• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to be an irritating (meaning effective) Brawl player

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Overswarm, we need to form a crew, preferably with DMG, plank, Vex, etc.

The objective of the crew is to crush the souls of as many people as possible, it would be amazing.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Clai what ur saying is just plain dumb. Your making excuses for M2K. 'He was a beast off-stage in melee.' He waited, didnt approach, tossed them off and gimped at an early percent. Thats is the same crap a campy MK would do if someone approached. Just because it look more aesthetically pleasing to you doesnt mean you can disregard that they are the same tatic. This is seriously dumb.
To be honest, I thought M2K was a lot more aggressive in Melee, but I guess I was mistaken on that part. Either way though, I still see a difference between the type of camping seen watching M2K and the camping that the OP is trying to push. The type of camping I see is an aggressive type of camping, where the player uses his character's defensive options to prevent the opponent from pressuring him and approaching only when he sees an opportunity, but once he approaches, he attempts to get as much damage as he can before the situation resets and he goes back to playing defensive. It's still technically camping, but it's much more aggressive than always playing defensively and not going on the offense at all, which is what I take from the OP.

The problem with the Smash community is that tons of the ppl who play are morons and have never played any fighting game competitively. All they do is ***** and moan. Why the hell wouldnt someone use a superior tatic? sure u can go for style points if its effective but if it isnt, u retreat to what would be ur best option. Welcome to competitive gaming. Style or not, its about what is effective given the situation. In brawl, where attempting offensive pressure on a turtling opponent is lackluster to say the least, its very clear that majority of the time being defensive and reactive will net you the win. Besides the community will be better for it, because it will advance us tremendously. We would either figure out how to deal with it, or we will all play MK or stop playing all together.
If playing gay and campy is truly the best strategy, then we'll figure out in due time that we won't have a way to deal with it, and we'd be forced to adopt the other two things you state. Personally, I don't think that playing defensive and reactive will lead to victory; I think that a calculated offensive approach that effectively reduces your opponent's options will end up being more effective. Seeing Diddy Kong's continued successes helps support what I'm saying.

The community didnt get better because of some dumb Mario main or falcon playing with honor. The community got better when ppl played effectively; it allowed us to focus and ruminate on tatics that were hard to bypass. You can do that, you can get better. Its so funny OS youre talking about this cuz i had a 3 hr convo with my friend about this. Larry would be no where near as good if it wasnt for Tyrant usually playing him effectively aka, to the people who dont like actually learning to play a game competitively, "gay." Its so funny for instance that Sonic mains have been placing higher recently. You want to know why? Cuz every decent Sonic main understands this: Sonic sucks. He sucks and we need to learn how to deal with it, we need to learn how to fight those "*****/actually smart" tatics to pull out a win. Which is why OS lost to a Shugo. Which is why Espy was going toe-to-toe with Haze during some good friendlies, and it is why (now talking about general characters) Larry 6-0 Tyrant during R3.

If you wanna play crap characters, then fine, go ahead. Just dont Bull**** urself and blame others for losing. You are going to get owned by some techniques your character simply cant compete or has great difficulty with. You either find a way around it, pick a solid character, or stop playing at tournaments. Dont ***** and moan, you are apart of the reason you lose just as much as person who planked/camped you (yes i know ppl can win other ways, this is for the sake of the topic).

/all the morons who say otherwise in this thread.
I agree with you absolutely on this point. There's no reason that people playing crap characters can't learn to deal with gay strategies and figure out ways to win; it's just a lot harder for them to do it with their characters, but if they're dedicated enough, effort shouldn't be an issue.

Playing gay is an effective strategy, I just think it's only 1 of other viable strategies.

No, he has to adapt his playstyle to each stage while you reap the benefits. That Diddy has to practice on Norfair, Brinstar, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, you name it. It's AWESOME (for MK).
You say this like having to put effort and practice into minimizing stage weaknesses is a bad thing... I mean it's good for MK if the other player doesn't bother to practice on whichever stage is bad for his character, but any player who wants to be worth something is going to practice on those stages.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Actually Diddy doesn't really need to practice Frigate, its basically a pretty straight forward stage the only thing extra to even know is that you can side-B >wall cling on the right side before the flip.

