• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

BBQTV

Smash Master
when my opponent is coming back to the stage i try to hit them with a forward smash

theeboredone

Smash Legend
yesterday i was playing ike and i just found out i like ike

what characters does he do bad against? i handled a snake pretty well and i think falco gives ike a hard time
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271374

That's the link to our MU ratios. It's done by averaging out each Ike main's opinion on the match up. In any case, I would stay away from anything 60-40 or worse in the opponent's favor. Those matches tend to get tedious and troublesome.

when my opponent is coming back to the stage i try to hit them with a forward smash
You should provide a better explanation. In general, charging an F-smash can become too predictable and too easy to counter attack. If you can guess the roll from your opponent, then yes, great move. Otherwise, stick retreating F-airs, grabs from get up attacks, or up-air for aerial predictions.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Link is easy to gimp. Not hard to get through his projectiles.
Bowser. Spacing. Easy to gimp.
CF. Spacing. Easy to gimp.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
Link is easy to gimp. Not hard to get through his projectiles.
Bowser. Spacing. Easy to gimp.
CF. Spacing. Easy to gimp.
Why is Bowser easy to gimp ? I don't manage to gimp Bowser that much. The only thing that works well is a walkoff Fair imo :o

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Walk off counter to reverse aether pretty much spells the end of DK and Bowser's recovery. Probably Link and other predictable recoveries too.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Dear Ike Boards,

Some of you probably have already noticed that I haven't been showing up on the Boards as of late nor been posting in tournament threads. I'd like to inform you all that I've decided to quit the competitive Brawl scene and move on with my life. After going to several tournaments, I realized that I just don't really have the heart to play this game competitively, or any games for that matter. After meeting different players and getting to interact with them, I found that it was the social aspect of the game that kept bringing me back. It was fun getting to know different people and I don't regret any minute of spending my time for this game. But like anything in life, there comes an end to things and I decided that this was probably where I should stop. I have my college life ahead of me and I can't wait to try out new things in life.

I apologize for not being as active in the tournament scene as most of you have been. I realize that if I were more active, I'd probably be helping active tournament Ike representatives like Bored, Red-X, san, Mr. Doom, Brett, etc. It's only so hard going to several tournaments, let alone huge tournaments that are very far away from where I live. On the other hand, I hope that what I've contributed for the past two years with my experience with matchups, my input about several aspects about the game, as well as my advice to some of the newer players have benefited the boards. In the end, it's probably the person who does well in tournaments representing Ike that stands out the most, but I hope that everything I've done for the Boards has received some recognition. It honestly has been a real blast testing different things out, playing different people, learning new things, trying out new things, and above all, becoming a better analyzer. Of course, my experience with the game wasn't without any frustrations. Difficult matchups, arrogant players who were annoying, and sometimes, extreme immaturity often made me wanna punch a wall. (I've thrown controllers at walls when I raged before). But I reiterate, it's been a great experience and I hope that people don't forget who I was.

And with that, I'd like to finish up saying that for those of you who will continue to play this game competitively, good luck and I wish you the best. But not only that, I'd like to provide some advice. For one, don't give up when things reach rock-bottom for you. I know for a fact that when I reached a wall because of the Meta Knight matchup or some other frustrating aspect of the game, I would always think of giving up. But it's at this point where one can improve drastically. Keep playing the game and try different things. You will improve, I guarantee it. Another thing is to ask players who are better than you for advice. These players are obviously seasoned in the game and have a lot of information about it. Why not ask them to share this information with you so you can get better? And finally, in tournaments, play only for yourself. Don't focus so much on others, but focus purely on your own game. The moment your mind wanders, that's the moment when you will lose a match. Keep your mind calm and retain your concentration on how you'll approach a certain match or other aspects about your own game. All these tips sound cliche, but I know that for myself, these guidelines have helped me to keep my focus and perform better in tournaments.

I hope that this long line of text won't discourage any of you from quitting the competitive scene. If your desire is to keep playing Brawl competitively, then go for it. Good luck to all of you, and I hope that all of you make the right decisions not only in Brawl, but life in general. Love you all. Kimchi signing out.

BBQTV

Smash Master
the longer your im quitting speech is the quicker you'll be back

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Dear Ike Boards,

Some of you probably have already noticed that I haven't been showing up on the Boards as of late nor been posting in tournament threads. I'd like to inform you all that I've decided to quit the competitive Brawl scene and move on with my life. After going to several tournaments, I realized that I just don't really have the heart to play this game competitively, or any games for that matter. After meeting different players and getting to interact with them, I found that it was the social aspect of the game that kept bringing me back. It was fun getting to know different people and I don't regret any minute of spending my time for this game. But like anything in life, there comes an end to things and I decided that this was probably where I should stop. I have my college life ahead of me and I can't wait to try out new things in life.

