• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo series - Crimson Map Pack out now!

smashman90

Smash Lord
I found out about some new items in Halo 3. For one, there will be atvs in the game, I believe they are called mongooses. Secondly, a new grenade, spike grenades. You throw them and spikes shoot out of the grenades, hence the name. and there is a new weapon for the brutes, it's like their version of an smg, and it has a huge blade on it. What's the deal with Brutes and big blades on their guns? Must be a personal problem. . .

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
What's the deal with Brutes and big blades on their swords? Must be a personal problem. . .
so that was an error on your part right?

Anyways, if i had the money, i'd seriously consider getting a 360 just for this game. Not to say there aren't other great games on the 360, but i'm most hyped for this.

tappy

Smash Ace
Anyways, if i had the money, i'd seriously consider getting a 360 just for this game. Not to say there aren't other great games on the 360, but i'm most hyped for this.
i agree:grin: it's really gonna be worth it, cant wait to see all the new stuff like the new guns and maps:)

tappy

Smash Ace
*sigh*....Once again,another Halo game.I'm not really hyped for this,i could just wait till it's released,then i will get my inital impressions.
i think it's gonna be great, but the trailer didn't really impress me as much as the HALO WARS trailer did;)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I found, and still find the Halo 3 trailer much more impressive than the Halo Wars trailer. Reasoning? The Halo 3 trailer is done using the game engine while the Halo Wars trailer is just CGI.

Own3dGuerO

Smash Apprentice
Oh and I forgot about another weapon, the spartan laser. And from what I have seen, it looks awesome. My source of this info. is EGM btw.
They released about 6 screenshots from team play.
And yeah the Spartan Laser looks awesome.
There's even a new vehicle they were going to use in Halo2.
It's a 2 person ATV called a Mongoose.

Aha can't wait =[]!

F8X

Smash Ace
I just watched the new trailer for halo 3 on espn.. If I read the text fast enough I think it said feb 07:eek: Still not sure... anyway the trailer(even though mostly cgi) was great
Who ideas to have the introduction done by 2 kids looking up at the stars? I almost missed the ad because of this

F8X

Smash Ace
http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1797/Halo-3-SixtySecond-Trailer/p1

It's all CGI aside from the two kids at the beginning. That shield grenade was very interesting, though. And no, the commercial doesn't say anything about February... it just said "Finish the Fight 2007" like at E3.
I realize now that the commercial says Finish the fight:) (I swear that text came up fast)
Anyway didn't bungie say that parts of the ad would be real-time, although the only section that would support this(imo) would be when John(master chief) runs off that cliff/hill

anyway I thought those kids were real time:laugh:

ps. Did anyone get a good look at the pistol Master Chief has? (new, old)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Bungie said it'd be part live action and mostly CGI. The only thing that wasn't CGI were the two kids at the beginning. Lots of folks think that the two kids at the beginning are John and possibly Kelly.

tappy

Smash Ace
new trailer is great:) i liked that dome that he used to protect himself, do you think it will be usable in the game?

smashman90

Smash Lord
new trailer is great:) i liked that dome that he used to protect himself, do you think it will be usable in the game?
I didn't get to see the trailer, but to try to answer your question tappy, I would say that it will probably be usable in the game. But who knows, there's always a chance they might get rid of it before the game is out. But I think they will still keep that dome. So we will have to just wait and see.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Bungie said it'd be part live action and mostly CGI. The only thing that wasn't CGI were the two kids at the beginning. Lots of folks think that the two kids at the beginning are John and possibly Kelly.
Hence where he picked up his helmet.

It "supposely" seems like the same place(Battlefield and the beginning with all the grass). Dude, when he put the AR on his back and that dirt fell off the gun..I got goosebumps. Let's not talk about the dashing and the nade shield. That was badass and absolutely unexpected.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Of course I'm in on the beta, Chill! My calendar is marked for 16th of May now as well!

I really like these vidocs they've been releasing. Much more satisfying than just getting some screens every few months, you know? I agree on the environments, High Ground, Snow Bound and Valhalla all look especially polished, yet every texture on them is placeholder. Incredible! The other maps, one looking somewhat like Turf's successor and the other in what looks like the canyon you cross in Halo 2 on the floating terminal, you could see were unfinished, the canyon level not even having a sky.

