• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking of buying a tripod just so those darn vids won't be so shaky >:(

Mainly we're looking for critique on what DDD should not have done.

Start criticizing maggots!

uberdylan

Smash Rookie
Quick question: On the subject of infinite chaingrabs (on, oh, say, Samus) everyone says just down throw - grab - repeat, right? And yet, this doesn't work for me. Upon going to training and slowing down to 1/4 speed, I see that for me, after I've grabbed, if I hold L (or R), press down, and mash A, sometimes he briefly puts his shield up before regrabbing and misses, and sometimes immediately grabs and succeeds. How do I go straight to grab, without having him shield? And it's not Z, I tried that too.

uberdylan

Smash Rookie
Hrmm... I'll try it, but is that the usual way? I can't imagine all the people doing those infi chaingrabs have c-stick grab on... Could it be that my controller is ancient and slightly laggy? (From my first gamecube, 2001)

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Alrught thanks Crashic for telling me that. It edited that post so you can see them.
Quick question: On the subject of infinite chaingrabs (on, oh, say, Samus) everyone says just down throw - grab - repeat, right? And yet, this doesn't work for me. Upon going to training and slowing down to 1/4 speed, I see that for me, after I've grabbed, if I hold L (or R), press down, and mash A, sometimes he briefly puts his shield up before regrabbing and misses, and sometimes immediately grabs and succeeds. How do I go straight to grab, without having him shield? And it's not Z, I tried that too.
On either a ledge infinite or a standing infinite, it is Z. You're not doing it correctly though, when you down throw somebody, buffer Z again during the frames of King Dedede sitting on your opponent.

[Buffer: Meaning mashing a button to ensure that you get the perfect frame of the attack you want to execute.]

It takes some practice to master, but you'll notice that you'll get it on somebody when you do it like this.

uberdylan

Smash Rookie
Thanks, that got it. I think my problem was that I was holding Z for too long; the trick seems to be one quick tap at the right time.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
@Commander, haha thanks for critique. My Mario knows the D3 matchup well decently, l play Rukki all the time and Mintyflesh and others l can't recall >_>. I'd play 2x gayer but like idk that's hard lol. my mario usually loses it a stock to d3 once he gets cg'd to bair to hell offstage though lmfao.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
@Commander, haha thanks for critique. My Mario knows the D3 matchup well decently, l play Rukki all the time and Mintyflesh and others l can't recall >_>. I'd play 2x gayer but like idk that's hard lol. my mario usually loses it a stock to d3 once he gets cg'd to bair to hell offstage though lmfao.
Your welcome lol. I don't think I gave you many tips...just your King Dedede friend. That's good that you know that matchup.
Thanks, that got it. I think my problem was that I was holding Z for too long; the trick seems to be one quick tap at the right time.
Your welcome. Yeah when I first began this...I would do the same, and I'm sure it happened to every other King Dedede, no worries. Yeah just one quick tap.
Thanks bro
Your welcome.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Hello, I was critiqued not too long ago here, and I think I am ready for some new critiquing. Last time I couldn't take down Skid, but this time I was able to do it, thanks to the help of the Dedede Boards! Thanks guys! However, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement...

These videos are all from a local tournament with only people from my high school, I have never attending a "legit" tournament, but I am going to in a few weeks, so I want all the help I can get. I don't expect you guys to watch all of these, but if you could just watch one or two that would be great!

Winner's Finals:
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: WF 1
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: WF 2
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :pikachu: WF 3 --- I ended this one with Seibrik's new AT... It was pretty awesome, I've never even praticed it either. Thanks Seibrik!
Game 4 I was :pit:

Grand Finals:
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: GF 1
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: GF 2
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: GF 3
Game 5 I was :popo:

Please let me know what I did wrong and where I can improve, I want to try to do at least decent at my first legit tournament. Thanks guys, -Garabon

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Hello, I was critiqued not too long ago here, and I think I am ready for some new critiquing. Last time I couldn't take down Skid, but this time I was able to do it, thanks to the help of the Dedede Boards! Thanks guys! However, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement...

These videos are all from a local tournament with only people from my high school, I have never attending a "legit" tournament, but I am going to in a few weeks, so I want all the help I can get. I don't expect you guys to watch all of these, but if you could just watch one or two that would be great!

Winner's Finals:
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: WF 1
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: WF 2
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :pikachu: WF 3 --- I ended this one with Seibrik's new AT... It was pretty awesome, I've never even praticed it either. Thanks Seibrik!

Grand Finals:
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: GF 1
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: GF 2
Garabon :dedede: Vs. Skid :snake: GF 3
Game 5 I was :popo:

Please let me know what I did wrong and where I can improve, I want to try to do at least decent at my first legit tournament. Thanks guys, -Garabon
Great job on your improvements! At your local high school, those kids seem to be decent enough for your practice of real tournaments, this is good too. You did do a few things wrong though.
For the Snake matchup, at the beginning you can throw a waddle dee here and there...but don't jump and throw them because a grenade will be below you where you'll be stuck in sideB lag. You don't need to hit Snake with them, waddle dees are just meant to block a grenade here and there and just thwart with his grenades near him when he shields also. After all, we win the matchup in the more efficient way. It's all about trying to get that hard-to-reach grab on him to send him offstage where we have the advantage. So adding on to that, while Snake is on Smashville's platform, it's best for you to charge you way until you're under him and not throw another waddle dee. It's all about pressuring Snake with your grab range...with eliminating all threats of grenades anywhere. You were doing a great job air camping and just avoiding grenade explosions altogether.
Do less dash grabs, and do more shield grabs, even if they fail, you'll have your shield active for the forward tilt. And for all your matches, please enough of the reckless down airs into the floor. You'll get lag and your opponent won't be knocked back at all.
This might have been a smart idea, but don't do swallowcides that early in both players' stocks regardless if Snake is 40% above you and you think it's a lot. Good job on your succession with inhale releasing! You tried it twice on Snake and it failed, so I'm theorizing that it may not be guarenteed after all, or at least it can be character specific. Maybe smaller characters like Pikachu and Meta Knight only....

Other than that I agree that you have gotten a lot better since last critique...cool story bro.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Thanks for the critique!

I really need to get in the habit of using less down air into the ground >.<

The swallowcide was because I did that to the Snake once before, and he pretty much stopped edgeguarding me for a few games after that in fear of another one, so I was hoping that it would prevent future damage from his edge guards.

Thanks again, I really appriciate it, most of the character boards never critique Lol.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
yea, that's more or less the AT.... i might as well put out the vid sometime this week, i had it done but was debating on weather or not i should release the in's and outs of it.

but seeing as im leaning more toward MK lately for actual tourny play, it wont hurt me any in the end.

this weekend has made me go back to maining mk, using ddd for only some extreme CP's.

there's more one can do with inhale releasing than just kill, the happy ending is just one version of it.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Thanks for the critique!

I really need to get in the habit of using less down air into the ground >.<

The swallowcide was because I did that to the Snake once before, and he pretty much stopped edgeguarding me for a few games after that in fear of another one, so I was hoping that it would prevent future damage from his edge guards.

Thanks again, I really appriciate it, most of the character boards never critique Lol.
That's pretty reasonable to prevent your opponent from edgeguarding, nice. Your welcome. I think your improvement also showed that my description wasn't as long as your previous critique and I had less things to say. Assuming that it's just about every other character board, if people never critique, then it's just like not having the courage and consideration to start a project thread such as Gates's matchup thread down there. And that's just sad because people don't care much to help out others when they need it. Sorry for that, I just needed to say it. lol

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Hey, I'm new on this forum and I need u guys 2 critique my ddd ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepF3cHuF5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS4nHmCRzPw

both against ROB.
First vid:

You did very well on his first stock. You were able to control the match and powershield all his **** very well.
He must've DI'd the fthrow at the end wrong cause I highly doubt it can kill a light character that early, let alone ROB.
On his second stock you had a little bit of a hiccup but still did very well.
At about 1:35 you missed on opportunity for a uair or fair which would've added at least 15% to him, but it's no big deal.
There's also times where you seem like you're basically throwing out Waddle Dees waiting for a Gordo. I realize these are friendlies and you were probably ******* around, but I seriously hope you don't expect that to work in tourney.
At 2:29 you could have pivot grabbed ROB and chaingrabbed him to the other side and dtilted at the ledge for a kill which would've sped up your match. Don't feel to bad though, I see Dededes forget to pivot grab all the time.
I like your use of dair to deal with ROB's planking.
2:43 you walked right into what he wanted you to do. A better thing would have been to cancel your upB and grab the ledge.
3:02 I'm guessing you didn't know that you can dtilt ROB after a dthrow at the ledge.
You also might have been able to go for a nair or fair stagespike at 3:04.
3:12 You should look at the thread on Seibrik's new AT that involves Inhale and utilt, but then again you killed him anyway so meh.
3:22 - 3:35 is pretty ****, not gonna lie.
4:58 You can use bair to get yourself out of hitstun faster and regain aerial control sooner. A lot of people call this momentum canceling but I'm still not entirely sure if that's the correct term. If you had done this and recovered correctly you might have kept your second stock.
5:21 Dthrow -> Dtilt at the ledge would have been an instant kill.
5:29 See this it the problem with Gordo camping - If you do it too much it'll probably miss when you actually do get one.
5:44 Great way to end the match.

salsa~

Smash Cadet
First vid:

You did very well on his first stock. You were able to control the match and powershield all his **** very well.
He must've DI'd the fthrow at the end wrong cause I highly doubt it can kill a light character that early, let alone ROB.
On his second stock you had a little bit of a hiccup but still did very well.
At about 1:35 you missed on opportunity for a uair or fair which would've added at least 15% to him, but it's no big deal.
There's also times where you seem like you're basically throwing out Waddle Dees waiting for a Gordo. I realize these are friendlies and you were probably ******* around, but I seriously hope you don't expect that to work in tourney.
At 2:29 you could have pivot grabbed ROB and chaingrabbed him to the other side and dtilted at the ledge for a kill which would've sped up your match. Don't feel to bad though, I see Dededes forget to pivot grab all the time.
I like your use of dair to deal with ROB's planking.
2:43 you walked right into what he wanted you to do. A better thing would have been to cancel your upB and grab the ledge.
3:02 I'm guessing you didn't know that you can dtilt ROB after a dthrow at the ledge.
You also might have been able to go for a nair or fair stagespike at 3:04.
3:12 You should look at the thread on Seibrik's new AT that involves Inhale and utilt, but then again you killed him anyway so meh.
3:22 - 3:35 is pretty ****, not gonna lie.
4:58 You can use bair to get yourself out of hitstun faster and regain aerial control sooner. A lot of people call this momentum canceling but I'm still not entirely sure if that's the correct term. If you had done this and recovered correctly you might have kept your second stock.
5:21 Dthrow -> Dtilt at the ledge would have been an instant kill.
5:29 See this it the problem with Gordo camping - If you do it too much it'll probably miss when you actually do get one.
5:44 Great way to end the match.
dude! thanks for giving me tips!
btw the dthrow>dtilt always works against rob?

about gordos.. I'll try using side b less.. if u watch the second video and c how rob evaded him, made me feel sick.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
It's about time that somebody else actually gave a full critique instead of a few measly things, thank you Gates. It was in the morning in which I'm never here so...good. I couldn't find anything else myself.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I was actually expecting you to do the second vid, Beef.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I was actually expecting you to do the second vid, Beef.
Oh yes... I forgot that it's about critiques on videos and not the player himself, whoops.

Just about everything you did, Salsa, was for the benefit of the matchup, which is great. I like how you know that you can keep R.O.B. offstage for that long period of time with back air. And also that R.O.B.'s forward air gets beaten and therefore has limited options to stay on stage. I need to keep a record of how many times I say this...Do not do a d*** down air into the ground. If you know that you'll get lag and you won't send him anywhere, why do it? Well my answer is that it came out, out of habit in this particular situation, fix it just like everybody else. And when at a median distance from R.OB., don't throw waddle dees because they don't help your advantage in the matchup. Better going in for the grab than to throw a dragging servant that only deals 5%. And always go offstage when R.OB. is, because when he uses upB, he cannot airdodge making him vulnerable. Don't throw them when he's offstage and just go after him. The more pressure on the robot, the better. While R.O.B. is at that 200% on his first stock, just wait patiently for a down smash, down tilt, or up tilt kill. Or a chaingrab to a down tilt at the ledge. Just standing there is a mindgame especially if it's something different to what your opponent has adapted to you with [which in this case is you running around].
Yeah the match would've been done long before if you've known that you have a legitimate combo of down tilt following a down throw.

salsa~

Smash Cadet
Oh yes... I forgot that it's about critiques on videos and not the player himself, whoops.

Just about everything you did, Salsa, was for the benefit of the matchup, which is great. I like how you know that you can keep R.O.B. offstage for that long period of time with back air. And also that R.O.B.'s forward air gets beaten and therefore has limited options to stay on stage. I need to keep a record of how many times I say this...Do not do a d*** down air into the ground. If you know that you'll get lag and you won't send him anywhere, why do it? Well my answer is that it came out, out of habit in this particular situation, fix it just like everybody else. And when at a median distance from R.OB., don't throw waddle dees because they don't help your advantage in the matchup. Better going in for the grab than to throw a dragging servant that only deals 5%. And always go offstage when R.OB. is, because when he uses upB, he cannot airdodge making him vulnerable. Don't throw them when he's offstage and just go after him. The more pressure on the robot, the better. While R.O.B. is at that 200% on his first stock, just wait patiently for a down smash, down tilt, or up tilt kill. Or a chaingrab to a down tilt at the ledge. Just standing there is a mindgame especially if it's something different to what your opponent has adapted to you with [which in this case is you running around].
Yeah the match would've been done long before if you've known that you have a legitimate combo of down tilt following a down throw.
hmm yea I figured that d throw d tilt stuff.. other 2 stuffs: have any kind of grab technique that does more damage along the whole fd? and could u rate my ddd? 0-10? *-*

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
hmm yea I figured that d throw d tilt stuff.. other 2 stuffs: have any kind of grab technique that does more damage along the whole fd? and could u rate my ddd? 0-10? *-*
There's nothing much damaging in a chaingrab than just adding pummels per down throw. The more percent your opponent has, the harder it is for him to break out of a grab, allowing you possibly 2 pummels when he's at 100% or more. Sorry about not rating you earlier. 8/10
I go by out of 5 mainly, so I'd say 3/5 for that.

Judo777

Smash Master
I was looking at the new D3 at about inhale releasing to a buffered utilt. What happens if the opponent doesn't try to break out? D3 automatically spits u out after a certain time.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You answered your own question, but what you do if they don't try to break out is start walking to the edge. This way you throw them off the edge putting them in a very good position for D3, especially if they are already in kill percents.

Judo777

Smash Master
haha ur right i did answer myself but thnx for getting what i meant.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
There's nothing much damaging in a chaingrab than just adding pummels per down throw. The more percent your opponent has, the harder it is for him to break out of a grab, allowing you possibly 2 pummels when he's at 100% or more. Sorry about not rating you earlier. 8/10
I go by out of 5 mainly, so I'd say 3/5 for that.
8/10 = 4/5?

But it seems like you give really good critiques, do you critique Snakes or Falcos by any chance? Or perhaps critique their options vs. Dedede? I have some vids of me fighting a Dedede, I know the matchup better now, but some advices would def help.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
8/10 = 4/5?

But it seems like you give really good critiques, do you critique Snakes or Falcos by any chance? Or perhaps critique their options vs. Dedede? I have some vids of me fighting a Dedede, I know the matchup better now, but some advices would def help.
Yes you're correct about the ratings, I'll mean 7/10 then because the guy was average for me to give him 3/5.
Well, If you mean your King Dedede against a Snake or Falco, there are already critiqued videos and the video labels have a few Falcos and Snakes, look at page 1.
But otherwise, I could critique one of those two based on my knowledge of their current metagame, but I know that the critique won't be as helpful as opposed to me critiquing your King Dedede. I'll try it for you.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
have you had any new ones up yume? because otherwise beef, the matches in question are ones you've already critiqued, namely me vs. falco

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
have you had any new ones up yume? because otherwise beef, the matches in question are ones you've already critiqued, namely me vs. falco
Nah not yet, I'm thinking about sending some to yoshiq after our smashfest today so we can hopefully get some vids before our tournament.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Nope, and I don't expect him to at least until he either

1. drops D3 again
2. after apex so he can use it on some money matches

because the video also includes their options out of it and how to predict and counter those options.

Top Bottom