• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
He's right. Ice Climbers used to destroy DK until Ripple figured out how to beat them. We basically limit him to 6 moves, but those moves work extremely well against the Ice Climbers.

His Down-B does outrange Blizzard, but if we see it coming and shield it, we can jump out of shield and attack. I like to go for Squall Hammer in a situation like that.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
He's right. Ice Climbers used to destroy DK until Ripple figured out how to beat them. We basically limit him to 6 moves, but those moves work extremely well against the Ice Climbers.

His Down-B does outrange Blizzard, but if we see it coming and shield it, we can jump out of shield and attack. I like to go for Squall Hammer in a situation like that.
Imo if you know how that DK player Plays you beat him easy cause your gonna see everything coming

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Imo if you know how that DK player Plays you beat him easy cause your gonna see everything coming
Not really. For example, ICs can use desynched blizzards on Ganondorf ALL DAY, and there's NOTHING he can do about it. Just because you know what's going to happen doesn't mean you'll be able to get around it. DK is a pain for ICs. He has ridiculous range and he's much faster than you'd think. If Nana gets separated, he'll most likely get a smash on her. You're best bet is lot's of desynched blizzards, but his down B outranges that, so you can't be too predictable.

And Link is not an automatic win for ICs. He can **** with bombs and separate the ICs easily. His sword has crazy range and his zair can be a pest. He'll probably always have a bomb in hand, making CGs near impossible. You have to be extremely careful or you'll get hit with a bomb and have to go save Nana.

I would go DDD or Marth with either of these matchups before I try ICs >_____>

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Not really. For example, ICs can use desynched blizzards on Ganondorf ALL DAY, and there's NOTHING he can do about it. Just because you know what's going to happen doesn't mean you'll be able to get around it. DK is a pain for ICs. He has ridiculous range and he's much faster than you'd think. If Nana gets separated, he'll most likely get a smash on her. You're best bet is lot's of desynched blizzards, but his down B outranges that, so you can't be too predictable.

And Link is not an automatic win for ICs. He can **** with bombs and separate the ICs easily. His sword has crazy range and his zair can be a pest. He'll probably always have a bomb in hand, making CGs near impossible. You have to be extremely careful or you'll get hit with a bomb and have to go save Nana.

I would go DDD or Marth with either of these matchups before I try ICs >_____>
that is true

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If he's trying to Ground Slap a lot you can SH Squall on top of his head.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Thats what i mostly do or i full hop close to him then ice block and blizzard works for me but someone here is gonna prove wrong about that in.. maybe a minute or 3

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
If he's trying to Ground Slap a lot you can SH Squall on top of his head.
I would be careful with this. His smashes are insanely fast, and if you misjudge when his groundslap ends, you might end up squalling right into an usmash or even an utilt.

This matchup is interesting... A mistake on either end is incredibly punishable >___>

meepxzero

Smash Master
the only way a good ice climber would lose to a dk is if they mess up every cg attempt on him. Cging him to the edge and spiking him = instant win. The only thing thats annoying about dk is he can up b into you and your pretty much have no choice but to take the hits and at times can desynch u and nana but u can space blizzards to prevent him from spamming that.

gantrain05

Smash Master
the only way a good ice climber would lose to a dk is if they mess up every cg attempt on him. Cging him to the edge and spiking him = instant win. The only thing thats annoying about dk is he can up b into you and your pretty much have no choice but to take the hits and at times can desynch u and nana but u can space blizzards to prevent him from spamming that.
i think you should play ripple or bum or bigfoot, i think you'll see it more clearly.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
A good DK will hardly ever get grabbed. His tilts and smashes make it very difficult to get in close enough to hit him, let alone get a grab.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So that's why Lain is so sexy and gay when he CGs people :3
I got three-stocked ._.

I only played his ICs once so far, but it was pretty ridiculous. Maybe I could have played better, I don't know. But until I play him again, and try harder at NOT GETTING GRABBED, I'm putting this at 65-35 IC's favor like lain says, or at LEAST 60-40.

