• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to be an irritating (meaning effective) Brawl player

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Alright:

-pick a character that has superior mobility, defense, or both than what your opponent will have
-do not aggressively approach when at low %; it is a high risk scenario at all times, and only high reward in a few scenarios
-do not aggressively punish. What separates good players from mid-level players is their ability to say "now hold on brain, I know he has lag after that move but I haven't punished successfully from this position before and I'd rather have the for sure thing. If I try to grab him now he might spot dodge and grab ME, and that'd just be ****ing stupid". Be a good player, not a mid-level "Darn, I almost had him" player that pretends to know about matchups.
-position yourself appropriately for your strengths and weaknesses in accordance with your opponent's strengths and weaknesses
-pick stages that enhance your strengths while limiting your weaknesses, and doing the inverse for an opponent
-Use the timer to your advantage when you need to, and don't be afraid to use it to win
THIS stuff isn't bad at all. It's actually GREAT advice for any aspiring player.

But...

So you should approach at low %, right?

WRONG!
That's not the same as "do not aggressively approach when at low %"

Your recap actually has way more merit than all that preceeds it, lol. I mean you preface your whole diatribe with...

I take "play to win" to the extreme and laugh as I plank, fly under the stage, d-tilt lock, infinite, and all other sorts of infuriating things.
C'mon! Unless you're being tongue-in-cheek???? Cause I'll admit, Brawl has definitely dissolved (it's been coming awhile now anyway) into campy cheap tactics. Didn't M2K just win winterfest by stalling under the stage? "Scrooging" lol. Seriously... I was saddened by that news. It means that even pros aren't above cheap-*** ****, and now I definitely won't ever spend money on a tourney/expenses, cause I. Won't. Play. That. Way. And I sure as hell won't lose to someone who plays that way. Not unless I can kick them in the nads once for every camp. Seriously, yo... I thought you wanted to broaded this game. I hope to god you're just being clever here, and illustrating just HOW crappy the meta-game has become. but if you seriously are encourage players to start playing this way, to main MK (god listen to Ally, F this game, no more snake waaaah ><)...

Yeah irritated.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You are in more need of this thread than anyone Sucumbio!

And yes, I was speaking from the "Overswarm persona" in most of my posts; IRL I'm actually a pretty easy-going and jovial guy, I just enjoy the OS that people build up in their heads and I give them the cocky guy they expect. :D

The recap is the most important part of the post though, the rest was just to keep it entertaining.

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
I do not agree with playing like a jerk usually. I mean, I use 7 mid-low tiers with Marth as a second. However, when other people play like that, I like annoying the hell out of them right back to the point where they get angry that I'm simply using the same tricks they are. I don't change characters ever though, I just add them to my list of mains/seconds/thirds/whatevers.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
W/ only 5 or so viable characters that doesn't mean no other character will be used 'cause people can get lazy and forget about the other matchups. Surely there will always be that random ROB or Fox popping up in every tourney.:kirby2:
But they won't last long when they go up against a bunch of gayplay.

I'm as annoyed as hell atm, but this is actually a near perfect guide on how to play this game well. 'Cause the stuff works, and you can't get around it or try to avoid it and play to win at the same time. :(

I'm just curious, but a year or so from now, when the Brawl tourney is reduced completely to this type of play, do you think the competitive scene will be as big?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You are in more need of this thread than anyone Sucumbio!
Ha! I suppose. I used to be pretty cheap in MK, used Turbos in SF, so i guess I should get off my high horse. Still won't lose money on a tournament though, I'd sooner eat a bowl of puppies.

And yes, I was speaking from the "Overswarm persona" in most of my posts; IRL I'm actually a pretty easy-going and jovial guy, I just enjoy the OS that people build up in their heads and I give them the cocky guy they expect. :D
GOOOOD. I thought so, but now you've admitted it the rest of these blokes can sleep at night, lol.

The recap is the most important part of the post though, the rest was just to keep it entertaining.
Yeah, now you're talkin'. I thought so as well, just I can't believe how many pages got by before anyone else picked up on that, lol. Your recap IS invaluable advice, and I wholly support it.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
If you want to win incredibly badly and don't care how you do it, you pick MK and play gay.

If you want to win but would rather not be known for winning using a "cheap" character, you pick a top character and play gay.

If you want to win but would rather not be known for using gay tactics, then you pick a top character and bring out the best in that character without playing gay (even MK doesn't have to play gay!).

If you'd like to win but don't care too much about it, then you pick a mid-tier character.

If you don't care too much about winning, you pick Ganon.

Why am I making a serious post in an OS thread? ._.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
If you want to win incredibly badly and don't care how you do it, you pick MK and play gay.

If you want to win but would rather not be known for winning using a "cheap" character, you pick a top character and play gay.

