• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How many of you would purchase a Wii U just for this game?

Do you still purchase this Wii U?

• Duh... It's Smashbros!!

Votes: 104 88.1%
  • I love Smashbros but not quite that much

Votes: 14 11.9%

• Total voters

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting a Wii U primarily for Smash 4. I'm saving up and hopefully by the time I get $400 the bundle will be announced.

(Black) Wii U Deluxe Set
Black Pro Controller
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Free Download for Super Smash Bros. (64)

I might also get The Legend of Zelda: WW HD, NSMBU, and Pikmin 3. But that's really it.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
That's why I'm so surprised with some of these responses. If Smash 4 ended up like Brawl (bad gameplay + a terrible online system) there's no way I'd buy a broken Wii U just for it.

Like I said earlier I'd have to wait for Smash 4 to actually be released and get a good read on how the game is before making this decision.

In hindsight I really should have made that a 3rd poll option. Oh well.

Since when did Brawl have bad gameplay? Slower =/= bad and you probably forgot the enormous amount of content it had. I bought the Wii U a few months ago and definitely waiting for all of the awesome games, already preordered Pikmin 3.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Since when did Brawl have bad gameplay? Slower =/= bad and you probably forgot the enormous amount of content it had. I bought the Wii U a few months ago and definitely waiting for all of the awesome games, already preordered Pikmin 3.
...Pikmin 3 has been out for a while now.

Edit: Oh wait, "months ago".. still weird reading that last part though.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

...You really don't want to get this started.

Lets stay on topic.

D

Deleted member

I already have a Wii U and I got one since I love Nintendo and I want to support them and their games; SSB4 didn't play a giant influence here.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I'd rather wait for the next gen console to play with.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I did buy my Wii U because of Smash 4... But now that I look at it, there are also new great games on the way, looking forward to the Zelda Game for starters :D

peeup

Smash Lord
Same reason I bought a Wii. I'm holding out to get one till Smash comes out in hopes of a nice lil bundle deal, possibly with a nice lil GC controller type thing.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah. It's the only reason I'm getting a Wii U in the first place. I'd also like Mario Kart but I can deal without it
Yep, bought a Wii U. With the price drop, Smash 4 & Mario Kart, it's worth it honestly.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I'm mostly buying one for SSB4 but I'm also getting it for Wind Waker,Sonic Lost World and Wonderful 101.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
The only way I won't buy a WiiU for this is if the 3DS version turns out to be better. Even then, I would likely prioritize the ability to play with other people, on a TV.

N7Adept

Smash Rookie
Sadly, I already did purchase a Wii U because I'm way too excited for Smash Bros (right before the price drop too...*cries*).

I tried to convince myself that I wasn't just buying it for Smash Bros, and that I was also excited for other cool games like Super Mario 3D world, DK Tropical Freeze, and Mario Kart 8, but I know the truth and so do all of you guys. However, the second they announce the new Zelda for Wii U and a brand new Metroid game that is NOTHING like the abomination that is Other M, then I will honestly be able to say that I am happy to own a Wii U as a console other than it just being a Smash addiction fulfiller.

MrGamer419

Smash Cadet
smash bros was the whole reason i bought the wii u in the first place that and pikmin 3

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
At first I thought I may have gotten the Wii U just for this game, but now I've sort of changed my mind. To be honest I probably would wait a while to get this and a WIi U, waiting for a new game that interests me to be released for it.

Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD have already won me over though.

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
The question asks would we buy the Wii U if it could only play Smash 4, and of course my answer to that is yes. However, that's not to say I'm not looking forward to other games. I want Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and other stuff I can't think of now. I'm actually planning on getting one Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Gotta Go Fast!

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I originally bought the Wii U just for Smash, but I don't regret buying it because there are a lot of great games for it, like Earthbound and Pikmin 3 to name a few. Plus, there are a lot of other games I'm looking forward to like Sonic Lost World and Mario Kart 8.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I originally bought the Wii U just for Smash, but I don't regret buying it because there are a lot of great games for it, like Earthbound and Pikmin 3 to name a few. Plus, there are a lot of other games I'm looking forward to like Sonic Lost World and Mario Kart 8.

