• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
I havent gotten on smashboards in awhile, has there been any new useful techniques IC discoveries in the past 3 or 4 months?

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
so I've been working on the desyncs that kakera uses, mainly the one where he dashes back then forward having nana blizzard while popo does whatever. I can't figure out how he does the dash back the forward with ice block instead of blizzard, is the timing the same as the blizzard one or is it different? any advice is greatly appreciated :D

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Split stick desyncs new.
Hold In attack, walk slightly and c-stick smash in the other directionfrom walking. Popo chrages his smash, nana looks like she's having a siezure.

:phone:

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
so I've been working on the desyncs that kakera uses, mainly the one where he dashes back then forward having nana blizzard while popo does whatever. I can't figure out how he does the dash back the forward with ice block instead of blizzard, is the timing the same as the blizzard one or is it different? any advice is greatly appreciated :D
Get a vid, mark the time and I can tell you.

Most likely a delayed dash dance.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Frame-wise, yes it's identical. During the end lag frames of your lead climber's dash you can do any move that can be done out of dash and cannot cancel dash end lag and only Nana will do it. The timing feels different for the different specials, though.

Note: The spacing on the blizzard to actually use this as a setup is tricky.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure cheese knows what I'm talking about, but heres a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXMf5Cf-W5Y

at 0:17 he has nana do the dash back forth IB. I can do it with blizzard no problem but I haven't gotten the ice block once :/
For what you're talking about, blizzard definitely has the same timing as IB, without the added trouble of making sure you don't crouch with Popo too long and have him end up missing the next input. Because of this, I find IB to be easier. Just practice for like 5 minutes, if you can do blizzard, you can do IB.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I havent gotten on smashboards in awhile, has there been any new useful techniques IC discoveries in the past 3 or 4 months?
Search the last 3/4 months of the IC Forum and read. Desync Theory thread has a pretty good list, but it requires reading and an intermediate knowledge of IC de/sync mechanics.

actually one more question, what chain grab do you find easiest on snake?
Dthrow > Dthrow > Fthrow > Fthrow > repeat until get close to edge > If flat level smobble/ If janky terrain Bthrow > Repeat

Split stick desyncs new.
Hold In attack, walk slightly and c-stick smash in the other directionfrom walking. Popo chrages his smash, nana looks like she's having a siezure.

1. It's not new. It was discovered in May 2010ish
2. That is a terrible explanation on how to do it and also not the ideal way to perform it

Please avoid giving out faulty info in the Q&A thread please.

I'm pretty sure cheese knows what I'm talking about, but heres a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXMf5Cf-W5Y

at 0:17 he has nana do the dash back forth IB. I can do it with blizzard no problem but I haven't gotten the ice block once :/
Are you shield dropping like in the video? That might explain why you can't get Nana to IB. I imagine you're probably having trouble because you're either making Popo IB or they both do it.

You might be trying to do the Non- Shield drop version, which has a much more specific timing. And then the difference between blizzard and IB uses in the non shield drop would effectively have Blizzard be easier than IB, assuming you buffer crouch over a buffered blizzard.

It's hard to tell since they are so closely related and I don't want to get into specific mechanics in this post since it's kind of confusing on how it works

DeLux

Ok. Shield drop with Popo instead of hitting IB.

Then IB with Nana

I win

DeLux

Does anybody have any video of Sopo Single Banana Locking a Diddy?

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Does anybody have any video of Sopo Single Banana Locking a Diddy?
I don't have one recorded, but it's certainly possible because I've done it. I'm not particularly consistent with it, though.

I could try and record one if you want, but a full stock is hard.

lain

Smash Master
ICE CLIMBERS ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD

but seriously, this character ****ing sucks. My SINCERE advice to EVERYONE is to drop them immediately and never look back.

DeLux

No

Every character in this game is stupidly broken in some way.

Except Bowser. He is officially Smash Lab approved not broken for competitive play.

lain

Smash Master
THEN YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

naw but seriously. with MK still legal, I see basically no point in playing IC's anymore.

Prawn

Smash Master
THEN YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

naw but seriously. with MK still legal, I see basically no point in playing IC's anymore.
basically this

you'll never beat a top level mk with ics unless youre stupidly broken(like lain) AND a bit lucky

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
basically this

you'll never beat a top level mk with ics unless youre stupidly broken(like lain) AND a bit lucky
Lol this is just wrong. I've beaten tyrant/ally/dojo's mk's in tournament and have a positive record with pretty much every mk I've played in tournament except some I've only played once. What mk's does lain lose to...m2k? lol MK is just easier and does better against snake/diddy than IC's do. It's not about fighting mk.

DeLux

imo, Ice Climbers are retardedly broken

If I didn't sit there in tournament and drop literally 5-10 grabs a set, I can't think of a person or character that I felt like, "My character is horrendously at a disadvantage here."

Well actually, the only time I ever felt like that was against G&W (TearBear because he has a broken every character) on Rainbow Cruise and MK (anyone) on Brinstar.

Maybe against Nicole's Peach but she was nice enough to sit there for like 10 games and practice with me a month ago so now I don't feel that bad in the matchup anymore. On certain days I feel like that against ROB, but those are usually poor desync execution days for me because ROB is ****ing ridiculous to play my style of climbers against so I think it's me getting outplayed.

@Hylian - I would think you would like the Diddy matchup. Item Desyncs in that matchup are broken. And you can't tell me the snake matchup is that bad. The way you and I setup and play, I watched you grab snake like 10 times (which should have been stocks), which I also do on a regular basis. He's not a "bad" matchup anymore. Even at worst imo, advantage if you know how to make your desync game tight (LD2 is so broken in this matchup) and don't use bad things like dash dance desyncs that take too much space and if you understand/abuse nade mechanics. Learn to CG to smobble and you'll be 2/3stocking snake like it's a job.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
basically this

Happy belated Birthday Prawn, since I don't see you anywhere.

Also @ Hylian
Icies beat Diddy, anything Diddy can do with bananas, Icies can do (except dash attack into naners safely). Plus we have so many more tricks with them that give us guaranteed grabs and such.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Nah, lain does better stuff then me, he's a lot more consistent, I just take big names when I practice a ton.

Also, I never said Ic's get ***** by diddy or snake, I said that mk does better against them. He also does better against marth/wario so it's generally better to use mk because he's better at those match-ups. I think that's what lain's getting at, no point in playing ic's when you have to play a different character on their cp anyways and other characters do better against the top tiers.

I think IC's vs Diddy is even, but the match-up is a lot easier for diddy which tends to sway the match-up in diddys favor. Diddy has a lot of safe options against IC's, IC's options rely on extremely good timing and stage control making it a lot harder for them. I am amazing with items and love playing against diddy's lol, but I'm not biased towards ic's because I'm good at the match-up, I've played adhd and gnes plenty and know what diddy can do it's a very scary match-up on both sides.

@rubberbandman: Ic's only have one trick that really gives you a guaranteed grab, everything else is reads off DI or putting them into a bad stage position.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Theirs no one above you.

I trololol the forums. That is all.
If I need help with something I'm serious about it.
I'll be serious when I'm in a match.
But these boards are in some serious need of relaxing.
It IS a game after all >.>

DeLux

The Rules for Posting[/U][/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

1. Post here if you have a question. Be as specific as possible.

2. If you are unsure if something has been found post here before creating a new thread.

3. If you need help with anything from beating a certain character to performing an AT, post here

4. No flaming will be tolerated. Many useless questions may be asked but they are more than welcome here than in an entirely new thread.

5. Ice Climber players will respond in a timely matter with great answers that will address the specific question asked. If the question or discovery has been previously answered in an important and up to date thread, we reserve the right to redirect you to that thread where the answer is located.

6. Questions will be answered with some substance and detail to help the questionnaire understand why that answer is the correct answer to his or her question.

7. More than one question is allowed at one time. The Ice Climber boards will do their best to cover all questions asked as according to the rules.

8. Debates between responders are acceptable and arguing is not. Know the difference.

9. If two people have the same question at the same time or at different times. we will do our best to address each individual person. and their situation.

10. Do not post the same question over and over if you are the same person. Learn from the answers we give you and improve. If you have a different question, you are more than welcome to come back and ask.

11. Trust our knowledge. If you ask a question you will get a great and correct answer from good Ice Climber players, We know Ice Climbers better than you do so trust that our answer is correct.

12. It is recommended you quote the person you are responding to.

13. Only respond if you know the answer.

14. Ice Climber players have lives. We are sorry if we cannot answer your question right away. We will get to it as soon as possible. Even if we have to research.

15. If all else fails, you always have the search forum. http://www.smashboards.com/search.php

16. You can also check out the FAQ. Just scroll down.

17. These are not permanent rules. Should the rules need editing, I will do so if enough people petition for it.

Rules 1, 6, 13

Especially Rule 13, Mr. Game and Watch. If you want to talk about random crap, keep it to the social. If you have a legit IC question, then post it here.

If you keep spamming this thread, people are going to stop helping you. I realize you like the attention, but get your attention from the appropriate thread please.

lain

Smash Master
Yeah you basically got it Hylian.

I mean I'm just tired of playing the SAME GAME every time I play someone. If the opponent is good and/or scared, they'll platform camp and do it HARD. It's just annoying, I'd like to play Brawl please.

Yes, I only seem to have trouble with M2K and Ally in their respective character departments, but THAT'S what always gets me. I'm tired of losing to those ******s at nationals lol.

DeLux

Speaking of the MK matchup and it being the same thing every time, I have a question for Lain, Hylian, Cheese, and maybe Smoom:

What options do we have against a grounded shuttle loop on shield?

More specifically, what options do we have if they grounded shuttle loop on our shield while we're both beneath a platform and have the move loop above the platform?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Speaking of the MK matchup and it being the same thing every time, I have a question for Lain, Hylian, Cheese, and maybe Smoom:

What options do we have against a grounded shuttle loop on shield?

More specifically, what options do we have if they grounded shuttle loop on our shield while we're both beneath a platform and have the move loop above the platform?
Grounded shuttle loop gives you a free uair, even if they glide attack it will clank and the second uair will hit them if you time it right. Generally they just get uaired no matter what though. You can also follow then and try to get a grab off their landing but I wouldn't recommended it because they can cancel the sl faster than you can react to it.

If they do it to me on a platform I just drop through the platform after to get in a better position.

Hey while were at it, hylian is dojo good at the ic mu? I'm scares to fight him in tourney. And razer.

Last time I played dojo he beat me on final d consistently lol. He's one of the best players in the nation, he's good at every match-up.

Top Bottom