If you want to win but would rather not be known for using gay tactics, then you pick a top character and bring out the best in that character without playing gay (even MK doesn't have to play gay!).

If you'd like to win but don't care too much about it, then you pick a mid-tier character.

If you don't care too much about winning, you pick Ganon.

Why am I making a serious post in an OS thread? ._.
Dat's me in red.

Imo Falco isn't a cheap character. There are no cheap characters in Brawl 'cause using the term "cheap" means you just don't know how to play the character correctly. Coming from a dude too ignorant to play the Peach matchup right, I don't play w/ extra camping 'cause it's not tournies or anything. Just friendlies, nothing's on the line so I do whatever I want and get away w/ it.:kirby2:

solecalibur

Smash Master
Nah, MK is easy mode. He just presses B in all mid tier and below matches.
I'd like to see that mentality next tounry you head to since ive seen MK do that when they start "panicking" higher skilled players know how to get out of it even low tiers

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I personally think that, in friendlies, stuff like Marth's GR Infinite on Lucas/Ness or DayDayDay's infinite have no place unless the other person doesn't care.

I don't think that Meta Knight's cheap (hence why I put the word in quotation marks), but his low learning curve (lol I suck with him) and effective playstyle make him the most frowned-upon character in general.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd like to see that mentality next tounry you head to since ive seen MK do that when they start "panicking" higher skilled players know how to get out of it even low tiers
Haha, I do. There just aren't any low tiers left to do it to in tournament! XD

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We tried many of the stages early into the game over here. No one played them. It's more detrimental to tournament attendance than to tournament play, but it's the same basic idea so we killed it. See Norfair @ cot4.
Tournament attendance in Ohio has done nothing but increase in the last 9 months. Tournament attendance in MD/VA has decreased in this same time period, along with the number of tournaments in the area in a given month.

It is impossible to determine whether people attend tournaments because of the specific stage lists yet. Can you point and say: MD/VA lowered the number of stages and now you see less people going to tournaments, whereas Ohio kept a fairly large number of stages and they have had growth.
Or, instead, would it be: MD/VA has made a $10 venue fee standard, along with many other changes such as no more pool play, whereas Ohio has a roughly $5 venue fee standard, along with pool play being standard at all tournaments.
Of the two situations, the latter is far more likely to have an effect on the number of attendees as the former.

The point is there are many variables to affect tournament attendance. No one has shown that removing Norfair from stage lists on the EC increased tournament attendance. Actually, quite the opposite, we can show that it decreased attendance in at least one area (MD/VA). Whereas we know in the only region that kept the stage attendance and interest has never been better (not during Melee or during the first year of Brawl).

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I personally think that, in friendlies, stuff like Marth's GR Infinite on Lucas/Ness or DayDayDay's infinite have no place unless the other person doesn't care.

I don't think that Meta Knight's cheap (hence why I put the word in quotation marks), but his low learning curve (lol I suck with him) and effective playstyle make him the most frowned-upon character in general.
I would ban him if I hosted my own tournies. Yeah, you can learn the MK matchup but it's not that simple so banning him gives more tourney viability and overall better attendance 'cause people are still lost in 2008 thinking MK is MAD better than everyone else in the game.:kirby2:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Ugh I actually decided to give this a read to see if I can come away with anything but the arrogance of the OP really takes away from any message or point he's trying to make.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ain't a secret if an MK main knows it.

Ugh I actually decided to give this a read to see if I can come away with anything but the arrogance of the OP really takes away from any message or point he's trying to make.
I bet The Daily Show ruins its news reporting with humor, too.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
This must be another ploy to convince everyone that the only way to feasibly win in Brawl is by picking MK and then timing out the opponents. No approaching, no risk-taking, just camping. Overswarm just wants people to play exactly like him so that he can be considered a prophet and destroy the game for his own devilish purposes by personally degrading the metagame.

It will never work, Overswarm. People will never fall for your plan. Gay play will always be the enemy and we will work tirelessly to get past them; and once we do, you won't know what hit you. You'll try to crawl out of the sitation by using a gay strategy, but your gayness will get punched so hard that you'll be at the whim of your superiors.

Manly play was successful in Melee, and it will be successful in Brawl as well. It will always be a threat as long as we keep planking MK in our sights. I'm not afraid of having the timer run out on me, it's just more time living in fear of what will happen once I get my hands on you.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It will never work, Overswarm. People will never fall for your plan. Gay play will always be the enemy and we will work tirelessly to get past them; and once we do, you won't know what hit you. You'll try to crawl out of the sitation by using a gay strategy, but your gayness will get punched so hard that you'll be at the whim of your superiors.

Manly play was successful in Melee, and it will be successful in Brawl as well. It will always be a threat as long as we keep planking MK in our sights. I'm not afraid of having the timer run out on me, it's just more time living in fear of what will happen once I get my hands on you.
Won't stop me from getting easy one-hit wins on Smashville against most of the cast.

