant chain grab. testing things on your own, what a novel idea!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I went to Red Dragons Tournament yesterday. And my word, people always chose Marth to take my Link down. The Marths took me out of the tournament. I swear Im going to make a fighting style with Link that destroys Marth. :mad:
Shieks are trouble too, but I can handle them more easily then Marth. The champion of florida (Mario player) was easier to hit then those Marths, it doesnt make sense!:crazy:

The GERM

Smash Ace
Look SNEX, I know who Sheik can chain grab and who she can't. But my best is Link, and if someone knows a way to escape chain grabbing, than I would sure love to hear it, but if there's is absolutely no way to escape it, than and only than will I try to get another character up to par with my Link. I just don't feel like wasting my time if there is a good solution.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Yo, on a side note about the whole chain throwing thing, what I've been doing is wiggling the analog left&right and hitting the Z button, there have been a few times where I've actually gotten out of chain grabs like that. And then shooting out the hookshot in offense/defense. DI tactics really don't do too much at the lower %'s.
The left right tactic works for getting you out of the spin, as many people know, but i don't think too many people knew that Z did the same thing. L.9 Cpu's can get out of the tumble animation lightning quick, so i'm thinking chose sheik, then fight a L.9 Link and chain grab. Haven't tried it out myself yet, but we'll see.

And GERM, there's some characters that just can't get out. Sadly, one of them is Link. I'd say Mario, Falco, or Fox may be suitable to handle Sheik. Mario for caping reasons, Sheiks grab and slap too much, plus he's floaty enough not to be chain grabbed i think. Fox and Falco definately can't be chaingrabbed. Falco has laser spam (sheik ducks, try for the low lasers!), and can pull the reflect spike combo, and Fox is a leathal weapon under the hands of anyone that can short jump neutral and waveshine, plus sheik is pretty heavy, and can be juggled easily, which all three characters can do pretty well.

If all else fails, then go sheik. Chain grab wars!

D

Deleted member

hmm I see.

Not to be ******** on purpose, but did you ever consider Jigglypuff? Jiggly only has problems with Sheik's up air. But on the other hand, you can almost always live sheik slap thanks to infinate recovery, you can't be chain throwed, and if she uses dash attack, you can CC to rest. Also, you won't have to worry about shield grabs so much with her air control. You can string back airs to edge hog easily enough too. Her over tilt can go through and hit you, even if you hit her as well, but you can dI away so she can't combo with it easily.

Jiggly only really requires crouching or triangle jumping, good spacing for an air game, and a little fun stuff. All of which should be really easy from what Garde told me about you.

It also solves a problem if you happen to have one with Fox. As for Marth though you're still on your own. Although I kinda think Link vs Marth is fair, I know most players do not agree.

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
If you play well enough you can take out marth with link, but if you're not top of your game, you're gone :( well.... I guess I'd use link against marth, go projectile crazy :crazy:

Garde

Smash Ace
Interesting about pressing Z while being chain grabbed... How low of a % does this work against Sheik? I know you need to wiggle as well, but seriously, how effective is this? Does it spare you from a lot of %, or do you take barely less?

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
I think it's based on a combo of your %, plus how good you are at wiggling the joystick and getting Z off in time. Some people wiggle the analog frantically, when all you really need is one left to right - right to left motion, or vice versa. So if you were on point with that, and managed to get that Z button off at that right moment, I'm sure you could spare yourself alot of damage. I'll work on that and see what I come up with.

As for the whole Marth thing, I realize that while a main focus would be to avoid getting hit, in the event that you DO get hit, it would be useful to work on DI recoveries. Most of us do this anyway, but I see it more often with Link players. All I mean is that assuming you get hit with the tip of Marth's sword, doing a fast DI down and teching will save you a life easy. I've taken tip hits at like 150%, but I managed to hit down and tech uber fast, and slid all the way off the stage, and then hookshotted my way back on. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, it's just something I think shouldn't be overlooked. As for tactics against Marth, I just always have explosives all around. As long as there is always some projectile flying at Marth, he has to either catch, dodge, block, or swat away the projectile. In all of those cases, he's open for a tad bit. As small as the window may be, it's better than nothing I suppose. Or you could just keep going back and forth under Final Destination till he gives up:bee:

Garde

Smash Ace
By bomb recovering under the stage.... The down side to that is that you take damage each time you go under the stage... Sure the Marth player will want to go after you, but after a while, he'll probably learn to just sit back and watch you slowly kill yourself... Plus, going under FD is no easy task, chances of you messing up are pretty high, so the Marth player could just run back and forth on FD and you end up dying due to you making one slip...

Okay I know it was a joke... But others might not know Kubuu...

