• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hey! Watch out!" Link Video & Critique Thread

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Yeah, it was a mistake from Peach; the player tried to escape from the stun (you can see a smash DI after the hit). But, I like how to I breaked his shield :)

Rapax

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys =)

I started to play Link seriously one month ago. Since I made some progress, but still have a lot to learn, I hope you can critique some of my latest matches :)

Friendlies:
vs. Ganondorf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCe5QHUQDs
vs. Mario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_B9E9oAAdc (I suck here really bad >_>)

Tournament: (The 3rd of this set wasnt recorded, so I only post 2 of the 3; I won anyways)
vs. Samus 1/2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shx07sCiRWE
vs. Samus 2/2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHeeUAhlQMA

Thanks a lot beforehand =)

PS: I hope the quality is alright...

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi guys =)

I started to play Link seriously one month ago. Since I made some progress, but still have a lot to learn, I hope you can critique some of my latest matches :)

vs. Mario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_B9E9oAAdc (I suck here really bad >_>)
Welcome, Link is arguably THE hardest character to play well. If you want to be good with him expect at least 8 months before you're efficient. If you still want to learn Link keep at it and don't get discouraged;).

Critique:
(Whoa textures) The most important things you need to work on are, 1 don't waste moves, 2 know the best option and 3 spacing.
In the first 10 seconds you draw a bomb, quickdraw an arrow, throw the bomb, and shoot a second arrow. All of these attacks are one at a time and miss without Mario moving. Link has slow projectiles but he can use them together. Mario can reflect with his cape so aiming for him would not be smart but you could have setup a bad situation for him. For example SH (short hop) draw a bomb>throw Link's boomerang, which won't hurt if reflected>Zair through the wind (if reflected)>and either throw the bomb or Fsmash when Mario's stunned from the Zair.
Almost every attack you did was one at a time, directly at Mario. Many times attacks are better to get a reaction than to hit. Link has a lot of lag and needs to force bad situations for his opponent to get the upper hand. Experiment with attacks that work well together. Quick draw shortens the time for charged arrows too; SH and/or charge arrows for better distance.

Your spacing needs work so keep practicing. A 'rule of thumb' is space so the tip of Link's attack hits, no closer. Link ends up being a passive fighter with forcing approaches and spamming until he has a good opportunity to attack then uses that (figurative) momentum to play offense.

@ 0:34 you jump over Mario's recovery and FF (fast fall) Bair. If you had quick edgehogged Mario would have died. Baiting the reaction for Mario to fear your interception was good you just used the wrong follow up. Link has great close to the stage interception tactics but is super easy to gimp. Be careful and don't intercept farther than Link's second jump can recover. Keep in mind for most recoveries the character has few places they can move and guard there.
@ 0:45 you fall too far then throw the bomb at the wall to recover. Try to recover ASAP to avoid these situations, Zair would work there. Mario's cape was a risk but going strait up with upB your momentum wouldn't have been affected and he would have missed that far out. Bombs are better for insurance when recovering because Link regains his upB and momentum.
@ 0:59 You FF Fair beyond where Mario's recovering. Running off the stage>Nair or edgehogging would have worked. Be cautious and intercept where Mario must move to live. Unless Link jumps off stage he shouldn't FF attacks, FF Bair (Link's fastest air attack) is the only situation when I'd FF to intercept.

OoS (out of shield) you roll a lot and Link's roll is bad. Try to OoS SH/Jump>attack or airdodge. Walking away and countering can be safer than rolling.

DAC is punishable as an approach.

@ 2:11 Link's Up throw might have killed Mario. Up throw KOs at 150%+.

@ 2:23 Bomb and arrow work together, good job. Try to combine projectiles like this more. 2:39 nice edge guard. 3:05 well played intercept, safe and effective. Slightly later you gale guard, this can be a good strategy but if edgehogging will work it's best to rely on that. Only Gale guard if the opponent has no chase of hitting Link; most interception tactics are more effective.