Cruise/Brinstar/Norfair though, yea, you need to play them a lot just so you have a chance to win. Though imo Diddy has an advantage on Brinstar/Norfair in almost all MU's once you learn to play it. When Capem took me to Brinstar I almost 3 stocked him. When M2K took me there he 1 stocked me, same as the starter stages.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Losing strategy.

Think about it: Metaknight loses no matchups.

Assuming player skill is equal, you have two potential scenarios as an MK main:

1. You go even with your opponent
2. You naturally have an advantage against your opponent by some margin

Every matchup potentially could be 1 or 2, but if you do'nt main MK you can be 3, which is the OPPOSITE of two: your opponent has the advantage against YOU.

Now, MK can have a disadvantage. Its true. DK on Japes? DESTROYS Metaknight. Seriously, destroys. Japes is being banned everywhere scrubby, and MK mains supreme.

"We're New Jersey! We ban dumb stages! Also we all main MK, which is certainly a coincidence, since our other common characters also do well on the same stages"

But, not only are MKs bad stages disappearing (funnily enough, many of them are being removed because they are "too good" for MK in certain matchups, thus crippling the characters that WOULD dominate MK there), but you often only have one or two that are actually good for your opponent (and thus bad for you). As most tournaments will have one or both of these banned, you can use your own ban to get rid of one.... unless you have two bans in which case you'll never have a problem.

So in reality, you will rarely, if ever, have even a slightly disadvantaged matchup. This should be irrelevant though, right? People say Diddy goes even with MK, so if you main Diddy you'll be okay, right?

Wrong!

MK can ban FD, but can Diddy ban every counterpick there is?!

No, he has to adapt his playstyle to each stage while you reap the benefits. That Diddy has to practice on Norfair, Brinstar, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, you name it. It's AWESOME (for MK).

So when you play against Diddy, a supposed even matchup, you get to start on a stage that is going to be alright for Diddy... but not bad for you at all. Then if you lose, you get to CP to a stage that is awful for Diddy. If you win, Diddy picks a stage that is almost always incredibly similar to the first! Score!

This means you're gonna have your advantage at almost all times.

Main MK.

Why not?

If you're defense is "everyone will know the matchup"... well, eventually others catch up. AND you'd have to worry about other characters that counter yours!
This is pretty much a no brainier, and you can apply this to any other competitive fighting game, not just Smash.

There is no reason not the use the best character in the game from a competitive fighting sense unless it's something weird like SF3 Chun-Li vs Yun or Blazeblue V-13 vs Rachel where the best character has a bad match-up.

Even in cases where multiple characters have no bad match-ups like SF4 with Sagat and Ryu why not pick Sagat when he has better MU's across the board ****** the cast harder.

People choose to not main the best character because they're play-style might flow better with that character or they like the character they're playing more than others. When you pick a lower tiered character they chose to take all of the pros and cons, whether their are more or less depends on the character.

Even I chose to main Link acknowledging he's a bad character. I could play easier if I played straight Lucario but I don't because I like Link.

Should people criticize people for picking the best character to win? no.
Should people criticize people for playing a character that is bad or considered nonviable? no.

People can play to win even if they aren't playing the best character.

Good read.

Just thought I'd throw this video out there. DMG seemed irritated that I was approaching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkd7os1Jf1k
This video is going to be everywhere isn't it.

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
While I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy playing this way, I don't play this way solely for enjoyment. I don't play Brawl for enjoyment. I play it to win money.
Then you are doing it wrong. Games are made to be played for "fun," not money. If you want money, go get a job. No way in hell I am reading the rest of that stuff since that's all I need from your great wall of text. Besides, it's obvious you are yet another person yapping their head off over how amazing they are and how they are a god at this game. W/e. We get it.

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
Make sure the buckets are filled with fiddler crabs. Then dump them on the head of a curly haired blond youth.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry for the lateness of this question, but I do have one, specifically for Overswarm. Why are you offering this help? If you do, as you said, "play [Brawl] to win money," why are you even interested in having your competition improve? Though I am sure that your reason may be to stop the whining that is found within the threads, that brings me to another question. Do you really think that this thread is going to end it?

