• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HOBO 30: The Road to WHOBO 3 - Jan 8th 2011 - Bring full setups!!!!!

Neon!

Smash Lord
I should be going to this, I'll find out this week. For mid tier I'd be happy to team with KRD or any peach. For regular 2v2 I'd prefer either illmatic, xyro or smoomsy.

Edit: thanks for putting that vid up KRD, I played that entire match with a big smile on my face and couldnt help but laugh after it eas over.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Sounds great xyro, lets team for regular doubles. Samus and Dk are polar opposites lol, they should work pretty well together.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't understand the stalling rule. Are we allowed to intentionally time people out as long as its not Metaknight?

Tesh

Smash Hero
I was hoping you would be more specific as to exactly what isn't allowed. But I guess you are just talking about things that literally make the game unplayable?

I must have misunderstood it.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Denti your teaming with me on this event for regular doubles.

You owe Batou? lol jk

No seriously if you want to team with me, I appreciate it...but if you can't, it's Kovu/Batou fever all over again.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Needs more hype.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
So can Sonic standard B stall under the stage?

I mean characters can stop it
I have not looked into it alot but i assume it should stay legal unless u can knock him out of it and before he dies he just restarts the homing lock thingy again. IF that is the case, ill ban it.

rel12

Smash Apprentice
hahaha thats wassup! I'll be there! me & my boy gonna go finally! i'm teaching him smash, he's decent, but hopefully we'll do something :)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Can't you just double jump Up B to get him out of it? I thought air dodges made him not lock onto you too and go diagonally down instead, or is that wrong?

:059:
If sonic is hugging the ceiling, nothing you can do will stop him from hitting the ceiling and bouncing. The non locked version still hits slightly above him. Almost every character can hit him out of it, but some of them will die after they hit him anyway. It might as well be banned, it either breaks a matchup or is 100% useless.

I need a partner for mid tier teams. Going 100% Sonic this time. Anybody want to?

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
If sonic is hugging the ceiling, nothing you can do will stop him from hitting the ceiling and bouncing. The non locked version still hits slightly above him. Almost every character can hit him out of it, but some of them will die after they hit him anyway. It might as well be banned, it either breaks a matchup or is 100% useless.

I need a partner for mid tier teams. Going 100% Sonic this time. Anybody want to?
Tjolts. :cool:
But yeah, I think you should do it to prove a point if it's not banned. Will your B button hold out the entire day, though?

Tesh

Smash Hero
I have yet to face a character in tournament that can't stop Sonic from doing that though. I also almost never have the lead.

*says something related to the thread* I'm hyped for HOBO!!

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Last I checked un-homed neutral B shoots him diagonally down and to the right, and has so much downtime that you have to use upb just to get back to the ledge. Vids of disproof or gtfo.

PS You can also grab the ledge instead of dj-upb to stop it, invincibility is longer and I'm 98% sure it just shoots sonic in a completely un-useful direction without a target.

hype?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The AiB link has the date as Jan 8 2010...it should be 2011.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Last I checked un-homed neutral B shoots him diagonally down and to the right, and has so much downtime that you have to use upb just to get back to the ledge. Vids of disproof or gtfo.

PS You can also grab the ledge instead of dj-upb to stop it, invincibility is longer and I'm 98% sure it just shoots sonic in a completely un-useful direction without a target.

hype?
Are you trolling people are do you believe that? In any case the only good character that can't stop Sonic is Olimar/ICs. I guess I should stop discussing this here, since all the information is readily available for anyone that cares.

Still need a partner for mid tier!

rel12

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone house me & my friend? Houston is like 6 hours away from where we stay, I would really appreciate it.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I have not looked into it alot but i assume it should stay legal unless u can knock him out of it and before he dies he just restarts the homing lock thingy again. IF that is the case, ill ban it.
Even if he doesn't, i think that the impracticality of reaching underneath the stage to hit a Sonic player out of the homing attack loop is both insane for the conservative player and the risk/reward benifit of hitting the player out of the loop is way too high to get any serious rewards out of it, unless the non-sonic player builds up a stock lead first, but by then no serious sonic player will want to time out the clock in certain match ups.

I personally, would classify the tactic as a stalling tactic because it gives a negative response to the question, "Is the tactic that I am using allowing me to get a positional advantage to attack my opponet?"

The question that I posed really boils down to how I view fighting games, including Brawl, in a tournament or a competitive enviroment. You paid money to play these games competitavely. You shouldn't go into a match thinking that you are getting 2nd out of 2 people like that roller derby team did in that Drew Berrymore movie. You should go in and leave your heart out there in the game. Stalling, or any other disabling tactics, is just chicken.

I'm sorry that I'm late to the party, but to sum up my arguement, if a Sonic player is using standard B in a manner that is delaying a game, don't be a wuss and call it stalling.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Are you trolling people are do you believe that? In any case the only good character that can't stop Sonic is Olimar/ICs. I guess I should stop discussing this here, since all the information is readily available for anyone that cares.

Still need a partner for mid tier!
Kirby doesn't troll. Neither of us have ever seen what you're talking about, so without seeing it, that's what we've believed to be true about Sonic's neutral B since the game's been around. I might have a mid-tier partner for you Tesh if I can get a confirmation from him. He's a Fox player who goes 1 and 1 with me here in Arkansas. He's doing some stupid sh** like trying to help needy people for charities for no money or something, so we'll see if he'll be able to go to this Hobo or not. If he can, I would say that you should consider him for a partner for it.

Also, Arkansas will be at this again (Hopefully with not 4 people abandoning us the day of.... ***holes)

Gnes

Smash Master
Prime team with me for mid tiers hmmmm k
Everyone come to this hobo cuz I'm taking everyone out to EAT!!!!!!!!

Please no overused places like IHOP!!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

Sweet!

10sweet

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

Everyone? As in WHO specifically?

Top Bottom