I didn't see anything wrong with the characters, the models look pretty **** good (and I mean, with what they've got to work with, it can't improve much more), and the animations looked alright, but sometimes a little wonky. That's to be expected though considering that footage is from the Alpha version. All the footage in this Vidoc is... which makes me happy, because I already think the game looks great, and it can only get better from there.

The game should look outstanding with the finalized textures, lighting, animations, etc.

The bubble shield and trip mine are pretty rad, the portable grav-lift looks pretty sweet, too.

I really can't wait to see footage from the beta. That is, if they even release another video before the beta comes out in about a month. It might happen. I hope so.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I don't know the names of the levels but when I saw one of the Spartans run across this very polished looking level he didn't look so great. I was watching the video on Gamespot which uses a much, much smaller screen. I re-watched it on IGN and the characters do look better than I orginally thought but I still think they look kind of "Halo2+".

Those effects are pretty sweet. Shield grenade was cool. The trip mine is genius. I have longed for something like that. The ability to hijack vehicles was a start and this makes Onfoot vs. Vehicle combat even more interesting.

Alot of the stuff looked really good considering the stage the game is in. Tell us how the Beta goes.

Nevermind you guys are under a disclosure agreement right?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
As far as I know we'll be able to talk all we want about the beta. I haven't heard of an NDA of any kind, but it's possible they could slam my face with one when I go to download it.

I watched the video on my 32" HDTV a few times (In the 720p version available on XBL), so I got a really clear look at everything in the video. The Spartan models used in the Alpha actually are the Halo 2 models, just with higher resolution textures. The beta is said to have the actual Halo 3 Spartan models, so I guess we'll see!

And man, that trip mine is going to make so many "OH ****!" moments.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So, there's been a few video leaks of the Microsoft internal beta. This is different from the public beta, mind you, sporting two more levels than what we, the public, will be getting. The two levels? Last Resort, an updated version of Zanzibar from Halo 2, and Epitaph, what appears to be a combination of levels such as Gemini, Collosus and ****ation.

What levels with the public beta feature? The three most polished; High Ground, being hailed as the new Zanzibar (not a remake though, that's Last Resort), Snowbound, a smaller map with underground caves protected by shield doors and snowy ridges, and Valhalla, being hailed as the new Blood Gulch (though not a remake. Blood Gulch, or Coagulation as it was in Halo 2, is likely to appear in the final game as its own map).

But yeah! New videos that were leaked! They contain new info, obviously.

The Halo 1 pistol is back. Sort of! The model for the weapon looks like it did in Halo 1, and is now named the M6G. It does not have a scope and can be dual wielded. Has 8 rounds per clip, takes 6 headshots to kill. You cannot fire as fast as you can pull the trigger like you could in Halo 1.

The Plasma Pistol has received treatment to balance out the usage of the Halo 2 "noob combo." Remember how you could pick up a Plasma Pistol, charge it, run around until you saw someone, shoot them with it and then switch to the Battle Rifle and cap them for a headshot? Well, the charged pistol used to reduce the battery of the weapon by 10, now it completely depletes the battery. You get one noob combo shot out of the Plasma Pistol, sorry noob combo lovers.

SMG no longer has recoil that kicked your cursor up in Halo 2. Said to be a faster shooting, but less accurate and dual wieldable version of the Assault Rifle.

Equipment in deployed with the X button. Equipment revealed by Bungie and in the leaked videos include:
- Bubble shield, a protective shield that can block any projectile, or contain any projectile if fired inside of the bubble. Lasts 20 seconds before disappearing.
- Portable grav-lift, drop it down and ascend to new heights anywhere on the map.
- Trip mine, a proximity mine. Perfect to drop right before being splattered by a Warthog.
- Power drainer, described as a twister that rapidly depletes your shields if in the area near it and will kill you if too close to it once activated. Kill registers as "Killed by the Guardians."
- Radar drainer, messes with your radar if you're in the blast vicinity. You may suddenly notice a bunch of red dots on your motion sensor while in there is only a single guy near you.

The public beta is only 13 days away, and I can't ****ing wait. Will I be seeing anybody else from here in Matchmaking?

edit: Confirmed a while ago: There are portable turrets in the game. You can fire them while they're planted on the ground, or pick them up and carry them around like a minigun, which causes your jump height to decrease and your speed to drop. While carrying a turret the view is also in third person, not first. There's a very lovely walking animation to stare at while running around with one.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This is amazing, Xbox 360 is getting such sweet games! Thanks for the info Cashed, I'm stuck between Wii and Xbox360, Brawl and Halo [and devil may cry 4!!!!!!!] I hope I can get both consoles but I might have to leave the 360 until later.