Now, please, don't get me wrong, I thought that you post was incredibly well thought out. A great read. But I am still left wondering why you are offering this advice. If you play for money, why tell people that you are receiving their "donations?" That is my question.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Then you are doing it wrong. Games are made to be played for "fun," not money. If you want money, go get a job. No way in hell I am reading the rest of that stuff since that's all I need from your great wall of text. Besides, it's obvious you are yet another person yapping their head off over how amazing they are and how they are a god at this game. W/e. We get it.
I just received a $2,500 dollar check into my bank account for a month of work.... and that's with holiday break, since I work for a college. I got a job to pay for student loans.

Before that, I lived off of Brawl. All my bills were paid on time. During the stint of "living as a gamer" I got a Mazda 6 and a Dell XPS PC and both are currently fully paid off. This is in addition to living a normal life and spending time with my friends and girlfriend. Other than standard living expenses (food, insurance, etc.,) and student loan payments (Why I got the jorb), I am debt free.

In addition to this, the last tournament I went to (small house tournament), I won $40 from doubles. I spent $10 of that in advance to buy candy for all the participants as a Christmas gift, $20 on my entry fees, and I donated the other $10 to the charity Modest Needs as an anonymous donor. I rarely charge gas money to anyone who drives in my car, and I purchase food and snacks for everyone who comes with me to tournaments. I consistently have a supply of gatorade/powerade, mini snickers bars, nature valley bars, etc., etc., all just for giving away.

In my free time, I write up entertaining and educational posts for the masses of smashboards so that they can attempt to replicate my success in their own fashion by following my mental footsteps. Spoken through the mouth of a persona, it is both entertaining and to the point: play to win, and anyone that tries to stop you is someone you shouldn't replicate. Pissing people off means you're winning, just like means you saying

"Der, games are meant for fun!"

implies

"Man, winning money for playing a video game is so stupid! I'd rather work 8-5 for a meager salary while making no actual contribution to society other than serving them their food and/or bagging their groceries than win enough money to live off of by playing a video game. That OS guy? He's obviously an idiot. "Working" one day a week by traveling all over the Midwest and spending the rest of his days doing whatever he wants, "calling off" work whenever he wants, having no stress and plenty of free time? Man, screw that! That's DUMB! GET A JOB!"

When in reality, you and most other people would probably take a sledgehammer to the sternum for the ability to do what I do.

And you know what? I do it easily. I don't feel the need to prove anything, there's no drive, no push, no embarrassment to how I win or if I lose. Just a sense of satisfaction that most people can never experience.... and those that do?

They experience it very, very rarely.

So when you see someone like that take the time out of his day to write something to help you out, he's not doing it to feel good about himself. He doesn't need it. He's doing it to help you. This is especially apparent if you can read the wall of text and laugh, or at least be entertained, at the way I wrote it.

If someone like that is trying to help you, you listen. You don't ignore it because you can't move past the idea of playing Brawl in any manner that differs from that of a 7 year old.

But w/e, you get it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm sorry for the lateness of this question, but I do have one, specifically for Overswarm. Why are you offering this help? If you do, as you said, "play [Brawl] to win money," why are you even interested in having your competition improve? Though I am sure that your reason may be to stop the whining that is found within the threads, that brings me to another question. Do you really think that this thread is going to end it?
If you youtube "Overswarm" or go to halo.bungie.org (look for "Not So Common Sense", or just go here: http://halo.bungie.org/gameplay/stratguide/), you'll find multiple videos and/or articles of me teaching people things about Halo or Smash (I was around in Melee, too!).

If you live in the Midwest, you know I give smash lessons. $3 for a lifetime of lessons whenever I see you. I used to do it for free to everyone, but then a ton of people that weren't really interested would do it "just to see", so I charge $3. Too little to pay with one bill, too much to just give away as a gag, but worth it for anyone who actually wants to learn. In addition to that, I give tips to people that can, and many now have, beat me if they just change their playstyle a tiny bit.