It's not like there's any risk involved either. haha

Overswarm

is laughing at you
O RLY Clai?

News Flash:

The best players in the world have always resorted to "playing gay" when they are threatened.

Ken fights Bombsoldier. This Falco is insane, no one has ever seen anyone like it before!

Then Ken chaingrabs him to death.

M2K appears on the scene with Fox! How does he win?

Chaingrabs and laser camping.

M2K picks up Marth. What does he do that is so special?

He camps the edge and gimps people at 0%.

BRAWL!

Mew2King is the best in the world omg omg omg

He is threatened by Gnes and Meep. Glide under the staaaaaaaaaaaage.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Playing to win is just what happens at the highest level of gameplay. This is for everything. Its silly to say "Thats playing gay, and its stupid!" because then maybe you shouldn't be playing brawl. Don't get mad at the person using it, get frustrated at Sakurai and then go and play a different wii game lol.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Overswarm, are you saying MK is the best planker in the game? He really isn't. G&W and Pit are much better plankers.
The reason why MK is broken, is because of his up+b... and tornado... in some match ups. The reason why Diddy is so good is because of bananas, reason why snake is so good is because of of his tilts and grenades.

Basically, it comes down to using the best moves in the game. The best players spam. Daigo spams hadokens with Ryu, Ally spams grenades with Snake, ADHD spams bananas, M2K spams tornado and shuttle loop. Brawl is such a shallow game, no unblockable moves, except grabs. Shielding is overpowered, starter stages help the high-god tiers the best, which is a standard in our rule set.

DC.Eden

Smash Cadet
Overswarm, are you saying MK is the best planker in the game? He really isn't. G&W and Pit are much better plankers.
The reason why MK is broken, is because of his up+b... and tornado... in some match ups.
Man I actually laughed IRL.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OztKYId64M
you dont see m2k doing that?

cus everyone else who watching that video sees it pretty clearly.

but you are right about one thing, both m2k and OS would admit to the fact that playing gay and camping really is just an excuse for not having the skills and ability to win by actually fighting.
M2k planks like a beast, because he lacks the ability to not get grabbed by meep.
But who cares, he got the win anyway. you dont need to take home pride if your taking home a win instead.
Personally, I think the way he obliterated them was quite stylish anyway...

I had a feeling a few people would reference some instances in which m2k actually did play "gay." But, from what I've seen he keeps it to a minimum. I haven't seen too much of his recent games, so I could have missed some pretty gay stuff.

However, I don't think this particular video demonstrates the type of "gay play" that Overswarm is referring to. I'd actually consider this to be a pretty **** good game. He definitly DOES have the ability to not get grabbed. That is why he doesn't get grabbed.

You can't play against IC the way you play against other characters. I have no qualms with the way M2K handled this match whatsoever. He did not play out the clock. The game is three and a half minutes. That's shorter than in most tournaments. He wasn't hiding either. Maybe he was a little campy, but no hiding. Overall the game was entertaining and demonstrated a considerable amout of skill on m2k's part. He's awesome at seperating nana and popo, and like I mentioned: not getting grabbed. Kudos to M2K on this one, was impressed.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I had a feeling a few people would reference some instances in which m2k actually did play "gay." But, from what I've seen he keeps it to a minimum. I haven't seen too much of his recent games, so I could have missed some pretty gay stuff.

However, I don't think this particular video demonstrates the type of "gay play" that Overswarm is referring to. I'd actually consider this to be a pretty **** good game. He definitly DOES have the ability to not get grabbed. That is why he doesn't get grabbed.

You can't play against IC the way you play against other characters. I have no qualms with the way M2K handled this match whatsoever. He did not play out the clock. The game is three and a half minutes. That's shorter than in most tournaments. He wasn't hiding either. Maybe he was a little campy, but no hiding. Overall the game was entertaining and demonstrated a considerable amout of skill on m2k's part. He's awesome at seperating nana and popo, and like I mentioned: not getting grabbed. Kudos to M2K on this one, was impressed.
Heres the thing about the story that you might not know.

That vid I linked was game 3.
game one meep won off of 3 grabs.
game 2 m2k got pissed, and started going under the stage to keep from getting grabbed, and actually did time him out for the full 8 minutes.
game 3 (the one that is recorded) m2k got the lead and proceeded to camp the moving platform again. and since meep had already gotten timed out once, he decided to do some stupid and risky stuff to avoid getting camped out again, which lead to nana getting 0-deathed, twice. giving m2k the easy win.

dont you think meep could have stayed on stage and played it safe and waited for an oppurtunity?

WRONG

cus he got timed out for doing exactly that in game 2.

Its actually a text book example of the main point of this thread, to camp and stay on the defensive so that your opponent is forced to approach, and in brawl approach almost always puts you in a bad position. so since meep had to put himself in a bad position, m2k used his massively overwhelming defensive capabilities to destroy the opponent after getting his opponent to understand that HE MUST APPROACH.

humble

Smash Ace
The reason why MK is broken, is because of his up+b... and tornado...
Guys, be nice, I don't think he understands what planking is. Pit is a great ledge camper, but he can't plank. G-dubs is a fine planker.
...This is horribly wrong though, MK isn't broken, his up+b is easy punish, and his tornado is not what makes him good (it helps though)

Clai

Smash Lord
O RLY Clai?

M2K picks up Marth. What does he do that is so special?

He camps the edge and gimps people at 0%.

BRAWL!

Mew2King is the best in the world omg omg omg

He is threatened by Gnes and Meep. Glide under the staaaaaaaaaaaage.
The way I see it, M2K only resorts to playing the timer after all other options have been exhausted. I have much more respect for chaingrabbing in Melee than in Brawl because unlike Brawl's set knock-back "LOLnoskills" chaingrabs, Melee's chaingrabs involved chasing DI and actually required precision to pull off.

As for M2K gimping people at 0% with Marth, he was only able to do that because he went off-stage and took risks that most people would likely have never decided to pull off. M2K is ruthless once he takes people off-stage and doesn't stop until he completely dominates the other opponent. Then again, just about everything in Melee is manlier than Brawl to the point where there's almost no comparison.

I don't care if M2K times out an opponent in one particular match, because I know that's not the standard. It was likely more of a scouting match, analyzing what the opponent is going to do so that he can take that knowledge and completely overwhelm the opponent the next match. In my eyes, that's a far superior player to someone that attempts to run the timer every single match.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
In other words, M2K saves the best for last and when someone finally steps it up and stops him from walking all over him THEN he plays "gay"?

Wouldn't that mean it was the most effective? -_^

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
When I say planking. I mean edge hogging the stage continually. G&W up-air and n-air are better tools for planking from an edgehog. Pit's up-air, up+b, and arrows are better tools for planking from an edgehog.

I'm surprised to see how stupid some people are in this thread.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
That's ledge-camping...

So that begs the question, what's the difference between ledge-camping and planking?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ledge camping is when you do it cus you have to, planking is when you do it cus you want to.

also, id believe g watch, but pits planking really, honestly isnt that great.

Prawn

Smash Master
Game and Watch is one of the best plankers in the game,

in fact I'd say GaW could be top tier if the metagame shifted to that lol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah, if a G&W just goes to the ledge and planks, I can just go under him. What's he gonna do? No matter what he does, I get to grab the ledge from him and then he has to up+b and miss the ledge. Then it is time to wreck people.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Yeah, if a G&W just goes to the ledge and planks, I can just go under him. What's he gonna do? No matter what he does, I get to grab the ledge from him and then he has to up+b and miss the ledge. Then it is time to wreck people.
Up+b is quick and has invincibility frames, if you do that, you will get stage spiked. I faced one at a tournament and lost, due to G&W ledge planking me like that when I was MK. That's when I learned G&W is the best ledge planker in this game, and both games got timed out. So **** frustrating. You'll realize this if this happens to you. Heck, you would probably choose ROB to deal with a G&W ledge planking you all day.

Clai

Smash Lord
In other words, M2K saves the best for last and when someone finally steps it up and stops him from walking all over him THEN he plays "gay"?

Wouldn't that mean it was the most effective? -_^
A lot of players have "stepped it up" against M2K and he's only had to run out the timer to win on a few occasions.

It might be the most effective against a certain player, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the only strategy. Remember that many people play gay and run out the timer in Melee as well. It all depends on the circumstances.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Up+b is quick and has invincibility frames, if you do that, you will get stage spiked. I faced one at a tournament and lost, due to G&W ledge planking me like that when I was MK. That's when I learned G&W is the best ledge planker in this game, and both games got timed out. So **** frustrating. You'll realize this if this happens to you. Heck, you would probably choose ROB to deal with a G&W ledge planking you all day.
1. ROB sucks, especially against G&W.

2. If you hold up, just about every single attack in the game will not stage spike you. DK's cargo? It's suicide for DK. You hold up, then kill him and edgehog. GG DK. G&W's up+b? You hold up, then jump to the stage. Just hold up.

3. Again, I'll just go under teh stage and force him off the ledge that way. If G&W COULD prevent MK from getting back from that position, why don't G&W's edgeguard this way? -_^

A lot of players have "stepped it up" against M2K and he's only had to run out the timer to win on a few occasions.

It might be the most effective against a certain player, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the only strategy. Remember that many people play gay and run out the timer in Melee as well. It all depends on the circumstances.
When push comes to shove, "gay" play wins. That's why people say "that's gay". Because they don't like it. Because it wins. If it made the match boring but they still won... no one would do it.

Top Bottom