At the end you're playing smarter. 3:28 jab faster so the opponent doesn't counter.
At the very end you're too aggressive and space too close giving Mario the advantage. Mario's faster, Link wins with attack range.

Momentum cancel with Bair.

That's about it. For reference, Mario's cap will damage but not move Link in any other way while Link's clawshot is out. Great for recovering, it works for grabbing too. Keep practicing:bee:.

Rapax

Smash Apprentice
Welcome, Link is arguably THE hardest character to play well. If you want to be good with him expect at least 8 months before you're efficient. If you still want to learn Link keep at it and don't get discouraged;).

Critique:
(Whoa textures) The most important things you need to work on are, 1 don't waste moves, 2 know the best option and 3 spacing.

That's about it. For reference, Mario's cap will damage but not move Link in any other way while Link's clawshot is out. Great for recovering, it works for grabbing too. Keep practicing:bee:.
Wow, thats some critique :)

Thanks a lot, I will keep that in mind and practice more on that points :bee:

PS: If textures are a problem, I will upload my next videos without them?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Wow, thats some critique :)

Thanks a lot, I will keep that in mind and practice more on that points :bee:

PS: If textures are a problem, I will upload my next videos without them?
Nah, textures are awesome!

I do agree, spacing is vital for Link, and that's something you can always improve. Another thing I noticed was there were a few times where you were standing still. Link can always be doing something. And yeah, Link does take a LONG time to get good with, so don't get discouraged. I've been playing him for about a year now.

I hate Yoshi's Island. I think it's a terrible level for Link, and I think the rising platforms actually hinder Link's recovery more than they help it. Shy guys suck too.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I have no idea why you bothered recording that match with Lucario. That Marth was terrible and all 3 of his stocks were basically suicides. There is no way to critique that. But then again most of your opponents are pretty ********. Where do you find these people?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I have no idea why you bothered recording that match with Lucario. That Marth was terrible and all 3 of his stocks were basically suicides. There is no way to critique that. But then again most of your opponents are pretty ********. Where do you find these people?
This made me laugh :laugh:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hahaha.

Well, in all fairness, Wifi can make people look pretty awful. All three SDs looked like they could very easily have been caused by lag, especially considering the slow pace of the match. AiB ladder matches?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
If those are AIB ladder matches i could so be near the top in no time. lol.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can't record any over 3 minutes so someone has do something stupid. Do you ever play wifi? Of course it looks ******** it's wifi. I never play Lucario and was looking for basic advice, not an MU analysis or spam like this^. Yeah those were from AiB.

Edit: I'm short tempered because wifi's a different metagame and never looks impressive but is all I have. I don't post wifis to try to gloat about my mad skill or anything because there's a big element of chance with the connections' strength. A reason why i don't name people I play against is because I know they're better than the cr***y 3 min videos I post. The people who wifi are good, it's a great way to expand your metagame knowledge.
This was BlubbaPinecone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3BBhSOYdnM
Legan in white:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBTtjGGO6fo

They're better than that. Wifi's not full of *******, although that Marth vs my Lucario sucked. Good people regularly play wifi and improve from it. I'm fed-up with getting c*** like I play scrubs all the time just because the only people I play are through wifi.

------------------------
Legan said to learn other characters so I played random and got Lucario. Someone beating me in a **** match with a character I never use would not allow a basic critique of my technique so I posted one that showed my (lol)skills for advice. And it had to be under 3 min so Marth had to SD a lot.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
And it had to be under 3 min so Marth had to SD a lot.
Uhh... No.

yes i know there are good wifi players, I've played them. I am a Wifi Player only being from Hawaii. I'm not saying I am amazing, or that you are a bad player. Just saying that you need to think about what type of matches you put up. Yes i understand its hard to get matches under 3 mins as that is something i have to abide by myself.