Why?

Because it's easier for them, and it makes them happy. Xisin used to punish my tornadoing his shield by releasing his shield and over-bing me. He thought he was getting a good trade: I do 0%, he does close to 20%. I then was able to beat him whenever I felt like it by tornadoing his shield, getting over-bed, then tornadoing again. He'd have no shield, and I'd instantly shield poke. I'd do about 20% damage on that alone, and then would follow with u-air strings and a nair, then edgeguard... sometime for the KO. He probably wouldn't have figured it out if I hadn't simply pointed it out, or at least wouldn't have for a long time. When I did, it changed his entire perception on positioning and punishment. He instantly learned that your status in the game is sometimes MORE important than simply getting a one-shot deal. Most people don't learn this, and so they get an opportunity and they just use an f-smash instead of stopping and realizing that they'd be better suited to use a u-smash and then attempt to juggle them. They don't realize that making someone chase them to a platform means you can go underneath the platform and they are instantly in a bad position. These things are hard to pick up, and it makes the game SO much more enjoyable when people learn it.

I enjoy teaching people. It makes them happy, and it helps them grow.

Hell, the lesson from this thread is applicable to life. There could be some poor schmuck stuck in a relationship he doesn't want to be in daydreaming about the other girl he always wanted out there. He might read this thread and proclaim:

"HOLY ****! It never dawned on me that I'm sacrificing my own happiness due to some arbitrary moral code I or someone else has imprinted into my brain! I'm not happy in this relationship and I should leave, but I always stopped myself because I felt it was wrong and it'd piss other people off! Now, I'm realizing that if my ultimate goal is personal happiness I shouldn't limit my options based off how other people get angry, because they are getting angry only because my actions are preventing THEIR personal happiness! I merely have to choose between consistinly evaluating my situation based off of myriad of factors that are all unquantifiable and hoping the end result is one that allows me to feel morally clean to do what I've wanted to do in the first place, OR, I can stop being a scrub and just do it!"

Now, please, don't get me wrong, I thought that you post was incredibly well thought out. A great read. But I am still left wondering why you are offering this advice. If you play for money, why tell people that you are receiving their "donations?" That is my question.
Because I'm ****ing hilarious. :D

Seriously, it just makes me giggle. If someone gets offended they wouldn't be around very long anyway.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If you youtube "Overswarm" or go to halo.bungie.org (look for "Not So Common Sense", or just go here: http://halo.bungie.org/gameplay/stratguide/), you'll find multiple videos and/or articles of me teaching people things about Halo or Smash (I was around in Melee, too!).

If you live in the Midwest, you know I give smash lessons. $3 for a lifetime of lessons whenever I see you. I used to do it for free to everyone, but then a ton of people that weren't really interested would do it "just to see", so I charge $3. Too little to pay with one bill, too much to just give away as a gag, but worth it for anyone who actually wants to learn. In addition to that, I give tips to people that can, and many now have, beat me if they just change their playstyle a tiny bit.

Why?

Because it's easier for them, and it makes them happy. Xisin used to punish my tornadoing his shield by releasing his shield and over-bing me. He thought he was getting a good trade: I do 0%, he does close to 20%. I then was able to beat him whenever I felt like it by tornadoing his shield, getting over-bed, then tornadoing again. He'd have no shield, and I'd instantly shield poke. I'd do about 20% damage on that alone, and then would follow with u-air strings and a nair, then edgeguard... sometime for the KO. He probably wouldn't have figured it out if I hadn't simply pointed it out, or at least wouldn't have for a long time. When I did, it changed his entire perception on positioning and punishment. He instantly learned that your status in the game is sometimes MORE important than simply getting a one-shot deal. Most people don't learn this, and so they get an opportunity and they just use an f-smash instead of stopping and realizing that they'd be better suited to use a u-smash and then attempt to juggle them. They don't realize that making someone chase them to a platform means you can go underneath the platform and they are instantly in a bad position. These things are hard to pick up, and it makes the game SO much more enjoyable when people learn it.

I enjoy teaching people. It makes them happy, and it helps them grow.

Hell, the lesson from this thread is applicable to life. There could be some poor schmuck stuck in a relationship he doesn't want to be in daydreaming about the other girl he always wanted out there. He might read this thread and proclaim:

"HOLY ****! It never dawned on me that I'm sacrificing my own happiness due to some arbitrary moral code I or someone else has imprinted into my brain! I'm not happy in this relationship and I should leave, but I always stopped myself because I felt it was wrong and it'd piss other people off! Now, I'm realizing that if my ultimate goal is personal happiness I shouldn't limit my options based off how other people get angry, because they are getting angry only because my actions are preventing THEIR personal happiness! I merely have to choose between consistinly evaluating my situation based off of myriad of factors that are all unquantifiable and hoping the end result is one that allows me to feel morally clean to do what I've wanted to do in the first place, OR, I can stop being a scrub and just do it!"

Because I'm ****ing hilarious. :D

Seriously, it just makes me giggle. If someone gets offended they wouldn't be around very long anyway.
Good post.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
Alright Overswarm, I understand that you want to help people improve at playing Brawl, that makes sense. Actually, it is quite inspirational. Regardless, you also mentioned that one could be donating to society in lieu of blending into the commonplace. So your society is the Boards?

To discuss what was found in the thread, you provide the means locating a "good" character, but isn't that in many ways subjective? True there are societal norms that provide a means (where the "society" would be the Boards), but could it be true that there may be other aspects that you may have overlooked that make a good character?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Alright Overswarm, I understand that you want to help people improve at playing Brawl, that makes sense. Actually, it is quite inspirational. Regardless, you also mentioned that one could be donating to society in lieu of blending into the commonplace. So your society is the Boards?
It is A society. I've been playing the game for a decade, it better be.

To discuss what was found in the thread, you provide the means locating a "good" character, but isn't that in many ways subjective? True there are societal norms that provide a means (where the "society" would be the Boards), but could it be true that there may be other aspects that you may have overlooked that make a good character?
No. I'm never wrong.

Also, we have a tier list to help you. It is also subjective, but consistently updated.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
It is A society. I've been playing the game for a decade, it better be.

No. I'm never wrong.

Also, we have a tier list to help you. It is also subjective, but consistently updated.
Something tells me that tier list and consistently updated doesn't go together.

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
There is a skill you have yet to have shown, and that is something called "get to the frickin point." Why you feel the need to write essays to everything is beyond me, but it's far from necessary. As far as "jobs" go, I am an active marine working my own special 9 to 5, putting my life on the line so others don't have to do it in my stead. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I LOVE what I do, and I can honestly say I would not take a "hammer to my sternum" to do what it is you do because what you do can't compare to what I do on a day to day basis. Don't make assumptions kiddo, you won't be getting anywhere with them. What I do find amusing is this:

"If someone like that is trying to help you, you listen. You don't ignore it because you can't move past the idea of playing Brawl in any manner that differs from that of a 7 year old."

Lmfao. That first sentence amuses me cause you are talking like you have authority over me. Over a video game. Now I can't hold you at fault for not knowing who I am or what it is I do, but pretend you are a marine who has been shot at constantly as well as see things many people hope to never see in their lives, ever. Pretend you are me, and then pretend I just said that to you. Doesn't it sound completely comical? It should, because I think you'd be ****ed if you let some guy who is good at video games tell a marine THEY better listen to someone on something trivial.

I do ignore it cause I play games to unwind, or rather I did when I wasn't in Iraq. It just so happens I play in a style that I wish to be better in, back during the days of when I was a monster in the old street fighter 2 days (we are talking arcade machine brawls and stuff like that.)

Either way, you need to learn about getting your point across without essays. That's why I didn't read it. You could have said what had to be said in 2-3 blocks of text instead of 10+. Learn to take criticism. If it wasn't for guys like me then it would be a glorified circle jerk.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i would say something here, but after his last two posts im actually highly intrigued to see how OS responds to this.

What I will say tho, is that your post was pretty long for the point being to tell someone else that their posts were too long.

