• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
for people who all ragged on pop and wouldn't ever accept others listening to it, you all sure jumped that wagon pretty fast....

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I like Sweepstakes.

+rep if you like it too.
I do.

for people who all ragged on pop and wouldn't ever accept others listening to it, you all sure jumped that wagon pretty fast....
What are you talking about?

Great post Cookie, I agree. The thing with me is that lyrics are why I listen to music. Beats are all fine and good, but I'll listen to a song with good lyrics and a weird/bad beat. Ghetto Prisoners has a 'meh' beat but it's one of my favorite Nas tracks. When a rapper has mediocre lyrics, I probably won't listen to them.

But generally it's not the rappers that I have a problem with. I don't like Lil Wayne's music but he's rapping about what he likes and what his fans likes and that's cool with me. Hell, I respect him more than I respect Kanye now, because Wayne is sticking to his stuff and Kanye switched his **** (which was great) to that 808s ****.

A lot of the times it's the mainstream audience that I don't like. It's not because I disagree with them, but a lot of them fail to see that a different scene even exists, or they don't respect it at all. Recently on facebook I saw a status by this kid. He asked "Nas of Jay-Z?" Now among all of the "Nas" or "Jay" responses was one that really set me off. Some kid said "They both suck, Wayne is the best." Now I disagree with that strongly, but the fact that someone discredited both of them by saying they both suck just pisses me off. I guess it's the same thing when we discredit the mainstream artists, and I'm glad Kweli posted that. It's made me reevaluate my stance and made me see that I've been pretty hypocritical when I get angry about people bashing "my" artists but then I bash theirs. I think we should all look at our stance, and I give a big thank you to Kweli for enlightening me.

Do not put Asher Roth on that list. He's mediocre at best.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
who are the cool kids?
no pun intended but you lose cool points for not knowing who The Cool Kids are.

but seriously check them they're pretty good

Also, Team Teamwork should be on that list. The guy is a producer who takes beats from games like zelda and final fantasy 7 and makes classic. He even has a friend who did an album using music from Goldeneye.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I don't think we said we wouldn't accept it, we're just opinionated and think that people should listen to better music. The reason we support this idea is that nothing good ever came from hate. Sure I may never listen to wayne by choice but me bad mouthing him won't take away from his fans, instead it'd be more proactive to introduce people to music that I like instead of judging them poorly for their own personal taste in music.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Epic post Cookie. I'm kinda in the same boat as Vrael; lyrics make a song and a beat complements it (hence me making my own music). But it's all subjective as well, which depends on what you look at in music. Since I'm a big fan of lyrics, I prefer Big L and Naledge over Solija Boy and Gucci Mane. Still, when it comes to talent, I still throw stones at the radio.

PM is also correct; the Cool Kids are on point. And yea Nas is nice, but if he blows up I think Skyzoo can be up there as well.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Epic post Cookie. I'm kinda in the same boat as Vrael; lyrics make a song and a beat complements it (hence me making my own music). But it's all subjective as well, which depends on what you look at in music. Since I'm a big fan of lyrics, I prefer Big L and Naledge over Solija Boy and Gucci Mane. Still, when it comes to talent, I still throw stones at the radio.

PM is also correct; the Cool Kids are on point. And yea Nas is nice, but if he blows up I think Skyzoo can be up there as well.
Nas is DOPE

"Through the lights cameras and action, glamour glitters and gold,
I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe"

- Nas on Verbal Intercourse by Raekwon.

Skyzoo is dope but that line right there is just ****ing amazing.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I think Recovery is right behind MMLP and SSLP, I would put The Eminem Show in front of Recovery but I wasn't feelin it as much, plus The Eminem Show had some songs on there like without me and drips, not a good look. lol

I don't think he's that overrated to be honest, but to go as far as saying top 5 MC's is a bit odee.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
ok so i went to the mos def&talib kweli concert. and it was ****ing amazing. it is 2 am right now, and iwas 10 feet away from mos and kweli. it was awesome. i had a lot of fun. mos def is so amazing live

Noraa

Smash Lord
Ems best cd is still Infinite, Also thats cool cookie, i saw them awhile ago this year at the Black Cat in DC.
Anyways, I have new stuff i want people to check out.

http://soundcloud.com/theloudslence

Its called, Take It From The Top

Il be opening up for Wordsmith in around 2 weeks =]

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
alright well it was just awesome, i was like 10 feet away and took tons of photos on my phone. Zion-I was the opening act and they were good, but not as good as Black Star
mos started singing Umi Says and everyone started singing at the top of their lungs. it was great.

and LMAO at MBlaze

.Marik

is a social misfit
I just stumbled across United Kingdom rappers.

Definitely impressed.

Check out:

1. Semantix Tha Sorcera- Epidemic
2. Sinister Stricken & White Lotus- Verbal Tai Chi

Pretty much all of Gnostix is grimy.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
ok so i went to the mos def&talib kweli concert. and it was ****ing amazing. it is 2 am right now, and iwas 10 feet away from mos and kweli. it was awesome. i had a lot of fun. mos def is so amazing live
Good stuff. I do want to see Mos Def at a show.

@ Norra:
I also was going to go to that show, but sum last min stuff came up and I had to change my plans :(.

Top Bottom