• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Manondorf

Smash Cadet
Fair is a great choice when you know you have a frame advantage on your opponent at the time, or if you need to hit someone above you (it reaches surprisingly high during the first few frames of hitbox).
1st active frame of fair

Ever since I discovered this I've been trying to use fair in new ways. Namely, punching people straight into the air. Works better on floaties (obviously). Attacking people from beneath platforms. Pretty situational, and not super effective but when it hits they will feel it. In general trying to connect with fair from below in order to continue an attack or answer the opponent's aerial (difficult to pull off, but rewarding). Knowing this also opened up new combo and followup options for me.

GO! GANON SKYWARD PUNCH!

Palpi

Smash Hero
I have been trying to incorporate f-tilt into my game for I see many good ganon players use it. I am not positive on how it should be applied instead of other moves. I know I can use it for edge guarding because it kills but other than obvious purposes, I havn't been using that much at all.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
hitting people with a fair if they're on a platform is pretty good, they'll probably shield it but at least if you hit it right you can usually knock them off the platform, just be ready for an instant aerial outta them, all in all i think ganon would still be in a better position though. Bad people who don't see it coming will give you a free hit / tech chase too

DUB

Smash Lord
A couple thoughts on Dash Attack:

I was playing around in friendlies teaming with a Jigg and found that it led to bunch of team combos off the stage due to the direction it sent people in. Also, it made it a easier to deal with Fox/Falco in 2v2 in much more crowded space. I could dash out of nair range and cut back in with a dash attack if timed properly to land it.

Also, does anyone use the first hit of n-air right before you hit the ground? It pops up nicely but I can definitely see some flaws with it. Just curious.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Ive been messing around with the nair a lot lately, face edge, jump waveland off platform into immediate nair, you can jab when you land too. Haven't been able to apply it at all yet but it looks cool. The only applications i've found for the nair are trading hits with someone who's hit you in the air and trying to follow up, early percent floaty combos, clanking projectiles in certain situations, though it's usually better to jab them if you can.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am wondering how to deal with some characters offensive shield pressure games like fox falco...hell, even falcon. I seem to play pretty well when I am on the offensive, but when momentum changes, I find it hard to gain it back as ganon.

Anyone have any tips against space animal shield pressure? I have been train to retreating bair or nair OoS or up B OoS but it is not working that often.

Siel

Smash Cadet
How many of you gannon's use moonwalking to your advantage? I some-what know how to use it but dont work it into any combo's .

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Upair OoS, retreating Fair.. you can even space a downair above their nair.
To add to this, retreating uair is great (uair is very fast, and you can double jump and do whatever you want afterwards if they are coming in hard), as well as ftilt (quick, good priority over nairs). I wouldn't plan on landing the dair many times when up against good spacies (they will pick and choose their approaches wisely, especially in regard to WHEN they approach... dair isn't always a strong option).

Palpi

Smash Hero
So would I be doing full hop uairs OoS so I can double jump after? I assume if I am doing the uair connect while I am rising so it hits them on the ground.

I think I have to experiment a bit more, to learn what do if they get up attack with me facing them or my back facing them and to DI out of combos better. Hopefully I will have some recorded matches in a couple weeks.

ty ace and kage.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
No, shorthop uairs! You want the hitbox to come out ASAP when trying to counter/trade hits with an approach. You can still double jump easily after a (retreating, in this case) shorthop uair.

You should be able to bair OoS and hit Falco (and even Fox if you're really quick) from a shielded getup attack. It has to be close to frame perfect so that the hitbox is low enough and comes out quickly enough.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I havn't been hitting with the bairs today and it has been really aggrovating so I stopped playing for the day.

The uairs have been working nicely.

...yeah I didn't expect fullhop uair to work.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
No, shorthop uairs! You want the hitbox to come out ASAP when trying to counter/trade hits with an approach. You can still double jump easily after a (retreating, in this case) shorthop uair.

You should be able to bair OoS and hit Falco (and even Fox if you're really quick) from a shielded getup attack. It has to be close to frame perfect so that the hitbox is low enough and comes out quickly enough.
Who needs doing stuff OoS when you can powershield jab or backair hehe.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Powershield jab on spacies is ****. Not as much as powershield d-smash with Peach though, lol.
Yeah it is ****. It often leads to grabs and techchase opportunities. I was talking about shielding a getup attack when your back is facing your opponent (what Palpi asked about).

LOL Chris.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I realize I suck at this game, I can't seem to punish rolls as well, but I know they're coming out, so either my execution is really bad or I can't recognize patterns. So, any ideas on how to improve on that would be beast. Also, I also wanted to know what's the proper way to space with Ganon, so I can't get punished nearly as easily? Secondly, how do edge guard the illusion when it's going above your head? And can anybody explain they're take on "Stage control"?

Daniel_the_Seraph

Smash Ace
I realize I suck at this game, I can't seem to punish rolls as well, but I know they're coming out, so either my execution is really bad or I can't recognize patterns. So, any ideas on how to improve on that would be beast. Also, I also wanted to know what's the proper way to space with Ganon, so I can't get punished nearly as easily? Secondly, how do edge guard the illusion when it's going above your head? And can anybody explain they're take on "Stage control"?
Regarding illusion edgeguarding (since I suck too and can't give much)

Depending on how far the spacy is away from the stage, you either

jump back--> fair (if they're pretty far)

or short hop uair (if they're close) or upsmash if you're feeling ambitious.

I'm posting this at 3:40 AM.

I need help.

Linguini

Smash Master
Yo I got the sickest combo yesterday. It was an Up air to Falling Up Air(while facing away from the stage and off stage) edgeguard on falcon and he died. It was around 35% LOL.

The first hit was light and kept the falcon in my body, the second one wrecked haha

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yo I got the sickest combo yesterday. It was an Up air to Falling Up Air(while away from the stage off stage) edgeguard on falcon and he died. It was around 35% LOL.

The first hit wa light and kept the falcon in my body, the second one wrecked haha
Did you turn around somewhere in there?

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I like to do about that Illusion. It's not the best choice to keep them off the stage, but it's still cool. I stand at the edge preparing to do the linguini illusion jab, but if they aim at your head, shield the illusion to wavedash out of shield and grab em. Then do whatever after that. Looks really fast.

Sometimes I'll charge an Up-smash to scare them into going for the ledge. The IASA is early enough to just ftilt em from there.

Siel

Smash Cadet
Any ways to stop a habbit of rolling? I seem to always get punished while rolling, even when i switch it up. and If I role once and my enemy keeps coming at me I wont stop rolling -_-

n0ne

Smash Ace
ilusion edgeguard...
if thyre aiming for the ledge... low ftilt.
if they aim for u, jab, or grab,
if they aim for another place, u can actually pretty see it coming because they are closer than usual... then bair or reverse upair is the best option.
If your oponent notices that u are defending ledges really well they usually start using up-Bs instead. this happens like 90% of the time.
to speak honestly I usually have more trouble with ledge-aimed UpBs instead of ilusion

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If they illusion at head height, up angled ftilt or a well-timed sh uair work wonders when you don't have time for another earial (bair is great also). And remember the tipman spike for sweetspotters.

To prevent yourself from having to roll as much (even though Ganon has a good roll, especially back roll), practice maximum-length wavedashing until you're consistent with it and start incorporating it into your game.

Daniel_the_Seraph

Smash Ace
So, Linguini, I've been wondering...

How do you wreck *****es with Ganon?

Slightly more serious note, who do you guys think is better, Linguini or RockCrock? I really can't decide. They're pretty close IMO.

Siel

Smash Cadet
Linguini is really good and is play style is amazing to, but I like kage's playing style .

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Kage's play style is awesome, I just think Linguini is better at more matchups (his edgeguarding, stage control, and ability to counter other characters approaches are unparalleled imho). And before someone says "Kage beat Mango", Linguini has also beat Mango many times. I'd also be willing to say that Linguini is the most technical Ganon. I think a lot of people get "tech skill" and "flashiness" mixed up. And just because one Ganon does more tricky cancels and edge tricks than another, doesn't make him more technical necessarily.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Kage's play style is awesome, I just think Linguini is better at more matchups (his edgeguarding, stage control, and ability to counter other characters approaches are unparalleled imho). And before someone says "Kage beat Mango", Linguini has also beat Mango many times. I'd also be willing to say that Linguini is the most technical Ganon. I think a lot of people get "tech skill" and "flashiness" mixed up. And just because one Ganon does more tricky cancels and edge tricks than another, doesn't make him more technical necessarily.
I thought flashiness was the best though?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Are you sure about that, I thought South was space animal city.. and since that's what you fight most of the time in tournaments then of course he'll be great at the matchup lol.

However, I pride myself with the marth/Falcon matchups, they are probably my best ones even if it can be tough against the other top players it's still my favorites and best matchups.

Linguini

Smash Master
Did you turn around somewhere in there?
Nah I didn't, I was facing my opponent while doing the double uair, that's why it looked so sick lol.
Are you sure about that, I thought South was space animal city.. and since that's what you fight most of the time in tournaments then of course he'll be great at the matchup lol.

However, I pride myself with the marth/Falcon matchups, they are probably my best ones even if it can be tough against the other top players it's still my favorites and best matchups.
People often make the mistake in thinking that i'm only good at the spacies matchups. I, just like you, haven't lost to any marths in the past couple years, wreck m2k's, and 2-0'd hbk at ROM2 as well.

Falcon, ive actually gotten really good against recently, and I actually play the matchup more often than spacies atm. Me and Hax go even and he's the best falcon against ganon hands down. At this point in my game I have a firm grasp on all the important matchups, with my only "decent" matchup being jiggs. ACE knows whats good.

Kage those matches vs Hax looked fun as **** though haha

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I thought flashiness was the best though?
Yeah, flashiness is pretty awesome I'm not trying to say otherwise lol

It's really more like, nearly all Ganons suck vs spacies since it takes forever to fully master those matchups. And yeah due to his location pasta is the best at them.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya probably, i suck vs good Falcos. But Fox I am not too bad at it. I just do not have the opportunity to play smash all that much anymore, there's no tournaments at least where I live.

And also Sheik, I think i might be better at that one.

Top Bottom