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
i would say something here, but after his last two posts im actually highly intrigued to see how OS responds to this.

What I will say tho, is that your post was pretty long for the point being to tell someone else that their posts were too long.
The difference is you don't have to scroll to see all my message, but you have to scroll to see all his, meaning mine is concise and to the point. It would have been a paragraph shorter but I just had to reply to that one sentence of his cause that actually made me laugh a bit. He went into this long unnecessary story about how and why he does the things he does when in reality he didn't have to validate himself to me. Anyone with a brain stem could see that the sheer bluntness of my initial response was dismissive at best. Instead of scanning over and ignoring it, he just had to take that moment to validate himself, why? I dunno. Probably to yield the result of posts like yours where you hope somehow he is going to put me in my place when there is no place for me to be put in.

I have no gripes with him though. He seems like a pretty decent kid. He does his thing and I do my thing. The difference is that my thing is an actual job as opposed to being paid for a hobby, and not a job. which is what he IS getting paid for; a hobby.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
There is a skill you have yet to have shown, and that is something called "get to the frickin point." Why you feel the need to write essays to everything is beyond me, but it's far from necessary. As far as "jobs" go, I am an active marine working my own special 9 to 5, putting my life on the line so others don't have to do it in my stead. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I LOVE what I do, and I can honestly say I would not take a "hammer to my sternum" to do what it is you do because what you do can't compare to what I do on a day to day basis. Don't make assumptions kiddo, you won't be getting anywhere with them. What I do find amusing is this:
While you may not have the patience to read, I do and others do as well; writing something that is humorous to read, or just fun to write, is enjoyable to me. I don't really care about the other end. I mentioned my having a job only because you said I needed to get one and criticized my way of thinking and lifestyle. I didn't ask about yours. I don't care what you do. I don't even care what you think of me; I just thought it prudent to inform you I'm not a money grubbing grinch that steals christmas to pay his electric bill. That's why I told you what I did with my winnings. So you know that I'm not "obviously" some guy talking about how good he is.

Also, I find it infinitely more enjoyable to play video games than to get shot at. Just saying.

"If someone like that is trying to help you, you listen. You don't ignore it because you can't move past the idea of playing Brawl in any manner that differs from that of a 7 year old."

Lmfao. That first sentence amuses me cause you are talking like you have authority over me. Over a video game. Now I can't hold you at fault for not knowing who I am or what it is I do, but pretend you are a marine who has been shot at constantly as well as see things many people hope to never see in their lives, ever. Pretend you are me, and then pretend I just said that to you. Doesn't it sound completely comical? It should, because I think you'd be ****ed if you let some guy who is good at video games tell a marine THEY better listen to someone on something trivial.
Not nearly as comical as someone saying "I'm a MARINE! OOH-RAH!" and expecting it to justify something he said. I don't care what you do. Hell, you might be a sucky marine that just enlisted because he was targetted in a poor neighborhood and got into the military mindset early. You could be a politician's golden boy who takes out entire anti-US terrorist camps all on his own. Don't care. At all.

You're on a video game forum talking about video games, and as far as you're concerned, I'm your superior. I know more than you, I have more experience, and I'm better qualified to teach it. If you're not looking to improve your game... then you're in the wrong place, and are just a wandering cynic and/or troll.

Look at it this way:

You telling me "I shouldn't listen to you, I'm a MARINE" when we're talking about video games simply because you've picked up a controller before is about as silly as me saying "I shouldn't listen to you, I've been to a FIRING RANGE!" when we're talking about live combat. It doesn't really relate.

What's more comical than logical fallacies? Constantly using them.

I do ignore it cause I play games to unwind, or rather I did when I wasn't in Iraq. It just so happens I play in a style that I wish to be better in, back during the days of when I was a monster in the old street fighter 2 days (we are talking arcade machine brawls and stuff like that.)
Don't care 'bout Iraq. This is also known as irrelevant. Come to a tournament and say "I'm a MARINE! OOH-RAH!", and I'll still 4 stock you in a 3 stock match. The words aren't magic. My degree is in English and Education, you don't see me posting "I'm a TEACHER! I spend my days creating inspiring and interesting lesson plans to make children learn and be the best they can be so they can go to college instead of getting a dead end job (or being forced to join the military)!" because it doesn't make any **** sense. Me saying "I'm a teacher" wouldn't change an argument's status unless it was about teaching or education. We're not talking about Iraq, combat, the marines, or even the military in general, so you being a Marine doooooooesn't apply at all. You are faceless here, and measured only by your contributions, smash experience, and intelligence. President Obama himself could come into this thread and tell me I shouldn't make long posts and I'd just call him a scrub and get on with my day.

Either way, you need to learn about getting your point across without essays. That's why I didn't read it. You could have said what had to be said in 2-3 blocks of text instead of 10+. Learn to take criticism. If it wasn't for guys like me then it would be a glorified circle jerk.
So let me get this straight:

You go to Brawl Tactical Discussion (a place to get better at Brawl)
See a post by Overswarm, a member of the SBR and someone who has lived off of his winnings (see: qualifications)
See that this post is long (see: irritation to impatient marine)
Know full well that the post is intended to improve the game of anyone who wants to do so (because a lot of people do)
Do not read it

...and you come in and say "Games should be played for fun!" and back it up by saying "I'm a Marine!"? Then criticize me by telling me I should get a job, make shorter posts, and after I let you know that I have a job and donate a large chunk of my winnings to friends, family and charity, you respond with "Oh yeah?! Well my job is AWESOME cuz I'M A MARINE"?

The difference is you don't have to scroll to see all my message, but you have to scroll to see all his, meaning mine is concise and to the point. It would have been a paragraph shorter but I just had to reply to that one sentence of his cause that actually made me laugh a bit. He went into this long unnecessary story about how and why he does the things he does when in reality he didn't have to validate himself to me. Anyone with a brain stem could see that the sheer bluntness of my initial response was dismissive at best. Instead of scanning over and ignoring it, he just had to take that moment to validate himself, why? I dunno. Probably to yield the result of posts like yours where you hope somehow he is going to put me in my place when there is no place for me to be put in.
Actually, I enjoy writing. I also enjoy arguing. And trolling. And arguing with military people until they say "I just do what I'm told". See that last little bit? It is known as a jab. It is humorous to me to make said jabs, and it isn't personal to you in any way. I actually have no strong feelings towards you whatsoever, but it is enjoyable for me to post in this fashion.

Plus, posting helps me concentrate when I'm playing poker online. Playing poker without doing something else makes me feel more impatient, so I type responses and say whateeeeeever I want to say. After all, a whole buncha marines are in Iraq getting shot at so I can.

I'm still not sure why you come into a thread on "how to be an irritating player" and say "games should be played for fun" to someone who has lived off them... and now you're saying that I should have "scanned over and ignored it".

Then again, most of my friends in Iraq say it gets pretty boring over there so they have to look for stuff to do.

Kishin

Smash Ace
What *might end up happening if a large sum of people really listened and dedicated to this is the game would get boring. Really boring. And what *might happen is that people get sick of it and quit the game. Then *maybe there would be fewer people attending tournaments. *If that happens then *possibly what will happen is that Brawl loses sponsors and such. The game would die slowly. Just speculation.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Your sig makes me curious. XD

Brawl will eventually die. If optimum play is really boring and causes it to die, it will be the natural death. Any attempt to not use optimum play will result in those that do getting easy money.

Also, I wish we had sponsors to lose. We're all grassroots.

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
I only brought up my job since you made the assumption that I worked some 9 to 5 at a grocery store or a typical college going kid's job. That's all that was. Nothing more. To be fair there was some assumptions being thrown around on my end towards you because most people do play games for money and strictly so. Live off mommy and daddy till they are 30 and what have you. If you are actually working, good. To be frank I have a grudge against anyone who doesn't do anything with their lives. I hate all welfare hounds and I know so many people who do that. I wasn't exactly pointing the finger at you for that, but it was ready to be jabbed through your eye if I was correct and that's ALL you did.

Sucky marine? Nah I am just overly patriotic lol. I love America and am willing to go through the BS to ensure a safer tomorrow. Or whatever the hell. What tickled me wasn't the fact that you are skilled at the game (hence the whole I don't have trouble with you calling yourself a superior thing,) it's the context that made me laugh. Nothing more. Don't look too deep into it, and by that I mean I am not insinuating that "I shouldn't listen to you, I am a marine!"

The Iraq thing was one line, and hardly constituted yet ANOTHER block of text from you ranting to me about irrelevance. Mine was a sentence; yours was 10. Side note is that you bring up you are majoring English which makes me laugh cause maybe your professors are different then the ones I had, but they'd have an aneurysm with all the fluff you constantly generate. But that's neither here nor there.

"...and you come in and say "Games should be played for fun!" and back it up by saying "I'm a Marine!"? Then criticize me by telling me I should get a job, make shorter posts, and after I let you know that I have a job and donate a large chunk of my winnings to friends, family and charity, you respond with "Oh yeah?! Well my job is AWESOME cuz I'M A MARINE"?"

I said the first part, I am backing nothing up because of my occupation. Why you are so hung up on that is beyond me. My retort to everything you said wasn't me praising my job. I only posted once to you after all. Quit trying to be a victim.

"I'm still not sure why you come into a thread on "how to be an irritating player" and say "games should be played for fun" to someone who has lived off them... and now you're saying that I should have "scanned over and ignored it".

Then again, most of my friends in Iraq say it gets pretty boring over there so they have to look for stuff to do. "

It's called drive by criticism. I said my initial piece, and anyone who has been following this thread regularly could dismiss me as either a "n00b, lazy, troll," etc and been done with it. Only you actively recognized it after all. Yes, you could have easily scanned over and ignored it.

and yes, it does get boring out there. Although I don't go back until like....a couple weeks from now. So this is just me killing time while I cook. :p

@Kishin: Nice sig lmao.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Side note is that you bring up you are majoring English which makes me laugh cause maybe your professors are different then the ones I had, but they'd have an aneurysm with all the fluff you constantly generate. But that's neither here nor there.
My English professors didn't grade my smashboards post.

and yes, it does get boring out there. Although I don't go back until like....a couple weeks from now. So this is just me killing time while I cook.
Me killing time while I kill poker. :p

Also, curse you for not falling for any of the bait. >:[

Most military people I know get upset when they don't get auto-cred for being in the military, so I just send them links to videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9j3Jtpz4k&feature=related

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
Lmao, nah nah, the only ones who seek that kind of stuff is the douchebag ones who think they are going to go to Iraq and live out some kind of Call of Duty, Saving Private Ryan lifestyle where it's action all the time and what have you. They are also the ones who piss themselves at night over gags their bunkmates do to them, then come back home with "war hero" stories. I just do my job, which usually consists of doing jack squat, but I do have my own share of stuff I do that is entirely the opposite. Depends on the situation really.

The webisodes thing like your link exist in droves there. Most of the time it's people dancing to really crappy hip hop or w/e. But it's not as movies or w/e depict it as. But I know the kind of people you are talking about. Deal with them far too much than I would like to.

Nicole

Smash Champion
This was an interesting thing for me to read at 5:37 am. I like your writing style, it's clever and doesn't get boring.

I guess you don't want MK banned anymore though, eh?

tedward2000

Smash Champion
This was an interesting thing for me to read at 5:37 am. I like your writing style, it's clever and doesn't get boring.
agreed.

If OS wrote a book just like this thread, I'd buy it.
It would be fun to read, regardless the topic.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
What *might end up happening if a large sum of people really listened and dedicated to this is the game would get boring. Really boring. And what *might happen is that people get sick of it and quit the game. Then *maybe there would be fewer people attending tournaments. *If that happens then *possibly what will happen is that Brawl loses sponsors and such. The game would die slowly. Just speculation.
In which people move on to a different game, like Melee or 64 or a Brawl mod or something that isn't even Smash like TvC.

And the world will go on.

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
I haven't heard much of TvC, does it have a promising future? To my knowledge I believe it has only came out in Japan at the moment.

Top Bottom