• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grev presents ~ Stab's 949 area Melee tourney IV - Results/Bracket on first post!

pockyD

Smash Legend
i'm actually pro-coaching, but as of right now, it's typically understood to be not allowed by default so people shouldn't do it

Adam M!

Smash Lord
because i just post what i think?
oh, then im prolly giving you too much credit

cause if you think about it for a little it's not that kouryuu isn't accepted by the community, it's that he doesn't WANT to be accepted by the community if he's accepted for (what he deems the) wrong reasons

of course it's a chicken and an egg situation to the extent that, is kouryuu being so hostile because he fears rejection, or he genuinely just does not give a ****? matter of fact i wouldn't reject it being a bit of both, but from what i gather he feels the same way i do (only he's felt it for much longer): he plays for the game, not the community. so no matter how much fun it might be to form social bonds, the game is the game (c) the wire. and he's merely disappointed that the community doesn't reflect his ideals (competition, mainly) and that he has to go to such lengths to manufacture the itty bitty competition he can find

SuperRad

Smash Master
i know that kouryuu is on the outside by choice. his posts make it clear that he doesn't agree with most of the socal melee community. im guessing he felt rejected when everyone was trashing him for how he was posting, which led to him being more antagonistic on the boards. in person he's always been cool enough to me, so i always figured it was just an 'e-persona' thing.

i do think that the melee community in california could be more competitive, but socal seems to be pretty competitive from the outside looking in. there are new up and comers that keep the better players in check, there are some mild rivalries [lovage vs kira, for example]. it seems like, and i could be wrong, that you are implying that being friends with other smashers will reduce the competition within that group. that doesn't really make sense to me, as most people still enter every tournament with the intention to do well.

joeplicate

Smash Master
about socal smash being a "big circlejerk":

i think it's because everybody is getting a lot better, and things have yet to straighten out

norcal is almost stagnating by comparison

shoutouts (in order of appearance):
tipZ is too good and so small, how are you a senior in high school
ross is way too cool, beezies on beezies, shotgunning beer is so ****en legit lol
oscar, my broseph, u ****, good **** in doubles. EY YO **** JEWS YO
steven I GUESS, hope you had fun jacking off at home sat
brendan is great for hosting, if i left any stuff behind (guessing i did) tell me. you're a lot lot lot faster now, gj. enjoy dinotopia
romeo is so **** funny when he's drunk, and so level-headed and cheerful about it the morning after
hugo, you should get on your consistency game again, also get ***** by Lake Forest/Trabuco Canyon. thanks for playing me =]
jkun is tight for driving us to carl's, next time get ****ed up and let us go hungry
mango for taking a break (johns), and for taking your loss vs hugo's mm so humbly, like a true man
dunskies omfg get *****, like you always do. i'm glad i got to see you get destroyed in the flesh. also your house is sooo tight, why haven't i been there before/let me live there winter break

fly, good stuff in doubles (although it was basically what i was expecting, no more and no less). i woulda liked to have played oscar/johnny and lost, probably, and i got fuuucked up in our set lol, serves me right for not focusing
connor, your peach is awesome, i think you're my favorite person in socal to play friendlies with. marth/peach fah dayz
johnny, it's great to see you adding depth and experience to your game, on top of all your sick/fast tricks. great job in teams, now get on that essay you were gonna write
tavo is old as ****! it'd be awesome if you went to more tournies, nice to meet you
mccain gj in singles, looking forward to our EPIC 30$ MM
joey, you're too good, thanks a lot for playing me (even though i wish you woke up earlier haha). idk why people give your falcon ****, it's so fast, and plus i heard it counters oscar hard body
plus an extra shoutout to stabbed, these tournaments are surprisingly ****, you just need to step up your direction game LOL

everyone else, good to see you

lastly, to me
i ****
good **** me
go practice so you don't fall behind:lick:

HugS™

Smash Lord
They do allow coaches to yell out instructions during boxing/UFC fights, which is more comparable to a smash match.

However, the only reason I'm against coaching is because it is assumed that it is not allowed, because it was specifically banned by MLG which has been the basis of every ruleset to this day.

Why it has been slowly weeded out as a rule is beyond me. No one addresses it anymore. I strongly discourage it during my matches, but I took no action against what happened because I understand there's no current rule against it. All we have is a previous rule against it and no current rule for it.

That being said, it should be a part of every ruleset whether it be for or against it. It just needs to be addressed.

As far as I see it, coaching should be allowed so long as the players can and do find a coach of their own preference. Both coaches should be disclosed to the players, and only those designated as coaches can actually coach during the match.

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
Stab - Sorry for following you around and then calling for next match. I wanted to play ranked players too.
Sherigami - You're a bro.
lovage - You are one of the most fun people to play friendlies with.
fly - I was rooting for you in your tournament matches.
jkun - I would recommend just sticking with Marth even if you dislike Marth dittos. Thanks for encouraging me to rethink how to fight Sheik.

ranked people that I played: Thanks for putting up with me. You made an arcadian happy.:)

joeplicate

Smash Master
attention everybody

you do not have to take toll roads to get to the venue

instead, you can continue on I-5 until you reach Bake Rd

exit here, then take the road all the way to Portola Parkway (it's like ten or twenty miles)

i found this out from jenny on the way back

it's much, much easier and less hasslesome
hopefully that's a help

joeplicate

Smash Master
definitely

stab, when you read this

edit the first post for directions
don't take the first portola off the toll roads, etc
plus i-5 info

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
cause if you think about it for a little it's not that kouryuu isn't accepted by the community, it's that he doesn't WANT to be accepted by the community if he's accepted for (what he deems the) wrong reasons

of course it's a chicken and an egg situation to the extent that, is kouryuu being so hostile because he fears rejection, or he genuinely just does not give a ****? matter of fact i wouldn't reject it being a bit of both, but from what i gather he feels the same way i do (only he's felt it for much longer): he plays for the game, not the community. so no matter how much fun it might be to form social bonds, the game is the game (c) the wire. and he's merely disappointed that the community doesn't reflect his ideals (competition, mainly) and that he has to go to such lengths to manufacture the itty bitty competition he can find
Pretty much.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
if coaching was allowed that'd be so ****

everyone i liked would get amazing coaching

i wanna coach jason like a MUG

it seems like, and i could be wrong, that you are implying that being friends with other smashers will reduce the competition within that group. that doesn't really make sense to me, as most people still enter every tournament with the intention to do well.
nah, it's mostly just a matter of maturity imo

not that i think kouryuu is the most mature person but he takes his craft (and i use that word lightly) seriously

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i think that rooting for your guy should definitely be allowed
e.g. you got this dude, just keep your head in the game, its not over...

but i dont think flat out coaching should be allowed
e.g. he always techs left, do x move instead of y

part of the game is figuring stuff out for yourself

MacD

Banned via Administration
the best solution is in-between match coaching
i quoted like 5 posts all going to bring my point to this, in tennis in high school, you'd talk to your coach when you switch sides which is most comparable to in between match coaching

no computer= sucky shout outs

joe- good to see you can't wait to **** and take $30 from you

sheri- good times in teams, too bad everyone was a good team, and thanks for the origami, we'll figure out a way to make sure it doesn't break next time

fly- those random friendlies were too good and so was talking

lucky- it was nice to play those sets, i'm learning little by little

s2j- good to play you again, everytime i swear that this'll be the time i lose

cameron- get ***** by rainbow cruise

stab- tahnks for hosting, we'll get more than one friendy next time

everyone else- <3 (i think)

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Coaching DURING the match would be quite stupid. Imagine if the coach was just like, "ftilt, now space with pills, now do mixup A, now falcon punch, now rest!" It'd just be too loud/obnoxious, etc. Between match coaching sounds quite legit. Would the coaches be able to change between sets or do you register one coach when the tournament starts? Can you counterpick coaches?

Adam M!

Smash Lord
macd i'm gonna destroy you the next time i play you

i'll mm you for $20 too

MacD

Banned via Administration
i forgot, shout out to hugo for rigging the breacket, i approve of what you tried to do, i as well wanted it to happen, next time though, unless that mm was enough revenge for you

macd i'm gonna destroy you the next time i play you
ok have fun with that :rolleyes:

who's it gonna be next time? not fox cause cold hand johns? not marth even though it'll **** me? i always just assume you're going to go sheik on me now-a-days

i'll mm you for $20 too
one big mm at a time, i'm poor, sorry

Adam M!

Smash Lord
mccain you have the worst trash talk ever

honestly you're so low on my priority list because ****** you is equivalent to getting out of bed or something -- i do it whenever i choose to, it's just a matter of when i feel like it

the only people i really care about playing are lovage / hugo / zhu / lucky / fly / connor. everyone else is child's play

and if you're too vag to mm you can't talk trash noob

D

Deleted member

I would like to do a 20 dollar money match with someone in socal

mango/lucky BANNED

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
Shoutouts:

MacD: I think I'll make a different origami thing next time, or glue the pieces of the old one together so *****es like Connor don't mess it up

Connor: The teams matches were pretty fun. I was hoping you would SD at the end.

Hyprid: The Young Link dittos were pretty entertaining, but I don't really know why we did them.

Jkun: I'll team with you next time you want to. I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to team with the MacD!

Fly: This tournament was pretty entertaining because we went together. I love talking about smash and everything else.

HugS: I got ***** by Wahoo's. I'll definitely be more careful at next post-tournament restaurant I go to.

Lovage: I'm glad I did that mm with you. $1 well spent.

Johnny- You too. Very fun seriouslies as well.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
I would like to do a 20 dollar money match with someone in socal

mango/lucky BANNED
let's do it

let's do 3

my sheik, marth and fox

$20 a piece if you're down

if not then i'd rather do three $10

i don't want to just pick one tbqh

i don't care i said i wouldn't main all three, but goddammit i'm gonna main all 3

Adam M!

Smash Lord
my dream as a noob was always to be good with multiple characters

in the end i think i just care more about being good with multiple characters than i do about being the absolute best all i could be with one. different strokes for different folks, *** it how you gotta get the most fun out of the game (like all those dum falcon players)

Top Bottom