Is recovering really just tapping left-right-left or right-left-right? I never knew... Now that I do, that should make things a lot easier.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Final Destination thing was a joke? Man, you had my hopes high at first. I swear I will become a Marth destroyer with Link with the new style Im learning.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the sheer shock of seeing Link go under FD would be enough for the Marth player to just give up and bow down to you, thus giving you the victory. Just like the Jedi Mind Trick;)

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Well, tell us how it works man! We all know it involves a bomb, lets hear a process! Haven't tried it out myself, but i have my doubts.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
What subject was that again? Chain-throw breaking?
As for the FD tactic, I made a vid already, it's on the hub, but if it'll help to put a link up here, I'll do it.

As for the chain-throw breaking, the only thing I've seen the computer consistently do is, recover in the air and end up coming down with the up thrust. In which case, that would leave us hitting A and not Z, while wiggling the analog. However, if you end up playing a Shiek who doesn't DI much when down-thrown, you can chain-throw them with Link once you reach the 30% damage mark. You have to be mad fast though, cause her neutral A comes out like a bullet :( But Shiek is one of those characters that Link can grab even if his back is to her, so after a down throw at the right %, you can keep the chain throw going. Although, this tactic is no where near as easy as hers, but since when did anyting come easy with Link?:)

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Put a link up here.

And at the right percentage, Link can downthrow to up+B a sheik. Now that you can't DI out of. :bee:

Edit: Just saw the vids....:eek: Major props to Kubuu, too bad some of them i can't do due to my version of Smash. I did have the old one, but wanted to get past 4556 in HRC, so i swapped it with a friend. I want my old version back...:(

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Kubuu do you have the new version or older version?

Sorry for that double post, comp was acting weird. Anyways this 11 year kid won second place with his Sheik at Red Dragons Tournament. I didnt fight him in singles, but I did lose to him in teams. Best Falco in Fl,+ his Sheik vs. Best Link in Fl,+ kamikaze Gdorf. Sometimes the teams just dont seem fairly even in tournys...:rolleyes:

The GERM

Smash Ace
just some edge guarding crap and a complaint

You know how Peach sometimes pulls out a "grandfather" turnip at random or whatever that is close to having the power of a bob-omb, it's kinda rare I guess. But wouldn't it be cool if Link had like a 1/30% chance of pulling out a bob-omb. That would be
fu%#ing sick. Why should Peach be the only one with this advantage, her turnips already cause more damage than Link's bombs, geez.

I found out that Samus is pretty easy to edge guard with Link. If Samus recovers with her bombs, you can take most of them out with your arrows. And I also found this pretty cool and useful but also kind of risky. It mainly works on FD, but if Samus uses her grapple beam in the middle of the stage during a recovery, you can just run off the stage, and the moment you're off, do your double back kicks to hit her. But make sure that as soon as you're off the stage, you do your back kicks toward the stage so your moving backwards and not just out because you'd surely miss. And don't worry about recovery, you can make it back with an up+B.

Another risky one is a bit similar but not really. After you knock Samus off the stage, immediately edge-hog, that way the Samus player won't use the up+B recovery, and will have to use the grapple beam. If they choose to or have no choice but to use the power beam in the middle or lower part of the stage and they hang there waiting for you to make a move, just sit there on the edge and as soon as they press "A" to jump, just drop off the edge and sex kick!!! but make sure that you don't fastfall drop, that'll f@#k you up. Fall with "back" or "away" or whatever and sex kick. 90% of the time, Samus will either hit the wall and bounce diagonally downward, or she will hit the bottom of the edge of the stage and spike herself straight down, it depends on how high she is when you make contact and if whether you make a direct hit or a late one. After the impact, be sure to do a jump and then a hookshot because you won't make it back with an up+B this time. This actually works with a couple characters like Samus herself or sheik, but it works best with Link and Samus because there sex kick attacks both last about a second and a half, and they both have reach, so the space between you and stage when you fall is occupied by your leg so you opponent has nowhere to go. This is a really good edge-guading move, but again, it's kinda risky because you have to do a hookshot to get back up, but it does work very well. This can work with Link on Samus or vise versa, or even in a ditto.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Word, I'm glad you noticed that Germ. I used those tactics in some matches at Game Over. The second tactic especially. If you make it a point to remember to do those all the time, it becomes more a hindrance for the Samus player to try to come in that low. Another tactic that works, which is pretty safe, is just standing on the very edge of the level, so you can just drop bombs with the Z button, and bring your enemy up to you for an well placed up+b. This is the kinda thing you'd wanna do if you didn't want to risk messing up the other two options, not that their extremely difficult or anything, but as a a " I don't want to risk my last life sort of thing.

Linkzrath

Smash Journeyman
Nice guide. I am a decent Link player. With him, I managed to beat Fire Emblem Pride on the first try, losing only 1 life...DOUBLE SLASH OWNAGE!!!!!

Top Bottom