• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo series - Crimson Map Pack out now!

foxandyounglink

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for double post, but i feel the need to bump this board up i guess...

Ok, so I almost die everyday waiting for this game to come out. Normal... right? Anyway, recently I heard about the books, and I have a few questions about them. Do they take place before the games? Are they good books or GOOD books? Umm, How many are there? And how much do they cost, thankies!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
There are currently four books. Fall of Reach takes place immediately before Halo 1, and runs right into it. The Flood is Halo 1, but goes deeper into the Covenant and such. First Strike is after Halo 1 and before Halo 2. The Ghosts of Onyx takes place during Halo 2. There is a fifth book coming out called "Contact Harvest" which will take place even before Fall of Reach. I've only read Fall of Reach, but it was an awesome read. I'll pick up Contact Harvest when it comes out too.

Also, new EGM. New info on Halo 3. Jub Jub, the map everywhere has said was super awesome, is the spiritual successor to Lockout, but it's set up a top trees, not in a snowy area!

The Brute Mauler is the Brute Shotgun, and is dual wieldable.

The Brute Prowler has a driver, a gunner and two passengers. Spectre, anyone?

The Hornet is a Marine vehicle that looks like the hover vehicles they were trying to incorporate into Halo 2. Only confirmed for single player so far.

The Elephant is only available on Sandtrap (the largest map in a Halo game ever), and is a moving base.

Elites ARE back for multiplayer, and more balanced.

The Gravity Hammer is usable in single player and multiplayer.

Forge allows you to edit the maps. Not actual geometry or anything, but you can place boxes, grenades, weapons, vehicles, flag scoring areas, fusion cores, etc where ever you want on any of the maps.

During co-op play, player 2 will be the Arbiter. The entire campaign is through the eyes of Master Chief, you will NOT play as the Arbiter unless you're playing co-op and you're player 2.

System link co-op is in, but online co-op isn't certain yet. Bungie is going to worry about it last, and if it doesn't make it into the shipping product, it will likely end up available as downloadable content.

There's a couple new equipment types. A shield that only shows up in front of you which you can shoot through one side, but not the other. A flare which blinds players facing it. Perfect for snagging the flag and getting the hell outta there.

69 days!

MechanizedDeviousFox

Smash Journeyman
There are currently four books. Fall of Reach takes place immediately before Halo 1, and runs right into it. The Flood is Halo 1, but goes deeper into the Covenant and such. First Strike is after Halo 1 and before Halo 2. The Ghosts of Onyx takes place during Halo 2. There is a fifth book coming out called "Contact Harvest" which will take place even before Fall of Reach. I've only read Fall of Reach, but it was an awesome read. I'll pick up Contact Harvest when it comes out too.

Also, new EGM. New info on Halo 3. Jub Jub, the map everywhere has said was super awesome, is the spiritual successor to Lockout, but it's set up a top trees, not in a snowy area!

The Brute Mauler is the Brute Shotgun, and is dual wieldable.

The Brute Prowler has a driver, a gunner and two passengers. Spectre, anyone?

The Hornet is a Marine vehicle that looks like the hover vehicles they were trying to incorporate into Halo 2. Only confirmed for single player so far.

The Elephant is only available on Sandtrap (the largest map in a Halo game ever), and is a moving base.

Elites ARE back for multiplayer, and more balanced.

The Gravity Hammer is usable in single player and multiplayer.

Forge allows you to edit the maps. Not actual geometry or anything, but you can place boxes, grenades, weapons, vehicles, flag scoring areas, fusion cores, etc where ever you want on any of the maps.

During co-op play, player 2 will be the Arbiter. The entire campaign is through the eyes of Master Chief, you will NOT play as the Arbiter unless you're playing co-op and you're player 2.

System link co-op is in, but online co-op isn't certain yet. Bungie is going to worry about it last, and if it doesn't make it into the shipping product, it will likely end up available as downloadable content.

There's a couple new equipment types. A shield that only shows up in front of you which you can shoot through one side, but not the other. A flare which blinds players facing it. Perfect for snagging the flag and getting the hell outta there.

69 days!
Goood info, but where did you say you got this from? And are you just making this up or actually telling the truth?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
**** I FORGOT ABOUT MY EGM! [I hate missing and issue, I missed the Area 51 review a while back as well as Kingdom Hearts 2]

I hope it's not too late. This news makes me want to get a Xbox. Only time can tell which console I'll own...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Four player online co-op. Four player online co-op. Four player online co-op. Four player online co-op.

Competitively or cooperatively.

This game is going to have so much replay value.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Has anyone tried the limited edition "GAME FUEL" Mountain Dew? It's all halo 3-themed, I'll take a pic/vid of it tomorrow and upload it for everyone to bask in the Halo-y goodness!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
My mom tasted normal MD the other day. She hated for some reason, I think it's ok. So is it a new flavor or does it just have a different design on the can/bottle?

BTW Cashed, you're a monster, look at what you've done to MCs face. Absolutely despic[insert flying spit here]able.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
It's a new flavor, "Dew with an invigorating blast of citrus cherry flavor with other natural flavors", slightly less sugar and caffene than Vault. It's got a Spartan, who I'm pretty **** sure is Master Cheif and the Halo 3 logo-thing (the 3 in the 3/4 circle)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Four player online co-op. Four player online co-op. Four player online co-op. Four player online co-op.

Competitively or cooperatively.
Dear god, that was one of the reasons I loved Perfect Dark so much. Co op was awesome, but competative was brilliant. Knew if I could afford it I'd get a 360 as well as my Wii, this just garunteed it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It's a new flavor, "Dew with an invigorating blast of citrus cherry flavor with other natural flavors", slightly less sugar and caffene than Vault. It's got a Spartan, who I'm pretty **** sure is Master Cheif and the Halo 3 logo-thing (the 3 in the 3/4 circle)
Hmm, cherry is normally a good flavor in anything but the 'other natural flavors' look questionable, but I can just picture people buying this all over, some people might buy it for a collection [lol] and some people might buy because it has something Halo related on it.

Looks like whoever makes MD [I should know this, but I don't, is it Pepsi?]is gonna rake in the dough.

Dear god, that was one of the reasons I loved Perfect Dark so much. Co op was awesome, but competative was brilliant. Knew if I could afford it I'd get a 360 as well as my Wii, this just garunteed it.
Wait, PD had 4 play co-op? Jeez I wish I knew that, I would have begged my friend to let me join in on the 1p fun, never mind the fact that was was younger than 10 years old, I have keen eyes.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Yup, Pepsi. Halo 3 is attached to so many things it's ridiculous. Burger King will be selling Halo 3 "survival kits." No Idea what they are. But rest assured, you'll see the Master Chief on the sides of their sodas and fries. Then there's the Halo 3 slurpees at 7-11. Some 7-11s are even taking pre-orders for the game, major wtf. And then you have Pontiac, who is going to be throwing Halo 3 into their advertising starting later this month and giving away a special Halo 3 car (if only it were the working Warthog that WETA made).

I never played PD's co-op, but I know there was the whole "Counter-Op" thing, where one person was the bad guy, right? Halo 3's competitive co-op isn't that, but you'll get points for how you play. Getting a head shot will get you more points and may even get you a multiplier, while jacking a vehicle from an enemy, killing a Brute instead of a Grunt, etc. will also net you points.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Hmm, survival kit? definately picking one up! got any Idea for when it comes out? good b-day present for a friend who is the biggest halo fanboy evar?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The publicity on Halo 3 is a good thing not only for Bungie's sales, but for the recognition of the industry in major main stream venues. The video game industry could easily become similar to the movie industry in terms of mass market advertising campaigns.

Even IF the soda does blow, lol.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
That's what Microsoft is saying about their marketing strategy with Halo 3. They aren't competing with marketing strategies of other video games, they're trying to make it a larger campaign than you'd see for a blockbuster movie.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wait, PD had 4 play co-op?
No, only 2 people (Or 1 person and 1-2 bots)

And that's a shame Cashed, I liked playing the baddie, trying to kill my friends :( Oh well, still sounds fun anyway.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
My friend reserved Halo 3 at 7/11, Cashed. He was the only person on the list. I dunno why he did it, I would personally be more comfortable reserving it at a Gamestop or something.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That's great! Btw guys, did you hear about all of the stuff some hackers found in Halo? Well they hacked the beta and found stuff like the Pelican [I think you can pilot it now] and flamethrower. I can't remember anything else right now but I have the feeling that this is old news...

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I'm a cheap, little bugger. Roughly, how long did it take Halo 2 to get a price drop?
I can wait a good three months to buy Halo 3 if I have to, but if it's going to take a whole year then I'll just buy it when it comes out.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Halo 2 didnt drop for over a year.

And yeah Exodus, that stuff was revealed when the beta was out, all appearing to be true except flying the Pelican. You can only man its turret, which is still awesome.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Anyone listened to the Bungie Podcast yesterday? There was some interesting stuff/stories about the Single Player.
Of course! I find Bungie's podcast to be really enjoyable compared to most. Of course, they're really the only developers I enjoy seeing how they make their games and just listening to them jabber on about them. In yesterday's podcast though I was really interested in Frankie's discussion of their online co-op experience with the second level. He mentioned going into an area of the level that's the Marine barracks and throwing down equipment to help him take down some Brutes and Jackals. As soon as he threw down his Power Drainer, the Brutes threw up a Regenerator. Their shields still drained, and the Power Drainer exploded, like it always does, but it didn't kill them because in the split second that the drain effect was there and it was switching to detonation mode, the Regenerator recharged their shields. One of the Jackals in the room threw down a Flare, blinding Frankie, who calls out to his buddies for help. Frankie can't see it, but one of the Brutes throws down a Radar Jammer which causes Frankie's radar to go crazy with red dots. Frankie is blind and according to his radar, enemies are all around him. The Brutes used this to their advantage, advancing on him and killing him. Owned.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Aww I was looking forward to flying a Pelican...

Wait a minute, that's AI? Holy crap that sounds amazing. It's sad people don't know a good game when they see one. A lot of FPS' last year were lack luster, yet people keep saying "Halo is a crappy FPS". I understand people have opinions but the least they could do is do a little research before bashing something.

Weed

Smash Lord
I'm having a crisis as to buy a 360 or a Wii...one for Halo 3 and the other for Brawl..

I'll have to wait months for brawl, watching my friends play Halo, but will it all be worth it come December 3rd?

I cant decide

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Halo and Brawl are so good you can't mooch off your friends to play it, you have to own it. I have the same problem sans the friends playing Halo 3. As far as I know there's only 1 friend I have who has a 360 and will get Halo 3, he lives pretty far from me though =(

No one I know has a Wii btw.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Has anyone gotten their hands on a can of the Limited Edition Halo 3 Mountain Dew Cough Syrup? I'm totally trying some tonight.

Just for the lol's.

EDIT: My girlfriend and I tried out the soda and it wasn't bad. Tasted rather like gummy bears, we both agreed. And certainly not at all like cough syrup. I'd recommend giving it a try.

MCP0

Smash Rookie
well im sry to burst you pros bubble but, IVE NEVER LOST A MATCH OF HALO. Ive been to mlg challenged orge 1 and 2 carbon saiyan beat em ALLLLLLLL. When this game comes out i will continue my domination of you pathetic nubs. Lator boiz

Top Bottom