• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garde's Link Guide

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I guess it is time to bring this topic back. Anyway, I usually throw bombs with "A". Forward smash throws are "A", but turnaround smash throws are the c-stick, same with down smash throws. Up smash throws are "A" button though, and dropping is with Z. But I drop bombs more than anything else.

X Japan

Smash Lord
yea Kubuu it had to be done after all our battles together.to think of it.it was a fun week for those 2 days we battled each other.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
what has happen to all the Link players.
Ahhh!!! I'm still here! Just been praticing.

What do you guys think of charging at a person with Link, then while holding foward on the analog, short jump and push back on the c-stick. This give Link a charging back aerial, pretty useful i think. It throws people off, plus get's two hits, and if cancelled, you can pull a dash attack to finish it off. I was also thinking of doing the short jump double jump back kick thingie going foward, but that's pretty tough using the c-stick. Just posting another tactic that may prove interesting.

Edit: That Silvenswordsman's topic should be looked at. The whole bomb slash recovery is a good idea. Haven't tried it out, but i'm about it.:)

The GERM

Smash Ace
hey, which Link players are gonna be at the OC. I'd love some Link on Link matches. Like X-Japan said, I don't think Link dittos prove who's better, but they are fun none the less. And no money matches, whatever happened to playing for fun huh? Everyone's so greedy nowadays.

Garde

Smash Ace
Well, my friend who was going to give me a ride up to the 0-C has backed down and told me to find another way up there.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, although I'm hoping I'll be able to catch a ride with CryoFang.

If I make it, I'll be glad to play a Link ditto with you, although I'm afraid I probably won't do too well, since I've been out of practice for several weeks, and realize how much I've needed some outside competition.

I have no hope of finishing in the top 10, probably not even the top 20 (not sure how big the tourney is gonna be, but I'm guessing it's gonna be around 50 or more). If I'm able to scrub all the rust out of my Link game, then maybe I'll put up a decent challenge for you. And of course, no money matches, since I have no money left... I spent it all when going out to Tennessee and NorCal... I've barely saved enough to pay for the entry fee for the 0-C...

X Japan

Smash Lord
i see everyone like using my saying now a days.i didn't no i was so wise as a old man.kool.anyway i wish i could go to the OC but by the time the OC happen i'll be in boot camp for the Navy.hopefully during sometime in my 3 years i'll come vist Cali to fight some of u.hopefully you'll still be playing.

Garde - with ur know how with Link u should be able to put up a good fight.i wish u luck at the OC.

The GERM - wish u luck as well at OC.

X Japan

Smash Lord
did anyone see the thread that Sliven made.everyone here should see it.i'm telling u its something so new.........NOT!i like to see what he'll post in here.

anyway ppl look at my new and improve sign.

F

FangOfTheRabbit

Nice way to pick a fight. In the safety of the link thread ^_^.
Is that...Naruto..?!?

X Japan

Smash Lord
Originally posted by FangOfTheRabbit
Nice way to pick a fight. In the safety of the link thread ^_^.
Is that...Naruto..?!?
i already know Sliven and played him i have nothing esle to prove and yes that is Naruto.never seen ep26/27.u should its a funney ep.

X Japan

Smash Lord
i get them from a anime forum i go to.animesuki.com its really a anime DL torrent site, but it has a forum part to it.i get all my anime gif(mainly Naruto.one of the best anime series i've got to say).for any more info hit me up on AIM.

Silvenswordsman

Smash Apprentice
U fought me way back when I had no knwldg of any of these cool Link stunts and also no knwldg of wavedashing and hookshotting

Im sure if I fought you currently id take off atleast 3 lives off of you. I dont do stupid sacrifices anymore and Im gonna be more KEEN to your edgehogging me with ganondorf.

Ill use SAMUS and LINK next time.Why dont we have a smashfest again sometime soon and GARDE can come.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Silvenswordsman

Im sure if I fought you currently id take off atleast 3 lives off of you. I dont do stupid sacrifices anymore and Im gonna be more KEEN to your edgehogging me with ganondorf.

That's big talk there. While I am sure you've probably gotten better, don't forget that X Japan has gotten better too. And using "cool Link stunts" and WDing won't be enough if you don't already know how to use Link efficiently. Last time I checked, Garde lived in Cali, so I don't think he'll be making any NY smashfests anytime soon. Although I would like to fight his Link sometime :D

Silvenswordsman

Smash Apprentice
By the way KUBUU the first and last time I fought X JAPAN If im not mistaken I think I used Ganondorf...not LINK

DID I, X JAPAN?...Either him or Falco NEwayz I sucked back then because I thought only smash moves were effective, like every newbie.