It's pretty ********.

That match was recorded, too.

I need to earn my $2 back >=(

(he CPed MK when I CPed Brinstar, and it was nowhere near a 3-stock lolol)

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Three stocked by ice climbers who hasnt been three stocked by them (i do :D well untill now tho :p)

A good DK will hardly ever get grabbed. His tilts and smashes make it very difficult to get in close enough to hit him, let alone get a grab.
my solution is CAMP CAMP CAMP CAMP even tho he will still **** you lol
i just have sucky dk's in my list i got one that i nearly lose to and his tilts are irritating and those smashes are fast
but he jumps too much with Fair landing lag FTW (well only if you can get a grab outta them)

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Kirby?
Retreating bairs and fairs are annoying as hell. You probably wont get a grab on a good kirby. His dair does some dangerous stuff to icies too D:

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I got three-stocked ._.

I only played his ICs once so far, but it was pretty ridiculous. Maybe I could have played better, I don't know. But until I play him again, and try harder at NOT GETTING GRABBED, I'm putting this at 65-35 IC's favor like lain says, or at LEAST 60-40.

It's pretty ********.

i'm a gonna say we listen to the results and go with this guy.^^

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I got three-stocked ._.

It's pretty ********.

I've been telling Kirbys that ICs are one of his hardest matchups but no one listens to me. ._.;;

meepxzero

Smash Master
lol i love how our character is like still so novelty and people still have no idea about matchups XD. Im starting to really think the metaknight match up isnt THAT bad anymore.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
link's favor. he can out camp us as well as separate us pretty well. on the other hand, he's easy to CG with pretty much anything.... assuming of course he's not holding a bomb. jab is annoying, but like most things is outranged by blizzard. his arrows, bombs and bomberang can mess us up well. his zair is pretty beastly, but as we stay on the ground for the most part its not AS dangerous to us.

so to recap, he has: range, campy-ness, ability to gimp our recovery, good jab that is fairly effective against us, a nasty zair, and most important of all, one of the crappiest recoveries in the game.

also recapping, we have: CGs, blizzard, squall..... and CGs.

he will force you to approach and he WILL make it hard. once you get up to him though, he can jab/time a fsmash/upsmash to separate nana. as much as i ****ing LOVE desyncs, they will hinder more so than help in this matchup. its still doable though, but not as easily done as some would make you believe (ITF knows what i mean).

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I find it to be in our favor. If we desync our Ice Blocks to become cannon fodder, there is nothing Link can do much long-rangewise and would force him to approach. His moves are quite punishable if they miss and his recovery is on the worse side so he is easy to edgeguard. You shouldn't even be hit by fsmash. Just shield whenever you see him close by and punish with dsmash if he is behind you or dtilt when he is in front. If he tries to grab you, punish him with the other climber. If he tries to edgeguard, he can't guard both squall and belay because belay requires edge hogging and squall requires an aerial that hits vertically so he can't do both. If he tries aerials, even zair, just shield them all and punish. He can't do much to counter punish period.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
FP was pretty much dead on with his post. Link is an excellent camper, and ICs generally have trouble getting around projectile walls. CGs are close to useless. The one excellent Link I've gotten to play pulled a bomb whenever I got within a threatening range and would use retreating zairs (while still holding the bomb). It's difficult to approach this, and even if you do land a grab without Nana being lost along the way, the bomb will keep you from doing anything productive. Blizzard doesn't do too much in this matchup because Link's ftilt outranges it (I think). Bombs are SUCH a pain. One mistake and you'll be separated, and you'll have to start your approach all over again.

