• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike 2008 Superlatives

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
he still used Ike creatively and discovered something real Ikes did not. but if we want to limit it and exclude secondary/tertiary Ikes then its the counter draw guy.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion

Pierce doesn't even play ike, he's known for being marth onry (though he has an extensive knowledge of mario, link, and falco and can play them in friendlies once in a blue moon) he found it on marth and just figured it would work on ike too (and it doesnt work exactly the same, you have to reverse it).

The guy's in my crew, who the hell are you telling?

And counter draw's only real use is an escape tactic.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Arturo, don't be putting words in my mouth. I've never played in NYC before. And May doesn't really count anyway...way too long ago. Jesiah was definitely the best in the Rochester area...I usually go more or less even with him.

Also it makes me sad you diss Midwest so much... :o Naturally it isn't as competitive of a region as Atlantic North...but it's not like I play ALL scrubs either...this has come up before hasn't it? >.> But I digress...

Nyah.
Best post - Whichever one caused kirk and myself to say blasphemy at the same time on AIM, I forget.
All I remember was that it was about something Comboking did/said...either way it was WAY too funny.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I wasn't putting words in your mouth kirk I was just remembering tournament results I saw a long time ago way back when you used snake/Ike, I just thought those had been from NYC. Well even so kirk is the best Ike.

I don't like other regions getting dissed either just because it doesn't have people like M2K or DSF doesn't mean everyone sucks. Like I said earlier AZ is east cost and he lost to OS.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I don't like other regions getting dissed either just because it doesn't have people like M2K or DSF doesn't mean everyone sucks. Like I said earlier AZ is east cost and he lost to OS.
Anecdote-wise, ninjalink has a winning record on m2k, but has never beat dire vulcan. What does any of this mean? Not a thing. I wasn't even counting m2k, azen, and ninjalink (easily 3 of the 4 top players in the country) in that category because I brought up the roster thing for a reason (the answer is that like wario, rob, pit, wolf, samus, pokemon trainer, link, ganon, and maybe lucas are lacking widely known 'best players' in the atlantic north region, or at least within a 4 hour drive from the atlantic north region). The general level of play/competition of the average player on the east coast dwarfs that of the rest of the country, which is why so many weird upsets happen. Kirk is really just that much better than the average player in his region, if that's considered ****ting on an entire region, then I guess I'm inadvertantly doing so.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
what does NL loosing to vulcan have to do with anything? I only mentioned the AZ OS thing because you make it sound like anyone in EC can just go to the mid west and wreck everybody. I also doubt the general skill level of the EC dawrf the entire country. I will admit that it has a greater number of high level players but the average player isn't something that stands out. If anything the EC has the best average players because of how dense the community is over there. They have 150+ people turnouts with out having scrubs show up or the whole cost travel.

Now that I think about it you have no reason to be saying that the average EC player has more skill the the average player in any other region because these people don't travel. There's just nothing to base this on except oh our high level players are better so we must be better too.

You also forgot Ike and peach in that list.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I only mentioned the AZ OS thing because you make it sound like anyone in EC can just go to the mid west and wreck everybody.
OS is probably one of the best people in the entire region, just beating one person from the east coast means nothing, much like my anecdote (the point was you dont mention who beat who to make a point). I'd put up the best on the east coast against the best in any other part in the country in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd put the average player on the EC up against the average player in the midwest and not for a second consider anything but absolute **** on our part, do you understand how packed and well played the general metagame on this side of the country is? I came up with 8 characters out of thirty seven that don't have a notable player on the east coast, don't make me laugh.

And no, I didn't forget ike and peach on that list because I said "best players" and last I checked there's about 5-6 ikes on the east coast that are absolutely beast with the character, and notably so (azen, neo, myself, nl, silven, and alukard), and regardless of whether or not people like the guy, drk pch has placed enough for there to be worthwhile arguments about it, mikey lenetia lives in MI, which is driving distance from east coast, and nikok also lives within driving distance of the east coast. Edrees is the best one, but you're silly to even try to come up with that crap.

You're gonna tell me that you watch through the people kirk has to fight, and, even for a second, think that any of them stood a chance? He's an east coast caliber player in a region that can't touch him until the very least winner's quarters, and stating otherwise would just be silly.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
Arturito Burrito was adamantly vocal about something that he was completely misinformed about. It took 3 pages of this crap before the guy he was name dropping steps in and he finally concedes that he has no idea what he was talking about. Is it going to be another 3 pages before he gets a clue? or will ryko give up trying to enlighten him by then.. OR maybe it'll go on for another 20 pages? who knows...

*grabs the popcorn*

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Arturito Burrito was adamantly vocal about something that he was completely misinformed about. It took 3 pages of this crap before the guy he was name dropping steps in and he finally concedes that he has no idea what he was talking about. Is it going to be another 3 pages before he gets a clue? or will ryko give up trying to enlighten him by then.. OR maybe it'll go on for another 20 pages? who knows...

*grabs the popcorn*
*Grabs, german suplexes, throws out of the topic*

And stay out.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
If I may make a comment, what about the players who can't even go to a tournament mainly because of family objection or the inability to even get there? They have no chance to even express their talent using a character and have to stick to Wi-Fi. My question is, is it fair to judge the best offline Ike knowing that several players such as myself can't make it offline tournaments?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
OS is probably one of the best people in the entire region, just beating one person from the east coast means nothing, much like my anecdote (the point was you dont mention who beat who to make a point). I'd put up the best on the east coast against the best in any other part in the country in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd put the average player on the EC up against the average player in the midwest and not for a second consider anything but absolute **** on our part, do you understand how packed and well played the general metagame on this side of the country is? I came up with 8 characters out of thirty seven that don't have a notable player on the east coast, don't make me laugh.

And no, I didn't forget ike and peach on that list because I said "best players" and last I checked there's about 5-6 ikes on the east coast that are absolutely beast with the character, and notably so (azen, neo, myself, nl, silven, and alukard), and regardless of whether or not people like the guy, drk pch has placed enough for there to be worthwhile arguments about it, mikey lenetia lives in MI, which is driving distance from east coast, and nikok also lives within driving distance of the east coast. Edrees is the best one, but you're silly to even try to come up with that crap.

You're gonna tell me that you watch through the people kirk has to fight, and, even for a second, think that any of them stood a chance? He's an east coast caliber player in a region that can't touch him until the very least winner's quarters, and stating otherwise would just be silly.
I already agreed on the EC having the best high level players how ever your just being stupid saying that the average player will beat the average player in any other region. These people don't travel and if you haven't been to another region then you have nothing to back you up other than hey m2k is better than OS that must mean I'm better than joe.

best =/= beast. So yes you did forget Ike and peach on that list. dark pch even admitted to actually being a terrible player and no he didn't place enough because eddrees has the best tournament record and you can't say something about him being in a ****y region. I have no idea why it is silly since you specifically said best.

Spoiler:
kirk hasn't won every tournament he has been to in the midwest so yes there are people who stood a chance against him. He's also lost before the winner's quarters so try again.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I stated best players with the character for a reason so once again, no, I didn't forget either character on that list. You're throwing around single solitary kings of the character as if even for a second the other ikes I mentioned aren't as good as kirk is. What basis do you have to state that, that we don't go to some third rate region and 2 stock kirbies that don't know how to combo and gimp ike, game and watches who flat out ledge hop into front smashes twice in a single match, falcos that can't double laser to save their lives, or foxes that actually have no idea of how to handle the matchup? You know how I can tell when a player is good and when they aren't? When they realize that Ike punishes habits, and as a result STOP using a habit that's getting their *** kicked. You know how many times I hit people with pressured jabs to turn around fsmash? Once at the very best, then it stops completely because good players don't get caught by the same **** twice.

The people I mentioned, including kirk, are flat out the best ikes in the country, and you're silly to state that someone like azen or NL couldn't take Ike to somewhere like illinois and take first without even sweating loser's. Before you go "way to bring up the best people in your region", the point was that Kirk is a better all around player than the people he runs into on a regular basis (and all of you know it's true). For the record, bringing up fluke losses here and there does nothing to vindicate your response. I already mentioned one of the people kirk has lost to in the 5 or 6 people that he'd have to sweat in his region, but I've also seen some of the people he's lost to in the past play and it wasn't because the player was even remotely good. Chompy's diddy for all intents and purposes is pretty much a joke, kirk just pretty much got stuffed by his character's limitations and not being on his A game against a sub-par player. **** happens, playing a worse character provides kirk with the burden of having to play at the top of his game at all times to prevent a better character from lucking out. Next time he went up against the kid he ****ing ***** the balls off of him, because kirk's good and that diddy isn't.

As for Drk, the guy goes on emo trips because of forum drama and regularly talks about how he sucks all the time. On the exact same note he'll be happy to tell you how recently and often he places at tournaments, and the number isn't miniscule, it's actually a decently fair amount. You learn to ignore him either way and assess the situation for what it is, guy just said he sucks so Nikok would just shut the hell up and stop trolling him. When you read a quote, do you actually hit the arrow next to it and go to the post (and the ones surrounding it) to pick up the context?

You know why I'd put the average player in our region up against the average player in any other region? Because our tournaments tend to get so many dauntingly good players that someone's getting a ****ty bracket and going into loser's early. Based on tournament performances, I could very well use shadow as an example and state that based on singles performance, he'd be considered an average player. When you put in the context that, hey, he actually regularly destroys doubles all the time and that this region is just so chock full of disgustingly good meta knights that we have good practice against them, suddenly he wouldn't be considered just average. Pierce falls into the same category based on results, when he's pretty blatantly like top 5 when it comes to marth mains in this country. Or you have people like malcolm who place decently well but not "god I **** my surrounding area" well and then realize "wait, he's rather obviously one of the best sonics in the country". I can come up with more people, like chromepirate, umbra, rookie, etc. When players like boss still only make 9th at best in a region, you get an idea of how **** hard it is to get there in the first place. Our "average players" are still retardedly good, your average player in another region only makes it out of pools because there aren't enough actually good players to keep them in place.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Alright, you can't say AZ is both east and midwest, you have to pick one. The problem is you can probably at best only name a few (top 20 and I'd be genuinely impressed). I know who the good players in your region are, I keep up with watching them and their performance consistently.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
What am i missing in here ? lol

Still tight ryko got credit for the jab to bair. Ppl bout to make me get KillaOR in here. >_>

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Here are my votes

Noobiest Ike: I don’t remember his username; he had a DK posing as Captain Falcon as his avatar and spammed ridiculous one-line posts. This example is from a Quick Draw discussion: “QD is a great move, you guys are just thinking too hard”;

Biggest flamer: Falconv 1.0 by a landslide. He probably drove off more noobs than trolls from our board;

Manliest Ike: SaltyKracka, because playing both Ike and Ganondorf is just too manly;

Best Thread: Ashunera’s Library, the compilation of our board history and the hangout for the coolest Ikes around;

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I stand corrected, i knew it was P something.

If I may make a comment, what about the players who can't even go to a tournament mainly because of family objection or the inability to even get there? They have no chance to even express their talent using a character and have to stick to Wi-Fi. My question is, is it fair to judge the best offline Ike knowing that several players such as myself can't make it offline tournaments?
Being the best but stuck to your bedroom doesn't really do much, sorry to say. Besides, it's fairly safe to say it's not entirely likely that someone whose entire competitive exposure is wifi will be the best with their character. While someone like Neo only gets to practice during the weekdays because of wifi, he gets tons of matches in during tournaments.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
just passed my Drivers test today, can drive now 18 years old don't have to wait for anything. yeah... but yo me best ike online? i want the best ike offline, and that's what i tend to do once i enter my first couple of tournies in chicago/ohio. since indiana is that **** boring see you then mr. ryko, 3rd time posting on this site heh. should visit the ike boards more often to see what ya'll up to, peace.

CO18

Smash Hero
just passed my Drivers test today, can drive now 18 years old don't have to wait for anything. yeah... but yo me best ike online? i want the best ike offline, and that's what i tend to do once i enter my first couple of tournies in chicago/ohio. since indiana is that **** boring see you then mr. ryko, 3rd time posting on this site heh. should visit the ike boards more often to see what ya'll up to, peace.
uh oh ren bout to bust em up

comboking

Smash Master
1) Best Ike under what terms? Azen and NL are both amazing ikes but don't main him. Alukard is a ridiculously good ike but rarely if ever plays brawl. Kirk has the best tournament placings but it's the midwest, silven and I never place well but it's the hardest region in the country.

2) Ren

3) NL Silven or Myself probably.

4) Combo king

Kirk
Alukard
Ussi because no one else plays the color
Myself or Silven
Ninjalink
And you forgot tan.
What am I in your post for?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
comboking, there's not too many categories Ryko would include you in a post for, he even numbered it.

Anyways, thanks y'all, I'll work on getting this lookin' good. I reckon' that it'll be up by mornin' or evenin'. I'm addicted to these doggon' apostrophes, ya reckon'!

Speaking like a bloody fool aside, it should be up soon.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Forgot to add this to my first post:

Worse Board: Lucario Board.
Best Board: Link Boards maybe? I don't remember having any problems with them. Or the Samus boards for being the only board with a projectile user and NOT giving themselves the advantage right off the bat. XD

comboking

Smash Master
comboking, there's not too many categories Ryko would include you in a post for, he even numbered it.

Anyways, thanks y'all, I'll work on getting this lookin' good. I reckon' that it'll be up by mornin' or evenin'. I'm addicted to these doggon' apostrophes, ya reckon'!

Speaking like a bloody fool aside, it should be up soon.
You edited the OP before I read it so number 4 could be number 10 right now. You get what I'm saying?

•Col•

Smash Champion
Forgot to add this to my first post:

Worse Board: Lucario Board.
Best Board: Link Boards maybe? I don't remember having any problems with them. Or the Samus boards for being the only board with a projectile user and NOT giving themselves the advantage right off the bat. XD
Uh, I think the worst may have been the Pokemon Trainer board... x_x;;

As for the best.... Probably Link... xD

EDIT: And comboking, I'll give you a hint. It's around the middle of the list, and it doesn't start with the letters "M" or "B"... >_>

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Fox is tied for/ PT

Fox thread just straight up disrespected me. PT at least didnt complain as much. EVERYONE in teh fox thread was hating.

Top Bottom