The GERM

Smash Ace
Kubuu's right Silven. Don't think that just because you can wavedash with Link now, which is hardly a wavedash at all, and do flashy stunts just for the sake of being flashy, that you can talk s*** like you'd own. A lot of people actually mistake flashy-ness with actual skill. Link is a very complicated Hylian, he's not easy to master. All I'm saying is, don't write checks that your skills can't cash.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
::enters::

Let that fool Silven be flashy! It wont be enough to keep up with X and I ::evil laugh:: MUA HA HA HA HA!!!

but keep training tho:cool:

X japan: Blaine stop posting so much! U have like 4 posts on one page yo!!! Its not the DA way!!!

Garde: whats up dude!!! good luck to ya at the OC!!

::leaves::

Silvenswordsman

Smash Apprentice
Nobody said I use links tricks just to be flashy, they can actually be helpful in certain situations and I know for a fact I got better because I can whoop my friend's *** now. Look at it like this, If he used to PWN me back then and now I PWN him right now I got better, theres no denying that Peach" and Germ". And nobody said I use Link as my main....its Samus but Link is second, it kinda depends on which character my opponent chooses but most of the time its samus. And Samus's wavedash is very useful because I dont want to roll around in a stupid ball trying to outdodge a fast character.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Im another Link player. Ive started training with him as soon as SSBM came out. I think people underestimate Link way too much cause of the tier chart. Sometimes I'd go to a tournament and I would be the only Link player there. And Link is all about Skills, although some are hard to get used to. Ive learned alot from the guide. But personally I dont WD with Link. And I believe he can shield and use his Up+A Tilt to come out as soon as his shield is disappearing. But thank you everyone for that really great guide, best I have seen so far.

EDIT: And Im not sure if you guys do this but when someone smashes me off the edge, and they are edge guarding I throw my Boomerang at them so they wont spike me or whatever, and since I use Boomerang, it changes my direction in the air. Instead of my back to the opponent, when I use the boomerang Link turns and faces opponent/edge and useful for just in case you need to grapple for recovery when your back is to the edge. You can also use Air Spin Attack when they are hit by the boomerang. I also like throwing the boomerang to the ground to make it bounce into their faces, then jump in and punish them.:chuckle:

Garde

Smash Ace
Originally posted by CaliburChamp
Im another Link player. Ive started training with him as soon as SSBM came out. I think people underestimate Link way too much cause of the tier chart. Sometimes I'd go to a tournament and I would be the only Link player there. And Link is all about Skills, although some are hard to get used to. Ive learned alot from the guide. But personally I dont WD with Link. And I believe he can shield and use his Up+A Tilt to come out as soon as his shield is disappearing. But thank you everyone for that really great guide, best I have seen so far.

EDIT: And Im not sure if you guys do this but when someone smashes me off the edge, and they are edge guarding I throw my Boomerang at them so they wont spike me or whatever, and since I use Boomerang, it changes my direction in the air. Instead of my back to the opponent, when I use the boomerang Link turns and faces opponent/edge and useful for just in case you need to grapple for recovery when your back is to the edge. You can also use Air Spin Attack when they are hit by the boomerang. I also like throwing the boomerang to the ground to make it bounce into their faces, then jump in and punish them.:chuckle:
Thanks, I put lots of time into making this guide, and I'm glad you thought highly of it. :D

To tell the truth, I WD very little with Link, very few Link players can WD effectively with him, I've only met one.

That boomerang tactic is useful, I actually use it quite a bit when I can without risking my life by dropping too low from using the move. It's especially useful with YLink because of his control with the boomerang. Definitely a good way of turning yourself around to face the stage.

Heh, throwing the boomerang into the ground... That actually works quite a bit for me. People jump, because they think it'll stay low (even though they know it bounces), and get hit by the boomerang.

I

IceBlaster

Originally posted by CaliburChamp
I also like throwing the boomerang to the ground to make it bounce into their faces, then jump in and punish them.:chuckle:
I do that, too. I think that is a reason why I don't feel as comfortable playing as Young Link, because when I try that, the boomerang just eats the floor and bounces straight back at me, leaving me very open to attack.

