• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GENESIS July 10th-12th. ALL NEW INFO ON THE FIRST PAGE! TWITTER INFORMATION!! 7/7/09

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
housing is priority for OOS. you're not OOS. also, no one is going to commit to you when the calendar hasn't even turned yet.

some clueless people ITT

The King

Smash Ace
***Concerning Crew Battles***; Here is what we have currently working both for & against crew battles:

Pros:
-They're ****ing epic. The word "epic" itself even fails to describe just how amazing it is to pit one crew against another, whether it be simply crews of friends, Regional Crews (socal vs norcal for ex.), National Regionals (WC vs EC for ex.), or even International Crews (depending on interest from out-of-US smashers). And at an event this big, they're sure to never be forgotten.
-If supported, we will easily be within our budget to arrange for some really cool prizes, whether cash / merchandise / nostalgic memorabilia / trophies / etc, for the winners.

"Cons":
-The main issue with directly supporting them comes from a mix of time contraints and setup constraints. With 4 gigantic main events to run in the course of 2 days (2.5 depending on if we begin pool matches Friday evening), this really leaves us with little time to run them except on Friday. Granted, we're going to crunch every mathematical bracket configuration we can to provide the most efficient pools/brackets, but odds are we'll need to start at least some of the pools matches on Friday.
--------------------
Hence, depending on the number of setups we will be able to provide, this will possibly cut into Friendlies allocations throughout friday. We're aware that there is great support for both Regional Crews, as well as Individual Crews. So should we decide to formally support Crews, this is probably what will happen:

*We would need to start Individual Crews first, and early (around noon-ish on Friday). This would consist of something like self-made 5-man crews, playing against other crews in a Single-Elimination Bracket. And because we're supporting two different games at this event...we would need to simultaneously run crews for BOTH Melee and Brawl...which creates a lot of issues as far as the Players are concerned.

*We would need to start Regional Crews second, most likely late-evening. This would probably consist of 4 major regions: WC, MW, EC, and South teams. This would probably be double-elimation, with 2 crew battles occurring simultaneously. Again, we would have to support both Brawl AND Melee Regional Crew Battles, and possibly run them simultaneously due to time constraints.

**Our Rough Draft stance on the issue**

As you can see, many problems arise from attempting to run multiple different crew battles for multiple titles in one day. What we would like to do is this:
-We can "formally" support Regional Crews for both Brawl and Melee. These teams would need to be formed prior to the tournament date. We would also begin Crew Battles relatively early on Friday, most likely around Noon, so people would definitely need to arrive on time when the doors open and Registration begins.
-We can "informally" support Individual Crews. What does this mean? It means that, while we probably would not be able to run brackets, we can still set aside and reserve between 2-4 Melee/Brawl setups throughout Friday for the sole purpose of giving Crews a chance to play and compete against other crews.

This stance is subject to change, and we will be trying our best to accomodate everyone, but due to very real time & setup constraints, this is looking like the best solution we will be able to provide. Remember, "constraint" is a relative term. 40-50 setups is still a squeeze when there's a good chance we'll have 400+ smashers there =).

King Out

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
Hey people. Sherigami here. Your beloved, cherished little kid who spams in every way.

And I need a ride.

Can I possibly get a ride far in advance from someone? I will pay gas money up front so you don't need to ask for it, and if you want me to, I won't say anything the entire trip! So what do you say, socal? Help a kiddy out, will ya?

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
i can only hope. I just don't want to be in the situation I am in now again. I don't like not being able to go to a great tourney by virtue of not planning ahead.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I'm all for regional crews (don't care much for Individual crews) but I also love the idea of having an entire day devoted just for friendlies. Regional crews seems fine simply because those who don't participate can continue to enjoy friendlies and/or watch the crews take place.

Individual crews seem like a waste of time though TBH since it's going to cut into the time we have in playing friendlies (especially since not everyone is planning on participating in crews).

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
I'm all for regional crews (don't care much for Individual crews) but I also love the idea of having an entire day devoted just for friendlies. Regional crews seems fine simply because those who don't participate can continue to enjoy friendlies and/or watch the crews take place.

Individual crews seem like a waste of time though TBH since it's going to cut into the time we have in playing friendlies (especially since not everyone is planning on participating in crews).
:ditto: x

HugeHo

Smash Cadet
soooooooo, how is WC gonna decide who gets into the WC crew? Tryouts?
Just curious.
Tryouts were done back in FC3 and it was a terrible idea.

The WC will just KNOW who they should use. Ideally a captain will be selected and that person will have a good idea of who to use.

EDIT: Ok this isn't 100% certain, so don't try to hold me to it, but I plan to only play melee at this event.

The King

Smash Ace
Yeah, as far as the regional teams go, each reason to its own. However they want to decide upon a team is their business. I think for OC2 it was basically, Ken (captain) made all the decisions as to who will be on the team. I for one would support something like 5 captain picks, and 5 community votes (assuming 10v10 crew battles).

Rofl hugo. You know when you step into that building, and see 40 dozen smashers (not to mention sitting idle for half a 3-day tourney) you're gonna whip out that ROB and wreck brackets. =)

HugeHo

Smash Cadet
Yeah, as far as the regional teams go, each reason to its own. However they want to decide upon a team is their business. I think for OC2 it was basically, Ken (captain) made all the decisions as to who will be on the team. I for one would support something like 5 captain picks, and 5 community votes (assuming 10v10 crew battles).

Rofl hugo. You know when you step into that building, and see 40 dozen smashers (not to mention sitting idle for half a 3-day tourney) you're gonna whip out that ROB and wreck brackets. =)
Yeah i know man. But you know how taxing it is to play both games? Maybe since it's on different days I'll be able to manage both. That's why I'm making no promises.

I just want to be on top of my melee game for this.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Yeah i know man. But you know how taxing it is to play both games? Maybe since it's on different days I'll be able to manage both. That's why I'm making no promises.

I just want to be on top of my melee game for this.
I love you <3
(no homo)

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Regional Crews only. Individual crews is a waste of time.

I plan on being a unanimous choice for West Coast's crew by that time =)

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I want crews so badly

Mango
Lucky
Zhu
HugS
P? (I really would not be surprised if you know what I mean haha)
SS
Tang
KaMaster
Eggz
SHH!
DJ Combo
where's pink shinobi at? we need diversity.

fmf should also be in there and lunin. i think lunin and tang are pretty **** close, its just that they excel at different match ups (mitchell ***** peaches, but lunin does a lot better against falco/falcon).

Top Bottom