• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Gardevoir~ Most Awesome Shield-Caster Ever. Or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
What? Deductions, at this point, are all we have. Do you honestly think we (or Sakurai when choosing who goes into Brawl, for that matter) are going to think about this mathematically? Probably not.
He's not gonna think mathematically, which is why all deductions in regards to smash are predicting HIS MIND, it's trying to predict what he's gonna put in smash.

Again....this isn't a lesson in chaos theory, this is making an educated guess at who's making it into a video game based on the given information. You're taking this WAY too seriously.
Which is all I'm point out, people are proclaiming their educated (and in this particular case, probably correct) guesses as the Gospel truth. I'm pointing out that it is an educated guess, and does have a probability of error.

I'm just pointint out the fact that all we're doing is simply guessing based on what we have. Unless the person you were arguing with for some reason believed that there is a 100% chance a character would make it in....
Which was exactly what I was pointing out, EVERYTHING is an educated guess until the official confirmation or deconfirmation comes out.

Actually, it was the opposite, I was pointing out that people were making educated and probably correct guesses that because Gardevoir was a pokeball pokemon she would not be in the game, not that an official deconfirmation occurred when she became a pokeball pokemon.

So yeah, likely correct, definitely. 100% chance correct, not on your life.

P.S. I would be very amused if Sakurai did something that the community tends to consider deconfirmation but has not been confirmed as such with a random character, and then also made that character playable, just to mindgame us.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'd say that a playable demo would be an official confirmation or deconfirmation, but that's not the issue.

The issue that I'm pointing out is that in this she was a pokeball pokemon, which is not the same thing as a deconfirmation because there has been non official word that pokeballs are deconfirmations.

So, all the demo did was confirm that she's a pokeball pokemon for sure, while it did significantly lower the probability of appearance, we lack an official deconfirmation, in that demo or anywhere else.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Do you honestly believe they are going to put Gardevoir in a Pokeball or Tom Nook in the background of Smashville just to fool people? They wouldn't do that, they wouldn't go

****! You guys! We shouldn't have put Gardevoir in a Pokeball and Nook in the background! Lets's go back and redo the whole thing.
Seriously is a waste of money and time, no one would waste any of the two just to keep the players guessing or in suspense.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Do you honestly believe they are going to put Gardevoir in a Pokeball or Tom Nook in the background of Smashville just to fool people? They wouldn't do that, they wouldn't go

Seriously is a waste of money and time, no one would waste any of the two just to keep the players guessing or in suspense.
Well, actually it would be easier then picking a completely different character.

As I'm sure you saw in the "other thread" scaling down a texture is actually extremely easy. Scaling up is more difficult, but still a lot less difficult then creating a brand new texture. Don't believe me? Learn picture editing.

So it would probably be more like....

I really don't think we have enough pokeball pokemon, or characters in smashville's background, oh, we have pokemon that we already have textures for, and Tom Nook, let's scale them down for use in those categories since it's easier then creating new models from scratch.

So actually the barrier would be precident, that's what makes it unlikely that they will have both roles, but again, it's not a sure thing.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I would believe that if the game was in beginning stages, with a demo and things millions of people have seen, it's ridiculous.
The same would apply to every characters, we have not heard a peep about the many other characters that will be in the game ("other" referring to the already confirmed characters, obviously not Garde), and the demos are gonna lack even some confirmed characters.

Why shouldn't it lack unconfirmed characters, even characters that they already decided will be playable, and have everything ready with the exception of actually placing the coding within the game?

That's not ridiculous, it's standard.

What has low odds is that the character will have multiple roles because of standing precedents, nothing more.

And when nintendo is good and ready, they'll reveal the remaining characters on dojo and put the characters' coding into the retail demo module.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Chances are all characters are already designed just waiting to be confirmed, they're not gonna use these four months to add in a character like Nook or Gardevoir... they couldn't do it anyway, it's way too little time.
Of course they already decided, if they're in, the coding for their character already exists in the primary module somewhere (or, since this is probably object-oriented, they could've kept it separate in everything, but that's doubtful for testing purposes).

The vast majority of the coding for every character that is gonna be in brawl already exists, barring a few minor tweaks. However, of that crowd, only a select few got into the demo, all of which are already confirmed.

However, we do not know with 100% certainty what those characters are who are not merged with the core program (or, as is more likely, their objects are disabled, and in most cases unfinished as well), and by the same token, except in a select few cases, we do not know who those characters are not.

We just have educated guesses.

What made you think that they would have to go back and add Nook and Garde in at this point anyway?

vesperview

Smash Hero
Why are we arguing if we both agree Nook and Garde won't be in Brawl?

you said it yourself if everything that has been shown in the demo is confirmed, then everything in the demo that is not playable is just as deconfirmed.

The coding is there, Gardevoir has been seen in the game just as Nook, they aren't playable, now where is this going?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Why are we arguing if we both agree Nook and Garde won't be in Brawl?
Because you're not being precise enough.

you said it yourself if everything that has been shown in the demo is confirmed, then everything in the demo that is not playable is just as deconfirmed.
No, everything in the demo is confirmed, but the inverse is not true, everything not in the demo is not deconfirmed.

For demos released before the game is released (and usually after as well) the game designers INTENTIALLY DISABLE CHARACTERS, FEATURES, ETC. So the suspense builds in the gamers about what the final features are prior to release, and after release so that gamers wouldn't be satisfied with just the demo.

A few random and how their Demo compared to the final build:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Almost all the towns and all the levels bar one were disabled or absent respectively.

Star Wars: Dark Forces: Only 3 levels included, all weapons were coded in, but the game lacked any method of obtaining them.

Every other demo will have the same pattern, only a small portion of the actual content included with the rest either coded out, or lacking the raw code.

But if you're referring to the fact that she's a pokeball in the demo, again, that's not a deconfirmation, she could easily be a pokeball in the final game and still be a character. It'd be easier on the developers then a completely new character.

The coding is there, Gardevoir has been seen in the game just as Nook, they aren't playable, now where is this going?
Nowhere are far as what's possible, again, since neither is a concrete deconfirmation they could easily be appearing in a pokeball and the stage respectively and still be playable characters. What appears in the demo is final unless proven otherwise, what doesn't appear in the demo is always the issue, so nobody says that they're gonna be removed from the roles they have been confirmed in.

There's just a low chance that they'll also have another role.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
the way you seem to opperate, even when the game is officially released and Gardevoir appears only as a pokeball (and maybe a collectable trophy/sticker) you would STILL say she wasn't 100% deconfirmed because there is a slim possibility that she's a super secret character that nobody, including strategy guide makers, know about

Fawriel

Smash Master
the way you seem to opperate, even when the game is officially released and Gardevoir appears only as a pokeball (and maybe a collectable trophy/sticker) you would STILL say she wasn't 100% deconfirmed because there is a slim possibility that she's a super secret character that nobody, including strategy guide makers, know about
In some twisted parallel dimension, that was a smart argument.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can't really rely on websites not owned by Nintendo after all. In order for something to be official, it needs to be hosted on a website owned by the Nintendo company (such as the Smash Bros. Dojo!!).

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
don't know whether you were being sardonic or issuing a compliment.

You can't really rely on websites not owned by Nintendo after all. In order for something to be official, it needs to be hosted on a website owned by the Nintendo company (such as the Smash Bros. Dojo!!).
Do you really think that someone could have doctored in a fake Gardevoir so quickly?

Big One

Smash Cadet
It's also official when it's in the OFFICIAL Nintendo game, which it is.

RDK

Smash Hero
P.S. I would be very amused if Sakurai did something that the community tends to consider deconfirmation but has not been confirmed as such with a random character, and then also made that character playable, just to mindgame us.
That would be very characteristic of Sakurai. He is the epitome of a hardcore mindgamer.

ROFLMAO. Fawriel, I want to have your babies.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
That would be very characteristic of Sakurai. He is the epitome of a hardcore mindgamer.
yeah, but I don't think it's to the extent that he's have his programmers create a character in a pokeball just to trick us.

I mean, thus far, sakurai knows exactly what to release to keep us guessing, but he's never lied to us or released something untrue. (other than the release date, but that's completely different)

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
This is BY FRICKING FAR the DUMBEST argument of all time.

Gardevior = Pokeball Pokemon
You wanting Gardevior to be playable =/= Gardevior being playable.

Fricking tell me how you can think something would be in the game as a Pokeball pokemon AND playable character, or would be used as a pokeball pokemon now and changed later.

I must give this once decent thread now my ultimate act of disaproval:

This thread has intercourse with worthless.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm with Fawriel on this, that was the perfect way of putting it, but let me explain why.

My entire argument was, "only what the official sources say at face value are 100%".

That would be not respecting the official source, aka the game itself, so therefore it would run counter (because we could just check the programming to see for sure what all the characters are).

So the answer is no, my logic extends to exactly what I said it did, no more, no less.

yeah, but I don't think it's to the extent that he's have his programmers create a character in a pokeball just to trick us.

I mean, thus far, sakurai knows exactly what to release to keep us guessing, but he's never lied to us or released something untrue. (other than the release date, but that's completely different)
But that wouldn't be lying to us, which is exactly the point of the entire argument. Everyone is assuming that stuff he never said is a deconfirmation is a deconfirmation. Granted, it's a logical jump, but since he never said that it is, it's certainly not lying to us, it's more smashing our self-created illusions.

This is BY FRICKING FAR the DUMBEST argument of all time.

Gardevior = Pokeball Pokemon
You wanting Gardevior to be playable =/= Gardevior being playable.

Fricking tell me how you can think something would be in the game as a Pokeball pokemon AND playable character, or would be used as a pokeball pokemon now and changed later.

I must give this once decent thread now my ultimate act of disaproval:

This thread has intercourse with worthless.
And why can a character not be in a pokeball and a playable character at the same time?

Because you said so.... Oh that's a wonderful reason![/sarcasm]

Only Sakurai gets to make that decision, certainly not you. He never said that being in a pokeball is deconfirmation so why do you make the assumption that it is?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Everyone is assuming that stuff he never said is a deconfirmation is a deconfirmation. Granted, it's a logical jump, but since he never said that it is, it's certainly not lying to us, it's more smashing our self-created illusions.
a jump? it's not even a hop much less a jump.

-Pokeballs and assist trophies are categorized exactly the same in dojo, the only difference is that pokeballs are exclusively pokemon. No one can deny or debate this fact.

-ATs are universally considered deconfirmation.

- Gardevoir has been seen in a pokeball in the official demo.

- The official demo is an official source.

okay so let's take this information.

If gardevoir is in a pokeball and a pokeball is the equivalent of an assist trophy for pokemon and assist trophies are deconfirmation
AND
this pokeball was seen in an official demo, an official source.

Then gardevoir=officially deconfirmed.

True, the game has not been released yet and so potentially anything could happen that sakurai wanted. He could change anything he wanted; however, this is extremely unlikely. In addition, if we take this into consideration, then absolutely nothing is certain in brawl. NOTHING AT ALL. We can't really opperate with this option because then essentially nothing could ever be accomplished. So we have to opperate without this assumption so that we can have some solid definites.
In this world, Gardevoir has been officially deconfirmed.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but you do realize that the refusal to admit defeat of the Gardevoir fans is not seen as a sign of loyalty by others but as a sign of blind stupidity. Whether or not you view it this way, the gardevoir thread has become the laughing stock of all this forum. You do more harm to gardevoir in the eyes of others than help. It's not to late to let go. I mean you could always use this thread to discuss Gardevoir as she stands in the game: a pokeball.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
-Pokeballs and assist trophies are categorized exactly the same in dojo, the only difference is that pokeballs are exclusively pokemon. No one can deny or debate this fact.
Erm no.

Check dojo, there are three item categories, normal items, pokeballs, and assist trophies. 3 Discrete categories, so you've got it all wrong.

-ATs are universally considered deconfirmation.
For only one reason, it was noted as such on dojo.
If gardevoir is in a pokeball and a pokeball is the equivalent of an assist trophy for pokemon and assist trophies are deconfirmation
AND
this pokeball was seen in an official demo, an official source.
But that's just the point I'm making, there was no equivilency noted between pokeballs and assist trophies. They are discrete item categories. Sure, the jump is logical, but it is not 100% accurate.

however, this is extremely unlikely.
Erm, which was exactly my point, I'm only differentiating between extremely improbable and impossible.

It's not like I'm predicting Gardevoir will appear in brawl.

In addition, if we take this into consideration, then absolutely nothing is certain in brawl. NOTHING AT ALL.
Erm, no, the logic only extends to things that have been officially stated as deconfirmations. Pokeballs are similar to assist trophies, BUT discrete, therefore require a statement from an official source for them to be considered deconfirmation, ergo, impossible.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but you do realize that the refusal to admit defeat of the Gardevoir fans is not seen as a sign of loyalty by others but as a sign of blind stupidity. Whether or not you view it this way, the gardevoir thread has become the laughing stock of all this forum. You do more harm to gardevoir in the eyes of others than help. It's not to late to let go. I mean you could always use this thread to discuss Gardevoir as she stands in the game: a pokeball.
As I pointed out many time before, I'm not a major Gardevoir fan.

If you wanna know who I'm a fan of that's causing me to do this, his name is George Orwell. Read this. I got over Gardevoir a long time ago because I never was really invested in her, but what is annoying me is people using imprecise language, impossible is NOT the same as highly improbable.

You're muddling the meanings of words, THAT is my issue, not Gardevoir getting in or not.

No it won't happen there is not a chance that a Pokemon will be in a pokeball and be playable at the same time! I don't need a crystal ball or a time machine to know that.
And what reason causes this to make the jump between highly improbable to impossible?

Give me an official statement equating pokeballs to assist trophies, or saying that pokeballs are deconfirmations, and then I will agree with no qualms whatsoever. As it stands however, you have no such proof.

vesperview

Smash Hero
If Pokemon's are not assist trophies is because they have their own device to keep them inside... it's obvious pokeballs and at's are the same thing and again how is the company introducing a demo not an official source of deconfirmation, are you saying they're not sure of what they put in the game?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I may be muddling words (which BTW ... you are too (discrete is being used incorrectly for one thing and you've been using other words where you shouldn't too)) but you are muddling concepts. Just because something may be true in some other area, it doesn't make it acceptable to cite that (your math concepts were stretches at best, the situations are not parallel most of the time)

What you are doing is playing devil's advocate... and it's really making this thread horrible whether you care about it or not you are sullying the name of garde fans

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
If Pokemon's are not assist trophies is because they have their own device to keep them inside... it's obvious pokeballs and at's are the same thing.
Again, you're making deductions about how somebody else categorizes them.

But you're not Sakurai, so it's logical, but not 100%.

Ergo, no impossibility, just improbability.

and again how is the company introducing a demo not an official source of deconfirmation, are you saying they're not sure of what they put in the game?
Heh?

When did I say that?

I only said that pokeballs are not officially the same thing as assist trophies, I never disputed the validity of the demo.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Is not logical is OBVIOUS, Pokeballs are Pokemon equivalent to AT's, again one doesn't need Sakurai to put a big notice in the Dojo to know that, they have the exact same use which is to summon a character to do damage for a short period of time, they are the same thing!

and you are disputing the validity of the demo by saying that what's in it is not official until it comes out of the creator's mouth.

and as Sonic says this thread will be even more lulz worthy when the Gardevoir update appears on the Dojo.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Is not logical is OBVIOUS, Pokeballs are Pokemon equivalent to AT's, again one doesn't need Sakurai to put a big notice in the Dojo to know that, they have the exact same use which is to summon a character to do damage for a short period of time, they are the same thing!
agreed!

Sakurai does not need to waste an update spelling every little thing out.

some things are assumed as obvious... there are examples of this in mathematics too so don't try to use math to disprove it

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I may be muddling words (which BTW ... you are too (discrete is being used incorrectly for one thing and you've been using other words where you shouldn't too)) but you are muddling concepts. Just because something may be true in some other area, it doesn't make it acceptable to cite that (your math concepts were stretches at best, the situations are not parallel most of the time)
Discrete is being used properly, it means separate for regular English, and in technical math it refers to numbers being finite (which I used both ways), I may use archaic language at times, but almost never incorrectly, and certainly never knowingly, and usually because I consider it more precise for the given situation.

And I'm not muddling concepts, what we are talking about is probability, something which is a math field, so citing mathematical concepts is perfectly proper in this situation.

That, and what math is sketchy, please cite what errors I made, don't just say it's sketchy.

What you are doing is playing devil's advocate... and it's really making this thread horrible whether you care about it or not you are sullying the name of garde fans
No, Devil's advocate is when you argue against what you agree with.

I agree with every single word I said, I quantified my position from the very beginning (that I took issue with the words "impossible" and "deconfirmation") and people such as yourself are refusing to reach into basic logic and realize that "impossible" is very different from
"highly improbable", even if in the majority of cases it seems similar.

And it's not my fault people don't read and consider me an uber-gardevoir supporter, as opposed to a mild supporter who got annoyed at people muddling the English language to an even greater degree then already is.

Then why wouldn't he make pokeballs a sub-category of assist trophies?

The fact is that it seems obvious, but till confirmed they only carry "high chance of not appearing", not "impossible to appear".

and you are disputing the validity of the demo by saying that what's in it is not official until it comes out of the creator's mouth.
Not really, I said official confirmations or deconfirmations, which includes official word in any form, demos included.

and as Sonic says this thread will be even more lulz worthy when the Gardevoir update appears on the Dojo.
Why? Doesn't hurt my argument since it only refers to this time period, future changes always adapts the situation therefore all statements are only valid as they are current.

agreed!

Sakurai does not need to waste an update spelling every little thing out.

some things are assumed as obvious... there are examples of this in mathematics too so don't try to use math to disprove it
You mean like that there's only white swans?

There are so many examples of something "obvious" being incorrect, it's not even funny, especially when dealing how another human thinks of something, because as I pointed out before, psychology's accuracy only derives from groups, individuals are inherently unpredictable.

