• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Gardevoir~ Most Awesome Shield-Caster Ever. Or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
...Meowth hasn't been seen ANYWHERE in Smash apart from a lousy SSB64 Pokeball?
Don't forget the trophy in Melee.

IMO if they have a 3rd gen playable rep, I'd rather have Gardevoir over anything else. I don't really support it, though.

:034:

Smash Hero
Fawriel said:
For the record, I don't exactly expect her, either. This is pure hope we're talking about here.

Now, the PT counts as one rep. It's the Pokemon trainer. He has three Pokemon, but you can't ONLY use one of them, you have to alternate. In the end, it's one character since you can't just ignore the rest, and they all go under the name of the Pokemon trainer. Sure, it was a lot of work to make them all, but the way I see it, Sakurai actually created this guy in order to adequately represent Pokemon, a franchise with an absurd amount of potential characters, without actually giving them a too large portion of character "slots".
In the end, this point is pure speculation since we don't know how Sakurai counts that.

Even MORE speculation is that he "prefers" the first generation or that Jigglypuff WILL return. I heard that he wanted to get rid of her before, and in my opinion, he SHOULD. It pains me that Gardevoir is called "random and insignificant" while that thing is a-OK.
And the fact that he's only repped the first generation in terms of playable characters so far means nothing. It might just as well mean that he may think to himself now "only first gen represented so far, let's go for the other ones now".
And that 2 and 3 had no memorable Pokemon is nothing but opinion.

The poll probably does mean something. Sure, there are some joke characters there. Link's Uncle. lawl and stuff. But then there are other characters like Ike and Dedede who were there several times.
In the end, it all comes down to who Sakurai thinks is the good choice, and if she's the only Pokemon to have been mentioned there, that seems to suggest something.
You're basing it all on popularity, fanbases and stuff, but you do realize that those "loud" fanbases of Munchlax and Deoxys got a kick in the face in the form of Pokeballs and that Meowth hasn't been seen ANYWHERE in Smash apart from a lousy SSB64 Pokeball?

Her chances aren't high, but they are there. That's all I know.
Lemme add this to Fawriel's points:

- Why would Sakurai like first-gen Pokémon in particular? Because there were three playable while the second gen had one? Because there's a Pokémon Trainer with the three first gen starters? Pay attention, the PKMN Trainer (or Red) is the FR/LG rep, where Gardevoir would be the RSE rep. Also, the second gen Pokémon in Melee, Pichu, was a ripoff put in due to lack of time (and it's mediocre popularity).

- We might be a quiet fanbase, but we're still big. And with two 'loud fanbase' Pokémon out of the way (Munchlax and Deoxys), I don't think it really matters.

- Petey Piranha? He's on the poll, and made it from filler character and minor boss in Sunshine to boss in the Subspace Emmisary. Even though he's unimportant and random, one spot on the Poll got him into the game. If Gardevoir is unimportant and random, but has a poll spot, where Deoxys or Munchlax were more important, I think we can expect a whole lot.

- Yes, Xatu, Alakazam, Gengar and Ninetales were in Mystery Dungeon and had some storyline for them. But so did Kangashkan, Wigglytuff and Kecleon. But Gardevoir had the most important role of them all, pretty much the whole storyline (or at least a big part of it) resolves around her.

- Like Fawriel said: the PT is one rep, because he has one spot on the character select screen. All three characters need to work together. That would make it Pikachu (first gen rep), PKMN Trainer (FR/LG rep), Jigglypuff/Mewtwo (anime rep), Lucario (4th gen rep) and Gardevoir (RSE rep). Let's face it: the second rep just doesn't have enough popular and possible Pokémon.

- The fact that the first had more recognizable Pokémon is true for us. But only because of the anime, and the fact that we were kids back then. Our parents recognize them because we used to watch the show (I know I did). For kids nowadays, the third gen might be more recognizable, if they still watch the show. And besides, any Pokémon fan can recognize any Pokémon.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
This thread gives me so much hope for a better game.

I hope that she at least makes it into the game.

She was a good Pokemon and all and I know I adore her.