Generally i have a few guidelines for uploading videos. It cannot go up if there is more then one suicide per person. It wont go up if the other player is just so terrible that I am able to walk over them with effort. Or if i accidentally edge hog a few times, thus making the victory a little boring. The only times any of those guidelines are overruled is if something funny or interesting happens during the match.

This match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb4fSsmA9bU is an example of a match that would have not been put up on youtube. You can see the lags effect on mostly Pit on the egg roll portion. The only reason it did get put up is someone wanted to use a few pieces of it for a combo video.

The Link(Me) vs Wolf(Blae) match that i had put up by infernal doom. Is something that does pass. It's got some good stuff, a pretty good opponent, and is fairly interesting.

If you want "quality" matches up. Try asking an online friend for some 2 stock matches or if that doesn't work set the timer for 3 mins and if it looks like its going to end in a tie, suicide before it hits 5 seconds.

Once again its not an attack on you or your play style. You just should think about what videos you put up. Is it even worth recording? Does it really show off the way i play? Does it have some cool combo or something funny? Or is it just some random match that you easily win, which feels like its only up saying, "look how awesome i am, i can own this noob." If its a really bad match for them, don't put it up. And just because its under 3 mins doesn't automatically mean its worth of being recorded.

Edit: I forgot. Only time you may want to put up a bad match. Is if its part of a good set and you are putting them all up. Possibly if you are desperate for new footage online, which i sometimes do when i've been away for a long time. Or if you are the one who is bad in the video and you want critique.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, actually, I was looking at a couple of your vids, Rizen, and thought a couple kinda looked similar to how I play (If they were me that's fine btw).

You can still look at videos of you destroying someone and pull a critique out of it, although it's going to be very lacking. Even if they have a couple of silly suicides you can still get some stuff out of it if they do well otherwise. In particular, I think Rizen was asking more "Am I even playing Lucario the right way?" not "Am I playing this matchup correctly?" Besides, there's nothing requiring you to watch Rizen's videos. If you don't like them Ryos, you don't have to watch them. If he wants to upload them, doesn't he have every right to as long as both parties don't mind that it's up? And besides, who's to say where the line for quality is drawn? Should we say only matches between people like M2K, Ally, ADHD, and DEHF should be recorded?

It can be no moar fite-ing tiemz?

In other news, I played Sasook a few nights ago on wifi. I was surprised at how unterrible the connection was. Sook is pretty awesome and really smart, haha.

In other other news, I got in contact with the guy who has my tourney replays, so they should be ready for someone to record in a few days hopefully.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I was just clarifying my point since he took offense to it. He was also complaining or what looked like complaining about people saying he played only noobs. I was just offering advice on what he could do if he really doesn't want to hear that kind of stuff aside from just ignoring it.

Also i don't usually watch them. I looked at the Lucario one cause he asked about critique and I've played a few good Lucario.

To be honest i don't watch much top player matches either. I'm completely bored of watching high tier characters fight each other.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I was just clarifying my point since he took offense to it. He was also complaining or what looked like complaining about people saying he played only noobs.
Why do you think I took offense to it?
But then again most of your opponents are pretty ********. Where do you find these people?
Also i don't usually watch them. I looked at the Lucario one cause he asked about critique and I've played a few good Lucario.
I only recorded the Lucario one because he's one of my worst characters and I wanted a general critique. I'm trying to improve my scrub Lucario. The Link replays are vs good people who often win 1st or top 3 in ladders and wifi events. When I space someone well I like to post it. They're good and not vs *******.

Most bad ones are uploaded for a possible combo clip or showing a tactic like gale pushing Mario. You should see all the replays I don't post.

Let's drop this.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Sure lets drop it after you get the last word. lol. Thats totally mature.

I But then again most of your opponents are pretty ********. Where do you find these people?
Anyway. Your opponents have nothing to do with how skilled you are. I dont understand how you can take offense to that. They may or may not be your friends, but at the same time you're saying they are bad matches.

