• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule...Keep it or ban it?

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I've been thinking lately that Hyrule itself promotes heavy camping making it broken to play on. I know Hyrule is highly favoured here as a neutral pick for a stage here in north america, but I honestly believe Hyrule is making this game spiral downwards into camp brothers 64. Before I begin, I would like to say I don't want Hyrule necessarily banned but kept so it's not a neutral anymore.

Problems that need to be addressed about Hyrule:

-Green slanted left groove
-Middle platforms
-Right side groove/Tent
-Air camping/stalling(Points throughout)
-Tornados!
-Stage size

Green slanted left groove: The left side of Hyrule, oh how I hate you so much! This side of the stage is quite often a dangerous zone to challenge campers at. It's a safe zone for campers because you cannot be punished by projectiles very efficiently. If you don't have a projectile? Well you are pretty much ****ed on approaching a person that is sitting there with their uptilt shield on(trollfacekirby). This place has a nice area to techchase though, can't complain about that if you're techchasing.

Middle platforms: A big problem I see with Hyrule's platforms is air camping and platform shield camping. Air camping can work wonders here with samus, jigglypuff, etc.. Shield camping or just camping the platforms in general can stop a game from progressing and/or stop most approach options. Say a samus is platform camping, what is a character like jiggly going to do? uair/nair against a samus dair? Not going to work! I believe the middle platforms are broken for air camping and just plain platform camping. Tornado here is ugly as well for disrupting games, causing gameplay changes to stir in someones favour if they didn't deserve it, lucky hit into tornado etc.

Right side groove/Tent This is the biggest problem area of this stage. Camping to get a combo or just camping to get a better position, this is the place you want to be if you want to have an adavantagous position on your opponent. This place features an arsenal of different combos you can do for each character easily by getting a hit or a grab. Most characters can get away with doing mostly only grabs to rack good percentage on, luigi, mario, dk, ness, fox, pikachu, can all do mostly only grab damage combos. The problem with throw only combos is that it you cannot DI the throws so hoping for them to **** up from it is something that shouldn't be happening, there should always be a choice of what you can do in a situation. Surviving to high percents is a minor problem in the tent area, but it's something that should be noted as well. Air camping, again this is a huge flaw with the design of this stage. Air camping can be achieved by staying on and around the top of the tent. Projectile camping from the tent area is known to happen with Fox and mario quite often making them the best in the area.

Tornados: So, these suckers are the worst environment disasters in this game. Tornados are capable of swallowing you up and tossing you back out for 14%. You can be stuck in a tornado and be struck by your opponent for additional damage, and may be able to attack you AFTER the tornado as well for a combo kill or just more damage. Tornados can appear in pressure situations to disrupt the gameplay. When you're hanging on the ledge and a tornado appears trapping you, that is broken because you will get punished for what you do no matter what, your options in this situation are either Z rolling up, dropping from the ledge and hoping to catch it again without going into the tornado, or going into the tornado. Randomly fast tornados swooping you up is dumb as well. Being hit into the tornado as said before.

Stage size: Hyrule is a big stage(derp), so why isn't it listed as a cp or ban yet? Sector Z is banned because it's big right? or is it because of tail wing camping? Anyways, at this point I would say Sector Z is less broken than Hyrule by landscape wise and terrain based.

So there you have it, why I think Hyrule should be considered as a cp or ban instead of a neutral. I may add more later for more references to specific events that happen here.

Discuss.

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
should be a counterpick in my opinion...
it's too good for campers and noobs..
99% of the foxies will cry,becouse just 1% of them can really play with combos and mindgames,not with laser spam and combos in tent... - thats a good reason for became counterpick to..

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
in b4 elitist ****storm, ****it dan it took you this long? I was saying this **** years ago and everyone ****ing jumped on me for it. XD Hyrule sucks, its good for long combos in/and casual friendlies but its a CP stage at best.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Can't ban hyrule as there aren't enough other tourney viable stages in the game.

Maybe make it a counter pick but definitely can't ban it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hmm... Interesting. I agree that tornados are annoying as all-get-out, and that it does promote camping to the extreme. But Dreamland? I love it as a falcon main, but Pikas and especially falcons get a major power-up there. Characters like link just get straight-up *****. Less camping, aye, but at the cost of a dramatically changed matchup chart. Kongo? Ledges of death, friend. Likewise with the GS stages (in addition to other problems that gamesharking brings up).

There are GS codes to take the nados out. Should those be used? Even offline, it's not that hard to do, although at tourneys it could be a hassle, and the camping still goes on.

Upon consideration, I'd have to say that I'm in favor of Hyrule being reduced, if not to counterpick status (CP is a bad abbreviation. Typing the whole word out is the way to go. Or at least CoP.) then at least to the status of the second go-to neutral.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Theres nothing wrong with battlefield...except DK mains whine about it, and the edges can gay you.
Ness gets ***** there too. GS Stages are a complete and utter pain on console; you couldn't play it if you didn't have a GS (A lot of people don't). Plus the deathedges are universally hated.

Quote from superboomfan that I can't be bothered to Actually look up the original post for-

"Battlefield is baaaaaaaaaaad".

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Good points Boom
if your playing a player who isn't campy
then it's a good stage.
But against campers it just sucks.
No matter what match the tornado randomly swallowing you will always happen.
But yeah an earlier post had a good point, there aren't that many stages we can play on so that's why Hyrule would be a CP.
Idk I don't find Sector Z bannable.
But that's just me

Battlecow

Play to Win
Good points Boom
if your playing a player who isn't campy
then it's a good stage.
But against campers it just sucks.
No matter what match the tornado randomly swallowing you will always happen.
But yeah an earlier post had a good point, there aren't that many stages we can play on so that's why Hyrule would be a CP.
Idk I don't find Sector Z bannable.
But that's just me
The Rwings are 100000000000x more annoying than the nados. They 0-to-death you out of nowhere, and you have no way of dodging. Plus ness can get hax healing off of them (he ruins all the stages, doesn't he?), and it's waywayway too big.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
The Rwings are 100000000000x more annoying than the nados. They 0-to-death you out of nowhere, and you have no way of dodging. Plus ness can get hax healing off of them (he ruins all the stages, doesn't he?), and it's waywayway too big.
Not really
you know where the arwings spawn
only in two places
then they shoot it so you have an idea of where they're coming.
If you see an Arwing (sometimes they take their time shooting) you just get the hell out of there

If the Ness isn't careful the lag times of his healing can get punished.

And the random times passing arwings can shoot you (you know the three stray shots, when they aim at your location) those are simple to dodge.
In my opinion they're both the same annoyance
cause you can get hit into the range of the Arwing or get hit into a tornado.
The Arwing I've never had any problem dodging

getting hit inside it is the problem.
I just love that stage, don't know why.

edit: It's three places
but one is high in the air so the chances of getting hit on that one are lower.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
i feel that boomfan's points are viable but the same consideration could be taken into every stage, thus making an argument to ban those as well.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Ness gets ***** there too. GS Stages are a complete and utter pain on console; you couldn't play it if you didn't have a GS (A lot of people don't). Plus the deathedges are universally hated.

Quote from superboomfan that I can't be bothered to Actually look up the original post for-

"Battlefield is baaaaaaaaaaad".
No more glitchy than any other poorly programmed surface in this game. You know I'm right.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
But Dreamland? I love it as a falcon main, but Pikas and especially falcons get a major power-up there. Characters like link just get straight-up *****.
Link gets second at the last japan tournament lol.

yes, I know it's japan version *** off

I think dreamland as a single neutral would be very competent actually. If Hyrule was a cp, you could still use Hyrule as your counterpick. It's just that most stages fit the Counterpick category and should be recognized as one instead of ignoring it >_>.

Sector Z lasers are mad gay btw.

Battlecow

Play to Win
It's not an insurmountable handicap, but it's a handicap; look at those matches between you and Isai where he was link and you were falcon and you played two on Hyrule and two on DL.

I'm sort of in favor of DL as sole neutral as well, but you can't deny that it would **** links and some other characters up, at least to some degree.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
hyrule is probably the most balanced level available apart from final destination.
put in there though that tornadoes are a huge advantage for pikachu players, characters get stuck in a tornado die from thunder at %50 (jiggs) up

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I think the tornadoes are what makes Hyrule fair other wise you could capitalize on the advantages as stated in the opening. The tornadoes make you move or risk KO thus making Hyrule fair. That is just my opinion anyway.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Japan and South America are way ahead of you.
Just saying.
North America is underdeveloped in the ssb64 metagame. Not really my fault.

I think the tornadoes are what makes Hyrule fair other wise you could capitalize on the advantages as stated in the opening. The tornadoes make you move or risk KO thus making Hyrule fair. That is just my opinion anyway.
>___> tornados break the stage even more, I don't know what you're saying honestly.

D

Deleted member

there is no stage fairer than hyrule in this game

if hyrule is bad, dreamland is abyssmal

(64 stages suk)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
One of the reasons why Sector Z is banned because of the ENORMOUS size. A fox player will DECIMATE practically anyone not as fast as him by simply running from one end of the main part and back and lasering the **** out of anyone.

Boom raises some great points but I'm with Sheer when he says: "Can't ban hyrule as there aren't enough other tourney viable stages in the game. " Counterpick maybe, but I wouldn't mind keeping it as a neutral.

MattNF

Smash Lord
One of the reasons why Sector Z is banned because of the ENORMOUS size. A fox player will DECIMATE practically anyone not as fast as him by simply running from one end of the main part and back and lasering the **** out of anyone.
Then how about Sector Z not being allowed if one of the players is using Fox or Mario?

Olikus

Smash Champion
What about Peach's Castle? No arwing, or tornadoes and perfect size. Maybe not single-handed the most neutral stage, but it is neutral and very funny. Find it as neutral as dreamland.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Then how about Sector Z not being allowed if one of the players is using Fox or Mario?
Mmm I still don't know. There can still be heavily uneven match-ups like Link against a slower player like Ness or Luigi. I can also imagine people excessively stalling under the tail fin.

If you did ban those things or got the Ness-on-Saffron-Counterpick rule going it could be OK I guess.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
N64 stages are all broken as hell. I don't think there is a such thing as a neutral stage in this game. Dream land? More like "crap I was thrown off time to get gimped" land.

Most likely the most neutral stage is DK jungle, its only problem is that the sides are really short and it's by far the hardest map to play on because of the rotating platforms.

People love hyrule because of its complex level design, and I love it as well. I highly agree with all of Boom's points about the camping and extremely unbalanced positioning.

smakis

Smash Ace
I have been picking dreamland almost every single friendly for like 2 years now, only play on hyrule if they request it (the european community can confirm this lol) for just these reasons

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong guys, I love Hyrule as a stage to play on. I just get tired of being the better camper to win though, Kefit can side with me on this x_x.

kabal

Smash Apprentice
For the tornadoes, just use the cheat to turn them off.

81131410 0000 is the code.

Top Bottom