As a new poster in SWF and this thread, nice work on the Link guide, Garde. I have already learned a bit from it on my first read way back when you first posted it on OCR, and am now trying to get more out of it as I'm now trying to improve my Link game.

~Wavebuster (from OCR's Smash Community)

The GERM

Smash Ace
Bomb-dash (WAVEDASH GOD-****IT!!)

You know, I don't know why people don't wavedash with Link. For me, wavedashing is as much a mental game as it is a physical one. For some reason, wavedashing seems to throw off your opponents game especially if you're consistant. The only time I wavedash with Link for any real physical reason is after I throw a bomb. If you throw a bomb while small jumping you still have enough time to quickly hold a direction and press L when you hit the floor which gets you out of the way of harm if they happen to dodge your bomb. Or you can quickly wave-dash forward after the bomb hit which leaves them vulberable for whatever you like. Preferably, I like to go with a quick up+B. Don't think it's easy though, the timing has to be perfect. If you decide to go with the wavedash forward after the bomb hit, It becomes very risky. Especially if you miss your target with your bomb because if you do it right, you should be in the middle of your wavedash before the bomb even gets to your opponent so you won't have time to realize that you missed. Or if he blocks or dodges your bomb, you'll wavedash right in his face which turns into a matter of who's the fastest reactor. Basically, don't miss your target with your bomb.

Garde

Smash Ace
Good to see a fellow OCR member here. Glad you finally made your appearance (or have you posted before this?) Wavebuster, er... IceBlaster.

YLink can throw the boomer down and have it bounce off the ground, you just can't hold straight down like you can with Link, since YLink's boomer is more sensitive to directions. It's tough at first, but you'll eventually get the hang of it if you use it long enough. The easiest way is pressing forward+B, then sliding the control stick slightly up or down, so it's not quite at a 45 degree angle from horizontal.

The GERM, that's a very interesting tactic... I'll have to incorporate that into both my Link and YLink game... In fact, I already have other ideas for the move...

When you WD forward from throwing the bomb, throw your boomer, you should be close enough where you don't go through the catching animations, allowing you to follow up with an attack, like an f-smash. Of course, this is in theory, at the moment, since I haven't tested it out, but I can definitely see it working (and it sort of gets rid of the problem of if your opponent shields the bomb and is going for an attack, since you'll already be using your boomer, although, since the boomer takes a while, you may be open for an attack if your opponent shields, I'll have to look more into it).

You know, I try to WD with Link, I've practiced it for hours, and I use it every once in a while. The problem is, I just can't seem to find very many opportunities that Link can take advantage of WDing, but then again, the more you use it, the more opportunities will pop out at you.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
This one great WDing Link you are talkin about Garde, how is it possible? He traveled a greater distance or something? Only way that it is possible I think is to do WD on the UFO on the Four Side level, Flat Zone's Oil Spill. and Icycle Mountains Ice Blocks.

usea

Smash Ace
I WD (very little) with link, but it's very possible. all characters can wavedash, link just has the worst one. it still moves horizontally, just not a lot.

Garde

Smash Ace
usea is right. Link's WD is very short, but you can still use it in many cases, it's just very awkward at first.

I don't WD with Link very much in battle, but practicing it has allowed me to use it from time to time without making mistakes, and has helped me quite a bit, now I just need to use it more...

About the great WDing Link, it's X Japan. He doesn't WD farther (although maybe, just slightly, since pressing directions closer to horizontal result in sliding farther), he just knows how and when to use it, which leaves him a lot less open than using other ways of dodging (like Link's roll).

SilvenswordsmanX

Smash Ace
I use Link's wavedash alot, because its similar to Zelda's wavedash because she goes very short but its still good for those moments where you wish you could have just been one inch away. And you dont even have to use its like that...since Link has a good shortjump u can just jump in place and time your diagonal airdodge so you do a kind of jumping wavedash (especially cool with luigi) this is useful because you can be jumping forward to your opponent and the next thing you know you slide backwards which ofcourse, will confuse your opponent for a while cuz maybe they didnt know u can do a wavedash like that, even tho im sure everyone did.

Gobolt

Smash Apprentice
Good guide Garde, I must say, it has helped me to realise some good tactics with Link and shoved me that there are more good Link players in the world than I thought, I sure wish that I could play against you, even thought I most likely suck when compared to you.

But anyways, I just thought tactic that I think works(haven't tested yet) and I'm wondering if this is new or old thing.

You know that when you throw a foe with few or none percents down with Link that they bounce up and you can do that up B and it works a bit like Fox's throw down & down B right, well it doesnt work with floaty characters like luigi because they just hit you from the air, well I thought that drawing Links bomb and throwing it up and then pulling the foe in with the hookshot and throwing him/her down, the bomb (with right timing) should connect with your foe and disrupt their attack and give you a change to do pretty much anything.

Althuogh I dont know if this works, I havent got the change to try it out yet.

JesustheDarkLord

Smash Apprentice
Gobolt: That will technically work, but there is no chance of it happening against a good player. And I really mean no chance - it's too obvious and so many new Links use it that everyone knows to dodge the hookshot.

IceBlaster: I'm glad to see you here as well; since the OCR thread now sucks, it's good to have somewhere where people have knowledge (even if there are a lot of egotistical n00bs and rumors that fly around). I guess Garde isn't going to respond to your question on my forum, so you should look here - although I hope you already have.

I

IceBlaster

Originally posted by Gobolt

You know that when you throw a foe with few or none percents down with Link that they bounce up and you can do that up B and it works a bit like Fox's throw down & down B right, well it doesnt work with floaty characters like luigi because they just hit you from the air, well I thought that drawing Links bomb and throwing it up and then pulling the foe in with the hookshot and throwing him/her down, the bomb (with right timing) should connect with your foe and disrupt their attack and give you a change to do pretty much anything.
I also don't think that the bomb combo you have there is worth the trouble. Even if you are up against someone who isn't that good and allows you to perform this, I would rather throw the opponent up into the bomb, giving you more time if you mess up the bomb toss, and that allows you to keep juggling him/her in the air. Even if you actually get a hold of a good player with the hookshot, he/she could still tech out of your throw, and you end up with a bomb landing on your head. If I throw, my favorite move is a throw upwards followed with a quick up+A aerial. It gives about the same range of damage than the throw down, up+B combo, and seems more consistant, too.

JtDL, yeah, I have been searching through the site looking for that info, and I've had some luck doing so.

Garde

Smash Ace
IceBlaster, it's not only more consistent, but if you screw up, you're not left finishing up a slow attack (or well, you can at least Pressure Drop and L-Cancel, as opposed to just standing there like an idiot).

I posted info on Logan's site! Although it's really not all that great...

*sigh* I'm losing my touch very quickly....

X Japan

Smash Lord
don't woory Garde i'm going to try to get ported to Cali when i'm done with bootcamp and A-school and by my timing should be all done by sometime in either late May or June.

PLEASE DON"T DIE!!!!!!!!!!
JIMMY HLEEEEEEP!!!!!!!! - Wes and Jay

Garde

Smash Ace
Sounds awesome man! Hopefully you won't be rusty when you get out here though, otherwise I might actually come close to beating you. ;) :p

Hopefully this is just another phase of my melee-playing...

I may have another chance of making it up to the 0-C, so wish me luck! :)

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I used that hook shot tactic before and it doesnt work with good players. They either jump consistenly using Short hops when you have them in your hookshot range. It just seems to be that on Final Destinaton its hard for you to grab them cause of no platforms or obstacles that you can play mind games with and make a hookshot hit. Im just basicaly saying levels like Battlefield and Pokemon Stadium or somewhat good for Links hookshot. Ive just learn my lesson not to use hokshot so often. Cause supposedly I fought the best Ness player in Florida, I had no problems at evading his attacks, when I used hookshot it would miss like 80% of the time, then he take advantage of Ness' throws, and his throws was the only thing that was KOing me, and I couldnt dodge his throws.
And Garde hope you do great at the OC. Its gonna be rough competition.

Gobolt

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, thanks for the advice:). I really don't know any good players near me so only ones I can test it on are comps and friends who are about as challengin as lvl 6 comps, oh well. The only way is up, at least for me:D.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Thats cool! Anyways the great Ness I was talkin about is on my Clan team anyways. You can just click on the link on my sig. Well my whole team is actually really good. Im supposedly the best Link in SoFla. But I still got to look for a good Link vs Link match to truly deserve that title.

The GERM

Smash Ace
Hey Garde, if you get to the OC, which I hope you do, will you enter the teams tournament, or are you just going for the singles tourney?

Top Bottom