• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Just a small nitpick: Shield buffering is not required to bthrow->dthrow CG every character so there are quite a few characters that can't mash out of that CG. To answer your question though it is entirely possible to buffer bthrow->fthrow in a way that it's not mashable, while there are a few characters that will have frames in which they CAN input struggle inputs, they won't be able to mash out.

Again, a small nitpick: Characters nearing the lighter end of the roster (MK, Kirby, Jiggz and some others but I haven't looked them up) have a few mashable frames. However, to a point it's not practical to expect them to mash out if you're if you keep an optimal pace.
Thanks for answering!
I asked because there's currently an ENORMOUS discussion going on in the Alabama thread about ICs and many of them believed it was impossible to mash out of a CG. I told them that they would almost always have frames in which they could mash out, but on a few of their characters, I'd be able to make it nearly impossible to mash out once I got started.

I was of course referring to those character whom I b-throw to f-throw chain grab.
It's kind of weird; I'm selective about who I use this on. O.o
Like, I use it on Pikachu, Marth, Lucario, ZSS, Jigglypuff, and Yoshi. And probably a few others that I can't think of.
There is no rhyme or reason to their weight, or anything. Those are just the ones I use it on.
I assume the lighter of those - Pika, ZSS, and Jiggs - can mash out?

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Jiggz can mash out of anything.

I'm trying to use rest as a counter/superarmor for moves now.
Once i get the timing, it'll be so epic. Superamor an attack with rest?
Maybe even hit the opponent?

****'s sick.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Thanks for answering!
I asked because there's currently an ENORMOUS discussion going on in the Alabama thread about ICs and many of them believed it was impossible to mash out of a CG. I told them that they would almost always have frames in which they could mash out, but on a few of their characters, I'd be able to make it nearly impossible to mash out once I got started.

I was of course referring to those character whom I b-throw to f-throw chain grab.
It's kind of weird; I'm selective about who I use this on. O.o
Like, I use it on Pikachu, Marth, Lucario, ZSS, Jigglypuff, and Yoshi. And probably a few others that I can't think of.
There is no rhyme or reason to their weight, or anything. Those are just the ones I use it on.
I assume the lighter of those - Pika, ZSS, and Jiggs - can mash out?
This is the somewhat confusing part and this is why I along with Lux believe that IC players really shouldn't worry about mashing. Mashing out doesn't always equate to the grab being broken. And here's why:

Say you grab someone at 0%, the person being grabbed starts with a duration of 90 frames (One and a half seconds). Considering they are the perfect masher then they meet the mashing out requirement by frame 5.3 (actions can happen in between frames which is why I put that decimal). However they won't break the grab at that time. At the minimum a character must remain in a grab for 20 frames (21 frames in the case of Pikachu).

What this means is that you have at least 1/3 of a second guaranteed to input your next throw. You don't need to get to the point that your grabs are frame perfect, just get to where you can get your throws out within a 1/3 of a second (20 frames) and you'll be fine.

The only exceptions to this rule are if you grab a character too close to a wall or extremely steep incline, or if a stage transition causes the floor beneath you to disappear or drop off rapidly.

TL;DR: With an optimal CG rate, no character on the roster should be able to break the CG unless interrupted by some stage element.

On a somewhat related note, since you had mentioned shield buffering in your previous question, while answering it I stumbled on something that pretty much nullifies the risk of being mashed out on due to shield-buffering at the lower percents. I haven't worked out all of the details but I'll post something later once family and college business clears.

Jiggz can mash out of anything.
No, see above explanation. Besides, even if that 20 frame mechanic wasn't present or if the idea of nullifying shield-buffering frames wasn't present, I was literal when I said it'd be impractical for characters like Jigglypuff, MK, Kirby, etc. Jigglypuf only has 3 frames to input struggle inputs assuming the IC player has frame perfect CGing with maximized space correction.

I'm trying to use rest as a counter/superarmor for moves now.
Once i get the timing, it'll be so epic. Superamor an attack with rest?
Maybe even hit the opponent?

****'s sick.
What good would Superarmoring an attack with Rest do though? If you hit your opponent in the process it'd be worth it, but if you don't then basically you just ate some damage and left yourself open for a fully charged smash or even worse depending on the opposing character. Basically the only use it would be of to you is against opponents whose attacks' hitboxes are comprised of their hurtbox as well.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
This is the somewhat confusing part and this is why I along with Lux believe that IC players really shouldn't worry about mashing. Mashing out doesn't always equate to the grab being broken. And here's why:

Say you grab someone at 0%, the person being grabbed starts with a duration of 90 frames (One and a half seconds). Considering they are the perfect masher then they meet the mashing out requirement by frame 5.3 (actions can happen in between frames which is why I put that decimal). However they won't break the grab at that time. At the minimum a character must remain in a grab for 20 frames (21 frames in the case of Pikachu).

What this means is that you have at least 1/3 of a second guaranteed to input your next throw. You don't need to get to the point that your grabs are frame perfect, just get to where you can get your throws out within a 1/3 of a second (20 frames) and you'll be fine.

The only exceptions to this rule are if you grab a character too close to a wall or extremely steep incline, or if a stage transition causes the floor beneath you to disappear or drop off rapidly.

TL;DR: With an optimal CG rate, no character on the roster should be able to break the CG unless interrupted by some stage element.

On a somewhat related note, since you had mentioned shield buffering in your previous question, while answering it I stumbled on something that pretty much nullifies the risk of being mashed out on due to shield-buffering at the lower percents. I haven't worked out all of the details but I'll post something later once family and college business clears.
Wow, that's pretty cool, so what you just told me is that even the fastest mashers using that new technique found by K Prime still are GUARANTEED 20 frames in the grab?
That's why I love Ice Climbers. Most awesome metagame ever.

And okay, looking forward to this solution to being mashed out at lower percents.

B0NK

Smash Lord
^^^ Same

Some people were already using it and some could mash just as fast without changing the d-pad controls way before he released it.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Actually on the contrary, the KPrime Mashing Technique was revolutionary, not because of the speed of mashing but the mechanics that the technique was derived from are going to fundamentally change how you should look at a lot of the game and how you input things

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Hey guys, just wanted to know something for the Diddy match-up.
Is it more important to have control of his bananas, or to have control over the ground?
For example, is it more important to try and keep IBs sliding along the ground to stop any banana approaches, or is it more important to try and grab the bananas and use them for desynchs and as setups for grabs?

If someone would even type up a summary of the Diddy MU, I'd be eternally grateful. I really wanna win this tournament Saturday!

B0NK

Smash Lord
Actually on the contrary, the KPrime Mashing Technique was revolutionary, not because of the speed of mashing but the mechanics that the technique was derived from are going to fundamentally change how you should look at a lot of the game and how you input things
Never thought of it that way... coo! :D

Roller

Smash Legend
I hear the KPrime Fox technique was revolutionary.

:yeahboi:

DeLux

Hey guys, just wanted to know something for the Diddy match-up.
Is it more important to have control of his bananas, or to have control over the ground?
For example, is it more important to try and keep IBs sliding along the ground to stop any banana approaches, or is it more important to try and grab the bananas and use them for desynchs and as setups for grabs?

If someone would even type up a summary of the Diddy MU, I'd be eternally grateful. I really wanna win this tournament Saturday!
By controlling the Bananas, you control the ground. I don't think it's a or sort of binary that you seem to have constructed in your head.

If there are no bananas out, it's time for you to play aggro with desync setups. IC setups > Diddy w/o Banana in terms of ground control. Most Diddy's will jump off stage or do some crazy stuff to pull Banana's because of the threat of a grab. If you can jam the Banana pulls by Nairing where the Banana gets pulled toward, you just won half the battle.

If you get a Banana, don't throw it away. Holding on to it and doing item desyncs is VERY option limiting in the matchup. Diddy's options against ICs without Banana's are pretty terrible. Go to training mode and get familiar with JC Item toss mechanics and be sure to compare how frame traps differ between a hard item toss and a soft item toss

If you get hit by a banana, do whatever grab evading technique you can with the second climber (jab/getup attack, Blizzard/rollaway are two of my favorite). The main way they separate is with a Banana trip and grab. When that happens, Nana is getting meteored like it's the end of the world. Obviously sometimes this can't be avoided because Diddy has such good item control compared to us.

This is like, the epitome of an even matchup and easily my favorite :)

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
If nana is close enough to the edge when he goes to spike her, you can always throw out an Up B to fetch her. Its also very likely to go unpunished because of the lag on Dair + Recovering back > lag on Up B.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If nana is close enough to the edge when he goes to spike her, you can always throw out an Up B to fetch her. Its also very likely to go unpunished because of the lag on Dair + Recovering back > lag on Up B.
This is very good advice, I do this against pretty much every good diddy I play and it makes the bthrow-spike that diddy has on nana basically non-existent.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm still having problems doing aerial lag desynchs, the only one I can get semi consistently is bair. Anyone got tipsies (like visual cues or timing), especially on nair/uair? Those would create some pretty good landing traps imo and add a lot more opportunity for me.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I'm still having problems doing aerial lag desynchs, the only one I can get semi consistently is bair. Anyone got tipsies (like visual cues or timing), especially on nair/uair? Those would create some pretty good landing traps imo and add a lot more opportunity for me.
Well for me, I usually buffer it out, because its really hard to hit confirm lag desynchs with anything that isn't UpAir. Maybe I'm just ********.

DeLux

Well tbh, I'm not exactly sure how hitlag desyncs work when both climbers make contact with a move

I have an educated guess, but nothing particularly beneficial in terms of helping execution. Adding in landing makes it more confusing.

Until someone (I vote ealert) looks into it, it'll probably be a "by feel" sort of thing

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
My IB won't reset my opponet when I'm hobbeling.
But I got the footstool down.
My squall resets him tho, and I can get the regrab, but he can mash out before nana finishes squall to do it again.

DeLux

Who are you trying to hobble and what stage are you hobbling on and what throw are you using to hobble?

DON'T use squall, it doesn't work

DeLux

You might be footstooling too late after the bthrow

Mash jump for Nana faster

Or you might be Ice blocking too slowly after the footstool

Mash IB as soon as the footstool hits

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I made a video of this I just did to rob on accident.
Put him on about 22% and make him grab the ledge. Make ICs (doesn't work with sopo) run off the stage and bair him off the ledge, and fair.
You'll hit him but it won't sweetspot.
This is probably known, but might as well check.
If you can find a way for it to sweet spot the fair and we can study with other characters, this would kill at low percents, though it's not likely you'll hit rob off the ledge in a possible 3 percent range from 21-23...

DeLux

Good question DeLux.

I was talking to Toomai earlier today, and he pulled two different numbers revolving around belay mechanics in terms of IGUs

He pulled two numbers: 25 and 70. So yes, if my guess is correct, Nana will warp to you from 70 IGUs and they sync pull begins around 25 IGUs

I also learned that Squall operates on LD1 mechanics and is not an LD2 exception. However, this can be manipulated if you reversal the move ahead of time so you no longer need to halt your squall movement before it's over in order to squall desync assuming you know what direction you want to setup out of squall

DeLux

Don't hobble ZSS. She's anorexic and if you don't space the hobble correctly the IB goes over her. ZSS is broken.

Why are you hobbling on the carpets when they can SD off of them?

B0NK

Smash Lord
hmmm... correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the moving carpet effect the spacing of the hobble???

Like how grab release and other things are effected by it.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Someone explain to me how the Peach MU works.

I got STOMPED by a Peach main, then did great against Player-1's Diddy.
Kinda salty at myself for dropping like 10 grabs PER GAME but.

ANYWAYS, Peach. WAT DO?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Someone explain to me how the Peach MU works.

I got STOMPED by a Peach main, then did great against Player-1's Diddy.
Kinda salty at myself for dropping like 10 grabs PER GAME but.

ANYWAYS, Peach. WAT DO?
Ask SMOOM, he plays Illin the most and knows the peach MU the best.

Roller

Smash Legend
Don't hobble ZSS. She's anorexic and if you don't space the hobble correctly the IB goes over her. ZSS is broken.

Why are you hobbling on the carpets when they can SD off of them?
Oh, because I was drinking blue gatorade at the time. Thanks for all the help guys!!! I really needed it. That problem keeps happening to me..

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Just saying delux is right. dont hobble zss unless you got good timing with the IB. and ban RC against her. shes really good there if she runs away

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Just saying delux is right. dont hobble zss unless you got good timing with the IB. and ban RC against her. shes really good there if she runs away
Well, Brinstar is even worse of a choice to allow, since she has so many tricksies there to abuse. The only up side is that she has a 50% chance of losing all but one armor piece, but she'll most likely only use 1 or 2 against you to begin with.

EDIT: @ GnW Explain. You cant bthrow -> dthrow or something?

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I can't get the grab from the bthrow.
I can against most of the cast, bthrow with popo and catch the opponet with nana, but on mk, I bthrow with popo and nana grabs air.
I tried to soft turn it, pivot it, dash grab it, play with the timing.
Could never grab him again.
So bthrow is just bthrow, and not a chain in any way.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Well, Brinstar is even worse of a choice to allow, since she has so many tricksies there to abuse. The only up side is that she has a 50% chance of losing all but one armor piece, but she'll most likely only use 1 or 2 against you to begin with.

EDIT: @ GnW Explain. You cant bthrow -> dthrow or something?
true but no its not as hard as rainbow cruise you be surpised. she may be harder then mk. "my proff behind that is that top mk players in my state only one stock me there or lose 2stock to me there so far" But i dont understand all tricks she has there. Could you enlighten me? :) (being dead serious btw)

B0NK

Smash Lord
I think ZSS is much better on RC...

Either way it's going to be tough though =/

*thinks either RC or Brinstar shouldn't be legal*

More so Brinstar... it makes no sense to me why it's legal >.>

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
true but no its not as hard as rainbow cruise you be surpised. she may be harder then mk. "my proff behind that is that top mk players in my state only one stock me there or lose 2stock to me there so far" But i dont understand all tricks she has there. Could you enlighten me? :) (being dead serious btw)
Can refresh her 2 kill moves there (repeated jabs to the stage sides are really easy), can extend hitbox duration of Dsmash/Side B with sides, wall jumping shenanigans in the breakable center of the stage, armor pieces bouncing off breakable center of the stage to keep them there and its hitbox active.

Also, its just really ****ing hard to gimp her there because of the acid/lava/whatever you wanna call it.

Top Bottom