I'll try to think of more later...
Oh, and be sure to ban Norfair. You'll get ***** here.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
I think its links favor he can outcamp is with bombs and such and when we get close up b or grab can screw us up but then we get the grab he is still screwed tho but if we dont we can still desynch ice blocks as said before hmmm i dont know im gonna go for 50:50 right now

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I think its links favor he can outcamp is with bombs and such and when we get close up b or grab can screw us up but then we get the grab he is still screwed tho but if we dont we can still desynch ice blocks as said before hmmm i dont know im gonna go for 50:50 right now
kinda.

Desynching IBs will do NOTHING in this matchup. The risk isn't worth the reward.
Link will ALWAYS be running away, leaving a trail of bombs and projectiles for you to get around. Our options are limited when we get in close because Link can outrange almost everything we have, and blizzard gets to be predictable and punishable. Same with squall.

Keep in mind that Link's number one goal is to avoid getting grabbed, so he will hit and run the whole time. You'll want to stay synched, as it'll be easier to keep Nana from being pelted with stuff.

I honestly CP Marth or Falco for this matchup. Playing ICs isn't worth the frustration. =/

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I know you're on Link right now (and the thread is pretty much dead o_o) but I did play Chewy's Ice Climbers on Saturday in pools after getting 3-stocked by Lain that one match. He was able to autokill me pretty much every time he got a grab.

He beat me on I think Smashville, I beat him on Brinstar, and he counterpicked Luigi's Mansion and I beat him. Camping Bairs works fairly well in this matchup; they really shouldn't grab you if you space properly. Moneymatching lain was a bad idea, considering he's pretty much the best Ice Climbers player, and I've never played an IC main offline before that day ._.

After getting some practice in, it was winnable. If Kirby separates the ICs, he has an easy time getting rid of Nana. He can separate with a number of moves, but some of them are easy to shieldgrab compared to others. The safest are Bair and Upthrow. Inhale->Starshot also works pretty well, since Inhale gives you invincibility frames at some point while you are in the process of Inhaling a character.

60-40 Ice Climbers, just because a grab = death and Kirby has no long range. If Kirby plays extremely carefully, he can win it. He can also gimp pretty well.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I know you're on Link right now (and the thread is pretty much dead o_o) but I did play Chewy's Ice Climbers on Saturday in pools after getting 3-stocked by Lain that one match. He was able to autokill me pretty much every time he got a grab.

He beat me on I think Smashville, I beat him on Brinstar, and he counterpicked Luigi's Mansion and I beat him. Camping Bairs works fairly well in this matchup; they really shouldn't grab you if you space properly. Moneymatching lain was a bad idea, considering he's pretty much the best Ice Climbers player, and I've never played an IC main offline before that day ._.

After getting some practice in, it was winnable. If Kirby separates the ICs, he has an easy time getting rid of Nana. He can separate with a number of moves, but some of them are easy to shieldgrab compared to others. The safest are Bair and Upthrow. Inhale->Starshot also works pretty well, since Inhale gives you invincibility frames at some point while you are in the process of Inhaling a character.

60-40 Ice Climbers, just because a grab = death and Kirby has no long range. If Kirby plays extremely carefully, he can win it. He can also gimp pretty well.
i didn't know chewy used IC?

meepxzero

Smash Master
slow to respond to this but powershield every attack and grab? There usually slow and obvious i feel like most people who like whiffing attacks are just asking to get grabbed. ice climbers have like all the tools to beat anyone on the ground except maybe rob its just those ones that hang in the air 24/7 that are most difficult.

and yah id like to play bum, ripple, or bigfoot. The only dk i ever lost to i didnt feel like cging them 0 to death and then he counter picked me brinstar with wario -_-a.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
i didn't know chewy used IC?
Chewy mains the Ice Climbers.

Link's sword and projectiles give him a lot of range.

Link's Jab has many uses. He can cancel his Jab into almost any attack (another Jab, Up-B, D-Air.) Link's Jab can be cancelled into a kill move if they choose. The third hit has decent knockback.

Link's Tilts are generally slow. F-Tilt is Link's slowest tilt. It has a hitbox that reaches above him and in front of him, with enough knockback to kill at high percents. Down-Tilt sweeps directly in front of him. It pops the opponent into the air, with decent knockback. Link's Down-Tilt also has the ability to spike.

Link's Up-Tilt is pretty fast. He swings his sword in an arch, which covers around him and above him. It can kill at higher percents.

Link's Down-Smash serves as a decent kill move. It comes out fast and has good knockback. It hits on both sides, and can be directly linked from a Jab. Up-Smash has the same range as Up-Tilt and is slightly slower. He swings 3 times, with the last hit being the strongest. Up-Smash doesn't have that much knockback, and Link can be interrupted between the swings. His boost smash can slide pretty far.

Forward-Smash is his slowest smash. Link can swing his sword twice, with the second hit being stronger than the first. Link lunges when he swings, giving him more range on his F-Smash than his F-Tilt.

Link's Dash Attack it pops you into the air. It probably won't be used much due to its end lag.

Link's N-Air is a sex kick that has a lot of knockback at the beginning of the move. N-Air can be used to interrupt a string of attacks. It doesn't have a lot of range. F-Air hits twice, with the second hit being stronger than the first. The second hit is strong enough to kill. B-Air is their fastest aerial. B-Air hits twice, and is used as a retreating aerial, or can be used to link into another move. Some players like to do retreating B-Air's to Quick Drawn Arrows. N-Air, F-Air, and B-Air all have low landing lag, making it easier for him to follow up into another move or defend.

Link's Up-Air reaches directly above him with a lot of range and stays out for a long time. It can kill if it hits at the beginning of the move. The weaker hit will knock you right back into the air. Link's moves from under can make landing difficult.

Link's D-Air is his most reliable and possibly strongest kill move. D-Air is even more powerful when combined with fast falling. If he hits someone or bounces off a shield, the second bounce will have weaker knockback. This has a lot of landing lag and is easily punished if it misses.

Link's Clawshot (Z-Air) has insane range, with no landing lag. It can hit twice for 10 damage when fresh. It can be used directly out of an Airdodge and with a Bomb in hand.

Link's projectiles make it easy for him to outcamp us. His Arrows fly at a high speed and fly faster and farther when charged. They can be Quick Drawn upon landing. The arrows aren't used much because it leaves them in one spot for too long. His Boomerang has many uses. It's not strong when thrown directly, but the wind effect has many uses. It can bring the opponent closer to Link, or push them away. It can also gimp recoveries.

The most dangerous projectiles are his Bombs. Link can pull up to 2 out at a time. A bomb can seperate the Climbers, and can help him escape when he is being chaingrabbed. These Bombs can be thrown or dropped anywhere and can be used against him also. The Bombs explode over time.

Link's Spin attack on the ground can be charged. The longer he charges, the stronger it is. It has moderate knockback when uncharged, but when charged it can kill. If you don't get hit by the initial hit, it second hit isn't nearly as strong. If the attack is Powershielded, you can attack him before he finishes spinning.

Link can edgeguard us pretty well with his attacks. He can D-Air offstage if we go near the ledge, so watch out for that. He can also use his Boomerang to blow us away from the edge.

Link has the worst non-tether recovery in the game. A Down-Tilt will send him out too far to recover if done by the edge. He can clawshot instantly to grab the edge if he sees this coming. If he recovers from below, Ice Blocks can disrupt his recovery. If he recovers from above, try to hit him back off the edge.

The main challenge in this matchup is dealing with Bombs. You can do this by catching a Bomb if he throws one at you. Doing this will only allow Link to pull out only one Bomb if you have one in your hand.

You can probably juggle him well, but Bombs can interrupt that. Being Desynched a lot in this matchup is asking to get separated.

A flat stage like Final Destination may help you get a few grabs on Link, because his mobility isn't great and there is little place to run. Stages with platforms like Battlefield and stages that move help him camp with Bombs better. Norfair is the worst place to fight Link because it's probably his best stage and one of our worst.

Link is heavy, so hobbling him is probably easiest. Killing him off the sides is your best bet because if you send him far enough, he may not make it back.

This is 60-40 in Link's favor. It's a frustrating matchup on both ends. Link outranges us and outcamps us.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I had som e friendlies with Izaw and IMO it seems like an advantage for ICs.
Run in and powershield the zair, and punish depending on if he holds a bomb or not, if he's holding one, just fsmash/squall, if not, to bad for him he´s lost a stock.
Has been a while since then but forcing him to hold the bomb when exploding alot might work to rack up damage...

gantrain05

Smash Master
slow to respond to this but powershield every attack and grab? There usually slow and obvious i feel like most people who like whiffing attacks are just asking to get grabbed. ice climbers have like all the tools to beat anyone on the ground except maybe rob its just those ones that hang in the air 24/7 that are most difficult.

and yah id like to play bum, ripple, or bigfoot. The only dk i ever lost to i didnt feel like cging them 0 to death and then he counter picked me brinstar with wario -_-a.
yeah, ripple is just too good with his downB, on another note, i look forward to getting ***** by Lain at the 2nd midwest circuit event. i've never once played anyone remotely good with ic's so i expect to get alot of valuable knowledge out of the matchup.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Link can nullify IC's cg with his trusty bomb and he can space IC so they doesn't even get close. We can zair with a bomb in hand for additional defense and we have a sword to further space. Ice block spam doesnt really work since link's hylian shield just sends them backwards simply by ducking. If we manage to get IC offstage we can kill nana because she is stupid like that. IC probably want a flat stage against Link because platforms help him escape the cg.

65:35 IC or 60:40 IC

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Lucario hmmmm lets see what can i say
He is irritating his side b sometimes ***** but we have down be or side b to fix that
the chain grabs are fairly easy on him cause of his weight hmmmm...
His uptilt is irritating but if you play defensivly it wont be a problem
His aura ball is only irritating if it hits (it doesnt hit me that often)
Down b is just Parry wich sux sometimes but i just grab them mostly haha :3
His smashes are only strong at high percentages 120%+ then they will be killer below that their still good but mostly ice climbers kill them under the 100% well atleast i do

i have a hard time sometimes against him but that is just me

:lucario: 40:60 :popo:

300th POST!!
Woohoo awesome lulz :3!

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
One IB can stop a fully charged aura sphere. It takes a second to shoot TWO IBs, and it takes him forever to charge up ONE aura sphere. ICs win the camping game.

Luc's fsmash has deceptive range. His utilt can combo at low percents. His grab is VERY fast and will separate the climbers. He's not too hard to gimp (IBs may even work).

He's very easy to CG and his recovery isn't too good, so a CG>spike is a good choice. Lucario's greatest asset, his aura, is completely negated by our ability to kill him from any percent with a grab. I think his "god mode" is anything past 169%. I guess just be aware of how much damage he has.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
his aura gives him some deceptive range. he can CG us for a little while with his side b due to it hurting the other climber when it goes off. his dair is super effective at splitting us up. as far as aura sphere is concerned, an ice block will finish it up nicely. he can do double team to catch you off guard, but the end lag means if he screws up its an easy CG. additionally he has a crap recovery, but an awesome getup attack. he's pretty dangerous if he lands on the ledge or the stage so whether you want to edge guard him when he's pretty close is up to the player. if he's far away then he's freaking easy to edge hog, but most good lucarios can dominate the field pretty well.
Cgs are a good way to wrack up damage on him, but on slip up and you just made a ****ing beast. as i already said his aura has deceptively long reach and you will generally have to coem to lucario so its on his terms. ice block camping works against you in the long run as every hit on him just makes him that much strong and that much easier for him to kill you. i say its in lucarios favor simply because of his aura, his ability to easily separate us, and that if you aren't perfect with your CGs he will **** you.

60:40 lucario

*waits for bnzaaa to give his oppinion*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom