• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
or you know, they could just come for the chance to win money

georgia sucks for smash bros.
1) no one wants to travel
2) everyone is lazy
3) those who are not lazy are too young or do not have cars
4) we have no regular tournament series to maintain skill level

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Well, in the matter, you have to use money in order to have a chance at getting more money. But I see your reasoning, to a definite extent.

1. True, at least, people don't like traveling a lot. If you're like me, you dislike even 40 minute rides for small/mid sized tournaments. Then again, gas is not cheap. This could be an easy reason why people don't want to travel.

2. Some people actually want to go to tournaments, and put forth an effort, but just find themselves with an excuse for not being able to attend. (Take me for example) It also feels kind of sad to hear that over half of our state's smash community is online, and has never thought of going to a tournament because it was to far and it would take too much effort. That could define laziness or just a laisse faire attitude when it comes to our scene's activity. Some could not care less.

3. True. Still enough, some just don't want to attend.

4. We do enough with what we have. Ever since Waba stopped, we've been searching for someplace to call GA's Smash point; I believe GX could be that place, but I can't say so alone. Needs time and participation, and from the looks of our current community, we're lacking a bit in the latter.

Apologies to impose, but we're going to get more members active within this community. One way or another. Oh darn, I'm babbling. Sorry.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I only got well known off of wifi originally, I hardly play it anymore. Scatt didn't play THAT much wifi either, neither does he now.

disasterABDUL

Smash Ace
or you know, they could just come for the chance to win money

georgia sucks for smash bros.
1) no one wants to travel
2) everyone is lazy
3) those who are not lazy are too young or do not have cars
4) we have no regular tournament series to maintain skill level
I agree with most of this, especially 4
not saying just tournaments, but some sort of way where we can get together and play on a consistent basis, but everyone is busy and its relatively difficult to find a place where everyone can get together like such.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i would outplace oos people if i didnt have to play dyno all the time

who the one day i had this feeling that i was going to win vs his wario, he goes mk

:(

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
who the one day i had this feeling that i was going to win vs his wario, he goes mk

:(
I've never switched off of Ike when my opponent went MK. I feel really stupid, since I get decimated offstage. I'm trying to keep straight Ike in competitive this season. Would do me some definite good, but it's going to be tough.

I also need details on this weeks upcoming Smashfest. I should be able to make it.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Guys GA's actually pretty good in my eyes as far as potential goes. For 2-3 years our players have played with probably some of the least competitive characters and still have put up a fight. Now our scene is like the ****ing Miami Heat. Our Big 3 picked up better characters with the hopes of placing better and further both out of state and in state. It's a working process and will eventually take off.

As far as people outisde of our "Big 3" we're very inconsistent which is dope imo. It shows improvement that our state's players are trying their hardest to out do each other and show what they've got. It's very admirable, but when it comes to OoS people those people need to step it up and AT LEAST take a game off to show we have something.

Population is another thing we're trying to mold. I've always thought our smash scene was or Brawl rather was building rather than settled and looking for more people. Sleepy told me this has always been the case, even for melee. Reason being, like Zatch said rides, age, parents. We need a central place to play the game competitively. I think GX is willing to do this with us so that's our shot. We've shown potential that we can get up to like 60+ just instate lets just go for it.

PS: Tbh, the best drive for competition is Money period. If we step our money up for our tourney's our players will not only play harder, but defend it too when other states think they can just run over us and take it.

Player-1

Smash Legend
are you talking about top 3 as in Reflex? or me? Cuz you know, I dropped diddy for boozer and all and I know boozer is a better character, but I haven't played any tournament sets yet.

but if you were talking about reflex then me and scatt place consistently still we just haven't gone OoS yet, but now that I graduated I'll go to a few. Micaelis is always consistent at locals, but not much OoS. And Chas has done fairly well OoS, but is still inconsistent.

allshort17

Smash Ace
I believe that if you want to increase the population of the brawl community in Georgia we should go on the websites were online brawl is played (AIB) and announce tournaments to the Georgia players in the chat rooms. Now, there are 6 Georgia players in the free play room that could be at something like smash or die if we just message them about it.

Plus, rides help. People need them like um, I don't know, Player-1.

P.S. I can't give you a ride Player-1.

SleepyK

Well, in the matter, you have to use money in order to have a chance at getting more money. But I see your reasoning, to a definite extent.

1. True, at least, people don't like traveling a lot. If you're like me, you dislike even 40 minute rides for small/mid sized tournaments. Then again, gas is not cheap. This could be an easy reason why people don't want to travel.

this is the problem. tournaments STAY small/mid sized because people don't go to them. if you want your community to grow, you have to show up, even if they're small.

2. Some people actually want to go to tournaments, and put forth an effort, but just find themselves with an excuse for not being able to attend. (Take me for example) It also feels kind of sad to hear that over half of our state's smash community is online, and has never thought of going to a tournament because it was to far and it would take too much effort. That could define laziness or just a laisse faire attitude when it comes to our scene's activity. Some could not care less.
idk, i lied to my very strict asian parents and went out of state (all the way to connecticut and other east coast states).

hell, i even racked my credit card up to the limit for tournaments before i had a job.

effort johns

3. True. Still enough, some just don't want to attend.
yeah because they don't understand that there's no prestige whatsoever for playing in online tournaments. especially when all the money is in offline.

4. We do enough with what we have. Ever since Waba stopped, we've been searching for someplace to call GA's Smash point; I believe GX could be that place, but I can't say so alone. Needs time and participation, and from the looks of our current community, we're lacking a bit in the latter.

Apologies to impose, but we're going to get more members active within this community. One way or another. Oh darn, I'm babbling. Sorry.
even with waba, my 1-3 reasons kept our tournaments small.

I agree with most of this, especially 4
not saying just tournaments, but some sort of way where we can get together and play on a consistent basis, but everyone is busy and its relatively difficult to find a place where everyone can get together like such.

it's honestly not a matter of "people are busy" because it would honestly not be difficult for the brawlers to set aside a time where they would all meet up, maybe biweekly or triweekly (provided they had a venue), but reasons 1-3 (money as well if i didn't mention it) keep them from doing so even if we have smashfests.

I believe that if you want to increase the population of the brawl community in Georgia we should go on the websites were online brawl is played (AIB) and announce tournaments to the Georgia players in the chat rooms. Now, there are 6 Georgia players in the free play room that could be at something like smash or die if we just message them about it.

Plus, rides help. People need them like um, I don't know, Player-1.

P.S. I can't give you a ride Player-1.
no, they don't care.
watch tom brady's exposee on the DOA and MK9 communities and how the online players only care about online and you'll see that it would take more than chatting to persuade them to get off their soapboxes of manure.

i have much more to say on this subject but i'll bring up my reasonings if people want to hear them

Player-1

Smash Legend
=(

yeah we've tried to get the AiB community involved before but we only get responses like:
"GA sucks"
"Too far"
"Why go offline if I can just play online"
"I'm not going to place well why waste the money"

but yeah i need rides bros

allshort17

Smash Ace
[/color]

no, they don't care.
watch tom brady's exposee on the DOA and MK9 communities and how the online players only care about online and you'll see that it would take more than chatting to persuade them to get off their soapboxes of manure.
Some do care. Like me. I'm a wifi player trying to be offline. I just didn't know about for a long time. And it wouldn't hurt to try.

BTW, the Tom Brady videos are the stuff.

DRN

Smash Lord
@Zatch- GX wasnt a bad place but thats not a place that could replace Waba or be a regular smash area for tourneys. It is way to small and is going to get cramped w/ more then 20 ppl. Player-1 was doing a good job w/ the SALT series but sadly we cannot use that for the time being so we need to find some place new and open.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Oh btw, I did talk to one wifi player on AiB and he said he'd try to go to SoD since it was closer, just sayin'.

Yeah, I won't get that venue back until late July, once I get my license/car I might go venue searching to find one since the church was going to start charging us anyway and try to find a better place/deal, Zeke said that a friend of his was considering it (it was at like some yoga place or something 2 minutes from my house so that venue should be big) so I might talk to him. Zeke went to boot camp until July so I can't really talk to him until he gets back, but I can try to speed up the process if I go talk to the guy sooner.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Why do I feel like there's 2 different problems going on right now? lol

People want our community to get better in skill and protect home better as far as wins go.

and on the other hand

People want our community to grow in population.

Both serve one or the other tbh lol. Many wifi kids have said our state sucks as if there were someone really good it'd inspire them to go. Because they'd meet someone famous or something. While @ the same time our regulars want our state to improve in skill and population. We gotta focus on 1 thing @ a time.

GX being too small sounds problematic, which is sad seeing that I was hoping to see a lot more than our casuals after frequent events. It's location imo, IMO is the best place for us because it's near the metro. I hate hearing how kids that are surrounded by buses and what not can't make it to things when there's a ****ing bus or marta provided lol.

SleepyK

Why do I feel like there's 2 different problems going on right now? lol

People want our community to get better in skill and protect home better as far as wins go.

and on the other hand

People want our community to grow in population.

Both serve one or the other tbh lol. Many wifi kids have said our state sucks as if there were someone really good it'd inspire them to go. Because they'd meet someone famous or something. While @ the same time our regulars want our state to improve in skill and population. We gotta focus on 1 thing @ a time.

GX being too small sounds problematic, which is sad seeing that I was hoping to see a lot more than our casuals after frequent events. It's location imo, IMO is the best place for us because it's near the metro. I hate hearing how kids that are surrounded by buses and what not can't make it to things when there's a ****ing bus or marta provided lol.
because there's more than 2 problems

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I could probably hold smashfests at my house on whatever days I'm off from work. I know that Norcross in the middle of nowhere but it's still better than nothing, and I have a big screen TV and lots of cats.

Sleepy. Tell them how many cats I have.

smithspot

Smash Journeyman
@Zatch- GX wasnt a bad place but thats not a place that could replace Waba or be a regular smash area for tourneys. It is way to small and is going to get cramped w/ more then 20 ppl.
I have to disagree with that...we have had over 50 ppl in our place with past SoDs and it was not cramped.
We have more than enough space to play comfortably. Our space can easily be opened up if needed. All of
our equipment can be moved to fit any event accordingly. If it comes down to us needing more space it can
be done in a matter of minutes.

DRN

Smash Lord
I have to disagree with that...we have had over 50 ppl in our place with past SoDs and it was not cramped.
We have more than enough space to play comfortably. Our space can easily be opened up if needed. All of
our equipment can be moved to fit any event accordingly. If it comes down to us needing more space it can
I said it isnt bad for small tourneys but if you compare it to like the venue we had for salt there is a lot less space. I'm just being honest and this is only my opinion. I guess the rest of the community will see it on the 18th. Wasnt meant bad i was just saying that if we wanted to hold a large tourney then we need to find a larger venue around Player-1's if not larger.

smithspot

Smash Journeyman
I'm not taking offense to it, not at all. I get what you are saying. Just know we are here for the community.
If there is something needed for the community then we will do our best to fit it. If it grows to a point we
need to go to another facility to host Smash then we will work to make that happen as well.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I said it isnt bad for small tourneys but if you compare it to like the venue we had for salt there is a lot less space. I'm just being honest and this is only my opinion. I guess the rest of the community will see it on the 18th. Wasnt meant bad i was just saying that if we wanted to hold a large tourney then we need to find a larger venue around Player-1's if not larger.
This is true, but this should be the case anyway. Our locals should only be about 50-60 people max (Like our regulars I mean). If we have to relocate for BIG event then so be it. Many states do that, but it's good to have a place to play all the time locally for tourney's or even smashfests.

I'm not taking offense to it, not at all. I get what you are saying. Just know we are here for the community.
If there is something needed for the community then we will do our best to fit it. If it grows to a point we
need to go to another facility to host Smash then we will work to make that happen as well.
This sounds even better though. GX is actually willing if needed to help us host other events in other venues. Which is exactly why I wanted tourney's to be ran with them because it's a company. It won't just be us trying to do this stuff. Even if it's someone else's tourney we could ask GX for help.

Tbh, the last venue waba was in (US Gaming) wasn't all that big either. We couldn't have too big of a tourney in there either because of space lol. SIEGE was an expo but if we had to throw it @ US gaming waba wouldn't do it because of the space I feel.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I don't think we'll have that many people at our current rate. I could see 17 or so on a good day, and there's a decent amout of room.

@SleepyK: I can't really reply fully right now, but you make it sound too easy. With playing online, you don't have to travel, and even if the money is offline, you don't have to waste money for a chance, especially when you know you're not ready.

:phone:

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'm coming back to ATL this weekend, and will be at home for the rest of the summer. Ya'll better have some damn smashfests and tourneys while I'm home...

DRN

Smash Lord
I don't think we'll have that many people at our current rate. I could see 17 or so on a good day, and there's a decent amout of room.

@SleepyK: I can't really reply fully right now, but you make it sound too easy. With playing online, you don't have to travel, and even if the money is offline, you don't have to waste money for a chance, especially when you know you're not ready.

:phone:
17? Our usual turnout is 25-30 and SALT displayed that. 17 is usually a pretty bad turnout for us.

I only keep on bringing up SALT because it is what helped revive us some and one of our better venues. After waba/ usga ended it became our main source of tourneys holding SALT, SALT2(31 entrants), and BBC1(54 entrants)

Player-1

Smash Legend
This is true, but this should be the case anyway. Our locals should only be about 50-60 people max (Like our regulars I mean). If we have to relocate for BIG event then so be it. Many states do that, but it's good to have a place to play all the time locally for tourney's or even smashfests.

This sounds even better though. GX is actually willing if needed to help us host other events in other venues. Which is exactly why I wanted tourney's to be ran with them because it's a company. It won't just be us trying to do this stuff. Even if it's someone else's tourney we could ask GX for help.

Tbh, the last venue waba was in (US Gaming) wasn't all that big either. We couldn't have too big of a tourney in there either because of space lol. SIEGE was an expo but if we had to throw it @ US gaming waba wouldn't do it because of the space I feel.

USGA hosting the Tip Offed series which had a lot of entrants. IDK if they did for that series, but they could have moved a lot of the computers from that main room to easily hold big tournaments.

Saltix

Smash Lord
I could probably hold smashfests at my house on whatever days I'm off from work. I know that Norcross in the middle of nowhere but it's still better than nothing, and I have a big screen TV and lots of cats.

Sleepy. Tell them how many cats I have.
Are you in the GA smash group on facebook? quite a few smashers are also in gwinnett, so i feel like a norcorss smashfest isn't bad

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
17? Our usual turnout is 25-30 and SALT displayed that. 17 is usually a pretty bad turnout for us.

I only keep on bringing up SALT because it is what helped revive us some and one of our better venues. After waba/ usga ended it became our main source of tourneys holding SALT, SALT2(31 entrants), and BBC1(54 entrants)
^ This, pretty much. Did not get to see this page from Mobile. Salt has been inconsistent, GX has been going good since '05. Like he said, if we need more space, it can be done. Any turnout at all is good by my standards. 17 is really good for a returning weekly.
I'm coming back to ATL this weekend, and will be at home for the rest of the summer. Ya'll better have some damn smashfests and tourneys while I'm home...
Will be glad to see you back up here for the time, Scatz.
You guys would probably be good on this. Like I said, there's a lot of people in Augusta and around Athens that we could talk too. Allshort's idea is really good, too. I could help with something like that.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
17 is good number for a weekly attendance if you don't want our community to grow at all
What are you expecting? I never said the number couldn't go up. :glare: The box, we've got to think outside of it.

DRN

Smash Lord
What are you expecting? I never said the number couldn't go up. :glare: The box, we've got to think outside of it.
>.> i just said that i dont understand why you would expect 17 when we havent had low numbers like that as an average since waba weeklies lol. Im expecting the same numbers as always 25-30. Expectations, we've got to raise them. See what i did? :A1:

17 is good number for a weekly attendance if you don't want our community to grow at all
Was he talking about weekly or like for normal biweekly/monthly? I'm skimming now because of E3 >.<

Top Bottom