• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Guess i hadn't seen much discussion here on it, unless i just missed those pages. Not to mention there was tension in the thread, so i thought what better thing to bring up.......... FINAL FANTASY!!!!

Luigitoilet, i will be really interested to see what Squaire-Enix puts out on the system, that's for sure

Spire

III
BRoomer
lol, you did the right thing.

Lately I've been incredibly intrigued by the idea of revisiting FFV's universe. It even had a four episode anime spin-off, the first episode of which I owned. It basically fit the FFV mold (very formulaic) but took place in the future. Here's the FF wiki page on it: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy:_Legend_of_the_Crystals

I'd like to get my hands on a DVD transfer of this.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Woah Spire, that is pretty cool! I had no idea about that. I stand by you in your interest in that!!

Sephiroths Masamune!!! YOU MUST STAY!! I mean what's final fantasy without you??

Spire

III
BRoomer
Sephiroths Masamune!!! YOU MUST STAY!! I mean what's final fantasy without you??
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XV

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hey, could you post the original pic that your avatar is from? I want to see it in all its glory.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It's rather similar to Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi if you've ever played those. The leveling system works pretty well, although its kind of annoying to have to level from 1 every time you want to try maining someone new. Its a time sink, but its so much that to the point where the bad parts really aren't apparent.
Hmm.. You say it like Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi eh? Well I'm good at those games, to be honest though I was expecting a Tekken or Guilty Gear sort of feel y'know.

As far as leveling goes, I don't mind spending time on it at all, heck i'm still leveling up my Aeons stats in Final Fantasy X WITHOUT a cheating device, so far Ive put 350+ hours into and I've yet to even fight Sin yet.

:phone:

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XV
Hahahaha that was pretty good. Well played sir.

finalark

SNORLAX
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XV
Its kind of annoying when people go on and on about VII and seem to completely forget that there are thirteen other games in the franchise. And anyone who claims that all FF is about is spiky hair and big swords knows nothing about the franchise outside of VII.

And the reason why this thread is dead is because FF news is slow, we've covered every FF-related topic in the world and nobody plays XI or XIV.

Actually, Gates mentioned an anime based off of FFV, I remember seen a VHS of that a long time ago at a pawn shop but didn't get it due to me not owning a VCR anymore. I kind of regret it, honestly. And speaking of FF anime, am I the only one who saw Unlimited? I remember it being pretty interesting. Although this was years ago so my opinion on it probably has changed.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I dunno, maybe it was me who mentioned that anime. It's called Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals. It had a certain charm reminiscent of early Miyazaki.

I'm rather fond of the short series actually.

You guys wanna write a Final Fantasy?

OmegaXXII

Anyone ever see that Final Fantasy movie based on real life? I seen it a couple of times at the store but I'm to lazy to grab it, so Id though I ask you guys.

Hey Spire what happened to your Cait Sith avi?

finalark

SNORLAX
You guys wanna write a Final Fantasy?
Sure, we can play a little game out of it and see how long it takes for someone to start shoehorning VII into it.

Anyone ever see that Final Fantasy movie based on real life? I seen it a couple of times at the store but I'm to lazy to grab it, so Id though I ask you guys.
You mean Spirits Within? Eh, it was a pretty mediocre film IMO.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Its basically just a generic sci-fi film with some JRPG mellow drama thrown in if my memory serves. Its not really worth watching at all IMO.
This.

I know this is FF thread, but....

Anyone play DQIX? I'm playing it atm, an I love it. 30 hours an I'm just getting started. I know I've been hating on DQ(well, I didn't remember liking one of the DS ones an 8), but this one is amazing...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Its basically just a generic sci-fi film with some JRPG mellow drama thrown in if my memory serves. Its not really worth watching at all IMO.
Agreed on all counts, but at least it had great-looking CGI for its time.

*subscribes, despite not being a huge fan of FF.*

Smooth Criminal

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
He may form a dissenting opinion of Spirits Within if he actually sees it for himself. I seriously doubt it, but y'know.

Gotta let 'em run into walls sometimes, or let 'em burn their hands on hot stoves.

Smooth Criminal

OmegaXXII

lol wat. Why would something being mediocre make you want to check it out?

I thought Spirits Within was a complete piece of crap, even back when I was a kid.
Precisely why I want to see it, I want to check how crappy it is for myself and taunt how horrible it is, but by no means would I buy it, maybe rent it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Precisely why I want to see it, I want to check how crappy it is for myself and taunt how horrible it is, but by no means would I buy it, maybe rent it.
Yeah, but it's not so bad it's interesting. It's just boring and mediocre, which is even worse than being outright bad imo.

But i dunno, you might get some enjoyment out of it. I remember the cgi being really impressive back in the day

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This.

I know this is FF thread, but....

Anyone play DQIX? I'm playing it atm, an I love it. 30 hours an I'm just getting started. I know I've been hating on DQ(well, I didn't remember liking one of the DS ones an 8), but this one is amazing...
I've played a bit of it. It's alright.

OmegaXXII

Yeah, but it's not so bad it's interesting. It's just boring and mediocre, which is even worse than being outright bad imo.

But i dunno, you might get some enjoyment out of it. I remember the cgi being really impressive back in the day
Well if the CGI is decent then I guess it's worth checking out, i've always like to check something that VG related anyway even if it turns out bad.

@Ryu Shimazu: If you have a ps2 I would highly recommend you give Dragon Quest VIII a try, it has a nice storyline plus the music is spectacular.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
@Ryu Shimazu: If you have a ps2 I would highly recommend you give Dragon Quest VIII a try, it has a nice storyline plus the music is spectacular.
He actually said that he's played 8 in that sentence.
8 was kinda fun, but it was way too slow for me, but I digress.

And I haven't seen Spirits Within in forever. I can't remember anything about that movie besides just not liking it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well if the CGI is decent then I guess it's worth checking out, i've always like to check something that VG related anyway even if it turns out bad.
The CGI was decent back in 2000. These days it looks like a pretty PS2 cut scene.

My first and only Dragon Quest game was VIII. Hated it. I know that wasn't directed at me, but I feel like throwing my two cents out there.

Wrath`

Smash Master
What is about DQVIII that some people just completely hate? I loved the game, the characters were cool the music was great and it was challenging.

OmegaXXII

My first and only Dragon Quest game was VIII. Hated it. I know that wasn't directed at me, but I feel like throwing my two cents out there.
I'm curious as to why you hated, sure I won't say it's was the best Dragon Quest game ever made, but it at least offered some nice designed charaters and the storyline was decent enough.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm curious as to why you hated, sure I won't say it's was the best Dragon Quest game ever made, but it at least offered some nice designed charaters and the storyline was decent enough.
Okay, saying that I hate it is pretty harsh. Mostly I disliked it strongly because of the sheer amount of grinding you had to do just to get decent equipment then the sheer amount of even more grinding you had to do just to survive the first dungeon.

But yeah, I didn't get past the first dungeon. I've tried to get into the game, and I really wanted to like it but the fact that it beat you over the head with a stupid amount of grinding just turned me away from the game.

OmegaXXII

Hmm... I can understand if a level of frustration gets to a person, that's usually not the case for me when I play any type of RPG, but when it comes to fighting games well....

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
DQIX has grinding, but... I can't say why but I enjoy it. You never have to grind to beat the game, though. It's merely just to be OP and stomp everything. The extra missions require it, though.

Top Bottom