• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grev presents ~ Stab's 949 area Melee tourney IV - Results/Bracket on first post!

HugS™

Smash Lord
S2j, I will money match you for 20 bucks

MacD, I didn't rig brackets. :)
Personal bias has no say in my seeding. You were placed where you should have been according to seeding. But yeah, I really did want to run into you.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Personal bias has no say in my seeding. You were placed where you should have been according to seeding. But yeah, I really did want to run into you.
i have to admit i "rigged" the brackets in Upland. Like, the seeding was correct, I'd either run into you or someone of equal skill At the Time (maybe larry or connor or something) but I got to choose who it was, so I played you hahah. But then you beat me in losers, completely destroying all purpose of playing in winners.

LuCKy

Smash Master
ill mm your falcon for $5 with my marth, sheik and fox
/QUOTE]

i have no idea how to do shiek at all so if you wanna do that id only do it for 2 bucks

im fine with the other 2 being 5 a piece though

Lovage

Smash Hero
alright so who the **** got me sick
after brendans party + this tournament + dunskies house i had the flu for like 2 days and it sucked, i'm getting over it now...but **** if you're sick please just stay home

anyways
fun tournament, stab is terrible at giving directions because he doesn't know the street names in his neighborhood which made if very frustrating for me and joe who were lost like a mile away from the venue. also he doesn't know his own ruleset and didn't ban/make an official rule on wobbling because "fly is like the only IC in socal"

anyway those are my only gripes about the tourny
i love eating lots of fruit before the tourny and pizza is always good. it beats getting greasy carls. jr right before doubles starts or some trash.

shoutouts:

s2j - <333, fun stuff

fly - fun set, i was playing extremely technical and good so i wish it was recorded. oh well. i recommend you get a good sheik for macd

hugs - **** as always, i'll get you one of these days, maybe, but probably not

joe - my brudda, i'm glad you were here this weekend. made the drive/party/tourny a lot funner. ****

lucky - close set again lol. busta rhymes is the only man who can stand up to michael meyers lol

sherigami - keep it up young blood

dunk - LOOOOOL get *****

MacD

Banned via Administration
haha, i'm down for rigging brackets as long seeding isn't screwed up in the process, though the way you said i wasn't supposed to play connor made me wonder

HugS™

Smash Lord
haha, i'm down for rigging brackets as long seeding isn't screwed up in the process, though the way you said i wasn't supposed to play connor made me wonder
LoL no, it was the opposite.

You were originally in my bracket for quarter finals, but I switched you away into connor's bracket because that's how the seeding should have been. I wasn't trying to take you away from his bracket.

I said to lovage "Dammit, this is gonna make me sound like a *****, but according to seeding, MacD needs to switch with S2j and get out of my bracket"

Kira-

Smash Champion
you guys are all mad sketchy!
haha, well I think everyone wants these matches to happen so that we can actually gets some results rather than having the same people play each other every tournament over and over again. I'm not saying that's how Norcal does it (although I have heard reports from some people) but that's just the way we like to do it. I know brackets are rigged in other fighting game communities, and it isn't entirely right, but at the same time it's not like we're putting zhu against mango first round, it's technically all fair and we get to have more excitement out of the matches (as opposed to seeing the same matchup every single week). Not to mention this was a small 17 man tournament, so it was even less of a big deal.

but yeah, rigging brackets is not cool overall.

practice_mAn

Smash Journeyman
haha, well I think everyone wants these matches to happen so that we can actually gets some results rather than having the same people play each other every tournament over and over again. I'm not saying that's how Norcal does it (although I have heard reports from some people) but that's just the way we like to do it. I know brackets are rigged in other fighting game communities, and it isn't entirely right, but at the same time it's not like we're putting zhu against mango first round, it's technically all fair and we get to have more excitement out of the matches (as opposed to seeing the same matchup every single week). Not to mention this was a small 17 man tournament, so it was even less of a big deal.

but yeah, rigging brackets is not cool overall.
I have a question about this: in yu-gi-oh tournaments, people they actaully have the best players play against each other first. Then they have the lower ranked players play each other. Then the winners of both the upper division and lower division play each other. A friend of mine was arguing that this was much better than what melee and brawl tournaments were doing

I thought he was stupid, and said, "in a tournament like that, people who suck are getting placed in positions they don't deserve, because most of the higher ups who lost can easily beat them."

What's your take on the way they run their tournies? Is it good/bad wrong/right and why?

Adam M!

Smash Lord
yugioh tournaments are full of luck sack so LOL WHY ARE YOU BRINGING THEM UP

i used to be really good at yugioh too, such a stupid *** game

Kira-

Smash Champion
I have a question about this: in yu-gi-oh tournaments, people they actaully have the best players play against each other first. Then they have the lower ranked players play each other. Then the winners of both the upper division and lower division play each other. A friend of mine was arguing that this was much better than what melee and brawl tournaments were doing

I thought he was stupid, and said, "in a tournament like that, people who suck are getting placed in positions they don't deserve, because most of the higher ups who lost can easily beat them."

What's your take on the way they run their tournies? Is it good/bad wrong/right and why?
i like the idea of amateur and pro brackets so that everyone gets to play more

but an average-level player shouldn't get 2nd place (or at least not any prizes from getting 2nd). that's robbing the people with actual skill

practice_mAn

Smash Journeyman
i like the idea of amateur and pro brackets so that everyone gets to play more

but an average-level player shouldn't get 2nd place (or at least not any prizes from getting 2nd). that's robbing the people with actual skill
thats exactly what I was thinking

noobs or people with average skill are winning 3rd and 4th place

and prizes they dont even deserve because there are a bunch of other people that are better than them

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
here's an idea

for smaller tournaments, how about an "arcadian" bracket

i.e. in a 30-man group, those judged to be top 8 by the TO get preseeded into a 2nd round bracket (double elim) and don't have to play first round, and the remainder get divided into 4 pools, with the top 2 out of each of those getting put into the 2nd round bracket

those numbers are a representative example, and it wouldn't be practical to do that in a larger tournament because of time constraints, but i think it could be a good idea just to get more of the lower-rank players playing together while still giving them a chance to advance to the 2nd round bracket.

SuperRad

Smash Master
you could do it in a larger tournament. i was going to suggest to kira for the next arcadian tournament to let ranked players enter but put them in bracket automatically. then run pools with nonranked players only.

it's basically what MLG did except for socal only.

pockyD

Smash Legend
that's a terrible idea for an arcadian tournament

it's just like a regular tournament except you handicap the non-seeded players even more, which is the opposite of the intent

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
it's not for an arcadian tournament though. that's actually the whole point, so top-ranked players don't have to actually slog through and knock out significantly weaker players in a normal double-elim bracket. It favors the ranked players, and that's the whole point of it, but it also mixes the lower-skill players together and makes the best of those make it into the 2nd round bracket.

ranked players could do warm-ups and friendlies while arcadian pools are going on...as far as I can see everybody wins if there's enough TVs to do it

practice_mAn

Smash Journeyman
i dunno that actually sounds like a great idea

but i agree with leon

im sorry but its true

I dont like change... it's too much hassle on everyones end...

Enough people have to really want to do it and be able to put in the energy for it to work. And the organizer has to be pro and he can't mess up aka stab can't be running it JK LOL<3)

Kira-

Smash Champion
those are good ideas but then ranked people dont get to beat on noobs. and we love doing that. it's just robbing us of more matches, and the aim should be to get all players as many matches as possible (without being excessive)

i think pools solves everything on it's own. just tinker with the amount of people per pool and you're good. and thanks for reminding me, i have one last venue to call (venues are a bunch of flakes >=). i still don't understand how the arcadian tournament got 80 entrants.

oh let me run this by you guys too. i was thinking instead of big pools where more people get into the bracket and play more people, just do small pools of 5 where the top 3 make it out.. but do it twice. Then less matches are played overall (less time-consuming) and everyone feels much more accomplished while still keeping the number of matches played on the higher end. the only thing about this is that noobs get ***** again... but only the very low end of noobs. And they still get 4 matches, better than 2 and out. $5 bucks for 4 matches... well it doesn't sound great but it's twice as good as the alternative.

also i just figured out yesterday that you can extend the quick reply box. awesome.

joeplicate

Smash Master
you could do two full double elimination brackets

you'd have winners winners finals, winners losers finals, losers winners, losers losers
winners grand, losers grand, grand grand, lol

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
However you do it, I'm sure everyone can agree that the lower players shouldn't get ranked higher than the better players. However, if you can make it so that the lower players can place better than each other without the expense of the higher player's ranks, that might be interesting. *shrugs* Perhaps make the loser's bracket work like that or something if anything at all.

Top Bottom