Oh and Fawriel......

You're awesome :D

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
I know!

Wait, what?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

He's right too, you know. Weren't for you, I'd never have thought of Garde as a possible Brawler. Plus you tend to even make good points sometimes! :p

Anyway, back to our topic!

Brawlman, I'm sorry but I can't help but feel it's so very horribly wrong. Yet I like it so much. Gah :laugh:. Props!

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Welcome Fawriel.

He's right too, you know. Weren't for you, I'd never have thought of Garde as a possible Brawler. Plus you tend to even make good points sometimes! :p
I loved the "sometimes" that you added in there. XD

[back to topic]
In my opinion, Gallade wouldn't have been as great to have in as Gardevoir.

Of course, he's fighting and he'd fit in more but I think because he is fighting it just be like... not right.

Brawlman

Smash Ace
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyway, back to our topic!

Brawlman, I'm sorry but I can't help but feel it's so very horribly wrong. Yet I like it so much. Gah :laugh:. Props!
Kweh?
That made very little sence.....Thanks I guess.:confused:

Welcome Fawriel.

[back to topic]

Of course, he's fighting and he'd fit in more but I think because he is fighting it just be like... not right.
Because we want something original. A fighting type would be too expected.:grin:

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Because we want something original. A fighting type would be too expected.:grin:
Yeah. That's what i meant.

Thanks for the help with the wording.

Now that I think about it, what would be a Gardevoir-kirby hat?
I have an idea of it but I dont' know how to use photoshop.
I think it'd be fun to have in a sig. D
Don't you think?

Anyone know where to find one or how to make one?

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Kweh?
That made very little sence.....Thanks I guess.:confused:
Heh, sorry.

I'll explain. It's simply that fusing two pokemon with personalities and looks so completely and utterly opposite seemed completely wrong, yet your sprite was just so darn awesome I couldn't help but like it :p. That made sense?

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Gallade was gonna come, too, but he left when I made fun of his inner tube.
ROFL, LMAO, etc.

Welcome Fawriel.

I loved the "sometimes" that you added in there. XD

[back to topic]

I suppose technically he'd fit in, but we've never had a Fight-type in the Smash Bros. series, so idk...

Between the two, I'd prefer Gard, though.

Brawlman

Smash Ace
Heh, sorry.

I'll explain. It's simply that fusing two pokemon with personalities and looks so completely and utterly opposite seemed completely wrong, yet your sprite was just so darn awesome I couldn't help but like it :p. That made sense?
Ye, yes it did.:grin:

Here's anotherone for no apparent reason!:psycho: Then back to on-topicness.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I like it :D

Thanks for getting it.

To get back onto topic...

Does anyone think it'd be right to replace Mewtwo with Gardevoir?
because that seems to be the best idea for me and I know it's been brought up but I'm curious to see what other people think..

Fawriel

Smash Master
To get back onto topic...

Does anyone think it'd be right to replace Mewtwo with Gardevoir?
because that seems to be the best idea for me and I know it's been brought up but I'm curious to see what other people think..
Hmmmmmm.
I'd be willing to make the sacrifice, but objectively, it wouldn't be right.
Mewtwo is pretty much the only Pokemon who really deserves to be in after Pikachu.

The one I can't say the same about is Jigglypuff. Or, naturally, Pichu.
It really all depends on how many slots will be given to major franchises. Will Sakurai expand upon already repped franchises or add many new ones while only slightly expanding the already present ones, if at all...?
We'll see about that.

My ideal Pokemon reps would be Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, Gardevoir and Lucario.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I really don't want that to happen. I'm all for Gardevoir and all, but I'd really hate it if she got in at the expense of Mewtwo. I'd much prefer it if both got in.

Admittedly, if she got in instead of Jigglypuff I wouldn't mind at all, but I've never been that fond of the puff =\

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Objectively, I'd kinda be for it.

Not to say I think it'd be much right either but I'd rather have Mewtwo given up at the expense rather of JigglyPuff.