Face it, the reasons that's it's obvious is because it's unprecedented for it not to occur that way and you're assuming that equality in your mind means equality in Sakurai's mind.

Oh yeah, as for math, it's not a case of something being obvious, the unproven concepts are the essential features of the system (for example, what makes two real numbers different, "because you can place another real number between them", or "define a point"). We only take them for granted because if we did not we would be working in a slightly different mathematic system.

We COULD pick new core components, and work in a slightly different system (or completely different for that matter), we just choose not to. However, from those core components, all other math is derived.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
you are now arguing for the sake of argument... perhaps the only way for this to be over is to start ignoring adumbrodeus

vesperview

Smash Hero
Then why wouldn't he make pokeballs a sub-category of assist trophies?
Eh... because they're pokeballs? lol

Not really, I said official confirmations or deconfirmations, which includes official word in any form, demos included.
Then why are you arguing about it, if you know the demo is official deconfirmation why are you arguing the possibility of Gardevoir being in the game as playable? you're being very incoherent.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
BTW Pokeballs came first. AT's are just copies of pokeballs but with all other nintendo characters but pokemon

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
you are now arguing for the sake of argument... perhaps the only way for this to be over is to start ignoring adumbrodeus
No, I'm obviously still arguing for my point, that there is a distinction between impossible and highly improbable.

Ignor if you will, I really don't care, my only suggestion is be more precise.

Eh... because they're pokeballs? lol
Which are, according to you, the same thing as assist trophies for pokemon, therefore they should be in the same category, no?

lol.

Then why are you arguing about it, if you know the demo is official deconfirmation why are you arguing the possibility of Gardevoir being in the game as playable? you're being very incoherent.
No, I'm not, you're just assuming that I oppose every point you make because I disagree with your net assertion.

As far as what is contained within these points I only disagree with pokemon being the same thing as assist trophies.

I do not need to dispute the validity of the demo to deduct from there that there is a very low non-zero chance that Gardevoir will be be playable, because the pokeball being a deconfirmation would make her impossible. The demo, only deconfirms her if that assumption is already in place that a pokeball is a deconfirmation, which as I pointed out, is an illogical assumption (but not that it lowers her chances of being playable to, say, below that of Earthbound's retro new age hippy).

So my point does not require attacking the demo's validity, ONLY your interpretation of it.

BTW Pokeballs came first. AT's are just copies of pokeballs but with all other nintendo characters but pokemon
They're similar, but it was never confirmed that they're the same.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Which are, according to you, the same thing as assist trophies for pokemon, therefore they should be in the same category, no?

lol.
They are in the same category ITEMS! The reason they are not together is because they meet different character criteria, Pokeballs = Pokemon, AT's = Every other Nintendo character.

No, I'm not, you're just assuming that I oppose every point you make because I disagree with your net assertion.

As far as what is contained within these points I only disagree with pokemon being the same thing as assist trophies.

I do not need to dispute the validity of the demo to deduct from there that there is a very low non-zero chance that Gardevoir will be be playable, because the pokeball being a deconfirmation would make her impossible. The demo, only deconfirms her if that assumption is already in place that a pokeball is a deconfirmation, which as I pointed out, is an illogical assumption (but not that it lowers her chances of being playable to, say, below that of Earthbound's retro new age hippy).

So my point does not require attacking the demo's validity, ONLY your interpretation of it.
The demo is not there to be interpreted, the demo holds what's officially in the game, Gardevoir is in the demo, thus she is deconfirmed.

They're similar, but it was never confirmed that they're the same.
The only reason they are not the same is because they don't have the same type of characters inside, they don't need to be confirmed by Sakurai to be the same just so that you understand it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
sorry I need to step in here just because I think I can sever the last bit of ground left on your argument:

he never explicitly told us they were the same. HOWEVER it has been seen in vids that they act exactly the same.

He never told us that a sword reached farther than a fist either... some things are just meant to be inferred for the sake of not cluttering the website with pages upon pages of stating the obvious.

(don't think less of me, but I always thought that QFT meant "quit f****** talking" so I just had to look it up ^_^)

vesperview

Smash Hero
sorry I need to step in here just because I think I can sever the last bit of ground left on your argument:

he never explicitly told us they were the same. HOWEVER it has been seen in vids that they act exactly the same.

He never told us that a sword reached farther than a fist either... some things are just meant to be inferred for the sake of not cluttering the website with pages upon pages of stating the obvious.
QFT.

The sword and fist thing was funny.

this thread is having fun intercourse with worthless still
Like it always has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom