• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grev Monthly XII - TBA

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
yeah

didnt shoot lasers for ****

just kept approaching his ****** ***

when he was edge camping

douche

tec0000
3/4s of the time I was on the edge was cuz you hit me there ******.

Mang00000

Admitely though he really barely shot lasers....
<I'm so bad at this game D=

joeplicate

Smash Master
alright time for extended shoutouts

i think the reason why i didn't do as well at this tournament as i would've like is that i developed a little ego about the game, which i don't even deserve as of yet :p

plus i have a million other johns regarding sunburned/no shower/not being able to focus because of new contacts/oscar waking up an hour late and getting bad directions OH WELLZ

connor: it'll be the day when we have a salt-free set! good job on beating me, you earned it. i feel dirty about calling you gay, and then shine spiking you haha.

tec0: way to go out of your region and represent! once i get better that counterpicking **** isn't gonna work anymore! but i have a feeling you coulda 2-0'd me if we were both playing a little better anyways, so no regrets.

mango: ur the ****, how do you focus so well

fly: fun teaming even though we got ***** cause there were only like 5 teams! good friendlies too, sorry if i was being excessively salty and feeling myself after beating you in that one and having stab complement me lol. seriously though, i feel like i learn a lot about focus/player styles whenever i play you. we'll step it way up next tournament in teams!! SOCAL, ENTER MORE TEAMS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!

stab: thanks for hosting, i hope that advice i gave you helped out :)

the homies: dunk (ultimate homie), comforting me in my time of need, alfredo the general all-around-nice-guy homie, julian kao my grapefruit homie, hyprid and JDM the karate kid homies, and little eaglin (i just figured out what your name means like a week ago homie) for not letting anything ruin his day. i liked talking to everyone a lot, good to see y'all again socal. sorry if it seemed like i was being a little bit of a ***** yesterday lol ;).

lovage, the ultimate bromance homie: thanks for putting up with my bad attitude all day haha, i hope you made it to class OK and didn't get too *****!

johnny, the explosive improvement asian homie: good **** man! your breakout tournament. your dedication/determination/good attitude have really paid off. i'll grind with you for days on end. but your falco still sucks!! jk

rei: shoulda given us directions to the other chipotle!! haha oh well, thanks anyways.

irvine players: good work, a lot of you show signs of great potential! gj showing up and reppin your region

jkun: a pleasure as always, ultimate niceness homie

THE atlus: Doucheb@g!! i hope every team you root for in the world cup gets their s#!+ r@ped!!!

everyone else: know i love you! sorry for not mentioning anyone else by name, but it was cool getting to talk to everyone and stuff.

peace out! see everybody at the next tourney!

joeplicate

Smash Master
haha alright, well apologies if i was just seeming a little douchier than normal in those friendlies. they were still good practice =)

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
so mango went falco, bizzaro - ganon?, tec0 was fox/marth im assuming. and connor peach?

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i swear whenever someone plays me before a tourny they ****

call me fabian

$ick

Smash Lord
Adam still plays? Come show me how to not get completely ***** in the Sheik Falcon match up yo. And then we'll party or something.

This tourny was fun. :)
Kinda far but I'd go again. Thanks to all the kids I played with, was fun.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
adam, you should teach me to not get angry at life everytime i fight sheik or mid tiers (namely Samus, Doc, ICs, Ganon)

Adam M!

Smash Lord
Adam still plays? Come show me how to not get completely ***** in the Sheik Falcon match up yo. And then we'll party or something.

This tourny was fun. :)
Kinda far but I'd go again. Thanks to all the kids I played with, was fun.
you got a job now so u gotta drive to me =P

unless said party is going down

adam, you should teach me to not get angry at life everytime i fight sheik or mid tiers (namely Samus, Doc, ICs, Ganon)
meditate

adam, teach me how to clutch as well as your fox in the last stock
play me in tourny and you'll see clutch :laugh:

joeplicate

Smash Master
p *****

adam i wanna go over to ur house sometime this summer

i was gonna add a "no criticism" clause but learning to deal with your loving verbal abuse will probably a.) make me a better player if i listen b.) help me kill my ego by shrugging it off

then we can do drugzz or sum ****

or work out/play basketball

Adam M!

Smash Lord
hahaha verbal abuse is years old. i learned long ago that ish dont work.

let's do it! i actually have a bball court in my backyard, hahaha

ill have to feed you to pay your mom back

joeplicate

Smash Master
sounds dope haha

it'll probably have to be in at least a week or two though, i gotta get some **** organized before i can go on a good long trip like that :)

DJMirror

Smash Master
Hey Joe I know it's kinda late and I kinda forgot what you told me so I'm going to ask you again..

So what did I do wrong in the first and second match? I had a feeling you took it pretty easy on me in the first match because I got ***** pretty hard in the second match. Was I rolling from the ledge too much? Was I not getting your habits? Did I recover the same way every time?

joeplicate

Smash Master
this is pretty general advice, but it's good still

you need to act faster on your reads, and not let me go as much
there were a lot of times where you threw me up on a platform and i got away because you messed up the timing on fsmash/uptilt/etc, or grabbed me but i teched away and shielded then jumped out of your combo. focus on the timing of your follow-ups. stop for a second, look to see which way i'm going, then focus to make sure your next grab or tilt connects. you stopped to look, but didn't usually react fast enough or chose a misspaced thing.

on the defensive end, you were pretty easy to read. i noticed you jumping up from the edge and wavelanding on a lot, and grabbed you out of it a couple of times and naired the other times to beat it. you could either do a short wavedash on (neighborhood p style), then predict my approach with a grab or uptilt, or just get up a different way. you should try to match your movement to what i'm doing--if i'm waiting in the center of the stage, don't do a wavedash on. (do a normal standup instead, since i'm not controlling that space as well.) and don't use your double-jump at really obvious times. everybody does that :)

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Aside from everything Joe said, I think you need to move around more Jason. I think most people that play spacies would agree that the scariest Marth is one that moves with the space animal. Just dash dance/wavedash around the field. When approaching I noticed that Adam likes to dtilt/jab then follow up with a grab if it connects, and if it doesn't connect go back to moving and stuff. lol

Also, I think KFC has that best defense with Marth, because he counters offense with counter offense whenever possible. He utilt/dash dance grabs all my stupid aerial approaches from platforms and counters(downB) obvious laser>aerial approaches AND whats most important, is once he's punishing you he's really PUNISHING you! (see Joe's post) Take the first opportunity to get a fsmash tipper for a kill or edge guard.

...other than that just WD OoS and like Joe said be careful with your double jump.

DJMirror

Smash Master
@ Joe ohh ok thanks. Tech skill and reacting is my biggest weakness. The only way I know to get better at it is just pick up fox and practice. Of course I still have to practice moving as Marth as well.

@Jason Thanks for the advice as well, You watch my set against Joe or something?

DJMirror

Smash Master
Looks like I'm going to ask P for the P training once again and KFC for that KFC Training.

****kkk I need to organize my life =___=

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
Aside from everything Joe said, I think you need to move around more Jason. I think most people that play spacies would agree that the scariest Marth is one that moves with the space animal. Just dash dance/wavedash around the field. When approaching I noticed that Adam likes to dtilt/jab then follow up with a grab if it connects, and if it doesn't connect go back to moving and stuff. lol

Also, I think KFC has that best defense with Marth, because he counters offense with counter offense whenever possible. He utilt/dash dance grabs all my stupid aerial approaches from platforms and counters(downB) obvious laser>aerial approaches AND whats most important, is once he's punishing you he's really PUNISHING you! (see Joe's post) Take the first opportunity to get a fsmash tipper for a kill or edge guard.

...other than that just WD OoS and like Joe said be careful with your double jump.
man we should play more =)

i felt like i learned a lot from playing you, you seem to know the marth matchup pretty well (but everybody does in socal, from what i've heard)

once i get my car, expect me at almost every single tournament

jason come over more

Kira-

Smash Champion
Tech skill and reacting is my biggest weakness. The only way I know to get better at it is just pick up fox and practice. Of course I still have to practice moving as Marth as well.
I believe that your reactions and tech skill will improve as you get smarter. Your base reaction time cannot be improved; only your reaction time within a very practiced and learned setting can be improved.

This is similar to the way that chess grandmasters can remember every move of all their games, but not have general memory better than any other person.

Bottom line: Work on being smarter, and everything else will follow suit.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
jason, what u need to do is write down everything you need to do to improve and work on them one thing at a time. asking me or joe or anyone else what to do better isn't going to help you one lick

i also think a lot of the advice you receive is flat-out wrong (or at least unnecessary; im calling bull**** on kira's post) and will only serve to confuse you down the road

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
man we should play more =)

i felt like i learned a lot from playing you, you seem to know the marth matchup pretty well (but everybody does in socal, from what i've heard)

once i get my car, expect me at almost every single tournament

jason come over more
For sure dude. ;)

Sadly, my car broke down, so right now I don't know when I'll have it back.

joeplicate

Smash Master
lool i kind of agree about dave's post

david sirlin wrote a good article
tech chasing and using reaction is all about boiling down a situation to 2 or 3 options. that way, you limit what goes through your mind so you can better focus on those 2/3 scenarios.

"if he techs left, i fsmash. if he techs right, i turn around and fsmash still. if he techs in place or misses a tech, i can downsmash"

etc

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
Late Shoutouts:

Stab- Thanks for hosting this. I know we can do better in teams if we are to try again.
Tec0: We didn't interact at all, but I would just like to say that you were even better than I expected.
Bizzaro: I want to play you more because your Ganon is beast.
Fly: I really like playing you in friendlies. You are very smart and I have to think and adapt frequently when I play you.
Anto: You got quite a bit better since the last UCI Fusion. Keep it up.
Bryan: I was surprised how good you are.
JDM: You're pretty technical and your movement is fast and smooth.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
lool i kind of agree about dave's post
i've pretty much made my reaction skill at least 2x better (totally arbitrary obv) over the past year or so by working at it. (im also sure working out / meditation helped.)

i also need a citation on the grandmasters thing. i call bs on that for multiple reasons, but mostly because he'd have to prove that reaction in melee is a different environment than reaction in anything else. i don't easily believe that to be true because the difference is not intuitively clear; don't both rely on fast-twitch muscles? isn't it subconscious? why would i be able to react to tech chases but not react better to a tennis ball zooming across the court? i'm sure i don't improve to the exact same degree as i did w/ my tech chasing but i'm equally sure my "base reaction" improved nonetheless

and as soon as kfc starts going to every tournament is as soon as i'm gonna start attending everynon-sunday tournament

Adam M!

Smash Lord
re: jkun's improvement

the first thing i think anyone has to do is determine how much they want to improve. and if you want to improve a lot then you have to work a lot. i've always viewed smash like a sport. for me when i played basketball in HS and wanted to get better, my brother would run me through a ton of specific drills designed to improve specific areas. it's like when you work out and want to get swole -- you target specific muscle groups each day and then rest. smash is basically the same thing imo.

fact is very few people have that kind of dedication/discipline, and even more importantly the ability to bounce back when you inevitably mess up (i.e. resuming your schedule after you started and stopped two weeks in or whatever). and the less you work the more you leave everything up to natural talent.

that's why people's "i want to improve!" posts ring hollow to me because they either don't recognize how much work it's gonna take (allow me to show you!) or are unwilling to really work that hard for a "game" / hobby.

the funny thing though is i think if you work really hard @ targeting specific areas you can improve almost overnight. definitely wouldn't take more than, say, six months to get ranked, and that's even including the 3-4 month period of you having to beat people to get noticed. the trick is mindset. one day at a time. i like to think of it as every day i'm getting slightly better than everyone else, so sooner or later i'll be the best.

sorry for the double post.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
@ adam's improvement post

that's pretty much how I view it. I guess the reason why Merced jumped from being total newbies (casual players) to being close to my level in just a bit over an year is because of their dedication to become better and the amount of fun they had during most of their matches.

however, i never advised them to target specific areas; they have just naturally covered all of those areas as they play against each other almost everyday. but in the upcoming school semester, i will actually try to spot their weaknesses and advice them to concentrate specifically on that area, as well as myself.

anyways, thanks for the thoughtful post

Top Bottom