I actually did the same thing.
BTW: Smashboards looks great on the Wii U Gamepad.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Last time, i spend A LOT of money buying WII just for brawl. 5 of my fellow smashers did the same, thinking that it was going to be a Melee on steroids. Nithing could go wrong right?.
Surprise!! We all were heavily dissapointed by Brawl and stoped playing the game after a year. All of them sold their Wiis.

Until today, im the only one with a Wii, and i stopped using it after stopped playing Monster hunter Tri years ago.

Now, we got a better plan.... we will collect money and buy a WiiU with controllers to be used by all of us, instead of everyone wasting lots of dollars in various consoles and Smashes4.

We got fooled once... and our pain was just too much to handle.

Until today, it still pains me to remember how of a fail brawl was.... but this new one looks more promising and Sakurai seems to be ready to stop being a *****.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Will buy it for Smash, but there are other games such as Wind Waker, MK8, and more to play from

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I am buying a Wii U just for Smash Wii U (and DKC; maybe Bayonetta 2 and X as well), because Mario looks like more filler, Zelda has been lackluster for a decade, and honestly, Nintendo as whole just seems to be unable to make many good, high quality games on their home consoles with a lot of replay value.

Still, on the Wii U, I can't help but feel optimistic that eventually Nintendo will "fix" themselves, whether on the Wii U or their next home console.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm hoping for A Wii U for Christmas, maybe a 3DS for my birthday, as long as they come with other games, but in all reality it's just so me and my brother can play Smash 4 together.

grizby2

Smash Lord
the second I heard smash bros for wii u, I hopped on the train.
but im also interested in getting pikmin 3 and other games too!

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
That's actually what my plan was. Waiting until Smash 4 came out to buy a Wii-U. Nothing else except maybe Mario Kart 8 seems as a reason to buy the thing. Buy Smash 4 Wii U, Smash 4 3DS, and an actual Wii U to play it on.
You forgot Pikmin.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Sticking with my original answer, but Wii U just isn't worth it until another price drop. HD graphics, the controller, etc. feel too much like PS4 but with less care for online support.

Originally it was open to consideration this December, but Nintendo clearly doesn't want another Wii in terms of success.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Not likely. I pretty much got the Wii because I knew Brawl was coming out. Brawl was a disappointment, and I hardly played it all in the end.

To buy a Wii U that can only play SSB4 would be absurd. Even if it actually turns out to be good (looking pretty doubtful in my eyes at this point, but... that aside), it would be sad to not be able to even try the Zelda game(s) and Mario Kart, etc. Oddly enough, Mario Kart 8 is looking to be a stronger system seller for me than SSB4. lol

You forgot Pikmin.
I doubt they "forgot" Pikmin. Pikmin doesn't appeal to everybody, myself included.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You forgot Pikmin.
I doubt they "forgot" Pikmin. Pikmin doesn't appeal to everybody, myself included.
Pretty much what he said. I'm not a Pikmin fan. I'm a fan of Smash Bros, Mario kart, and some Mario Games. Super Mario Bros U doesn't appeal to me but Super Mario 3D World does, so I'll probably end up buying that.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Pretty much what he said. I'm not a Pikmin fan. I'm a fan of Smash Bros, Mario kart, and some Mario Games. Super Mario Bros U doesn't appeal to me but Super Mario 3D World does, so I'll probably end up buying that.

I just hope Nintendo wakes up and figures out the 2D sidescrolling Mario titles are getting old, and that online isn't literally the devil's game.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
The moment I saw the Smash 4 trailer during E3, I said I was going to buy a Wii U (and a 3DS) just to play it, just like I got a Gamecube solely to play Melee.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
That's my plan precisely. I'll be purchasing Smash Bros. and a Wii U on launch day. Although I plan to probably play a few other games like Mario Kart, Smash is going to be the game that stays in my console nearly all of the time, and that's probably for the next decade!

Top Bottom