I knew they'd put the X button to good use, they said they would in EGM a few months ago and they came through. This game looks leaps and bounds over Halo 2, unlike the Halo haters think.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
My jaw dropped when I saw the release date. Saw it when I was about to fire up the beta this morning in one of the images on the 360 dashboard. Soooo happy.

Oh, and the beta is ****ing fantastic. I dominate Slayer on Highground. Valhalla feels a little big because the beta seems to only go up to 8 players (some websites said it was 12, but I've only played 6 and 8 player matches so far). The mancannon makes getting back into the action really easy though, but I'd still like to see more people on the map. I'm finally used to the controls... though I still make an occasional mistake. The only fatal mistake I've encountered so far is having a Power Drainer and hitting X to reload... Because then you drop the Power Drainer, it destroys your shields and you still aren't reloading.

Anyways, back to the beta. I've only racked up 350 kills so far on my main account, 439 on another.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The 27th!!!!!??? That's when school starts back after vacation! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Looks like I'll be skipping school for a week if I get a 360.

But now I'm faced with this problem, choosing between a Wii and Xbox 360. I figure I could work my butt off for vacation, rack up like $1000 [I have to save some, of course] and buy a wii and a game [probably LoZ] while I let my mom buy the Xbox, but then I'll have like 0 games other than my GC games which is what I want a Wii for anyway. Then I still need to upgrade my internet speed and get XBL, ok well, I better start saving/working now...

Anyone wanna buy spiderman 1 for GC...? lol

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
RE, you have to get a Wii. I'll admit that X360 looks MUCH more appealing right now, especially with Halo 3 and stuff, but I mean, your at SWF, surely Brawl is your priority.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Halo Threeee!

So, I played my friend's beta, and I have to say. I liked it a lot. The thing is, though, that I wasn't a Halo 2 fan.

Halo 3 definately goes back to the roots of Halo 1, and the weapons are a lot more balanced.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I guess I'll stick with Wii, my plan sounds pretty flawed since the probability of me finding a job I like, want to go to everyday and pays well is low. I might try my luck at an arcade I am semi-well known in, I just hope it works out =)

I must say, the beta looks amazing, the graphics are amazing [and not even done yet, but graphics are just a bonus] the sound is great, the action looks intense [and in the beta you can only play with 8 people] and the gameplay looks more fun that ever. It's definitely going to do well, but I'm a little worried about the screen blur you get when you get shot, I hope you can customize it.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I played the Beta today at a friend's place (couldn't get it to download yesterday because we're doing it through Crackdown and they had a problem). Fun! I like Valhalla a lot, even more than Blood Gulch. And yeah, at first I kept accidentally hitting X and not the right shoulder button for reloading, too, but now I've got it down. It handles as beautifully as ever, and I love the new weapons and gadgets. It's sooo satisfying nailing someone with the laser, or mancannoning yourself to an enemy and hitting him in the back of the head before you hit the ground.

One of the best things I saw was at the Uphill level during CTF when the enemies set up the personal lift thing outside the base and ramped the gate with their buggy. lmao, very creative. And I love being a Killjoy.

Only problems I noticed were network issues. 1 in 15 games or so the screen would just go black and they'd show the player's names and then people would slowly die and everyone with a microphone repeated "WTF" over and over again. I'm sure that's something they'll address.

Ooh, you can record your matches! That's awesome.

Will the stats be saved for when Halo 3 actually comes out? I planned on getting a 360 whenever Halo 3 comes out, and it looks like I'll be getting one sooner than I expected. Sweet *******.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So this weekend is going to just be a Halo 3 beta fest for me. I've yet to encounter the network issue you talked about, Matt, but one of my friends had me download a video of his where the game ended as soon as it started. Nobody quit, it just ended.

And I'm pretty sure the stats are gonna be deleted, as it's beta... but hey, who knows!

I realized we're playing an old version of Valhalla too. Watch the title screen. There's broken trees by the lake base, the Pelican is smoking and there's more foliage around the map.

Top Bottom