My ideal Pokemon list would be:
Pikachu
Gardevoir
Pokemon Trainer
JigglyPuff
Lucario [even thought I think the idea of having Lucario is a little lame, I'd much rather have him than someone like Blaziken]

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Well, I personally love Smash's incarnation of Jigglypuff, and play it avobe every and any other character. But if it came down to Garde vs Jiggs... with much pain in my heart, I'd have to let go of my main. Garde is new, is awesome, and hasn't been playable in any non-turn based game. I'll always have Melee for playing Jigglypuff if I so desire. So in with the new, out with the old.

Mewtwo... sorry, but, like Fawriel said, he's just the single most deserving character in the whole franchise. He should not go away, not even for Gardevoir.

Captain Brawlimar

Smash Cadet
Gardevoir is actually my most wanted Pokemon in Brawl. If she doesn't appear as a playable character (which unfortunately seems very unlikely), then I at least want to see her as a Pokeball Pokemon. I really like your ideas and moveset for her. She's my favorite non-first-generation Pokemon, and I hope she is represented in some way. :)

Sinn

Smash Lord
Mewtwo... sorry, but, like Fawriel said, he's just the single most deserving character in the whole franchise. He should not go away, not even for Gardevoir.
That said, I'm hoping they fix a few...flaws in his design from last time. I really wanted to main him but lacked the patience. Maybe that was supposed to be the point of him... :: shrug ::

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
That said, I'm hoping they fix a few...flaws in his design from last time. I really wanted to main him but lacked the patience. Maybe that was supposed to be the point of him... :: shrug ::
rest assured, if mewtwo gets in, there will be changes. i mean, mario got a new down B, and link's up B is chargable and his bow is faster, which just proves that sakurai isn't interested in leaving things as they were, and more concerned about balance as well as making sure each fighter represents his games decently.

this was poorly worded. hangovers do that.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Nice pic for sig support (^_^)

I think the lil thing looks cute.:p
edit- it wont open -_-. . .

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I love the way that Sakurai is changing everybody's attacks up.

It makes things sound so much more fun.

You know, Maybe I'll actually play as Mario this time around!

You know, now that I think about it, I can totally see Gardevoir being similar to Zelda.
Not like a clone or anything but something cool like that.

and you have to admit, how awesome would it be having a team of Gardevoir and Zelda, kicking Link and Mario's butts?

0rion

Smash Journeyman
What bout Gardevoir's new evolution for da 4th generation? Da only reason why he wouldn't make it is that Gallade wouldn't make it is that it's too new, not as popular, and I don't think it has any hands.

So yeah, Gardevoir is full of win

Fawriel

Smash Master
I haven't replied in days although there's actually some activity? This must be rectified!
On Topic:

You know, now that I think about it, I can totally see Gardevoir being similar to Zelda.
Not like a clone or anything but something cool like that.

and you have to admit, how awesome would it be having a team of Gardevoir and Zelda, kicking Link and Mario's butts?
The awesomeness factor would be positively considerable! Also, rawk.

And, yeah, there are certain similarities between Gardevoir and Zelda.
Their mobility is sort of similar, although Gardevoir would definitely be faster. Or rather, should. Mewtwo's presence in Melee is kinda discouraging in that respect.
And I suppose they are both graceful, tall beings with some kick-*** ranged and sparkly moves...

If Micaiah doesn't make it, she'd be a good character to fit a sort of magician role... weak tilts but smashes and other attacks that are so huge they could count as projectiles... imagine building up a giant vortex in front of her that still remains in that position for a bit while the character's able to move again... if Snake can shoot missiles and maybe even plant land mines for smashes, everyhting is possible now.
What bout Gardevoir's new evolution for da 4th generation? Da only reason why he wouldn't make it is that Gallade wouldn't make it is that it's too new, not as popular, and I don't think it has any hands.

So yeah, Gardevoir is full of win
As for your second point, she is. That's how she manages to keep her big head on top of that slim body: win is lighter than air.

As for Gallade, he's been brought up already. He'd seem like the more logical choice for an ordinary fighting game, but... this is Smash! I'd rather see some characters who nobody would ever expect to see in a normal fighting game, because everything is possible in this game. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom