• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
XII had some decent controls. That seems very black/whitish, your comparisons, and I think their is more too it than that.

Battle Wise, XIII is great.

Lack of equipment/customization compared to other FFs, Exploration, In depth stat grinding, etc etc... the game lacks a lot of FF rpg gameplay. It had a good Battle System, that's about it...
Wait...Ive played every FF except 2 and 5. And I've never seen weapon customization in any of the FFs. Its just replace this weapon with new weapon that's better. If anything XIII improved on that by giving each character 8 different weapons that u could upgrade :/.

On the topic of 12, I hated the game. Only thing that was good was the side missions/hunts. Nothing else about the game made me think its a good game. I HATED VAAN SO MUCH. The story sucked. I did complete it though :/. And never ever touched it again.

Oh and here's how I like the FF games in order.

1. FF7
2. FF10
3. FF9 not 4 dumb dumb
4. FF4 not XIII blah u suck
5. FFXIII
6. FF1
7. FF6
8. FF8
9. FF3
10. FF12
11. FF10-2 lawl

Oh and I wont be getting 14 at all. I dont like paying monthly fees :/. And I usually dislike MMOs. (Same reason I dont even mention 11 as a FF game)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It's very hard, honestly the game blows single play imo. I beat it with my GF, though we didn't max out (Luck based leveling system, aka points/artifacts, suck)

I plan on maxing out in Echoes of Time, .though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Wait...Ive played every FF except 2 and 5. And I've never seen weapon customization in any of the FFs. Its just replace this weapon with new weapon that's better. If anything XIII improved on that by giving each character 8 different weapons that u could upgrade :/.

On the topic of 12, I hated the game. Only thing that was good was the side missions/hunts. Nothing else about the game made me think its a good game. I HATED VAAN SO MUCH. The story sucked. I did complete it though :/. And never ever touched it again.

1. FF7
2. FF10
3. FF4
4. FFXIII
5. FF9
6. FF1
7. FF6
8. FF8
9. FF3
10. FF12
11. FF10-2 lawl
When I say customization, I mean, maxing stats, the amount of weapons/armors/accessories, leveling magic/summons and etc etc.

XIII had much less of that content compared to the previous.

I.E. It had no Sphere Grid. (not in detail) It had no Materia, etc etc.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Wait...Ive played every FF except 2 and 5. And I've never seen weapon customization in any of the FFs. Its just replace this weapon with new weapon that's better.
FFX lets you customize the abilities for new weapons and armor that you made.

Wrath`

Smash Master
As for armor/weapons/ect I don't care much about customization as just being able to buy better stuff and then realizing you are low on cash

Anyone have funny FF moments? I think mine has to be in FFVI(GBA) I had just gotten the Skyship of the broken world and not 2 seconds later I run into the optional boss that occupies one square of the map and cast lv 5/4 doom. Well i remeber being "OH **** I DIDN'T SAVE", but then I cam to realize none of my character levles were divisible by 4 or 5, so I did beat him, but geeze I did not like that.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Old topic, but about Cloud: The best Cloud is NA Dissidia Cloud, LOL.

... I think ... I don't want ... anymore fighting ... I ... don't think ... I can take ... it ... any ... more ...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
People refer to Dissidia cloud as "Chubby Cloud" Why is that?

Also, my Funniest FF moment was hunting Danjuro and being so sleep-deprived I dreamed I was still farming it but I wasn't.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way to beat CC on your own? I mean I got to the boss at the end of the final level and just got wrecked.
o'course there is. It's just not really fun playing it alone. It's all about patience. And yes, dying in that game stinks. Having to replay the entire stage over again is ridiculous.

tmlsheikant said:

1. FF7
2. FF10
3. FF4
4. FFXIII
5. FF9
6. FF1
7. FF6
8. FF8
9. FF3
10. FF12
11. FF10-2 lawl
My number one spot is a tie between VII & VI. Forget the crap that is the compilation of VII.

1) [tie] VII / VI
2) I
3) V
4) IX
5) X
6) III
7) II
8) IV
9) VIII

I didn't put down anything else because...why would I if I honestly did not like it. It's like having to put something you hate on a list of favorites. Why bother?

Oh, and if Versus XIII isn't rated M, I'm going to flip.

finalark

SNORLAX
Oh, and if Versus XIII isn't rated M, I'm going to flip.
Why? It's just a letter on the box. Then again, it could be taken as Final Fantasy trying to enter the age of "mature FPS'" despite the fact that from every trailer the game looks nothing like it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I forsee FFXIII having another FFVII compilation era.
Let's hope not most of the games stink this time.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I should fix my list. ( I did it in a rush since I was about to wifi someone XD) Its a 3 way tie for me between 7-9-10. 9 was the first FF game that I ACTUALLY played and I loved it and still do. 7 was the second and I loved it. I hate the compilations though. I wish they would remake the game and cut the crap spinoffs already. 10 was just AMAZING. The STORY was soooo good. And I loved most of the characters, except wakka. And I loved the battle system and the sphere grid. FF4, even though I only played the DS version, I really love the game. Also I meant to put FF4 in 4. And FFXIII in 5 lol. I guess I got things mixed up. XIII comes in 5, because I liked the battle system and characters and the post story grinding in Pulse. :p Hate on me all u want. I hear people like 6 a lot. I unfortunately dont remember everything of the game and I dont have my SNES anymore to play it with, so thats probably why I rank it so low compared to everyone else :/.

FIXED:
1:7,9,10
2:4
3:13
4: the rest

felipe_9595

Smash Lord

1. FF7
2. FF10
3. FF9 not 4 dumb dumb
4. FF4 not XIII blah u suck
5. FFXIII
6. FF1
7. FF6
8. FF8
9. FF3
10. FF12
11. FF10-2 lawl

Oh and I wont be getting 14 at all. I dont like paying monthly fees :/. And I usually dislike MMOs. (Same reason I dont even mention 11 as a FF game)

FF 6 in 6th Dx? FF 10 2d O_o? FF3 9 Dx? you are crazy Dx

This is my order

1-Final Fantasy IX
Best Graphics, Best Storyline, Best Sound, the best for me, I even cryed in some moments ;;___;;.
2-Final Fantasy VI
The story is epic, i cried with this too xD :( (Raaaaacheeeeel :( )
3-Final Fantasy V
Yeah, this one too xDDDD (When Galuf and the warioors died :(,) and becuase here is Gilgamesh xD
4-Final Fantasy III
Without a Guide this Game is Almost imposible, and because the job system were implemented here, and work well ;D
5-Final Fantasy VII
I dont played it, but if i dont put it here, you will blame me xD
6-Final Fantasy I
Imposible, gret game, but imposible xD
7-Final Fantasy IV
i dont played this too :p
8-8 Too :p
9 Final Fantasy XII
This game sucked, really, i think Mystic Quest is better ;P

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Why? It's just a letter on the box. Then again, it could be taken as Final Fantasy trying to enter the age of "mature FPS'" despite the fact that from every trailer the game looks nothing like it.
I'm exaggerating. You're too literal.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
But since you mentioned it, am I the only one who is actually pretty pumped for Versus XIII?
I was excited, then I wasn't. Then I was after I didn't like XIII. Now I'm even more excited after hearing various info like having an airship, car, open world (sandbox world I'm guessing); it sounds like the game's pretty much covering for what XIII didn't have.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, sorry about that. I was kind of in a bad mood when I posted that reply so sorry if it felt like an attack.

But since you mentioned it, am I the only one who is actually pretty pumped for Versus XIII?
SE has a bad past for sequels and compilations, so no I'm not. But it looks better than the previous attempts to say the least.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
You know the fad these days. Give it a dark, film noir style and give it a dark protagonist with a demented past and you somehow get good writing. Hey, if it can work for Batman, why not Noctis
I'm being sarcastic. I heard he's prissy as all hell. But I'm all for a darker setting, nevertheless.

But with all jokes aside, I have high expectations for Versus. I can't really back my reasoning for it aside from the fact that I need a Kingdom Hearts-like RPG without the childish backdrops. And hey, they even had blood in the trailer. That's enough to get me psyched.

finalark

SNORLAX
You know the fad these days. Give it a dark, film noir style and give it a dark protagonist with a demented past and you somehow get good writing. Hey, if it can work for Batman, why not Noctis
I'm being sarcastic. I heard he's prissy as all hell. But I'm all for a darker setting, nevertheless.
I'm all up for a darker, more mature story just so long as you have mature writing to go with the themes. I haven't heard anything about Noctis, but given that it's a Square game I wouldn't be surprised.

But with all jokes aside, I have high expectations for Versus. I can't really back my reasoning for it aside from the fact that I need a Kingdom Hearts-like RPG without the childish backdrops. And hey, they even had blood in the trailer. That's enough to get me psyched.
I have to agree here. Don't get me wrong, I like KH (although my interest in the franchise is pretty much non-existent at this point due to square doing nothing but messing around with spin-offs) but a more mature game with similar game play would be so nice. For me, Versus XIII looks like it's shaping up to be the game that XIII should have been.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
See thats what I hope it is. I hope it's FFXIII + none of the flaws. I'm hoping it isn't a linear game, the story is still good, etc.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
FF 6 in 6th Dx? FF 10 2d O_o? FF3 9 Dx? you are crazy Dx

This is my order

1-Final Fantasy IX
Best Graphics, Best Storyline, Best Sound, the best for me, I even cryed in some moments ;;___;;.
2-Final Fantasy VI
The story is epic, i cried with this too xD :( (Raaaaacheeeeel :( )
3-Final Fantasy V
Yeah, this one too xDDDD (When Galuf and the warioors died :(,) and becuase here is Gilgamesh xD
4-Final Fantasy III
Without a Guide this Game is Almost imposible, and because the job system were implemented here, and work well ;D
5-Final Fantasy VII
I dont played it, but if i dont put it here, you will blame me xD
6-Final Fantasy I
Imposible, gret game, but imposible xD
7-Final Fantasy IV
i dont played this too :p
8-8 Too :p
9 Final Fantasy XII
This game sucked, really, i think Mystic Quest is better ;P
Opinions :p. Different tastes, etc.

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually think X has the best storyline out of them all. Just saying >_>
I have to agree here. In terms of story, I think my only problems were that the poor voice acting distracted from it and some of the supporting cast didn't feel as developed as they could have been.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I have to agree here. In terms of story, I think my only problems were that the poor voice acting distracted from it and some of the supporting cast didn't feel as developed as they could have been.
i my Opinion, the story of FF VI and FF IX are the best from all the saga, Since ps2 final fantasy are not the same sadly :(

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Maybe I'm just too emotional for a guy, but the love twist in it made me want to cry.

Also, the VA wasn't all bad. I liked Auron and Yuna's VA. Tidus was....

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm just too emotional for a guy, but the love twist in it made me want to cry.

Also, the VA wasn't all bad. I liked Auron and Yuna's VA. Tidus was....
everyone cry with final fantasy ;;___;;

I need to post this in spanish, sorry :

Los defensores de estos juegos discuten a menudo que las recepciones negativas se pueden atribuir a la nostalgia, aunque esto es discutido, ya que si bien es cierto que los juegos más contemporáneos en el tiempo han sido más complejos, es algo sabido que éstos han pasado desapercibidos, mientras que los juegos anteriores a Final Fantasy IX han constituido hitos en la historia de los RPGs de la época, por lo que es fácil atribuirles a los nuevos juegos una mayor jugabilidad, que entendida en la actualidad es insuficiente, algo que no ocurría con los viejos números de la saga, los cuales fueron una innovación en el mercado de juego RPG de su tiempo (apuntando sobre todo a Final Fantasy VII y Final Fantasy VIII).

Muchos antiguos fanáticos de la serie inculparon a una degradación en la calidad de diseño a la salida del diseñador Yo****aka Amano después de Final Fantasy VI. Tetsuya Nomura, quien ha estado a cargo del diseño de personajes para la mayoría de las sagas posteriores a Final Fantasy VII, ha sido criticado por los fanáticos de Amano, especialmente aquellos que sienten que los diseños de Nomura parecen demasiado juveniles cuando son comparados con el trabajo de Amano. Han comenzado a emerger quejas similares acerca de la salida del compositor de la saga, Nobuo Uematsu. Final Fantasy XII no tiene ni a Amano ni a Nomura como diseñadores de personajes, por el contrario, cuenta con Akihiko Yoshida como diseñador principal.

After 9, without ematsu and with amano and yoshida, the games sucked hard :/ (X not xD)

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I understand English isn't your first language, but I don't think writing whole posts in Spanish is gonna help, as I'm pretty sure most people here don't know Spanish.

After 9, without ematsu and with amano and yoshida, the games sucked hard :/ (X not xD)

The spanish text justify this oration

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
1) - FFX (I think Tidus is cool, F off, and I love the romance and gameplay)
2) FFXII (Same pretty much)
3) FFVII - ONLY THE GAME ITSELF
4) FFIX
5) FFVI
6) FFIV
7) FFIII
8) FF1
9) FFII
10) FFXIII

5 is excluded becaue I never played, and XI is an mmo so...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Final Fantasy V was the perfect mix of classic RPG game play with a interesting and fun enough story to make you care about the characters and events. To me, it was the classic RPG. GO BUY A COPY. NOW.
FFV was awesome. The Job System was fun and addicting (IMO), and the side quests in that game were cool (unlocking weapons by facing optional bosses). Only downside was the story was a little out there and Bartz was a weak main character. I'd give the story a little leeway, but V's story just felt weak after IV's.

Highlight of V was its job system. It wasn't broken and the game's difficulty would make you plan out who should have which abilities which made your characters pretty fun and diverse.

But yeah, the game is like my third favorite.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
V is amazing, but i prefer 6, better history and gameplay, and the sidequest here are great

finalark

SNORLAX
FFV was awesome. The Job System was fun and addicting (IMO), and the side quests in that game were cool (unlocking weapons by facing optional bosses). Only downside was the story was a little out there and Bartz was a weak main character. I'd give the story a little leeway, but V's story just felt weak after IV's.

Highlight of V was its job system. It wasn't broken and the game's difficulty would make you plan out who should have which abilities which made your characters pretty fun and diverse.

But yeah, the game is like my third favorite.
I have to agree on this. The thing I loved about the game the most was the job system and how much customization it brought. Want a Black Mage who can wear heavy armor? Done. How about a summoner who can cast Blue Magic? That do. Hell, you can make a white mage who can duel-wield swords.

The story was much weaker than IV's but for an old RPG it was pretty good. It really isn't the story or plot as much as it is the characters that I enjoyed. Although Bartz could have been a stronger main character, I agree. It still pisses me off how much they gayed him up in Dissidia.

SyOn

Smash Journeyman
i'm pretty pumped for Versus XIII.

also, my list:
1. IX
2. V
3. X
4. IV
5. VI
6. VII
7. I
8. XIII

i don't care really care about the rest, but i would probably put XII last.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Regarding V, it was likeable. No real complaints besides the difficulty. Never struggled in a FF game so much as I had in that game. Just thinking about trying to fight or walk around Omega brings back a great deal of frustration.

finalark

SNORLAX
Regarding V, it was likeable. No real complaints besides the difficulty. Never struggled in a FF game so much as I had in that game. Just thinking about trying to fight or walk around Omega brings back a great deal of frustration.
Did you ever play Final Fantasy II?

Ugh, I remember my first time with that game. "Alright, I guess I'll take a few steps this way to see what's over her- OH MY GOD THAT MONSTER JUST ONE-HIT MY ENTIRE PARTY."

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Did you ever play Final Fantasy II?

Ugh, I remember my first time with that game. "Alright, I guess I'll take a few steps this way to see what's over her- OH MY GOD THAT MONSTER JUST ONE-HIT MY ENTIRE PARTY."
Played it sporadically (e.g. play it one day for 3 hours, stop, week passes, repeat). Didn't quite get too frustrated as I can recall. Then again, I barely recall my experience at all.

finalark

SNORLAX
Played it sporadically (e.g. play it one day for 3 hours, stop, week passes, repeat). Didn't quite get too frustrated as I can recall. Then again, I barely recall my experience at all.
Well, from what I remember if you don't know EXACTLY what way the game wants you to take when you somewhere expect to be curbstomped on a regular basis.

Now that I think about it, what do you guys think was the hardest Final Fantasy? For me it's II.

Top Bottom