I apologize for not being as active in the tournament scene as most of you have been. I realize that if I were more active, I'd probably be helping active tournament Ike representatives like Bored, Red-X, san, Mr. Doom, Brett, etc. It's only so hard going to several tournaments, let alone huge tournaments that are very far away from where I live. On the other hand, I hope that what I've contributed for the past two years with my experience with matchups, my input about several aspects about the game, as well as my advice to some of the newer players have benefited the boards. In the end, it's probably the person who does well in tournaments representing Ike that stands out the most, but I hope that everything I've done for the Boards has received some recognition. It honestly has been a real blast testing different things out, playing different people, learning new things, trying out new things, and above all, becoming a better analyzer. Of course, my experience with the game wasn't without any frustrations. Difficult matchups, arrogant players who were annoying, and sometimes, extreme immaturity often made me wanna punch a wall. (I've thrown controllers at walls when I raged before). But I reiterate, it's been a great experience and I hope that people don't forget who I was.

And with that, I'd like to finish up saying that for those of you who will continue to play this game competitively, good luck and I wish you the best. But not only that, I'd like to provide some advice. For one, don't give up when things reach rock-bottom for you. I know for a fact that when I reached a wall because of the Meta Knight matchup or some other frustrating aspect of the game, I would always think of giving up. But it's at this point where one can improve drastically. Keep playing the game and try different things. You will improve, I guarantee it. Another thing is to ask players who are better than you for advice. These players are obviously seasoned in the game and have a lot of information about it. Why not ask them to share this information with you so you can get better? And finally, in tournaments, play only for yourself. Don't focus so much on others, but focus purely on your own game. The moment your mind wanders, that's the moment when you will lose a match. Keep your mind calm and retain your concentration on how you'll approach a certain match or other aspects about your own game. All these tips sound cliche, but I know that for myself, these guidelines have helped me to keep my focus and perform better in tournaments.

I hope that this long line of text won't discourage any of you from quitting the competitive scene. If your desire is to keep playing Brawl competitively, then go for it. Good luck to all of you, and I hope that all of you make the right decisions not only in Brawl, but life in general. Love you all. Kimchi signing out.
[16:35] Kimchi: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10761335&postcount=252
[16:39] ThatAsianYouKnow: UR A ******
[16:39] ThatAsianYouKnow: ****
[16:39] ThatAsianYouKnow: ;-;
[16:40] Kimchi: yeah

BBQTV

Smash Master
kimchi your still loged on smashboards even though you said your signing off

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
We'll miss you around here Kimchi, granted we already have for some time now, heh. Your contributions to the boards won't be forgotten, and your name will be immortalized in the Video Critique Thread among other places. Good luck in life man! :)

:034:

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Youll be back, they always come back!

Mostly youll find yourself bored for a moment and realize the social aspect is why youll keep communicating with the brawl players. I really never play and I still hang out with all my crew members despite leaving ZB months ago.

That said, enjoy college life. Go out, **** *****es, get money.

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DINrzQdIg

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Best part of that goodbye speech was how Kimchi didn't capitalize San's name. Someone being a hater. Also, it's kinda ironic how I was asking Penta about Kimchi yesterday LOL.

And I'll agree with Ryko. One reason I keep coming back is the community. Made some good friends, and they are fun to hang out with outside of Smash (Shoutout to my homies in Austin).

I've also gone through those spells of being bored with the game, but at one point, you become bored in general with everything around you, and after a break, you go back to it. Definitely don't find the game stressful at the moment, cause I just try to have fun with it. I think it was last Phase, I was in losers playing Rocket Trainer, and we were trash talking and smiling during our tourny match. Mr. Doom is witness.

In any case, you'll come crawling back to us, and we'll (me) joke about how you just went off to study at some SAT/College Prep camp, and fell in love with some azn chick when she derived a calculus problem without breaking a sweat. Then she broke your heart when you saw her working with a kid smarter than you, and brawl was your get away. You'll asked to be taken back, and we'll be reluctant, cause we show no sympathy, and then Metroid will come out of lurker status and give a Denzel Washington speech about forgiving people, and all will be good again.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Best part of that goodbye speech was how Kimchi didn't capitalize San's name.
To be fair, San didn't even capitalize it himself for his screen name.

And yah, I've been through the whole thinking I'm past Brawl and then coming back to it months later. Not everyone comes back, but most do; I know a few people who haven't.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
In other news, I'm affording no sympathy to people who spam that San vs Xyro thread, already handed out some warnings
(you guys have been fine, just venting about the non-Ike regulars in here)
... infractions are next if it continues. I can't wait to close that thing tbh... it's just gonna be a trolling/spamfest once they're done the set.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Even though I really haven't been here long, have fun with the rest of your life Kimchi. But at least come by and say hi or lurk.

How is this ironic? I'm sorry but when I see an obvious misuse of the word ironic it grinds my gears.
Because we were talking about his lack of activity in Brawl? Next day, he announces his retirement. Maybe you should add another word to your studies. Infer.

Edit: NYS, what kinda posts did you warn? I just wanna know how to go about my posting in there.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
As much I as hate posts that are just "Fix'd" with a changed quote and nothing else, I'll let yours slide cause you at least didn't do a 10char thing like the last one. Any more of those will get warned/infracted though. And basically just anything that's a very short post with no real content... if you want to make a comment on how you think it'll play out or a decent discussion starts up on something related to the MU, that's fine, but posts that are completely pointless or that have nothing to do with the OP have been and will be warned.

Like I said though, you guys have been fine... I'm more concerned about the people who never visit the Ike boards and come in just to post two words in a random thread.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I would have said it was a coincidence that you guys were discussing Kimchi's inactivity the day before he declares he's done with Brawl. It would have been ironic if you guys had concluded that Kimchi would likely never play Brawl again and then the very next day he announces his return to the competitive scene with results from a new tourney he placed well in.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
It is like dramatic irony, actually (and also like definition 5), and it's how the word is very (most?) commonly used. The only difference is that there is no formal audience to know it is ironic.

Edit:
I don't think Kimchi is coming back online, so I'll have to try and catch him on AIM sometime to give him my regards.

Craysyn, I think we can better immortalize his name and contributions (which I will not forget) by quoting his post and putting it into the mental game section of the guide.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
Just stopped by to say hi from being away for so long. How's life treating everyone here? I'm doing great. Getting paid well and I started classes yesterday so i got a good 3 months or so before I graduate! w00t.

Oh yea and see ya Kimchi!

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
It could be dramatic irony but not really (unless all life was a play and some supreme being was the audience and knew what was going to happen). It definitely isn't 5 though since it says:
an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
Doesn't seem that what happened was the opposite of what would have been expected, unless what Nysyrac said happened instead or you expected his return.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
They were talking about his inactivity in Brawl. And probably wondering when he'd show up again. That's how I took it.
If so, then this is still irony, because Kimchi quitting the next day was the opposite of expected.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just stopped by to say hi from being away for so long. How's life treating everyone here? I'm doing great. Getting paid well and I started classes yesterday so i got a good 3 months or so before I graduate! w00t.

Oh yea and see ya Kimchi!
Good to see you Ben. I read your blog post on AiB. Anyways, hope you can respond to this. What are your plans on returning to brawl?

@ the irony thing: It's done with now. I don't even remember what Penta and I were talking about exactly, and it's not worth my time to go check to see who's right.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Which is why I said:
unless what Nysyrac said happened instead or you expected his return.
What you said was the latter. So I'm guessing you thought he would come back eventually and that's irony for you. I didn't think he would come back and he announced his retirement, so it's not irony for me.

Dropping it now.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ben's come to visit? Hope the force is going well for you.

I just came back from P4's smashfest a second ago. Got to play great players like Razer, Illimatic, Esca, Jerm, and more. Didn't get to play Xyro yet, but I'm planning to come again on Monday =D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
San won the tourny there to boot. Apparently Illmatic SD'ed on their third match at Brinstar. San, what's your take on the Peach MU after playing one of the best, if not the best Peach in the nation?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Dang, he's that good? That's pretty awesome. I don't recall the SD on brinstar, but I killed him very early with upair where I was only at low % like 40. I noticed he had a problem regaining momentum once he lost it. My thoughts about peach are are still around the same. Peach needed to do more punishes to receive the same effect than I did.

I didn't win. I beat Razer 3-1 in winner's finals, and in grand finals, I was losing 1st set, 1-2 to Razer(there was still another), and I had to go (got to prepare for leave and wedding)

Top Bottom