Either way your opponents do not represent you in anyway. If you get offended by that, that is really your problem since there is nothing at all that points to you or makes fun of you.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Sure lets drop it after you get the last word. lol. Thats totally mature.
You want to go back and forth with this last word thing?

I'm ticked because I asked for a critique not a series cynical posts about who I play from someone who admits they haven't seen most of my replays. Stop spamming the video thread.
Either way your opponents do not represent you in anyway. If you get offended by that, that is really your problem since there is nothing at all that points to you or makes fun of you.
Why bother mentioning it? My problem is your unnecessary spam post then elaborate definition of what should be uploaded and how you keep rationalizing your false grounding. "********", "That's totally mature", cut the bs; you're obviously mocking because you're ticked off too. I admit that I'm stressed and have a short fuse. And at this point were both spamming back and forth since any cause has become stupid. We can both quit or Scabe or Red Ryu can pull a Deva and say "Shut up you three... I mean two and stop acting like morons".

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hey if you wanna over react about a simple comment like that, don't think I'm going to lay down and take abuse from you.

You want a critique? You shouldn't smash with lucario when both characters are low%. Doesnt do enough knock back and marth should have been easily able to punish you for it regardless of you hitting him or not. You dropped an Up tilt combo for a Usmash at low% and should have been punished. Low% combos for Lucario when grounded tend to be jab cancels into side B>side B as it combos fairly well at low% Also yes lucario has a good roll. But you rolled around pointlessly and Marth should have been able to punish you but didn't. While Dair is good, in general, theres no point of approaching an aerial Marth with Dair as his Fair will beat it in range and probably speed. SH Dair>Dair is generally an okay idea for shield pressure, as it can catch spot dodges and other stuff. Other bits that you could have done better are that you and Marth both walked passed each other attacking several times. Which suggests you need to work on spacing. You used Up special to recover past Marth who was just sitting there waiting for you, a bad move and he actually finally punished you. You also rolled into a charging Fsmash and once again Marth didnt punish. You also threw out a bunch of random Fairs that could have left you wide open if Marth knew how to punish you. While Fair is pretty good for Lucario, its not really like Marth's Fair where you can just throw it out all match and just win. Lucarios Fair is weaker in knock back, especially at low %. Its more of a combo string move which usually is Fair>Fair>Nair on stage. It can also be used as a wall of pain off stage for poor recovery characters. But random Fairs against a Marth is not a good idea. This Marth wasnt the greatest at approaching, so you could have easily made use of Aura Sphere to build up damage safely. Not that it mattered.

What made this a terrible match for a critique. Marth suicided 3 times basically. He countered way too many times, and 1 out of like 6 or 7 landed. He was just throwing them out without even thinking. He didnt space anything and basically ran around without really thinking things through. He didnt know how to recover at all.

Also the first posts were unnecessary, i do admit that. But its not like the Link community here is all super serious about stuff anyway. I mean look Scabe and huggles laughed. But if you do want to talk about unnecessary stuff. This is a Link board, and requesting a Lucario critique does not belong here either. The posts after mine were also unnecessary and wouldn't have even came up if you posted the Lucario Critique in the correct boards. Also this whole C*** i don't really get what that's suppose to be, but that is unnecessary language. You want to appear to be mature by trying to end an argument. Don't go around using words that you have to bleep out. If you were mature about it in the first place and just politely stated that you didn't appreciate that comment instead of flipping out, i would have apologized and probably even edited out my post. Its not like i know what kind of stuff people tell you. You also jumped to conclusions assuming that what i said meant that all wifi players are noobs. When infact, if you read it carefully, me asking where you find these people, suggests that i am shocked by the fact that you have found so many not so great players. Suggesting even further that i believe there are a lot of good players out there on wifi.

Rizen

Smash Legend
To start, I admit continuing this isn't about Ryos4 or the trivial issue and is stupid. I'm in a bad mood so someone should tell us to shut up.
Hey if you wanna over react about a simple comment like that, don't think I'm going to lay down and take abuse from you.
I called you on something which started a long series of posts before you stopped being a jerk and copped to it. I'm not in the mood to let anyone get away with anything. You played with matches the entire argument and got what was coming to you.
This is a Link board, and requesting a Lucario critique does not belong here either.
It didn't waste thread space because other Link videos were with it. I knew at least one person mained Link and Lucario so I asked. If people don't want to critique it they can ignore the part about Lucario.
Also this whole C*** i don't really get what that's suppose to be, but that is unnecessary language. You want to appear to be mature by trying to end an argument. Don't go around using words that you have to bleep out.
I like the back and forth irony going on.
If you were mature about it in the first place and just politely stated that you didn't appreciate that comment instead of flipping out, i would have apologized and probably even edited out my post. Its not like i know what kind of stuff people tell you.
But then again most of your opponents are pretty ********. Where do you find these people?
I don't appreciate it. By the way, learn to recognize provoking phrasing because you're using it more than me.
You also jumped to conclusions assuming that what i said meant that all wifi players are noobs. When infact, if you read it carefully, me asking where you find these people, suggests that i am shocked by the fact that you have found so many not so great players. Suggesting even further that i believe there are a lot of good players out there on wifi.
If those are AIB ladder matches i could so be near the top in no time. lol.
AiB has really good wifi players, I guess you weren't familiar with that. The opponents in your videos weren't good.
Edit: I'm short tempered because wifi's a different metagame and never looks impressive but is all I have. I don't post wifis to try to gloat about my mad skill or anything because there's a big element of chance with the connections' strength. A reason why i don't name people I play against is because I know they're better than the cr***y 3 min videos I post. The people who wifi are good, it's a great way to expand your metagame knowledge.
^Notice the bleeped word refers to the bad playing quality of 3 min wifi replays. The other reason I thought you didn't play wifi is the player's skill in any wifi with an orange or red connection looks worse on replays. I've seen terrible wifi vids of top players. That's why people don't post many. Are your replays wifi?

------------------
Whatever, I need to weed old videos out of my youtube. Those are bad. Seriously, someone else post and tell Ryos and me to stop being morons. I'm so stressed, it's surprising me.
------------------
Thanks for the critique. I was trying to decide what character to learn first, starting with my worst which are Sonic, Lucario and PT. Right now I'm learning PT who looks more '********' than my Lucario lol. I am slightly offended by terms like ********, I should mention.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Huggles, against ZSS, I would use more protectiles over Zair, she has more trouble getting around it when her Side B contends with our Zair on some areas. Also you kept doing SH Fair off the ledge, just a habit I noticed.

Other thing I noticed is that your use dair a bit too much, you got punished in both matches when you used it too much. Some more projectiles might be useable, but that might just be me.

You are good with thinking quick and outside the box at times, Fast falling into Norfair's lava is a very good thing.

Good job overall.

I tried Lucario, if someone who knows him like Red Ryu wants to critique me, I'd be greatfull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KRqrQcyNrQ
Try and get some more matches with Luc if you want me to Critique, you three stocked him and I didn't get to see much.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, yeah, that was one of the things I noticed when I first saw the replays: "Needs more bombs." I think I kinda panicked the last match against ZSS. Haha, and that's like the third separate time someone's told me I use too much fair off the ledge; I wonder if that many people are telling me that independent of each other if it's something I should work on, haha.

Thanks for the critque Ryu. Anyone else who wants to critique, I would really appreciate it.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
as you've noticed, you do too much fair from the edge as well as you take too much risk with some dairs, specially the first one (against ZSS).
also, you need moar proyectiles xD, pressure more with boomerang when they're enough far away, try some surprice ACs wich stops opponents and you can take advantage if they don't react in time.
also try to remember zair's lenght, when you faced ZSS and you dodge'd a grab, you used zair too late and unnecesarily close to her.
against PT you did very well, maybe more shield against squirtle and remember that when squirtle land with an aerial they follow with jabs or tilts that are faster than most of link moves so keep your shield longer, or do a spin attack OoS (only if squirtle has enough damage).
very good use of norfair, you kept playing with the edges (I find that you can spam fair with invincibility frames here, so no complains about fair from the edges), some risky moves but they worked well, just spam a little more bombs and rangs (if the distance allow that)

well that's all, very good Link I must say :)

Rapax

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I may be the last one to critique anyone, because I'm not that good myself... But may I have the word anyway?

Well, you already got good critique, but I point out, what stroke me.

First off, your powershielding is outstanding :)
No, its really pretty good ;)

What was most evident to me, maybe its just, because I prefer to play a bit slower, but I think, that you should stay more calm. You always seem to me as you could get a heartattack every moment =/

This results often in missing with your attacks or bombing yourself after a doublejumped down-throw dircetly into the opponent. You have no need to deal damage to yourself^^
Stay more calm and play a bit more confusing. Use different strategies.
I never saw a Z-Air while holding a bomb or even a smashattack with a bomb in hand. Let your opponent guess what you are going to do and then catch him off-guard. Whenever you drew a bomb, you almost instantly got rid of it. Hold it a while, otherwise your opponent will always know what you gonna do with that bomb and act accordingly.

In the match with ZSS you airdodge a lot. You could have attacked with, well, almost everything at some occasions (0:25 or 2:06).

Another thing is, that you seemingly tend to spam F-Air as well as Z-Air (especially on the edge). Be it at the edge after your second or third Z-Air (don't always use it that often, rather use it to mix your edge-game up) or in Mid-Air as in your match with the Poke-Trainer.
Its not too good spamming any move. You get predictable and thats bad for every character. 7 of 13 moves in 20 seconds in the PT-match were F-Airs (1:30 to 1:50). Thats definitely too much. At least in my opinion...
Mix your edge-game up a bit more. Use sometimes the roll to get up, sometimes just stand up or jump off the edge or even attack from the edge. Don't always use 2-3 Z-Airs and attack with a F-Air.
At 2:13 you lose your stock due to another F-Air attempt...

Aside from that, you might profit from being more careful with your second jump? Everyone knows about Links not-too-good-recovery. And you lost a stock to your "jump-spam" in the ZSS-match.

Furthermore you should use your D-Air a bit more sparingly. Only to surprise or to kill your opponent (use it at the edge, for example). Against ZSS you used it 3-tims, but got only 1 hit. As for the U-Air, I assume that it was accidently in some cases, except at 1:56 (here you could have thrown a projectile or doublejump and B-Air) and 1:39 (you could have used a D-Air, for example [to not use F-Air again]).

At 2:55 you could have punished her with, whatever, an F-Smash, for example? But you played too hyperventilating and let that occasion slip.

I let it be with that for now. You play a good Link anyways, keep it up =)
I wish I was that good^^

PS: You utilized the stage form of Norfair very well ;)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wifis, not for critiques

Wifis
Rizen Link vs:
Mario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VygkCrOEnLA
MK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Gq-ltGGJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlfc1JHuAJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYmj3rTY47o

Lol, I counter Brinstar and people use a pocket MK that they're not as good with.
Pit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h582hoimxbo

Snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFgaAcZ7o6Y

(Gale push leads to 2nd KO at 1:44)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXtre1Fmzgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIs40DfuIHE

ZSS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1G5mFD9FwA

<><><><><>
Rizen Pokemon Trainer vs Jigglypuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7KiehM5p0

I threw this in because most of the post is Link replays so it's not wasting space. Tell me if that's not cool.

Rizen

Smash Legend
My friend Anaky asked if you could crituque this match please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2665y55td0E

Theres a total of 5 matches but he said he'd prefer this one be critiqued.
He's repeating the same general action several times in a row when returning from the ledge. Immediately returning with a ledgestall Fair or air dodge, both have the spacing to be shielded>grabed or Ike could stand back a little and Ftilt.
Similarly when edge guarding at 1:41 he Fairs 6 times in a row and is punished by Ike's UpB planking. Ike could have Fair-ed him there too. This happens again at 2:28 with a few low, close Zairs mixed in that have Fair's spacing.

2:56 good quick edgehog>ledgestall Dair. The edge guarding mind games start at this point and are more effective.

3:53 another ledgestall Fair that is punished. Zair tethering the ledge should be used for invulnerability when the opponent's pressuring Link, not to stall while Ike's safely on stage waiting.

Several point blank range Zairs. Nair or Bair have better results.

Careful not to fast fall attacks that can be shield grabbed like at 4:33.

--------------------
Overview:
Good edge hogging, OoS, consistency, and reaction.

When he grabbed defensively it worked, offensively it didn't and grab was spammed.
SH Dairs we're used offensively and this isn't wifi so should be punishers.
Every ledge return was ledgestalled immediately after grabing/re-tethering the edge. All could be punished in the same way.
For the most part he played a close combat aggressive style Link with few projectile setups. Ike's frame 2 jab should have stopped most of Link's attacks. When landing at that close range, shield>grab beats every air option Link has.

-----
Summery:
Grab and Dair to punish. Mix up ledge returns with different options (bomb pull/arrow/boomerang throw>re-grab ledge) and timing. More projectiles to support spacing and combo attacks. Watch and punish instead of playing aggressively. He attacked directly at close range way too much. Don't forget jabs/jab combos.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yo

drunk ripple vs drunk legan. most hype match of the century. I'll have it up soon

Rizen

Smash Legend
yo

drunk ripple vs drunk legan. most hype match of the century. I'll have it up soon
Hype!
Its me again :)
Maybe I could get some critique on these two matches against Mario? :)
Just to see if I made some progress...

vs. Mario (Gheb) 1

Thanks beforehand =)
Game 1:
Overview:
You choose to close the space between Mario and Link quickly. Link wins at tip-of-sword attack range and spamming, going close gives Mario the upper hand.

You canceled fireballs with Zair- remember all of Link's standard attacks (particularly Nair/Fair/Bair) will cancel low priority range attacks. I've Dair-ed Mario through his fireball. Nair is great for range attack eating in close combat.

Bombs-If you're not using 'C' (game cube controller, set to smash) to throw bombs and use directional air attacks learn to. You blew yourself up a lot and threw bombs backwards. Only use bomb tricks you're comfortable with in a match. Bomb's priority eats fireballs so use them as counter spam. If Mario's close footstool jump is great, footstool bomb>Dair is even better. Ready more bombs when you have the chance and use them in combos and to counter fireballs more than direct attacks.

Spamming- Good arrows and boomerang. Now try to use Link's 3 projectiles and attacks together. I saw few set-ups with multiple projectiles chained. Mario's cape's annoying but Link has a great anti-range game too. Spamming more from SHs/jumps will help projectiles work together.

Ftilt- was used a little too much, too close. Powershielding can really punish Ftilt and most of Link's moves. 'Blitzing' is a bad idea for Link because his lag.

Grabs-good grabbing. That player broke away fast so throw immediately or after 1 or 2 pummels, depending on damage%, for throw damage too. Back throw's best except for 160%+ when Uthrow KOs. All throws do the same damage- 7%.

Practice ledgestalling and you'll learn it fast. Don't ledgestall if you're not confident with it in an actual match. I had the same problem.

Good pressuring, use of jabs and close fighting. Try to make Mario approach before resorting to close combat and space a little farther away. 'Polish' you're game and spacing; it's looking good.

Rapax

Smash Apprentice
Thanks again for the impressive critique, Arizen =)

Yeah, I already use the C-Stick. But I mess up... too often... I definitely need more practice on that ._.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to critique me again ;)

Top Bottom